I would love to hear (and see) how other

Eeyoreloverforever

Mouseketeer
Disney lovers have decorated their homes.

WE are a family of 4 and we all LOVE Disney!!! Right now we have contained Disney to the rec room, but there are days that I think of spreading it throughout the house. My problem is that I want my house to look more like the room in Cinderella's castle and the nice Disney stuff can't be shipped here (I live in Canada). And we fly when we go so I can't get anything big while down there either. It is really putting a cramp in my style (just a little pun)!!

It would make my day to hear and see how other Disney lovers have decorated!!

We have a little bit of Disney in every room we've redone.

The master bedroom is filled with Art of Disney pictures and posters. We chose love as our theme. We have a poster with the Disney kisses (a bunch of Disney kissing scenes), Minnie & Mickey holding hands on a bench with Pluto laying down behind them, Lady & The Tramp with the spaghetti thing. Then over our bed are four prints from the Lion King ... all love scenes :)

The MB bathroom is "normal" except for soaps and shampoos we've gotten from staying at Disney hotels. Oh -- I also collect WDW square candy tins and have them lined up along a window sill. They're perfect for holding "ladies days" products (discretely, of course), Q-tips, floss, clippers, cotton, etc. I have two, and DH has two.

Our living room is "normal," as well, except for our fireplace. We splurged and got the Mickey fireplace screen and tools. The light outside of our front door -- as well as our mailbox -- matches this.

We're remodeling our kitchen right now, and our contractor surprised us with a hidden Mickey!!! In the floor of our pantry, he tiled it black and white with 12" tiles. Right in the center, he broke up one black tile into a thousand pieces and made a really unusual Mickey head for us, mosaic-style, so it would fit within a 12" space where a full tile would have gone. We also bought the nickel Mickey head cabinet knobs for our cabinets. The screws are too small, but we're hitting the home store tomorrow for bigger ones.

Our den is our home theater -- and we're both MAJOR Star Wars fans. We spent our anniversary money at that Lego store in DD and bought the huge Death Star, as well as some gigantic Imperial Cruiser thing. At MGM, we bought a limited edition Star Wars poster and had that framed. The den is being remodeled with the kitchen, but we'll have a Star Wars area with the finished -- and glued -- Legos things and the poster.

Our DR has nothing Mickey in it ... yet ;)

We try to put just a *touch* of magic in every room.

I was beginning to wonder if no one read this board or if no one who loves Disney actually has anything Disney in their home!!

That is a good idea to just have a "touch of magic" in each room. I tend to have a bad habit of "all or nothing". And because of that I am struggling with how to decorate.

I have to go take my dd back to school now, but just wanted to let you know I appreciate your post.

LOL, I don't know why this section of the boards doesn't get much traffic, especially as passionate as most are here about WDW.

It's a shame you can't get things shipped up to Canada. Even from the Disney.com website, you can't have things shipped up there?

Although, you can do smaller things. Like our candy tins and Mickey head shampoo bottles in the bathroom were very tiny. I carried the tins in my backpack at MK where I bought them. The shampoo bottles I just tossed in my toiletries bag on our last day.

Something artistic with the floor is an option, too. Just be sure you've got an "artist" contractor instead of an "engineer" contractor ;)

Something else we do to save with the bulk and expense of getting big items home from the World is to buy art prints there and then get them framed back home. The prints we have of the Lion King in our BR were 5x7's, but we put them in 8x10 mats and then framed them in 11x14's ... if that makes sense. DH is good with framing, so he was able to do most of it himself and we saved a ton of $$$ instead of buying them framed at WDW -- not to mention I'd be a wreck on the way home worrying about the glass frames breaking.

My hubby had an idea last night that might help you. We're working on colors right now for our kitchen pantry. The floor's black and white, and we weren't sure what color to do the wooden shelves and/or any covering we'll put on top of the shelves to keep it clean (contact paper, leather, that sort of thing.) He thought since we've already got the black and white, gee, what are the other two "Mickey" colors? Red and yellow (pants and buttons). So we're thinking we'll do yellow paint on the shelves and a red paper to put down. Voila ... Disney pantry without ever buying a Disney product.

I'll try and think of some other things that might help incorporate some Disney magic for you that doesn't involve a trip to a Disney store :)

My style is more like the room in Cinderella's castle.

I wish I could see others houses and more people would post here.

I will talk to you more tomorrow. I am freezing right now so I wan't to go get in my comfy, warm jammies, turn up the heat and crawl in bed.

April

although we love Disney, our favorite part of going to WDW is staying at the Wilderness Lodge and since we have a cozy little home in the woods, we just try to make it more "lodge-like" and when I go all out with the cooking we always do Artist Point style with the food, even down to a cobbler and french-press coffee for dessert...the home decor thing is slow transition because we want everything to be just right, right now, it is slightly more boring than the WL and we just have to take it up a notch adding some more color and pizazz...and a lot more wood...lol

Hello from another Disney family that has taken it to a decorating tangent. We used to just have a Disney family room, but over the years, it has sort of eeked itself into most rooms in our house in some fashion or other. Since we are frequent WDW visitors, the home decor snooping habit is hard to break. Our family room has quite a few framed prints - many are the lithos that came with the Videos/DVDs that you preordered from the Disney Store -some are posters that we've brought back and framed here (here is MN). a couple are special signed prints, mostly framed locally to avoid some of the expense of Disney framing costs and shipping. We have many photo frames of various Disney styles scattered in different rooms. Scrapbooking stores are good places for inspiration for Disney touches to add to existing frames, or furniture etc since there are so many little extras out there nowadays in the Disney theme.

Our DS (going on 5) bedroom started as a classic Pooh nursery and has melded into a Toy Story etc bedroom with just accessorizing - I didn't want to commit to a custom paint job, or special furniture, but kept it sort of neutral with light blue walls and green carpet (existing from nursery days), but have purchased wall clings of Buzz theme that accent in many places, and found a "used a bit" Buzz/Woody comforter that matches perfectly. I bought his room accessories, in just fun bright colors (Navy, Orange, Red, Lime Green, Purple etc) - like bins etc. We found a rocketship nightlight lamp, and a kind of futuristic table with light in the center that looks very "Buzz - retro". I took a mirror that had been Pooh themed insert (from very old Disney Catalog days) and recycled it by inserting a black cardstock over the Pooh print, and then centering a piece of Buzz wallpaper border across it to customize it. You can get border/wallpaper samples sometimes to cut and paste the Disney designs on things. We also framed some of his character photos and put them in matching frames on a couple of walls - they can be updated each time we go and get fun pics.

We have a Disney bathroom in the basement that just has photo collages from our trips, and some Mickey bath accessories that we've picked up on various trips plus Mickey Gloves nobs on the medicine cabinet etc, and Mickey & Minnie robe hooks on the back of the door.

Our upstairs bathroom has a beach theme and was inpired by water color prints that we started collecting from the Deluxe resorts years back - we framed them all to match (including our BCV DVC print that we got when buying in) and based the shower curtain, paint and towels etc on this "Beach Club" theme. I also had an older quilt rack from old Disney Catalog days that has Mickey Heads in the metal work -that became recycled into our towel rack since there wasn't one on the wall when we moved in.

We've pretty much accented little things here and there instead of committing to expensive Disney furniture etc, but it gives touches of fun whimsey without major commitment. When you visit WDW - can you ship your stuff home to Canada, or is it just too cost prohibitive? It is sometimes a good way to get larger park purchases home without hauling them on airplanes etc (aka the big 2000 mirror we have hanging on our basement wall that used to adorn a light post at Epcot during the year 2000 celebration).

Good luck to all the Disney decorators out there - know that you have many many kindred spirits!!

Jen

and your sons room sounds amazing!!

It would cost us an arm and a leg to ship things home. Everything we buy, we have to be able to bring back on the plane.

What I would really like to do is buy some of the things I see on Disney.com, but a lot of that stuff can't even be shipped to us. And the shipping from there is costly as is.

I think I need to do what you have done and just add a bit of the magic in instead of trying to over do it. That sounds perfect for me. I love Disney, but don't want to be overwhelmed with it.

How do you decorate at Christmas? We have Disney tree in the basement and a "regular" tree in the living room. I have just started collecting the Disney Christmas Village.

I love hearing what everyone has done!!

I just have a few Disney things throughout the house, but I try not to overdo it.

I have pictures that we have taken at Disney throughout the house, but I just have them in non-Disney frames so that they could with the decor.

In my bedroom, I have a really neat beach themed print that I found at Downtown Disney. It came already matted and I put it inexpensive frame that I spray painted white. It's probably one of my favorite pieces of art in the apartment.. it goes really with the room without screaming DISNEY. They had a few ore that I would like to collect over the next trip or two. I've also started to collect ceramic Plutos, so I have a couple of those on a shelf.

Lastly, in my hallway, I have a matted and framed drawing of Mickey and Pluto that I got from MGM.

For prints, Disney has a lot of really nice (11X14") prints that are already matted for $15. At each of the parks, they have the art store (I believe it's called "The Art of Disney) that has them, but I believe that the one at DTD has the most choices.

I had previously put ALL the Disney stuff in the rec room. I love my decor, but a house is not a home unless it has some Disney in it!!

I have a wire Cinderall Couch I got at Winners that has a candle in it, on my entertainment centre, I have Castle that Dh bought me 2 trips ago that is on a corner floor shelf/stand in the hallway.

I think that is all I have moved so far. I also want to order the hanging candle from Disney.com, but when I went to order it this morning it said it couldn't contact my credit card company at this time. I will try again later.

I would love to have some towels done with some fancy scrole work on them, with a hidden Mickey throughout the scrole work.

I am looking for some more sophisiticated Disney things that don't scream Disney, but still make it clear that we LOVE Disney!!

Happy Disney decorating everyone!!

Here are a few pictures of our house at Christmas 2005. The flash on the camera did not work so the pictures are not that good. :surfweb:

Mantel.jpg

P0009618.jpg

P0009616.jpg

P0009641.jpg

P0009640.jpg

P0009620.jpg

P0009632.jpg

Hi. Where in the Disney area can you buy Disney stuff to decorate your home? Walmart, Target, Down Town Disney? I want to do our bathroom in Disney. I don't buy off ebay but I wish I did. Is there a Big Lots around Orlando? We are heading to Orlando next week (2). I hope that weather starts to heat up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter