I won an Xbox One X.... now wwyd?!

AZMermaid

DIS Veteran
I just won an Xbox One X from Taco Bell! Whaaaaa??? Crazy!

My 7 year old son is dying for an Xbox. We have no gaming system currently (that we are using). He doesn't know or care that this is the latest/greatest system, or so the internet says. We were planning on giving the kids our old Wii for Christmas. They don't know this exists. This accomplished two things... it would be a joint gift for both kids (DD5 as well). It also would be what I (as a total non gamer) feel is a more age appropriate system for my early elementary kiddos- but I could be wrong here. I figured it'd buy us two years before moving to the coveted Xbox.

So.... now... do I...

Give him/them the Xbox for Christmas- let them be the kids with the hot toy.

Sell it. Use the money to get an older model Xbox One. He's thrilled to get his Xbox. I've maud some money.

Sell it. Go with the Wii as planned. Use the money to finance Christmas. I feel like this is bad sweepstakes karma- haha! There's no Minecraft for the old Wii... which is the one game he seems to want. But he's my easy kid- we have like ten games and I think he'd be happy with this as well. Maybe not the over the top wow factor, but very happy.

What do you guys think?

IMO, I'd go with the Wii for that age. Other than mine craft, the rest of Xbox' games are for older kids (imo). We have both systems here for dd's, age 16 and 14, and they play the wii 99% of the time. I'd sell the Xbox and give them your old wii. And I'd also buy them a couple additional games such as Mario kart and wii sports if you don't have those already.

Unless you want the cash, give them the Xbox. We initially felt the same way about the Wii/Xbox thing for young kids, but in reality it's not completely true. Plenty of kids games for Xbox. My kids have been using Xbox since they were about 7, and they love it...and honestly we have let them play games that may not have been quite "age appropriate". We don't really see it as a big deal. Perhaps for the 5 year old, a Wii may be a better fit because it has more preschool "Chuck E Cheese" type games, but more importantly it's a bit easier to use than Xbox. No reason you couldn't do both. You already have the Wii, so that won't cost you anything. Let the 5 year old have that and the 7 year old can play Xbox...5 year old can join in on games you feel are appropriate. Each of our kids has their own system...and we're not ones to let them play video games a lot, they're very active. DD10 has the old Wii, and frankly it gets used very little anymore. Both DS10 and DS13 have Xbox360, but one of them is about to sell it and buy either Xbox One X or PS4.

Since he is your easy kid as you put it.... doesn't he deserve a nice surprise for being the easy kid? Something that will just blow him away... Something that he will remember forever. Its not about being the kids with the coolest toy, which is not to say he won't love having the coolest toy.. It will mean to him something totally different as he grows up, that moment will stick out for him....forever

I was the easy kid and we always get pushed to the back of the line...the its alright to get her whatever cause she's the easy kid......because all the high maintenance kids get more due to their behavior and demands. Mine came when I was about the same age. I wanted a Barbie dream house so bad, and the corvette to go with it. After opening all of the gifts my dad said what in the world and we ran into the kitchen, and there were 2 huge boxes at 7 they looked huge, one for my brother and one for me... His gift was a big wheel he went crazy and was jumping up and down... then it was my turn I opened the box and there were 2 boxes wrapped, I can remember shaking with excitement when I opened the corvette I was so shocked and excited that I forgot about the other box, when I tore the paper I saw the picture and started crying and shaking all over. Yep Barbie dream house was mine.... I was just in awe of it...I was so excited to have the coolest of the cool toys, but later on as I got older and looked back, It was my parents way of saying they were watching me and listening to me about what I wanted and dreamed of.

So I say give it to him.... that's my vote...

I think for a 5 and 7yo a Wii is good. We had that for years, still do. You can probably get lots of used games for a lot less and they would be good at that age. And I agree in about 2 yrs your older will most likely ask for an xbox. By then, you will most likely see another new version. the games get more powerful so the consols need to as well, just like computers. If you decide to keep it and surprise them, you will still find a fair amount of games that will be age appropriate, again I recommend going to game stop for used games. I will say that you can also use it to stream in 4k if you have a 4k tv, as well as regular streaming, playing blu rays ...all that good stuff. Both my boys(19,21) have had the entire series of xbox so of course the xbox X is what my 19yo is asking for for Christmas. I told him I'll pay for it if he can find it! Let me know if you decide to sell it-I would love to get that search out of the way.

My problem personally with the xbox would be the cost of the games and the difficulty of using the system. My son got totally frustrated over the xbox when we first got him one and he was older than 7 I believe. Also, I think there are more games for younger kids now but at the time there were few to choose from. And at $50 a pop, he didn't get to buy many either. Maybe check the reviews and see what people are saying about kids that age using xbox

If your son is dying for an Xbox, I would give him the Xbox. My 14yo is huge into Star Wars so mostly plays Battlefront but still loves to play Mine Craft and Terrarium. The 11yo plays a lot of the sports games but also Minecraft is super popular. My 5yo plays the Kinect games, skylanders and Disney Infinity. I do think that the Wii is more family friendly, but Xbox has plenty of options as well for all ages.

Don't do it at all, if I could change one thing and my kids still turn out as great as they are it would be to never give them video games, now that there older 18, 20 I hate them and hated them as teenagers. They get so into them and then that's all they want to do. I asked them all through high school have you seen the light of day yet and do you remember what fresh air smells like? Ya mom we had to go to school today remember I saw it on my way. Ugg I have wonderful kids but they still play way to much and don't try and tell me you can liner it. Because when they get a certain age you can't. They turned out amazing but I still hate them.

Give the Xbox - I'm a fan of easy and you were literally handed easy on silver platter. He'll be able to grow into the system over the years. Pick one or two of the very easy games (there are some), an extra controller, and call it a day for Christmas:)...

Don't do it at all, if I could change one thing and my kids still turn out as great as they are it would be to never give them video games, now that there older 18, 20 I hate them and hated them as teenagers. They get so into them and then that's all they want to do. I asked them all through high school have you seen the light of day yet and do you remember what fresh air smells like? Ya mom we had to go to school today remember I saw it on my way. Ugg I have wonderful kids but they still play way to much and don't try and tell me you can liner it. Because when they get a certain age you can't. They turned out amazing but I still hate them.

See, I don't understand that mindset. My kids, especially the boys, love video games too, and sure they'd want to play them all the time. However, we simply don't let them. They know that, and so it's really a non-issue. I was a video game junkie when I was younger...well, OK, it was the mall arcade in the 80's....I'm showing my age. :D I literally asked for quarters for my birthday. Heck, I even got a full sized pinball machine when I was 13. But I wasn't allowed to play video games all day...ever. I don't play them at all now, just don't have time or interest anymore. But I don't see a reason to completely withhold them from kids. Just be smart about it, and it's fine, IMO.

If he is asking for the Xbox and you have the ability to give it to him and he is an easy kid who is genuinely appreciative of what you do for him, I would give him the Xbox. My kids are older than yours, but we have the Wii and Xbox and they play each and have for years. I personally like the Mario games for kids (which are only on Wii), but we have had games on the Xbox for younger kids - they are out there.

I rarely ask for anything for Christmas or birthdays, but if I really wanted something, I would be much happier to get what I really wanted than a substitute that was close but not exactly what I wanted. Although I would still be happy with anything.

You have been gifted something that your son is dying to have - why wouldn't you surprise him with it? Just buy age-appropriate games that he will like. I understand that you had a plan and it would be easier to do the Wii as a joint gift, but you have the opportunity to do something very nice and unexpected for your son.

Sell it and get them a Nintendo Switch (Nintendo's Latest Console).... Best of both worlds.. newest gadget and all kid friendly games that they can play together.
This. I bought my niece and nephew the switch for their birthdays (they are twins). They love it and there are plenty of age appropriate games. They are 10 years old.

Also, don't let the naysayers stop you from giving them video games. Some of my fondest memories with my parents are us playing video games together and having fun. I played well through my 20's and still play to this day (31yo with 2 PS4's and 2 XBOX 1's). I now have Family Game nights with my wife and daughter all the time and they are a blast!

Other than Nintendo exclusives (Mario, etc) there isn't alot of difference in what you can find for younger kids for the Xbox. There are plenty of kid friendly age appropriate games made for all platforms.
That being said, if it were me I'd sell it and get the Xbox One. Your kids are young enough where they aren't true gamers (yet LOL) and don't need the latest and greatest console. This may be a very hard to get around the holidays and you may be able to make yourself a pretty penny from selling it.

I wouldn't get a Wii, I would get the Nintendo Switch if you plan to sell the Xbox. Wii is old technology and the Switch is amazing!

Jill in CO

Congrats! That's amazing. Personally I'd keep the xBox and surprise the kids at Christmas. There really are quite a few age-appropriate games on the xBox. I initially didn't want it in the house either as I thought it was mostly for adults. Finally I gave in and purchased an xBox 306 *just* for Minecraft. (It was not available on the WII back then). Best game ever. The entire house plays it now and my son is getting into coding because of it.

As a very experienced Grandma gamer (I had to learn to play due to having a 10 1/2 year old grandson) who owns an XBox One and a Wii U, I recommend you give your 17 year old the Xbox you won. Wii U doesn't offer anywhere near the games he will want to play and it has plenty of appropriate games available for younger gamers. I don't understand the poster who said an XBox is hard to use; it is not. My grandson has a Switch at home and while it's okay, again, there is a lack of games available for it and the XBox is still the superior gaming system. Keep in mind that with an XBox, you'll want to also get a subscription to XBox Live. Look for discount cards on eBay or through things like Groupon and sometimes, Amazon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter