If you buy resale, but also buy some points direct from Disney, do you still qualify...

deedubb

Always Grumpy, except when at Disney!
for the benefits from buying directly from Disney that they have now eliminated for resale buyers?

Say I buy 200 points resale, and another 100 points for the same resort directly from Disney, would this be the same as buying all 300 through Disney?

If you buy a resale contract for 200 points, then buy 25 direct through Disney, you get all the perks***.

*** Certain perks only.

Last edited:
Yes and no. You'll have access to Membership Extras, and you'll be eligible to book the member cruise, but you will not be able to use your resale points to book the cruise or other point-based "perks."

I imagine it won't be long before Disney raises that 25 point requirement for that blue card.

The resale points never become "qualified," which is suggested in the question. You get the discounts, but those resale points can never be used to book a cruise or the Disneyland Hotel.

The resale points never become "qualified," which is suggested in the question. You get the discounts, but those resale points can never be used to book a cruise or the Disneyland Hotel.

So any resale points can only be used at WDW, not Disneyland or any other DVC properties? I would definitely want to use them in California periodically.

So any resale points can only be used at WDW, not Disneyland or any other DVC properties? I would definitely want to use them in California periodically.
DVC points can always be used at DVC resorts. They can also be traded through RCI. But they can't be used at Disney hotels.

There are 2011 restrictions and 2016 restrictions. 2011 restricted the use of points outside the system. 2016 restricted the membership from certain perks. You can overcome the membership restrictions by purchasing direct, but only direct-purchased points are qualified for points benefits.

Resale points can be used at DVC properties, including the Villas at the Grand Californian, HHI and Vero Beach.

The Disneyland Hotel is not DVC.

Talked to a guide about this last week. From what she said, it sounds like there are some updates coming on the horizon where the Membership Extras may change to saying something along the lines of "Membership Extras are available to those members that have purchased at least XXX number of points directly from DVD". She said the numbers being discussed hover in the 160 points range, and "grandfathered" points will not count towards it. It will be simply did you purchase at least XX amount from DVD or not regardless of the date you purchased them. Now, that may just be salesmanship, but I have not known Disney guides to be untruthful like other timeshare sales people. I purchased 50 points direct to go along with the resale I have in motion...but I cant imagine buying another 110 direct for the extras.

I also cant imagine Disney actually wanting to lower the resale value of contracts (and cut off the fountain of direct small-contract sales) that would result from such a policy. But, she said it was coming, just a matter of time.

Talked to a guide about this last week. From what she said, it sounds like there are some updates coming on the horizon where the Membership Extras may change to saying something along the lines of "Membership Extras are available to those members that have purchased at least XXX number of points directly from DVD". She said the numbers being discussed hover in the 160 points range, and "grandfathered" points will not count towards it. It will be simply did you purchase at least XX amount from DVD or not regardless of the date you purchased them. Now, that may just be salesmanship, but I have not known Disney guides to be untruthful like other timeshare sales people. I purchased 50 points direct to go along with the resale I have in motion...but I cant imagine buying another 110 direct for the extras.

I also cant imagine Disney actually wanting to lower the resale value of contracts (and cut off the fountain of direct small-contract sales) that would result from such a policy. But, she said it was coming, just a matter of time.

Thanks for the info. Can't say I would be surprised by this.

They would grandfather.

If not at first, then after the uproar.

Buying a 25 point contract NOW, while it still creates direct membership for benefits, will be a great idea until proven otherwise.

But I agree that won't work forever or even for much longer. Clock is ticking.

I am hoping they grandfather...in fact, I am betting on it with my 50 points direct I just purchased. Even though the guide says they aren't going to...just seems like it would be a bad move on their part not too...there would be an uproar

Of course that was said about other perks DVC lost over time like free passes when staying on points that we used to get in the 90's, the free valet parking we lost about 10 years ago...

I can’t imagine them not grandfathering in direct buyers that own less than 160 direct points. Some buyers may own ONLY direct, and still have points in the 100-150 range. Some have DVC for a once a year trip, and so owning less than 160 points works fine for them. Many people buy a smaller contract initially and then add on. If DVD starts treating customers this way, they will lose a lot of potential repeat customers.

The info they sent me indicates that if you are buying from them, there is a 100 point minimum purchase. How are people purchasing 25 points? I'll have to ask them about this.

I can’t imagine them not grandfathering in direct buyers that own less than 160 direct points. Some buyers may own ONLY direct, and still have points in the 100-150 range. Some have DVC for a once a year trip, and so owning less than 160 points works fine for them. Many people buy a smaller contract initially and then add on. If DVD starts treating customers this way, they will lose a lot of potential repeat customers.

This is us essentially. We bought into the Poly and own a total of 100 points direct since that is all we need for our vacation needs. We started with 70pts and just recently added on 30pts as we got a better idea of what our needs were. I would definitely not be happy if they went down this route where people who own less then 160 direct points do not get access to benefits for direct buyers. I understand that benefits can go away at any time but this would seriously be uncool.

The info they sent me indicates that if you are buying from them, there is a 100 point minimum purchase. How are people purchasing 25 points? I'll have to ask them about this.

You can do a minimum 25pt add on if you are already a DVC owner and can pay cash for the purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter