If photos are important to you do you use a camera or phone?

PairOfDice

Mouseketeer
My 6plus doesn't take the best pictures but I used it on my last trip and, while it got the job done, I wasn't thrilled with the results. I have a Canon 40d but haven't even considered carrying it around for four days. It's just too heavy and bulky. I know I'd love the results, though. I also have a Canon G16 and it's a great camera for its size. I'm considering taking it for two out of four days and not worrying about pictures as much on the other days.
If I had an iPhone X I would just use that and it would be so convenient but I tend to not upgrade unless I really need to. It takes amazing pictures.
I was just curious about how other people feel about taking cameras into the parks or if most people use their phone if having photos are important to them.

I've always been more than satisfied with my iPhone pics. I brought my DSLR one year and it was just way too much to haul around.

I just printed a photo my daughter took on her iphone 7 (for a scrapbook page). I was shocked at just how bad it was. It looked fine on the screen, but terrible when printed out. So it depends on what you plan to use them for. If you ever plan to print anything, I'd take a decent camera. If you're just going to share online or view them on your phone, go with the phone.

I bring the good camera (Canon 6D Mark II), but I use the phone (iPhone 8+) quite a bit. I have a pretty good camera backpack that keeps me from getting too sore, and I’ll occasionally leave it back in the room when I know we’re not going to be doing anything that needs lowlight or anything extra special, but for anything in the evening, it’s a must have!

Do you really take that many pics. On the first trip yes we took so many. DD was 3. We had PP+. We have soooooo many pics. Every trip since then we have take n less and less. We once brought our Nikon DSLR but both DH and I like being hands free and not worrying about bringing many things to the parks. With MP pics are included and for the ones that are not my iPhone does ok. We have a go pro that we take DD10 likes using it too.

We now try to enjoy more our days and being there than worrying about pics.

My iPhone 6S takes good enough pictures for me, and we have PhotoPass on our APs, so we have the CMs take our pictures with their better cameras. We have taken our Canon once, but it was a cooler day and we pre-planned it for taking pictures in areas without CM photographers.

Well, we go frequently, so I take my DSLR probably once every couple of months and focus on taking particularly fun/nice pictures on those days... otherwise it's just my phone + Photopass. I've been disappointed with the removal of Photopass from Princess Fantasy Faire, Frozen, and Star Wars meet and greets, as those were previously locations I counted on getting good photos, and now my phone just can't hack it... so we don't even do them that often anymore. I did take my DSLR around with me when we went to Disney World... I feel like taking your camera in on a day or two but leaving it behind on other days is a good compromise.

I feel like as much of a hassle as the camera is, I so often regret not having it when I don't... we just got back from Hawaii, and the one night I didn't take my camera to dinner, we saw the most amazing, gorgeous sunset after dinner and I wished I had it!

A7s for mostly video and the more purposefull (or challenging) photos, our pixel 2's for casual run and gun or for taking pictures while the A7s is taking video.

Do you really take that many pics. On the first trip yes we took so many. DD was 3. We had PP+. We have soooooo many pics. Every trip since then we have take n less and less. We once brought our Nikon DSLR but both DH and I like being hands free and not worrying about bringing many things to the parks. With MP pics are included and for the ones that are not my iPhone does ok. We have a go pro that we take DD10 likes using it too.

We now try to enjoy more our days and being there than worrying about pics.

It's not a matter of taking sooooooo many pictures. It's a matter of having good pictures of what we want to remember. I'm not taking so many pictures that it causes me to not enjoy the parks and my family. I take enough pictures so that when I want to document the trip I have pictures to show the highlights and what we enjoyed the most.

I have an iPhone X (love it) and replaced my iPhone 6. Photos on the 6 were good, but not nearly as good as my X. I have a full Canon SLR but no desire what-so-ever to lug it around. At Disney we used my phone and used the Photo Pass, worked great and had all the photos on my phone when I wanted to see them.

I take my Canon 5d every time, cross body strap and my 20mm wide angle lens (although that lens died during our trip to Disneyland in April.. sniff).

I take my Canon 5d every time, cross body strap and my 20mm wide angle lens (although that lens died during our trip to Disneyland in April.. sniff).

When you're on rides, especially water rides, how do you keep your camera safe? My purse was all over the place on Guardians. I can't imagine how much I'd worry if I had my "good" camera.

I take a lot of photos on vacation. I only use my Google Pixel 2. I chose this phone because of the camera.
I don't think I would take an actual camera out of my pack very often.

Looks for a point and shoot with a good optical zoom as that will easily fit in a pocket.

I have a great Casio Elixim point and shoot that you can't buy in the US, though you can buy it on Amazon through 3rd party sellers. It's 16.1 mega pixels and has an 18x optical zoom with more digital zoom of course.

I took the folling phots in Seattle a couple years ago before our Alaskan Cruise. In the top photo look for the square to the right on the video screen where it says Pepsi. The second photo is zoomed (using the digital zoom) in on the exit sign that is in that square to give you an idea what it can do zoom wise.

CIMG2191_zpscuagiekq.jpg
[/URL]

Looks for a point and shoot with a good optical zoom as that will easily fit in a pocket.

I have a great Casio Elixim point and shoot that you can't buy in the US, though you can buy it on Amazon through 3rd party sellers. It's 16.1 mega pixels and has an 18x optical zoom with more digital zoom of course.

I took the folling phots in Seattle a couple years ago before our Alaskan Cruise. In the top photo look for the square to the right on the video screen where it says Pepsi. The second photo is zoomed (using the digital zoom) in on the exit sign that is in that square to give you an idea what it can do zoom wise.

That's basically what my Canon G16 is.

I have an iPhone 7 and so does my dh. While I’ve taken some wonderful photos with it I find it doesn’t work very well in low light situations or when the target is moving. We recently replaced our old DSLR and video camera with a DSLR that does both and we love it. It’s lighter weight than our old DSLR even though the photos are just as good. I found that the key for comfort though was to replace the lousy strap it came with with one that was much more comfortable. I found a cute travel themed one on Etsy that even has a small pocket perfect for hold cash/credit cards or more cards for my camera. If the rechargeable battery is small it could probably hold that as well.

When you're on rides, especially water rides, how do you keep your camera safe? My purse was all over the place on Guardians. I can't imagine how much I'd worry if I had my "good" camera.
Mine is almost always out. The only DLR ride it would be put away on is GRR. For Splash, I use a rain sleeve. I love on ride photography and prefer to keep it ready to shoot. I use a cross body strap, so it's always secure, although sometimes I also wrap the strap around my hand.
I'm always looking to go wide and fast. Is that a 2.8 lens? Very tempting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!