We're all out there chasing our better selves (FredtheDuck chases on)

Any chance you can pull this data up on the computer so you can see when the start and stop of these intervals were in time (like how close were they to 4:14 in duration)? Hard to get a great read from these snapshots.

Yep, got them:

Interval 1 - Start: 19:41 (1.52 mi), Stop: 23:06 (1.89 mi) - 3:25 to do .37(ish)
Interval 2 - Start: 24:52 (1.98 mi), Stop: 28:24 (2.35 mi) - 3:32 to do .37(ish)
Interval 3 - Start: 30:00 (2.44 mi), Stop: 33:42 (2.83 mi) - 3:42 to do .39(ish)
Interval 4 - Start: 35:15 (2.92 mi), Stop: 38:41 (3.28 mi) - 3:26 to do .36(ish)

I like the new plan except I would move the 6/26 (Mon) to 6/27 (Tues) and replace the EB run. So instead of 4 @ EB on 6/27, do 4 @ EA. Thus, no run on 6/26. Otherwise, I think it looks good to me.

Got it. Thanks!

Yep, got them:

Interval 1 - Start: 19:41 (1.52 mi), Stop: 23:06 (1.89 mi) - 3:25 to do .37(ish)
Interval 2 - Start: 24:52 (1.98 mi), Stop: 28:24 (2.35 mi) - 3:32 to do .37(ish)
Interval 3 - Start: 30:00 (2.44 mi), Stop: 33:42 (2.83 mi) - 3:42 to do .39(ish)
Interval 4 - Start: 35:15 (2.92 mi), Stop: 38:41 (3.28 mi) - 3:26 to do .36(ish)

:eek:

So, this would mean your goal pace is a 11:17 min/mile for CV pace (which is close to 5k pace for you) and the window is +/- 3-5 seconds (11:12-11:23) you did the following (based on all being 0.375 miles):

Interval 1 - 9:07 min/mile
Int 2 - 9:25 min/mile
Int 3 - 9:52 min/mile
Int 4 - 9:09 min/mile

:eek:

So, yea umm... that's a bit too quick. A 9:30 min/mile (avg of your intervals) for your current fitness (assuming 34 min 5k) is around 1000m race pace. The mere fact you could do 4 x 600m at 1000m race pace with 60 sec recovery means either you're really good at these workouts, or we really missed the mark on assessing current fitness. I'd venture to guess we really missed assessing the current fitness. A 9:30 min/mile CV is a 29:00 min 5k runner (9:20 min/mile). So it makes this upcoming 5k even more interesting to see how we should adjust the remainder of the training plan. :scratchin

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup2

I'd venture to guess we really missed assessing the current fitness. A 9:30 min/mile CV is a 29:00 min 5k runner (9:20 min/mile)

To be honest, I think if I tried to do a full 5k at 9:20, I'd fade out too much in the last mile. I think a few things are at play since the fitness assessment:

1) I never actually full-on *raced* any of my 5ks or the one 10k. Too much fear of not finishing because I worked too hard. That's part of the reason I was so mad about missing my goal for the Takoma Park 5k - I kind of treated it as a long run and definitely could have raced faster. For the 10k, it was a big distance jump, so I took it fairly easy (and the course was down hill). So this upcoming one will be the first one where I allow myself to run a little faster than I would otherwise find to be "comfortable." I am slightly concerned about T+D, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
2) A big issue when I first started running was my breathing (asthma). I finally figured out how to effectively manage it, which means I'm working less hard aerobically during runs.
3) Like I said earlier this week, confidence has been big. I KNOW I can run 3, 4, 5, even 6 miles. I've done it. So maybe I'm holding back less?

So, yea umm... that's a bit too quick.

Whooops. I was tired after them, for what it's worth! And, my RIs were a little longer than 60 seconds because I wanted to get to clear markers on the track before starting the next interval - that probably helped.

even more interesting to see how we should adjust the remainder of the training plan. :scratchin

Is that emoji more like this:

tenor.gif

Or like this:

giphy.gif

Because that may or may not impact my race strategy (kidding... I think...)

Plan today was 3.5 miles @ EA (14:56). Don't laugh, but for some reason I had it in my head that my EA was 13:52. I don't know why. Sleep deprivation I guess. Anyways, my headphones weren't working and I didn't want to futz with them, so I decided not to listen to anything. That probably helped my pacing a little, to be honest, because my first mile was 13:48, only 4 seconds faster than the speed I THOUGHT I was supposed to be going. But that entire first mile, I just felt like I wasn't in a good groove. My breathing wasn't syncing, and I felt a little clunky. My second two miles were faster but I felt better doing them. But, that means I completely blew pacing. Some of that was probably just getting the blood flowing, but some of it was probably running at a speed that I could sync my breathing a little better to. I think I'm at the part of the plan where I'm always mildly fatigued, but I think some of that is also coming from "overruning" my scheduled paces, so I'm mindful of that.

Stats: 3.53 mi, 44:29 (12:36/mi).

To be honest, I think if I tried to do a full 5k at 9:20, I'd fade out too much in the last mile. I think a few things are at play since the fitness assessment:

1) I never actually full-on *raced* any of my 5ks or the one 10k. Too much fear of not finishing because I worked too hard. That's part of the reason I was so mad about missing my goal for the Takoma Park 5k - I kind of treated it as a long run and definitely could have raced faster. For the 10k, it was a big distance jump, so I took it fairly easy (and the course was down hill). So this upcoming one will be the first one where I allow myself to run a little faster than I would otherwise find to be "comfortable." I am slightly concerned about T+D, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
2) A big issue when I first started running was my breathing (asthma). I finally figured out how to effectively manage it, which means I'm working less hard aerobically during runs.
3) Like I said earlier this week, confidence has been big. I KNOW I can run 3, 4, 5, even 6 miles. I've done it. So maybe I'm holding back less?

Whooops. I was tired after them, for what it's worth! And, my RIs were a little longer than 60 seconds because I wanted to get to clear markers on the track before starting the next interval - that probably helped.

Is that emoji more like this:

tenor.gif

Or like this:

giphy.gif

Because that may or may not impact my race strategy (kidding... I think...)

I think this all sounds good and is understandable. I'd venture to guess if you feel as if a 9:20 is beyond your capabilities, then you'll want to slow down just a bit on the next CV. Otherwise, I'm excited to see how the 5k goes.

PS - It's a little bit of both Ursula emojis and just depends on perspective. :D

Good run today. I actually ran in to the neighbor that talked us into doing that 10K back in May about halfway through. He's much faster than I am, so I figured he'd wave and keep going, but he didn't. He kept with me the whole way. This route was an out and back and the back has some nasty uphills, so I was glad to have some company.

IMG_4594.PNG

When I got back, @MoanasPapa and our kiddo were up. Last night was our daughter's first night in her "big girl bed." She took to it like a champ! Didn't seem to miss the crib at all, and apparently actually slept a bit later than she has been. So that's all the excitement here. Now, to the grocery store.

Stats: 5.11 mi, 1:00:03 (11:45/mi)

This week's schedule is a bit modified because of the race on Saturday night. So instead of my CV workout being towards the middle of the week, it was today. I was supposed to do 1.5 miles at wu/cd pace (15:51), 3x800 at CV (11:17) with 90 second resting intervals, and then 1 mile at WU/CD (again, 15:51). At the suggestion of @MoanasPapa, I started using the Activity App via my watch for CV workouts because it has a lap feature. Here's how I did:

Lap 1 (1.5 mi WU): 1.57 mi, 19:11 (12:14/mi)
Lap 2 (800 CV 1): .48 mi, 4:27 (9:20/mi)
Lap 3 (RI): 1:51 (walked)
Lap 4 (800 CV 2): .53 mi, 5:06 (9:40/mi)
Lap 5 (RI): 1:53 (walked)
Lap 6 (800 CV 3): .53 mi, 5:14 (9:50/mi)
Lap 7 (RI): 1:44 (walked)
Lap 8 (1 mi CD): 1.05 mi, 12:02 (11:27/mi)

Total stats: 4.42 mi, 51:31 (11:38/mi)

I hit the lap button a bit late in my first CV because I couldn't remember how to do it - so some of Lap 1 is at CV and Lap 2 is short, but the difference/distance was minimal - less than .03 mi.

T+D was 149.3 (78.8+70.5), which is ridiculous at 5:30 in the morning, but whatever.

@MoanasPapa looked at my splits when I got home and scolded me for doing the CVs too fast, but they felt like what I understand CVs are supposed to feel like. I was tired at the end of them, but I could have done more repeats if it had been a part of my plan.

In other news, I got recovery sandals over the weekend. WELL worth it.

Last edited:
I think it's great that you and @MoanasPapa are both runners. You each have someone to hold you accountable during training. Of course this goes for all the other running couples as well (@ZellyB and @roxymama and the Chris-es). It's great that you have that support.

Sounds like you had a great week! Lots of CVs.

It's great that you have that support.

@MoanasPapa was the one that inspired me to run! BUT, we almost never run together right now. Our paces and running days are different, and he hates getting up at 5:00 AM, which is when I run during the week. BUT, he's very encouraging and supportive, which makes it that much more motivating to me.

Definitely in the thick of it with CVs, even more so because we moved what would have been Wednesday's CV workout to today in order to accommodate the race on Saturday night. Next week I have the ladder, which I hear is tough.

I think it's great that you and @MoanasPapa are both runners. You each have someone to hold you accountable during training. Of course this goes for all the other running couples as well (@ZellyB and @roxymama and the Chris-es). It's great that you have that support.

Yeah sometimes it gets tricky when there is limited free time in a day and both have a long run or a sizeable workout. Or when it's drawing straw for who gets to run in the daylight and who goes to the gym. Or when only one runs a race so the other can watch the kiddo. HOWEVER having someone to encourage and push you and make sure you are keeping on top of your training is so amazing that all the other stuff doesn't seem so bad. Plus when one of us comes home covered in sweat and just has to sit on the floor for like 20 minutes doing and saying nothing and then later needs a nap...we understand because we've been there!
Although the expense of needing to buy new medal racks every year because there's two of everything.... :)

Although the expense of needing to buy new medal racks every year because there's two of everything....

True story: I have no medals. @MoanasPapa got one for the Pittsburgh half, but I think it maybe lives at his work? It isn't at home. All of my races have either been 5ks or the one 10k, and they had no medals. So, Parks will be my first medal, and it's so pretty!

BUT, we're already planning our spring 2018 race and have decided that we're going to do the Wine & Dine half in 2018 (!!!!), so maybe that collection will build up fast : )

True story: I have no medals. @MoanasPapa got one for the Pittsburgh half, but I think it maybe lives at his work? It isn't at home. All of my races have either been 5ks or the one 10k, and they had no medals. So, Parks will be my first medal, and it's so pretty!

BUT, we're already planning our spring 2018 race and have decided that we're going to do the Wine & Dine half in 2018 (!!!!), so maybe that collection will build up fast : )

YAY, HOW EXCITING!

I told @MoanasPapa that I would probably cut today's run a little short because my right Achilles and the associated area (bottom of my heel, outer ankle) have been a little tender the past couple of weeks. He actually wanted me to skip it completely to let it fully rest (and probably to sleep another hour). But it was so glorious when I got out there (T+D=138.5, beautiful sunrise) that once I shook out the rust, I felt fine to do the full 4.5 that was scheduled. I adjusted my route about a half a mile in because I wasn't feeling my original plan, and I ended up running in the neighborhood adjacent to ours. It was awesome - that neighborhood is so cute, with great landscaping and all kinds of different styles and types of houses (my neighborhood, by comparison, was all built in the same 5-year span in the 50s, so there are two styles of houses and not a ton of impressive landscaping). There was definitely a lot of scenery to enjoy!

I wanted to take today's run really easy, since I have the race on Saturday and have been pushing hard to get ready for the half in September. I ended up averaging a little under 12:00/mi, which is still a good bit faster than my targeted pace for today, but it felt nice, easy, low key, and like I was really just out to enjoy the scenery, not because I was prepping for something. So in that sense, mission accomplished.

Stats: 4.6 mi, 55:07 (11:57/mi)

When I got home, my kiddo was awake. @MoanasPapa informed me the minute that I walked in the door that she had been looking all over the house for me, calling "Mama? Mama???!" So I walk in, she sees me, and she starts walking quickly towards me. I'm thinking "Aww, she was looking for me and now I'm here and she's excited to see me! She's going to want me to pick her up and I'm kind of sweaty but that's ok!" So I'm all ready to swoop her up and instead of putting her arms up to be picked up she... goes for the water bottle that is in my hip belt and, upon being handed said water bottle, walks away.

ZpkXO.gif

one of us comes home covered in sweat and just has to sit on the floor for like 20 minutes doing and saying nothing and then later needs a nap...we understand because we've been there

Wow....that description really hits home!

it felt nice, easy, low key, and like I was really just out to enjoy the scenery

That, I think, is the goal of these easy runs! Get out there, and run at a pace that it doesn't feel like work.

I just got the runner instructions for the 5K on Saturday and basically this race was created for me:

"At the Finish

At the finish smile, cheer for yourself and everyone around you. Volunteers will be waiting for you with water and right behind them, our friends from Gordon Biersch will be filling your commemorative Suds and Soles beer mug!

In the Festival

The post-race festival will offer runners sandwiches thanks to Modern Market, Giuseppi's Pizza, popcorn from our friends at Regal Cinemas, water and beer tastings for those of age!

Adult runners will have 5 beer tasting tickets on their bib. Simply turn them in for tastings from Dogfish Head Alehouse, 7 Locks Brewing, Bold Rock Hard Cider, Jailbreak and Brookeville Beer Farm. If you wish to have more of your favorite beer, please purchase pints from our beer sponsors!"

A of all, I like the sandwiches at Modern Market a lot. B of all, beer (and good beer, natch) at the finish line and drink tickets for more. And C of all... POPCORN. MOVIE THEATER POPCORN.

Can this race be all the time?

Two things:

First, I skipped this morning's run. My kiddo has been sick and we had a bit of drama in the neighborhood last night (we're fine, nothing to worry about) so I'm low on sleep. I got up to get ready to run and between my current level of exhaustion and the fact that it was pouring rain, I just couldn't muster up the oomph to do it (and, in my head, justified it by saying that since I had been home all day the prior day with a sick kid, I probably needed to ease off the accelerator a bit in order to avoid getting sick myself). Of course, when I went to shower and saw my gym bag waiting for me, I was kind of disappointed in my choice - it wasn't even supposed to be that hard of a run.

Second, I've been a little nervous about tomorrow's 5k. If you're following along on this journal, you know there's been some discussion about whether my pacing might need to be reassessed, and that this 5k will be a good opportunity to see where I'm at right now. The problem is that I've never fully raced a 5k. I got out there, go on a nice run, and am done. I treat it like a training run and never push for speed. Just a regular run that happens to be on a course with a lot of people and a t-shirt at the end of it. So tomorrow I'm supposed to push for speed and go hard, and that's a mind shift. I clicked over to Runner's World this morning and this article ("Self Talk Your Way to a Better 5K") was right there at the top. I found it interesting, and hopefully it'll help me with my approach to tomorrow.

My fastest ever was 31:11 according to RunKeeper - just a training run back in 2013. My fastest post-baby was 34:23 (training run again) in late April. My fastest 5k race was this last TPK5K at 34:32.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter