I wish ABD would go to ...

Here is the most recent list on the ABD survey. I'm wondering if this might mean Japan is possibly on the horizon via a river cruise???

Alaska
Amazon
Arizona & Utah
Asian River Cruising
Australia
Austria & Czech Republic
Boston & New York
California (Hollywood & Disneyland® Resort)
Cambodia/Vietnam
Canadian Rockies
China & Hong Kong
Costa Rica
Egypt
European Alps
European River Cruising
France (Provence & Paris)
Galapagos Islands & Ecuador
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Italy (Rome, Tuscany & Venice)
Italy (Tuscany & Amalfi Coast)
London & Paris
Mid-Atlantic States
Nashville
New Zealand
Norway
Peru
Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Williamsburg
San Francisco
Scotland
Southeast Asia
South Africa
Southwest Canyons
Spain
Tasmania (Australia)
Yellowstone & Wyoming

Here is the most recent list on the ABD survey. I'm wondering if this might mean Japan is possibly on the horizon via a river cruise???

Alaska
Amazon
Arizona & Utah
Asian River Cruising
Australia
Austria & Czech Republic
Boston & New York
California (Hollywood & Disneyland® Resort)
Cambodia/Vietnam
Canadian Rockies
China & Hong Kong
Costa Rica
Egypt
European Alps
European River Cruising
France (Provence & Paris)
Galapagos Islands & Ecuador
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Italy (Rome, Tuscany & Venice)
Italy (Tuscany & Amalfi Coast)
London & Paris
Mid-Atlantic States
Nashville
New Zealand
Norway
Peru
Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Williamsburg
San Francisco
Scotland
Southeast Asia
South Africa
Southwest Canyons
Spain
Tasmania (Australia)
Yellowstone & Wyoming

This looks like the one we received after China. The glaring omission this year is Japan. I really wish the mixed message on Japan would be resolved. I've talked to CM's and heard other rumors from people who have talked to executives that it's on the horizon, but then it doesn't show up as an option on a list like this. It seems as if ABD isn't really interested in the places where people want to go that aren't on the existing trip list anymore, but it's more marketing data for ABD to figure out which of their existing trips has the most interest. I'm only counting a few in that list that aren't already being done.

RUSSIA. More than just St Petersburg. I went in 2002 and loved it. Would love to go back!! I was with a group of over 30 people.

Egypt is still on the list? Could they be considering reviving that adventure?

JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN
We were on the first revised Australia trip this summer (almost done with a trip report - just fighting photos right now) and we had an ABD exec along for the entire trip. She is one of the trip planners, designers. She did politely ask that we not quote her. She had been involved in the "refreshing" of the Australia trip. She took part in everything (and helped out when needed) so that she could see the trip and our interactions from our point of view. Whoops, sorry, she never called them trips. They are "experiences."

She advised that their problem with Tasmania was that it was just too cold during our summertime (their wintertime) for lots of activities, and flights were a huge problem. The same applies to New Zealand, as does group hotels and transport unless you just spend a lot of time on a bus. New Zealand's South Island is where the cool stuff is, but they get unpredictable and enormous amounts of snow in July...but she said there is still interest there. On Japan, she agreed there has been a lot of longstanding interest and that they are working on it. While Japan is not on our family's list, I have heard on the boards of an unrelenting interest, and she agreed and said to tell folks (not a quote) to be patient and expect to be surprised. She did not say it, but it sounded like they are also looking at some more flexible versions of trips, perhaps deliberately smaller. You may remember before the Great Recession they had some trips that were premium over the usual experience. They appear to continue to explore options. She repeatedly said that insiders should be patient...there is more to come. From the sense we got from her throughout the event, they appear to really want to steer these to "experiences" that are unique, available regardless of the weather (at least as to our summer season), and that provide a balance for families as well as adults. They really do work to honor the original Disney philosophy of giving a family an experience. So while a lot of adults only trips are out there, they still are based upon the family theme. At least that was the general impression we were left with in talking to her.

She indicated the increased "free time" on our Australia experience was a direct result of input from people, as was the creation of the Iceland experience. So yes, they are listening and do care and listen to what people say.

She gave insight to their trip process. The trip must be able to tell a unique story, and they try to weave this into the foundation of the entire trip. She would not say it was themed, but that each trip has a storyline and the little details are what they use to try to pull it together. She was fascinating listening to her talk about how they build these things, to rule out as much as possible things going awry, and how they balance what they see a group engaging in versus what one or two people who happen to be vocal have to say. The organization appears very deliberative in every aspect of the experience, as I guess we all knew, but tend to take for granted.

As she has been at this for some time, I had to ask her what her favorite trips were. She said without hesitation it would be the new Iceland trip, the revised Australia trip and she was "enraptured" with Norway as her absolute favorite. That trip, she said, was where they were able to work logistics where it should not be possible. After listening to her, I expect (if the DW agrees) that next year that will be the experience we choose.

We were on the first revised Australia trip this summer (almost done with a trip report - just fighting photos right now) and we had an ABD exec along for the entire trip. She is one of the trip planners, designers. She did politely ask that we not quote her. She had been involved in the "refreshing" of the Australia trip. She took part in everything (and helped out when needed) so that she could see the trip and our interactions from our point of view. Whoops, sorry, she never called them trips. They are "experiences."

She advised that their problem with Tasmania was that it was just too cold during our summertime (their wintertime) for lots of activities, and flights were a huge problem. The same applies to New Zealand, as does group hotels and transport unless you just spend a lot of time on a bus. New Zealand's South Island is where the cool stuff is, but they get unpredictable and enormous amounts of snow in July...but she said there is still interest there. On Japan, she agreed there has been a lot of longstanding interest and that they are working on it. While Japan is not on our family's list, I have heard on the boards of an unrelenting interest, and she agreed and said to tell folks (not a quote) to be patient and expect to be surprised. She did not say it, but it sounded like they are also looking at some more flexible versions of trips, perhaps deliberately smaller. You may remember before the Great Recession they had some trips that were premium over the usual experience. They appear to continue to explore options. She repeatedly said that insiders should be patient...there is more to come. From the sense we got from her throughout the event, they appear to really want to steer these to "experiences" that are unique, available regardless of the weather (at least as to our summer season), and that provide a balance for families as well as adults. They really do work to honor the original Disney philosophy of giving a family an experience. So while a lot of adults only trips are out there, they still are based upon the family theme. At least that was the general impression we were left with in talking to her.

She indicated the increased "free time" on our Australia experience was a direct result of input from people, as was the creation of the Iceland experience. So yes, they are listening and do care and listen to what people say.

She gave insight to their trip process. The trip must be able to tell a unique story, and they try to weave this into the foundation of the entire trip. She would not say it was themed, but that each trip has a storyline and the little details are what they use to try to pull it together. She was fascinating listening to her talk about how they build these things, to rule out as much as possible things going awry, and how they balance what they see a group engaging in versus what one or two people who happen to be vocal have to say. The organization appears very deliberative in every aspect of the experience, as I guess we all knew, but tend to take for granted.

As she has been at this for some time, I had to ask her what her favorite trips were. She said without hesitation it would be the new Iceland trip, the revised Australia trip and she was "enraptured" with Norway as her absolute favorite. That trip, she said, was where they were able to work logistics where it should not be possible. After listening to her, I expect (if the DW agrees) that next year that will be the experience we choose.

Wow! So fascinating! Thank you so much for reporting back! Norway has been near the top of my list for a while. Maybe it will move to next given what you have said. I'm one of those people who is dying for Japan. I love that there was some optimism in that regard. Did you get the impression it would be sooner rather than later? I'm really hoping for 2019 (announcing next may/June) but maybe that's too optimistic? Also love hearing about the possibility of smaller groups. I'm done with the plus 35 group touring. The only thing that would tempt me to book ABD early is Japan. From now on I'm probably waiting until last minute to see group size.

Grifdog, that is so interesting and thank you for posting. We are on Iceland for 2018 so that's great to read. @ CaliforniaGirl09, what did you book for 2018? I can't remember.

My family is pushing for Australia for 2019, sounds like that might be a good choice. It's the flight that gives me pause. So maybe Norway would be a good choice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!