• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Identifying old WDW banner

ABigDisneyFan

Earning My Ears
Hi!

I am new to this blog, so it’s a pleasure to talk with all of you. I am trying to research the location of a "Banner" that I purchased at an antique store recently. If you happen to recognize this "banner" I would appreciate any information that you can share. I am hopeful that it could be MK's grand opening, but I know that it isn't likely.

I know that this logo was used from 1971-1996. It has two pieces of thick fabric sewn together using old stitching (front and back). The image is silkscreened on only one side. And it has a “tunnel” that was created by folding over the top and sewing it together to allow a rod to pass through to hang. This “tunnel” is on both the top and bottom to allow a rod to be on both the top and bottom. (I should note that the logo is centered on fabric but in the image, it was just laying over the edge of the table)

If you have any knowledge about this (what it is, where in the parks it was, and the date it was used) it would be greatly appreciated!! Or if you know someone that may know more about it please let me know.

Thank you!

I have seen orange-red colored flags like this for sale that were used on boat transportation in the 70’s and 80’s, but I have never seen a blue one. Perhaps if you do some research into boat transportation, you might come across a photo of a boat with a blue flag.

I have seen orange-red colored flags like this for sale that were used on boat transportation in the 70’s and 80’s, but I have never seen a blue one. Perhaps if you do some research into boat transportation, you might come across a photo of a boat with a blue flag.
That's the first place my mind went to, as well, but I believe those flags might have been triangles. I think the blue flag boat/bus used to be for Ft Wilderness!! Interesting question......

I thought boat as well. The logo seems so generic though. It could have been part of a larger banner with other cloths for either a boat, cruise, or elsewhere that had different logos for the boat or the attraction?

That's the first place my mind went to, as well, but I believe those flags might have been triangles. I think the blue flag boat/bus used to be for Ft Wilderness!! Interesting question......
No, the flags I am referring to are rectangular with the same logo on them, and the same stitching for a flagpole. They aren’t the same as the colored pennants that indicated the route the boat was covering. The blue pennant boat flag indicated the FW, CR, WL route. The buses used to have triangular penants, although they were decals on the side of the bus, to indicate the same thing. We frequently rode the red pennant bus from the TTC to what is now Disney Springs. They changed a lot of the transportation procedures when Epcot opened, so it’s possible the logo boat flags were replaced by the faux American flags (another interesting story) around that time.

Try looking for vintage WDW boat flag on EBay and see if any are for sale. I believe that is where I saw them, but it wasn’t recently.

Maybe the ferry boats from TTC to MK?!
I Googled wdw side wheel steam boat, because there were two boats, Southern Seas and Ports-O-Call, that used to to cruise Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, for events and conventions. The photos I found show the Orange flag I am familiar with on a flagpole positioned at the bow. However, there was concept art released showing a blue flag instead. You might try doing some research to see if those boats ever flew a blue flag instead of orange.

It came up in the images when I searched for the side wheel steamer with Google. It’s from a pre-opening postcard, and it has a different ship name, Osceola, than the actual ships built. The blue flag is in the same position as the orange one in the photographs of the actual ships.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter