I would have saved that scared rabbit.

dish rag

DIS Veteran
And for some reason 3 times in my life I just happened to be where someone needed help. One a young mother and toddler were in a building that collapsed. I dug them out, the lady ended up with a broken back the boy had his teeth knocked out. Someone called 911.
Another a man fell off his roof. Called 911 and stayed with him, his back too was broken.
Another a stolen car being chased forced an old man into an Orlando lake along I4 and I went in and got him out and to shore.

But part of me thinks the subway bomber that was injured should have just been left on the street. Wonder who will pay his medical bills.

And for some reason 3 times in my life I just happened to be where someone needed help. One a young mother and toddler were in a building that collapsed. I dug them out, the lady ended up with a broken back the boy had his teeth knocked out. Someone called 911.
Another a man fell off his roof. Called 911 and stayed with him, his back too was broken.
Another a stolen car being chased forced an old man into an Orlando lake along I4 and I went in and got him out and to shore.

But part of me thinks the subway bomber that was injured should have just been left on the street. Wonder who will pay his medical bills.
I disagree b/c he would have been a tripping hazard to the other commuters. Move him to the side at least.

Knowing that the bomber will be rotting in jail for the rest of his pathetic life brings me sweet comfort. He doesn't deserve to die quickly.

There's a chance I would have tried to save the rabbit too as long as I felt I wasn't risking my own life.

When I was around 12, my family and I went camping. The campground was beside s large lake, and there was a beach and an area was blocked off for swimming. So I was out in the water a ways, but my feet could still touch the bottom. I came upon a small child who was walking in the water, but his head was under the water, he was thrashing around, and it was apparent that he couldn’t find his way out. So I took hold of his arm and pulled him to safety so that his head was above the water. I was embarassed that someone might make a big deal out of it, so I scadiddled away.

I would not have "saved" the rabbit because I know wild animals are remarkably good at keeping themselves safe during wildfires and taking that rabbit likely left babies to starve in an underground nest, etc. It's far more likely that that man made things worse rather than better when he caught the rabbit.

Other things? I'd like to hope I'd do the right thing in the moment, but I guess it's hard to really know. I've been the one person who had the presence of mind to notify a nearby lifeguard when done slipped and had a head injury while others gathered and stared and the one who walked up to people on a bus and introduced myself and started a friendly conversation while some jerk was loudly making insulting comments about them, etc. But I've never been in a situation where any sort of dramatic rescue was warranted

Well perhaps we can blame the media a little bit about the rabbit. How many times have we seen commercials about forest fires that included scared looking animals or talked about burned animals. Smoky Bear himself was rescued from a fire. So sounds like we have been saying "save the animals" (not saying any of that is wrong, people obviously need to be more careful about fire).

NOW all of sudden everyone knows that the rabbit would have been just fine and knows what to do. Yeah, ok. (Not aiming this at you Hadley, I mean society at large)

Well the guy didn't he thought he was doing th right thing. And sometimes we could really use more people thinking they are doing the right thing and at least trying.

Well perhaps we can blame the media a little bit about the rabbit. How many times have we seen commercials about forest fires that included scared looking animals or talked about burned animals. Smoky Bear himself was rescued from a fire. So sounds like we have been saying "save the animals" (not saying any of that is wrong, people obviously need to be more careful about fire).

NOW all of sudden everyone knows that the rabbit would have been just fine and knows what to do. Yeah, ok. (Not aiming this at you Hadley, I mean society at large)

Well the guy didn't he thought he was doing th right thing. And sometimes we could really use more people thinking they are doing the right thing and at least trying.
Agreed. And I saw on tv that the rabbit is being treated by a vet b/c it was badly burned so not sure we can say it would have been ok. And the guy who saved it looked very young. So it was an impulsive kid who did what he thought was right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter