Ideas on how to "split" a room

happybratpack

<font color=green>Just Maryann :)<br><font color=b
Hey guys

I'm excited, I just found this area not long ago. (sad, I know) :confused3

Anyway - I'm looking for ideas on how to split a room into two sep themes for 2 kiddos sharing a room. Trying to avoid it looking like a commotion of stuff, if that makes sense. To be exact, Pirates and Princesses. I know, :rolleyes1 right?

I don't even know if this is possible, but if anyone has done it I'd love to hear input.

Thanks!!!

There was just an episode of Design on a Dime on HGTV, were they divided a room between 2 brothers using a tall shelving unit between the two beds. It was really neat how they did it. They even put wall sconces on each side of the shelf so they could read in bed!

Thats a good idea, thanks. I need to start watching these shows! :happytv:

What about a long shutter screen? You take several tall shutters like you use on your windows and attach them to each other using hinges. Then you can do a different faux finish on each side coordinate with your themes. It's easily moved and the only drawback would be you'd need to figure out a way to anchor them so they aren't easily knocked over.

I saw something once on a decorating show where they split the room by putting bunk beds in the middle. They hung a curtain on one side of the top bed so that the bed was open to one side of the room. They did the same on the bottom bunk, though on the opposite side, so that it was open to the other side.

Ok - it made perfect sense when I saw it on tv :scratchin

And the room was cute!

I separated a room by putting a tall entertainment center in the room to act as a room divider. It works best to get a unit that looks okay from the front & back. Like This.

Cheaper solutions are to hang a curtain from the ceiling all the way to the floor, to divide the room. This way, the kids can pull it closed for more privacy, or open it part way, giving more of an exposed space in the room.

Another solution is a couple of large area rugs in 2 different colors. Have the bedspread, pillows & fabrics coordinate with the area rug on each side of the room, separating the room into areas by color. :)

Thanks for all the tips!! I really appreciate it. :)

Now I just have to decide what to do!

Ikea sells this big square thing that could divide a room. It is divided into square shelves and is open from both sides.

I like the bunk bed idea though the best. Or, to put both beds up high, next to each other, divided by a curtain, that way both kids have lots of floor space. My sister did that and the kids LOVED playing under the beds.

i think maybe an easy idea would be to find a paint color that you could use for the whole room, that would work with both sides. for example, maybe you could find a green that would work for both peter pan and tinkerbell or something. that way, the room would not look so split up, and nothing would look out of place.

FSUDisneyGirl said:
i think maybe an easy idea would be to find a paint color that you could use for the whole room, that would work with both sides. for example, maybe you could find a green that would work for both peter pan and tinkerbell or something. that way, the room would not look so split up, and nothing would look out of place.

i liked your idea! painting the room with a theme for both :thumbsup2

and then add the rugs for each side and maybe a big round activity table in the middle of the room :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!