I won an Xbox One X.... now wwyd?!

Don't do it at all, if I could change one thing and my kids still turn out as great as they are it would be to never give them video games, now that there older 18, 20 I hate them and hated them as teenagers. They get so into them and then that's all they want to do. I asked them all through high school have you seen the light of day yet and do you remember what fresh air smells like? Ya mom we had to go to school today remember I saw it on my way. Ugg I have wonderful kids but they still play way to much and don't try and tell me you can liner it. Because when they get a certain age you can't. They turned out amazing but I still hate them.

We set limits on video game playing for our kids, and they work very well. As long as they live in my house, they have to abide by the limits we set.

I agree that if (and that a big if) you are planning to sell to look into the Switch. Wii isn't getting new titles. The Switch is. Personally I would keep it because I don't think its worth the hassle to sell but that JMO.

Keep the Xbox and gift it to him. Minecraft is the game he really wants to play and he cant play it on the Wii. He'll get years of use out of the Xbox, and so will you...it's more of an all-media system. It plays Blu-rays, has apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc. We have an Xbox One and it's nice because we just have that upstairs in our loft without having to have a separate device to play movies. On the main floor we have a Blu-ray player and an Xbox 360 (which can only play dvds, not Blu-rays).

There are plenty of appropriate games for both of your kids...Lego games, dance games, Zoo Tycoon, etc. There are also Marketplace games you can download to get more arcade type games. I do think overall Xbox is geared toward teens & adults but there are enough games for younger kids. The Wii is just so out of date (even the Switch has been a big letdown for people).

Don't do it at all, if I could change one thing and my kids still turn out as great as they are it would be to never give them video games, now that there older 18, 20 I hate them and hated them as teenagers. They get so into them and then that's all they want to do. I asked them all through high school have you seen the light of day yet and do you remember what fresh air smells like? Ya mom we had to go to school today remember I saw it on my way. Ugg I have wonderful kids but they still play way to much and don't try and tell me you can liner it. Because when they get a certain age you can't. They turned out amazing but I still hate them.

Why? If they enjoy it why does it matter so much? I am a gamer, have loved video games since my parents got me a Nintendo back in the day. I have a wonderful and fulfilling life, great husband and kids, and I play games for several hours at night before bed. It's something I enjoy and is a stress relief. You might not get it, I know my parents don't, but IMO this type of reaction is a little much.

To OP: I'd give the XBox to your son. My son (5) just started playing games on my old PS3 and it took awhile for him to be able to use the controller but once he got the hang of it he was fine. I would give it to him for Christmas, I think that would be an amazing gift (and a great one that you didn't have to spend a ton of $$ on!).

Because I'm a cheapskate, I would sell the one you bought and use the money to purchase the regular Xbox One, an extra controller, games, and a Live subscription.

I have to say as a old broad who has played games since the beginning (remember Pong? Or the old Atari systems?), I say ignore the negative nellies and give it to him! I play daily, so does my son. We're alright people who do manage to do things outside the house too ;).

Before deciding think about where/how you would sell it. Unless it sells out everywhere with no stock for the holidays, people aren't going to buy it off you at retail. There are also a lot of scams with electronics purchases through eBay and such. If you're not going to sell in person for cash, there's also hefty shipping and insurance to protect yourself.

I know it was free so you might not mind selling it below retail, but I'd make sure you have a plan for selling it before deciding.

If you re-read the OP, they have won the xbox one X...a system that hasn't even gone on sale yet and won't until Nov. An enhanced xbox with 4K video support and faster speeds. They are questioning if a 7 year old really needs this system. Honestly at that age he probably could care less about all the high def video and speeds this system will run on. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't have one.

The one thing about Microsoft that is better than Sony is that they make their newer systems backwards compatible. You can play older games on the newer systems. When my kids bought PS4 we had $500 worth of now useless games. So keeping this brand new system, you can still purchase xbox one games, and even some 360 games. This helps keep costs of games down using older and even used games. There are plenty of titles that younger kids can play. My kids got Playstation 2 about that age. The PS3 at about 12, then the PS4 a couple years ago when all that high tech video and such was more important to them. That's $$$$$ in 3 systems and even more in games they could no longer play. Thankfully they are now teens with part time jobs and buy their own games now! We started with a Wii as well and once they got a PS2, it just collected dust.

If I won a brand new system, I'd probably keep it, start with a few older age appropriate games and maybe spring for the X enhanced version of minecraft to really blow him away as having the most awesome parents ever! In 5 or 10 years when he might really care about the bigger stuff....you'll either already have a great system or it will be old news with something better out anyway. But in the mean time you have something that you can grow up with him.

The only thing that might change my mind is since this system is brand new, and going on sale during the holiday shopping season...it may very well become hard to find. If it started selling for crazy double retail prices.....then it might be to hard to pass up selling it and buying the older, cheaper, yet still awesome to a 7 year old x box one.

regards

I'd for sure keep it. X box has longevity. My kids still play the 360 a lot and that came out in 2005.

Congrats!

This is the weirdest comment. o_O

Like only if they turned out amazing by participating in sports or mountain climbing you would approve. I'd say if you have amazing wonderful kids thank your lucky stars.

I also have awesome kids who have grown up as gamers.

I would also keep it. I feel like we bought our 360 right before the One came out so within a couple years, our kids wanted the next version. With the X you'll already be ahead of the this curve and won't feel like you need to buy a new system for a long while.

This is the weirdest comment. o_O

Like only if they turned out amazing by participating in sports or mountain climbing you would approve. I'd say if you have amazing wonderful kids thank your lucky stars.

I also have awesome kids who have grown up as gamers.

I get what she is saying. I too have an amazing gamer. But that is all he wants to do. We do set limits but when he's not playing, he's watching gamers on YouTube, or reading about games or talking about games. It drives me insane some days.

I have a team of 40 highly skilled network engineers working for me that grew up as gamers...Those skills playing games...they are worth big bucks in the real world!

Jill in CO

I wouldn't spend any money on the Wii U. My kids never play with it. My dh is a gamer so we always have the latest stuff. I would also agree you should keep the Xbox. It's much more versatile. The Lego games alone are worth it!

I appreciate everyone's input! I especially like the point that I should reward my easy kid. I am not sure what we will do.... I gotta make sure it comes first! I am leaning towards keeping it unless it become super hard to find and/or there is a Black Friday deal on the older Xbox One. I might sell it at or slightly above cost at that point. As tempting as it might be.... I probably wouldn't make bank. I had hatchimals last year that I bought early and my kids never even asked for. I sold those at my cost plus tax/shipping to a couple of very happy moms. Even at cost.... it is $600 (I get a game too) that I didn't have before...

I get what she is saying. I too have an amazing gamer. But that is all he wants to do. We do set limits but when he's not playing, he's watching gamers on YouTube, or reading about games or talking about games. It drives me insane some days.
I know. But if all they talked about was how they love to play sports that would all be fine and good. Nobody is proud of their gamers. I must be weird because when he's killin it on a video game I'm like "Yes!!! Yeeeeeees!!!!"

I know. But if all they talked about was how they love to play sports that would all be fine and good. Nobody is proud of their gamers. I must be weird because when he's killin it on a video game I'm like "Yes!!! Yeeeeeees!!!!"

I agree - I love my gamer kids!:) And I don't just mean I have video gamers - mine play tabletop RPGs, collectible CCGs, miniatures, board games, computer games, video games, apps, etc:)...I will say it's much easier to have gamer kids now than 10 years ago, probably b/c tech has become so big, and Minecraft and other video games have become such learning tools, gaming has started to get a touch more respect:)...

I will add - while gaming's a huge hobby for my kids, it's not their only hobby...although even their other hobbies normally prefer the great indoors to the great outdoors (since they are in choirs and debate club, create pottery, perform in plays, swim in indoor pools, and volunteer as teacher's aides and pet sitters) - and that's fine by me b/c they are happy, active, involved, healthy, and good people...and one lesson my dear departed dad taught me is that all he ever asked for was "good, happy children." And I agree:)...

It's part of why I'd give the system - it's a good kid who will be made happy by the gift...win-win:)...sometimes, it is that easy...

If you have a good kid and he wants an Xbox for Minecraft, I think it would be better to give them nothing at all than to try and sub that out for a Wii. It's already two systems behind so if he sees something new he'll never be able to get it for his system, and it doesn't have the one game he actually asked for. A good easy kid will say thank you and be polite but then it sucks to have to pretend to enjoy the thing that isn't at all what you asked for. New Xbox will be supported for at least 5 or 6 years and will be something lasting he can enjoy.

Can I just say how awesome it is that you won this Xbox!!!! My 8&10 year old got Xbox one s last Christmas, and although I generally hate that my older son wants to play so often, he is a better student and athlete because of it. We use it as a reward. When he does his job by earning good grades and working hard, he gets time on Xbox. The rule is no Xbox on school days. My younger is just getting into it. He always preferred mine craft on the computer. He just got forza horizon 3 and loves it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter