IBBCES - Six Flags - application question

EThomas

Earning My Ears
Hi All!
This isn't Disney related, but since y'all are so smart and thoughtful I thought I could ask here and someone might have some experience. I've used DAS for several years at Disney and it is truly a game-changer in terms of navigating the parks with my particular medical needs.

We've recently purchased season passes to the Six Flags park near our home. I was looking into their guest accessibility pass, and you need to apply through a 3rd party to get the IBBCES Accessibility Pass before getting the Six Flags specific pass.

The thing I'm stuck on is the application asks two questions:

Can the cardholder wait in line with other guests - answer is definitely yes! That is not my issue.
Can the cardholder wait in line for more than 10 minutes - answer is ???

I can wait for 10 minutes with no problem. I can wait for 20 or 30 minutes with no problem. It's when lines start getting longer than that that I can have an issue. I'm stumped on how to answer this question ethically, but still get the accommodation I need. The "more than" is so nebulous I'm not certain how to answer. If I say yes, they may ask why I'm applying for accommodation at all. But it doesn't seem ethical to say "no" if I am capable of standing in line for more than 10 minutes. It's just a question of how much more than 10 minutes?

Has anybody applied for this card and said they can wait more than 10 minutes and been given accommodation for longer wait times? Or any other thoughts on how to answer?

Hi All!
This isn't Disney related, but since y'all are so smart and thoughtful I thought I could ask here and someone might have some experience. I've used DAS for several years at Disney and it is truly a game-changer in terms of navigating the parks with my particular medical needs.

We've recently purchased season passes to the Six Flags park near our home. I was looking into their guest accessibility pass, and you need to apply through a 3rd party to get the IBBCES Accessibility Pass before getting the Six Flags specific pass.

The thing I'm stuck on is the application asks two questions:

Can the cardholder wait in line with other guests - answer is definitely yes! That is not my issue.
Can the cardholder wait in line for more than 10 minutes - answer is ???

I can wait for 10 minutes with no problem. I can wait for 20 or 30 minutes with no problem. It's when lines start getting longer than that that I can have an issue. I'm stumped on how to answer this question ethically, but still get the accommodation I need. The "more than" is so nebulous I'm not certain how to answer. If I say yes, they may ask why I'm applying for accommodation at all. But it doesn't seem ethical to say "no" if I am capable of standing in line for more than 10 minutes. It's just a question of how much more than 10 minutes?

Has anybody applied for this card and said they can wait more than 10 minutes and been given accommodation for longer wait times? Or any other thoughts on how to answer?

Several years ago, my PT asked me to do a stand test. Before we began, she asked me how long I believed I could stand unassisted. I confidently answered "Between 7 & 10 minutes"

I didn't make it to 3 minutes: my time was 2 minutes, 47 seconds.

However, when I was allowed to hold a rail with one hand, my time was 3 minutes, 49 seconds. When I held the rail with 2 hands, my time was 4 minutes, 10 seconds.

°O° °o° °o° °o° °O° °o° °o° °o° °O°

Are you *sure* you can stand for 10 minutes, unassisted?

Have you timed yourself?

So if you were in a queue, perhaps that formed outside of a standard queue structure, with no handrails, no shade cover, no place to hold on to, nothing to lean on... could you still stand there for a full 10 minutes?

What if the line actually moved so slowly that ultimately you had to be able to stand for 11 - maybe even 12 - minutes?

What if the ride breaks down, and you are standing there for 20 minutes, with no assistance, nothing to hold onto?

Tests like this are never really going to be able to gauge disability; These kinds of tests are generalizations. They are basing that test on the *idea* that the average guest stands in line an average amount of 10 minutes.
  • The test does not account for lines that may be slowed, or stopped due to any complication
  • The test does not indicate what the conditions of the queue will be; if there will be handrails, for example.
Additionally, while the test appears to be a one question test, in the end there are more things to consider. What the test is really about is not just do you have the ability to stand for 10 minutes, but also things like:
  • Will I be able to successfully enter and exit the ride vehicle after standing for 10 minutes?
  • Will I be able to enjoy the ride after standing for 10 minutes?
  • And at the end of the ride will I find myself in a position to continue on and enjoy my day?
  • How many times in that day can I stand in line for 10 minutes before I can't anymore?

If I were in your shoes, I would answer the question based on the overall cumulative effect of standing in a line, multiple times during the course of the day. Even if you know you are only going to ride four or five rides, again, ask yourself the question: Can I stand in each of those lines for 10 minutes, still enjoy the ride, and continue on to enjoy my day, and do this multiple times? What I need to stand in line for food, or restroom breaks? That is how you will arrive at your answer.

Good luck - and I hope you have a great summer at Six Flags :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter