If they don't give me a DAS I dunno what I'm gonna do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threatening the CM that you will be unruly if they don't give you a DAS? Not good advice.
I agree.
I have seen some posts on other sites from people who tried that and were basically told that Disney was not a good place for them to visit and that if they became loud and/or disruptive to other guests, they would be told to leave.

Threatening the CM that you will be unruly if they don't give you a DAS? Not good advice.
I said no such thing.

What I know is that a lot of people with anxiety make a deliberate effort to put out a brave front when inside they are shrill half screaming basket cases. That's kinda the vibe I got off the OPs letter. I'm giving her humanity's permission to present herself as she feels instead of how she may comport herself along traditional rules of decorum because it is the real feeling person the CM has a duty to evaluate for potential accommodation.

It is a fact that, "without help they will have a most unmagical guest loudly touring their parks." Or if not loudly unmagical then at least visibly unmagical. On this particular expression I beg a small degree of poetic license. And while this hypothetical interview is an opportunity for the CM to demonstrate some award winning customer service, and Disney magic level appreciation of such a dedicated guest, I never said, nor would I ever suggest, threatening a CM in any way. In fact, I was very insistent that even if the CM is not able to come through for her, she will have a support system in place to give her the help she needs.

I agree.
I have seen some posts on other sites from people who tried that and were basically told that Disney was not a good place for them to visit and that if they became loud and/or disruptive to other guests, they would be told to leave.
That was certainly a common, and somewhat saddening, community response to this post. "Visiting the most magical place on earth presents some significant challenges to you? Well maybe you shouldn't go."

Not, "Well lets see what you can do in order to have an awesome vacation." just, "Have you considered not going?"

What other disabled person would you say this to? "You're worried that your Lou Gehrig's Disease will make it too hard to go to Disney World? Well have you considered just staying in your home forever?" Come on. We can be better than this.

What I know is that a lot of people with anxiety make a deliberate effort to put out a brave front when inside they are shrill half screaming basket cases.

Then it would have been more reasonable to say this, rather than "Don't be afraid to play it a little high pitched, whatever it takes to let them know that without help they will have a most unmagical guest loudly touring their parks. "

That detailed response was excellent. I 'liked' it, then changed my mind based on the last paragraph. Some/many people, as demonstrated here, take things literally.

OP I imagine with being on that high of a prescription daily (12 mg a day is a ton) you are under the care of a mental health professional. Please Please Please discuss with them the massive anxiety you are still experiencing. This isn't just about this trip but your day to day life.

With that said it looks like you are going to Disneyland and have about 3 months. In that amount of time it would be best to start working on daily skills that will also help at Disneyland. If you are only leaving your house twice a month what is your plan of action for getting to Disney, checking into your hotel, getting to the parks daily, waiting at the turnstiles, etc? Practice what you can now and figure out a coping mechanism. Work with your health care team to figure out what works for you. Also for your own health demand something other than Xanax. With what you shared in your OP that isn't working. Maybe with their help you can be prepared for a

OP
I hope you will be able to enjoy ur vacation, wherever it ends up being. Seek the DAS and
Keep forging ahead!
best of luck to you!

That was certainly a common, and somewhat saddening, community response to this post. "Visiting the most magical place on earth presents some significant challenges to you? Well maybe you shouldn't go."

Not, "Well lets see what you can do in order to have an awesome vacation." just, "Have you considered not going?"

What other disabled person would you say this to? "You're worried that your Lou Gehrig's Disease will make it too hard to go to Disney World? Well have you considered just staying in your home forever?" Come on. We can be better than this.

I can't speak for other posters but if someone with Lou Gehrig's came on the boards and said I don't leave my house more then 2 days a month due to my illness and I know I will just be wasting money with out the DAS then I would probably suggest the same thing. Work with your medical team to come up with a plan of action to get you out in a day to day situation more and then think about Disney. Any Disney park is like a full on 10 on a scale of what it mentally and physically takes to get there so if you are currently home bound making it to Disney is a large jump to shoot for. Not impossible by any means but is it wrong to suggest to reconsider the time line on how quickly a person can make it to the parks?

I would say that to anyone actually. Life threatening allergies, physical disabilities, mental disabilities, illness, emotional disorders all can get to a point where Walt Disney World can no longer accommodate them in a way to keep them safe and meet their needs. Yes, Disney should and does try to meet the needs of everyone, but there are limits. If those accommodations aren't enough, then the person might have to admit that they can't go to Disney World. The OP has periods where she can only be around her family, but she is planning to go to the most popular theme park in the world. A DAS can help, but Disney can't guarantee she will never be in a crowd for an extended period of time. The only way to guarantee that is to shut down the park, which isn't reasonable. That is like going to a peanut butter factory with an airborne peanut allergy and expecting them to shutdown production and clean the plant so you can take a tour.

I will agree that sometimes the only solution is not going someplace. For example I grew up on the beach. I spent more time there than at home during the summers. When my dd was a baby we brought her to the beach so she can enjoy what I had my whole childhood. It was a disaster. She had a sensory processing issue, which we knew but did not realize the beach would trigger it. Every time sand touched her or me she freaked out. The only "safe" place for her my my lap or my moms lap. It took several years of therapy and desensitization but she eventually got to where she can tolerate the beach- not love- but tolerate. So for us for several year a beach vacation was not reasonable. They can't remove the sand and Disney can't remove the crowds and lines.

I said no such thing.

What I know is that a lot of people with anxiety make a deliberate effort to put out a brave front when inside they are shrill half screaming basket cases. That's kinda the vibe I got off the OPs letter. I'm giving her humanity's permission to present herself as she feels instead of how she may comport herself along traditional rules of decorum because it is the real feeling person the CM has a duty to evaluate for potential accommodation.

It is a fact that, "without help they will have a most unmagical guest loudly touring their parks." Or if not loudly unmagical then at least visibly unmagical. On this particular expression I beg a small degree of poetic license. And while this hypothetical interview is an opportunity for the CM to demonstrate some award winning customer service, and Disney magic level appreciation of such a dedicated guest, I never said, nor would I ever suggest, threatening a CM in any way. In fact, I was very insistent that even if the CM is not able to come through for her, she will have a support system in place to give her the help she needs.

Stating the fact that one would be loud and 'unmagical' if not given something is indeed a threat. Your new explanation puts a twist on the original, but that is not what you stated before. Thank you for your new explanation.

I have issues myself - there are things I know I cannot do without having a setback, or even a life threatening consequence. I've had to change course in my life a few times to balance these issues. I've been told, and come to the the logical conclusion myself, that there are situations I need to avoid or handle very, very cautiously. So, yes, I have no problem telling people to think twice about something fraught with serious complications.

So, if I had ALS, and going to WDW would be hard on all members of my family, I'd have a meeting with them to see if it was worth the effort. There would be a lot of 'what if' questions - what if I got too sick to go to the parks? What if I had to be hospitalized while there? What if all I could do was wait for others to ride? What if I died while we were there? If most of those answers came back that it wasn't worth going, then we wouldn't go. It would be my responsibility, not Disney's, to make sure it was reasonable for me to go, and that I did everything I could while there to take care of myself.

I would wait on going to Disney and work with your theripest on just getting out of your house more. I would not go to Disney if you are only leaving your house as few time as you do.

I have wanted for a long time to go to Disney on New Year's Eve I have gone to Disney a few times (ok 30-40) trips to Disney and finding what works for me and going with a friend we both feel like it can be doable I know how to spot when I am having problems and what to do what rides line I have the hard times in and so on.

What I am saying is start working on going out more in your town go out for dinner go to the zoo or a festival and then work your way up this way if you need to leave you have your comfort of your house. I am not saying that you need to wait until you do not need a DAS. I am saying wait where you can leave your house every day and go somewhere where you can have dinner out at a quiet place and be ok for 30-45 minutes

This is when I would go and use the trip as a reward for your hard work

I have and will say it again to many people, some of whom are relatives and friends. I have ALSO said it to MYSELF as i KNOW MY LIMITATIONS.

one trip, I was in the HA boarding area where we were directed to stand in a large square next to another family in a large square. the mother SCREAMED at me to get away from her child( also in a wheelchair) as her precious baby was on immunosuppressive therapy and absolutely could not be around germs. my response? "Join the club. oh and BTW if he was really that much in danger then why isn't he in a surgical mask, and why on earth did you think bringing him to Disney was a viable plan?!" (his was right around the measles outbreak that originated in DL) of course I got a lengthy diatribe telling me to mind my own business and to move over one square or she was going o make the CM move me. My response: "The CM TOLD ME this was where I had to go. by this time of course the third ( and last) area was now occupied by a little old lady in an ECV.

Bottom line, the OP states she has extremely high levels of anxiety( the Rx alone means she cannot function in society at all) and has left herself zero time to progress enough to even entertain the vague hope that a trip to Disney is even wishful thinking. if you are convinced that if you do not get a DAS that you will be 'loudly unmagical' then you are NOT READY TO GO. therefore, Disney is under zero obligation to bend over backwards for you. they have an obligation to protect the majority of their customers' experience and expectations.

people with disabilities should NOT be coddled or insist that they deserve to experience X thing. I do NOT deserve to go zip lining just because I want to go. no-one 'deserves' to go to Disney, let alone be able to dictate their experience there. I have deliberately turned down several enjoyable things because I know my limitations are greater than what would be expected of me. I deliberately choose the more expensive plane seats because my disability means that buying economy means I would not be able to function upon arrival. I do not deserve too get business or First class for the same price as economy just because I am handicapped( and this extends to ALL of them, physical, mental and emotional)

I have and will say it again to many people, some of whom are relatives and friends. I have ALSO said it to MYSELF as i KNOW MY LIMITATIONS.

one trip, I was in the HA boarding area where we were directed to stand in a large square next to another family in a large square. the mother SCREAMED at me to get away from her child( also in a wheelchair) as her precious baby was on immunosuppressive therapy and absolutely could not be around germs. my response? "Join the club. oh and BTW if he was really that much in danger then why isn't he in a surgical mask, and why on earth did you think bringing him to Disney was a viable plan?!" (his was right around the measles outbreak that originated in DL) of course I got a lengthy diatribe telling me to mind my own business and to move over one square or she was going o make the CM move me. My response: "The CM TOLD ME this was where I had to go. by this time of course the third ( and last) area was now occupied by a little old lady in an ECV.

Bottom line, the OP states she has extremely high levels of anxiety( the Rx alone means she cannot function in society at all) and has left herself zero time to progress enough to even entertain the vague hope that a trip to Disney is even wishful thinking. if you are convinced that if you do not get a DAS that you will be 'loudly unmagical' then you are NOT READY TO GO. therefore, Disney is under zero obligation to bend over backwards for you. they have an obligation to protect the majority of their customers' experience and expectations.

people with disabilities should NOT be coddled or insist that they deserve to experience X thing. I do NOT deserve to go zip lining just because I want to go. no-one 'deserves' to go to Disney, let alone be able to dictate their experience there. I have deliberately turned down several enjoyable things because I know my limitations are greater than what would be expected of me. I deliberately choose the more expensive plane seats because my disability means that buying economy means I would not be able to function upon arrival. I do not deserve too get business or First class for the same price as economy just because I am handicapped( and this extends to ALL of them, physical, mental and emotional)

That's a new one. I don't think that lady understands the nature of germs at all. Wow. If I didn't want to catch something, the list of places to avoid would be topped with "elementary schools, airplanes, hotels, and theme parks".

I agree. We're not being meanies by telling her she shouldn't go. That prescription and the fact she can't even leave her house often means this isn't going to be a successful trip. When she goes, I want her to enjoy herself. She isn't going to enjoy herself at this point and it would be a waste of money and probably a major setback if she had an encounter like this poster did.

There are SO MANY more suitable vacations out there. she should pick something that wouldn't be a huge stressor, away from the crowds. Baby steps!

I just cant wait a long time near alot of ppl.

So like, that's Disney for you these days. Thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of people jammed into Parks, being herded into attractions, being forced to "keep walking! This is NOT a viewing area!'" through the HUB. Security is going to make you stand in line with everyone else. Waiting at Guest Services is going to be with everyone else. Eating at a restaurant? There's going to be tons of noise, chaos, and people winding all over the place. Need to use a bathroom? Tons of lines, filled with people...

Start practicing your "too many people in this crowd" skills because I assure you, Disney is much more crowded than you can imagine... ;) and MOST of it has NOTHING to do with the rides!

OP is the countdown in your signature correct you're also going to DLR in October? In general, DLR in Oct is probably more crowded that many times of the year at WDW. But if you happen to be going October 6-8, that is Gay Days and will be especially crowded. Do you have a plan for that trip as well?

Stating the fact that one would be loud and 'unmagical' if not given something is indeed a threat. Your new explanation puts a twist on the original, but that is not what you stated before. Thank you for your new explanation.
I never suggested that the OP should say anything at all. Only that she should not be afraid to be a little high pitched.
This is what I wrote:
Don't be afraid to play it a little high pitched, whatever it takes to let them know that without help they will have a most unmagical guest loudly touring their parks. But just remember, whatever help they give you, or don't you'll have a husband nearby that cares and ... You'll be alright.

The OP stated that without a DAS she would have a miserable (I transposed that to, unmagical) day. The OP stated that without a DAS, she was likely to "Freak Out". She believes this to be true, and even if I have a little more optimism on the subject it is her beliefs that should be communicated to Guest Relations. I only advised her to do so without reservation.

Characterizing this as telling her to threaten a CM, misrepresents what I wrote entirely. Because some people might not understand that high-pitched describes how someone with an anxiety disorder feels, or that some people, feeling this way nevertheless restrict the way they express themselves by affecting a calmer demeanor, I explained this as the basis for my advice. If it made my advice clearer for you, then you're welcome. But it does not alter the original advice to the OP.

That detailed response was excellent.
You liked it because that was the answer I would have written if you had asked the question (about someone else).

The OP has periods where she can only be around her family,
Me too.
but she is planning to go to the most popular theme park in the world.
Yep. I go at least once a year.
A DAS can help, but Disney can't guarantee she will never be in a crowd for an extended period of time. The only way to guarantee that is to shut down the park, which isn't reasonable.
You're right, that isn't reasonable. And literally no one is suggesting it.

Bottom line, the OP states she has extremely high levels of anxiety
Yep. Me too. I still go to WDW at least once a year.

( the Rx alone means she cannot function in society at all)
Is that what they teach in med school now? I presented my masters thesis with 6mg in me taken together. The OP is talking about 4mg 3 times a day (I'm guessing) or spread out across a waking day in some other way. Stating that someone taking a prescription medicine means they "cannot function in society at all" is deeply offensive.

if you are convinced that if you do not get a DAS that you will be 'loudly unmagical' then you are NOT READY TO GO.
The OP didn't say this. She said she is likely to "freak out" if she is confined amid large crowds and believes them to be talking about her. Freaking out is something I have seen in Disney every single time I've gone. In my own rather subdued way I've done it myself. Everyone who freaks out at Disney(for whatever reason) or feels that they might is "not ready to go"? I characterized her description as "loudly unmagical" and meant it in the sense of one who is, apparent to all, having a poor time.

Disney is under zero obligation to bend over backwards for you. they have an obligation to protect the majority of their customers' experience and expectations.
You are absolutely correct, and exactly zero people so far have suggested that Disney is under any such obligation.

There are SO MANY more suitable vacations out there. she should pick something that wouldn't be a huge stressor, away from the crowds.
Sometimes people aren't satisfied with what others decide is suitable for them. I know that I, and many people I've met with anxiety disorders, know exactly how much stress we are capable of withstanding. We know that that amount is not going to be comfortable and contemplating doing stressful things is scary as hell and we often need the encouragement of a supportive community to achieve our goals.

This is a true fact, I spent a year, hiding in my closet. Even at my worst, a day in a Disney park, crowds and all, was roborative. I even enjoy the fireworks when I'm at Disney.

You still have to wait in the fast pass lines even with a DAS.

They'll give you a return time, and you'll come back, scan your band, and get in the fast pass line. Which is still a line and can be anywhere from a 5-25 minute wait.

Closing at this point because the question has been answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter