If our Canadian Disneyworld tickets expire unused, what happens?

I'm hoping that Disney will come up with a work around for the Canadian Residence tickets. The tickets will retain the value Airmiles paid Disney for them. I'm hoping they will allow up to do something so that we can book FP. Time will tell.

Your tickets purchased through Disney you should be able to get a refund on. MNSSHP purchased through AM you may get lucky with AM. They just put all returned tickets back up on the website for purchase.

They only way I see you getting AM back for the hotels is if the hotels cancel the reservations.

Sorry, :(

ok so at this point . Im thinking cancel August ..
Go in Dec if possible with no trip to Disney except to guest services where I change my tickets then for an Easter trip. Would this be possible ? There by giving me 60+ days for fastpasses
Use my discovery cove credit in December. And make use of the sea world free visits and our Busch garden fun pass that I believe has been extended . Stay the 2 nights at Riviera 24/25 so we can have a beautiful view etc stay somewhere else the rest of the December trip .
I think my JetBlue flight credits for August can go towards Easter.
thoughts ?
This is so freaking complicated .

I'm hoping that Disney will come up with a work around for the Canadian Residence tickets. The tickets will retain the value Airmiles paid Disney for them. I'm hoping they will allow up to do something so that we can book FP. Time will tell.

Your tickets purchased through Disney you should be able to get a refund on. MNSSHP purchased through AM you may get lucky with AM. They just put all returned tickets back up on the website for purchase.

They only way I see you getting AM back for the hotels is if the hotels cancel the reservations.

ok so at this point . Im thinking cancel August ..
Go in Dec if possible with no trip to Disney except to guest services where I change my tickets then for an Easter trip. Would this be possible ? There by giving me 60+ days for fastpasses
Use my discovery cove credit in December. And make use of the sea world free visits and our Busch garden fun pass that I believe has been extended . Stay the 2 nights at Riviera 24/25 so we can have a beautiful view etc stay somewhere else the rest of the December trip .
I think my JetBlue flight credits for August can go towards Easter.
thoughts ?
This is so freaking complicated .

From everything I've been hearing it is highly unlikely that our border will be opened before the end of the summer. I couldn't believe that when I heard it but it makes a lot of sense given what's happening north and south of the border.

Keep in mind the medical insurance issue for your potential December trip. I'm not planning on returning to Orlando until this thing is all over. It's just not worth the risk.

It might be 2023 before we get back there. At that point I will take my Canadian tickets and purchase two tickets for later in the year for DH and I. We will be taking all the boys and their significant others in the spring that year. My airfare I might use in Canada before it runs out. With Air Canada I don't have to fly to the same destination just the same people need to travel.

If you've already lost the money (ie can't cancel) just wait and see what happens. This is a crazy world we live in right now and who knows what tomorrow will bring. Snowbirds flight overhead maybe!

I sent an email re my Canadian tickets & refunding. Our trip was originally for July 29th to pick up my JCP daughter. Since her job was cancelled by Disney, we had to change our plans.

The email said:

”... tickets with a valid use period beginning March 12, 2020, through the closure will automatically be extended to use through December 15,2020.
If you are unable to visit by December 15,2020, you may apply the value of a wholly unused ticket toward the purchase of a ticket for a future date. That future date can be anytime in 2021.”

Update: Out of curiosity, I checked my tickets on MDE again. They now are showing an expiry of Sept 21, 2021. So they are good to go at their original price — don’t need to ask for credit unless going after that date. Now, let’s hope all is good next summer!

I just checked MDE for the first time in months and now our linked Cdn Resident flexible date tickets show as Valid: Oct.16, 2019 to Dec.31, 2030 on the main screen under tickets. I don’t remember the dates stated there before. Anyone else see this with their tickets before. Does this mean FP can now be booked after Dec 31, 2020. (Which is original valid-to date for FP purposes, given when AM were redeemed for these tickets)

Last edited:
I just checked MDE for the first time in months and now our linked Cdn Resident flexible date tickets show as Valid: Oct.16, 2019 to Dec.31, 2030 on the main screen under tickets. I don’t remember the dates stated there before. Anyone else see this with their tickets before. Does this mean FP can now be booked after Dec 31, 2020. (Which is original valid-to date for FP purposes, given when AM were redeemed for these tickets)

Awesome expiry date!

Right now Disney has suspended all reservations — dining, fastpass, experiences etc. Like a MDE system reboot of sorts. That’s why I checked if my tickets were there. Who knows how the parks will operate in the future. There may not be dining plans or fastpasses anymore. My trip was originally for July/August but was long ago cancelled. Just the non-refundable tickets remained. I received an email from Disney today noting cancellations (I had nothing reserved) and stating that when reservations re-open, those with tickets would have first option to rebook.

Awesome expiry date!

Right now Disney has suspended all reservations — dining, fastpass, experiences etc. Like a MDE system reboot of sorts. That’s why I checked if my tickets were there. Who knows how the parks will operate in the future. There may not be dining plans or fastpasses anymore. My trip was originally for July/August but was long ago cancelled. Just the non-refundable tickets remained. I received an email from Disney today noting cancellations (I had nothing reserved) and stating that when reservations re-open, those with tickets would have first option to rebook.

Ohh, I heard about the dining, but had not idea FP were affected also. Thanks for the heads up.

Our tickets were linked in advance of our cancelled March break trip, we don’t have plans to reschedule our trip until at least next year. If they do bring back FP by then I just hope that we can still book them online with these tickets.

They definitely changed something. I also bought some Canadian deal tickets and there used to be a line on the display that said the 1st use had to be on or before December31st 2020. That doesn't seem to show up any more and it just says "any valid dates" now which is listed purchase date to December 31st, 2030.

I think I might just send a query to see if the removed the 1st use date changed.

I don't see any of that info on MDE. Mine still say Valid Through Dec 31, 2030. Nothing has changed in my account.

So I'll preface this by saying I print everything related to our trips and I just throw it in a file... (I'm not sure how buying a package works but doing RO with separate purchase of Canadian special tickets is my experience) the email I received from my Tickets-only purchase clearly shows this:

That date also appears in my screen prints from MDE mobile app taken at the time of purchase but it does not appear now -- so something has changed.

When I look at the web or app view now it's not there at all .... (so if you weren't looking for it before on the mobile app you might not have noticed it...or if you have a package they may not display the same way.) The point is not because you don't see it there now that the issue isn't real. When I look at my printouts it's there -- clear as day ... it's not there now so they've changed something. I'm not going to scan in my print outs.. but it's there.

Anyway... I did a totally worthless online chat with someone who said the Canadian Tickets expired on June 30, 2020. They didn't care at all --- no idea where they got that date and they wouldn't send me up the line... so.... I gave up and called instead.
I spoke to someone who actually looked at the ticket purchase we had and said they didn't see a use-by date on them now. I'm guessing since DVC points have been extended, since AP's have been extended they probably threw off the restriction for Canadian tickets.

I'm feeling pretty confident after speaking to someone on the phone who seemed pretty aware that the Dec 31, 2020 date isn't a thing anymore but maybe someone else wants to call to verify as well. (My confidence in WDW support was pretty low after the online chat.... The person on the phone call was awesome but still... I feel bad for anyone who does an online chat and gets the agent I had and actually trusts the info they give.)

My tickets originally expired on December 15, 2020 and now they have an expiry date of September 26, 2021, which seems random.

That's the same thing I have showing @ilovetotravel1977 , I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer and let a little more dust settle then call and confirm what that means.

I have three ten day tickets that I purchased using the "Canadian discount" from earlier this year. When I made the purchase, I specified August 2, 2020 as the first day of use. The tickets now read as follows:

Valid: Sun, Aug 2, 2020 - Sun, Sep 26, 2021
Theme Park Admission: Any 10 of the Valid Dates

Since it now appears we can reschedule our trip to August 2021 without worrying about replacing the tickets, I am much more likely to cancel this year's vacation. I did, however, get an exceptionally good rate for Club Level at Coronado Springs, so for now I'm going to hold off on cancelling my room reservations until details on the "revised" Club Level amenities are released.

I think all the theorizing by Canadians RE: our summer trips to Disney World is going to be for naught, since with each passing day I'm more and more convinced that the Canada/US border won't be opening until at least the fall.

@ilovetotravel1977, what you have there is the expiry date that the first year of "Canadian Offer" tickets had. Every year it's been offered since have had a year end expiry so they had to be used a lot sooner than those from the first year. We still have a couple of tickets with that expiry date. If you bought those tickets recently, it looks like you got some pixie dust. As @ottawamom said it would be best to check that the expiry date is correct.

I think it might depend on how the tickets were purchased. I purchased Canadian tickets directly through Disney and they are able to change them over the phone (I've called to ask a couple of times and they confirmed they could be changed but I didn't actually go through with it since we didn't have a trip planned at the time). I'm not sure if you can change/upgrade tickets purchased through AM or UT over the phone though.

You can for UT tickets but they must be done BEFORE they expire. Once they expire, there isn't anything that can be done on MDE or via phone. Only in person.

@Robo can provide further details.

@ilovetotravel1977, what you have there is the expiry date that the first year of "Canadian Offer" tickets had. Every year it's been offered since have had a year end expiry so they had to be used a lot sooner than those from the first year. We still have a couple of tickets with that expiry date. If you bought those tickets recently, it looks like you got some pixie dust. As @ottawamom said it would be best to check that the expiry date is correct.
I purchased my tickets through AM in January and they show the same expiry dates as @ilovetotravel1977 . My tickets show the same expirey in MDE. Someone previously said that the expiry date on these tickets has nothing to do with what is posted in MDE as we were issued vouchers that need to be exchanged and that the "real" expiry date is the date that was posted in the offer we used to purchase them. Time will tell, it's all very confusing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter