i want adventure in the great wide somewhere - running journal! (comments welcome)

Newburyport Half Marathon Training Journal
Week 1/15

I know that I'm starting this a week late, but I have a good excuse. Just call me Grace, because I fell down some steps at work and cut up/bruised my knee and foot and elbow and it hurt enough that I couldn't run that week. So I ended up starting a week late but it all ends up working out to be a decent training schedule, which you can see below.

Week 1 Plan:
Tues 7/10: 30 minutes
Thurs 7/12: 30 minutes
Weekend 7/14-15: 4 miles

Week 1 Actual:
Tues 7/10: 2.55 miles • 33:16 • 13:04 avg pace
Thurs 7/12: skipped due to pure exhaustion
Weekend 7/15: 4.04 miles • 50:59 • 12:37 avg pace

I felt TERRIBLE running in the heat of 7/10. It was after work and I was hot and tired and felt so. slow. I wanted to do a 45 minute run but just plain couldn't. I asked my dad if I looked like I hadn't run in over a month because I FELT like I hadn't run in over a month.

This weekend's run was much cooler temps and at night so I was much faster than I anticipated being. It's hard to run in the summer when you're used to such cool running weather. But since I felt so good and so fast, I feel like I'm going to get back into my groove in no time. Due to the nature of my new job, I'm going to have to run after work and it'll be hot but it is what it is.

On that note, let's talk fashion, ladies. Does anyone have some good ideas for running leggings that aren't super thick or hot to wear? I have a pair of Nike crops that I got at an outlet I like - it has mesh behind the knees. I also do like my lululemons and am happy to pay money for quality leggings, especially because I'll wear them alllll the time. I just feel like some of them are HOT HOT HOT to wear and I need something that's much cooler because I am not about to wear shorts to run because I'm not about that chub rub life.

ANYWAY...

This is my thought for the remaining long runs:

7/22 - 5 miles
7/29 - 6 miles
8/5 - 7 miles
8/12 - off (I'll be taking a whirlwind weekend trip to WDW)
8/19 - 6 miles
8/26 - 8 miles
9/2 - 6 miles
9/9 - 9.5 miles
9/16 - 6 miles
9/23 - 11 miles
9/30 - 6 miles
10/7 - 12/5 miles
10/14 - 4 miles
10/21 - half marathon day (and the one year anniversary of my first race)

Week 2/15

The second round of day 1 didn't go as planned, so day 1 started on day 2, which was originally day 5... anyway...

Week 2 Plan:
Tues 7/17: 30 minutes
Thurs 7/19: 30 minutes
Weekend 7/21-22: 4 miles

Week 2 Actual:
Tues 7/17: skipped due to storms
Thurs 7/19: 3.57 miles • 44:52 • 12:34 min/mile avg. pace
Weekend 7/21: 5.06 miles • 1:06:25 • 13:08 min/mile avg. pace

Thursday was a night run with Jenna that felt pretty fast. My average paces are probably a bit off because I'm using the first intervals (2:30) as my warmup (walking) and then my cool down is pretty informal, but it's whenever I hit the desired time/distance. I'm still using a 1:30/1:00 ratio but I'm considering going to 2:00/1:00. Just feel ready for it.

Saturday morning I went for a run alone and boy was it hot. Also my least favorite distance (5 miles). But it wasn't terrible, I was definitely slow due to (a) being a bit out of practice and (b) the heat.

But this was a pretty cool part of my run:

IMG_1881.JPG
A swan!

Remaining long runs:

7/29 - 6 miles
8/5 - 7 miles
8/19 - 6 miles
8/26 - 8 miles
9/2 - 6 miles
9/9 - 9.5 miles
9/16 - 6 miles
9/23 - 11 miles
9/30 - 6 miles
10/7 - 12/5 miles
10/14 - 4 miles

Last edited:
Week 1/15

I know that I'm starting this a week late, but I have a good excuse. Just call me Grace, because I fell down some steps at work and cut up/bruised my knee and foot and elbow and it hurt enough that I couldn't run that week. So I ended up starting a week late but it all ends up working out to be a decent training schedule, which you can see below.

Week 1 Plan:
Tues 7/10: 30 minutes
Thurs 7/12: 30 minutes
Weekend 7/14-15: 4 miles

Week 1 Actual:
Tues 7/10: 2.55 miles • 33:16 • 13:04 avg pace
Thurs 7/12: skipped due to pure exhaustion
Weekend 7/15: 4.04 miles • 50:59 • 12:37 avg pace

I felt TERRIBLE running in the heat of 7/10. It was after work and I was hot and tired and felt so. slow. I wanted to do a 45 minute run but just plain couldn't. I asked my dad if I looked like I hadn't run in over a month because I FELT like I hadn't run in over a month.

This weekend's run was much cooler temps and at night so I was much faster than I anticipated being. It's hard to run in the summer when you're used to such cool running weather. But since I felt so good and so fast, I feel like I'm going to get back into my groove in no time. Due to the nature of my new job, I'm going to have to run after work and it'll be hot but it is what it is.

On that note, let's talk fashion, ladies. Does anyone have some good ideas for running leggings that aren't super thick or hot to wear? I have a pair of Nike crops that I got at an outlet I like - it has mesh behind the knees. I also do like my lululemons and am happy to pay money for quality leggings, especially because I'll wear them alllll the time. I just feel like some of them are HOT HOT HOT to wear and I need something that's much cooler because I am not about to wear shorts to run because I'm not about that chub rub life.

ANYWAY...

This is my thought for the remaining long runs:

7/22 - 5 miles
7/29 - 6 miles
8/5 - 7 miles
8/19 - 6 miles
8/26 - 8 miles
9/2 - 6 miles
9/9 - 9.5 miles
9/16 - 6 miles
9/23 - 11 miles
9/30 - 6 miles
10/7 - 12/5 miles
10/14 - 4 miles

What about a running skirt? Lulu has shorts underneath with pockets. I wear those. I’m only 5’4”, but I buy the tall size because the shorts are longer under the skirt.

What about a running skirt? Lulu has shorts underneath with pockets. I wear those. I’m only 5’4”, but I buy the tall size because the shorts are longer under the skirt.

I'm not a skirt girl. I really like how my butt looks in lulu's leggings so want to show it off. :rotfl:
I think I just need more of the capri length running tights with pockets, because I love the ones I have from lulu that I've worn for my races.

Last edited:

Week 3-6/15

This is where my excuses go, right?

Week 3-6 Plan:
Tues + Thurs (7/24, 7/26, 7/31, 8/2, 8/7, 8/9)
30 minutes

Weekends (7/28-29, 8/4-5, 8/11-12)
6 miles / 7 miles / off while in Disney

Week 3-6 Actual:
I didn't run much...
Tues 8/7: 2.17 miles • 28:51 • 13:16 min/mile avg. pace
Wed 8/15: 2.62 miles • 32:11 • 12:17 min/mile avg. pace
Saturday 8/18: 5.77 miles • 1:15:03 • 13:00 min/mile avg. pace

I have forgotten how to run in heat. When I started training for princess a year ago (!!!) it was the dead of summer and I actually did pretty well. However... last summer was (a) cooler and (b) I was able to go for runs early in the morning before work or late after work. This summer I'm leaving my house at 7 every day and get home around 6 famished so I'm more focused on food than running. You guys know I got a new job, so it's been an adjustment.

The Tuesday run I was alone and decided to cut my run short. The Wednesday run was with Jenna, hence the faster pace and actually hitting the 30 minutes (and it wasn't too hot, either).

Today's run I was alone and determined, but the heat was killing me and I walked a vast majority of the last 2.5 miles or so. I should have planned better and woken up earlier, but I accidentally watched two movies last night and didn't go to sleep until well after 1:00, so I feel like I did pretty well today considering (a) the heat and (b) how out of shape I am.

Down below are my remaining long runs - let's see how these go. It's my last week of camp, so hopefully I can work in a run or two after work, but I have a feeling this week is insanely busy. Then I'm going to a concert next weekend but that's my only thing and I can run before or the next day. Then I have a week vacation and will have lots of time in between beach days and day trips with my nephew (his camp is also over but his parents both still have work and school doesn't start until after the long weekend, so I'm taking him for 3 days).

Then it's fall and the good weather kicks in and we're counting down to the next half marathon (and hopefully a PR/beat my 2:30 goal) and I can schedule in runs easier because my day will hopefully be a bit shorter than these camp days are!

Remaining long runs:
8/26 - 8 miles
9/2 - 6 miles
9/9 - 9.5 miles
9/16 - 6 miles
9/23 - 11 miles
9/30 - 6 miles
10/7 - 12/5 miles
10/14 - 4 miles

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your fall. That sounds very painful! That's a good schedule you have left and plenty of time to still be ready for the race!! Hopefully cooler temps are on the way.

Sorry to hear about your fall. That sounds very painful! That's a good schedule you have left and plenty of time to still be ready for the race!! Hopefully cooler temps are on the way.

Yesterday was low 70s and today is low 60s so we FINALLY have cooler temps. They could not have come soon enough!

Last edited:

Week 7-9/15

It was hot out... I was tired and out of shape... Work is hard... When I run alone I'm less motivated so I give up earlier... I'm just sort of in a rut.

Week 7-9 Plan:
Tues + Thurs 8/21, 8/23, 8/28, 8/30, 9/4, 9/6)
30-45 minutes

Weekends (8/25-26, 9/1-2, 9/8-9/9)
8 miles / 6 miles / 9.5 miles

Week 7-9 Actual:
Tues 8/28: 2.06 miles • 25:16 • 12:16 min/mile avg. pace
Thurs 8/30: 3.11 miles • 38:39 • 12:26 min/mile avg. pace
Mon 9/3: 6.26 miles • 1:30:32 • 14:28 min/mile avg. pace
Sat 9/8: 7.02 miles • 1:26:44 • 12:21 min/mile avg. pace

So... I am clearly behind on my long runs and when I go on them, they're inconsistent. The 6 miler was supposed to be a 7.5 mile run but it was really hot and Jenna and I actually walked the last mile and a half or so because we were struggling and our endurance is not where it was in May. The heat doesn't help, and I know that it's valid and that running in 80+ degrees and humidity does slow you down and make it more difficult, but I still feel crappy about not being able to complete the run the way I wanted to.

With that said, yesterday was low 70s and not very sunny and low humidity and we had a great run! Hopefully the weather continues this way and we're able to build back up our endurance and nail that 2:30:00 goal at the end of October.

Remaining long runs:

9/16 - 6 miles
9/23 - 11 miles
9/30 - 6 miles
10/7 - 12.5 miles
10/14 - 4 miles

The heat is always a killer for me. Hopefully those cooler temps are on the way and you'll get some renewed energy from that!

Week ???/15

I honestly don't even know where I should be anymore. I have no idea what my plan was or where it went. All I know is that a week from today I'm supposed to run 13.1 miles and a few months ago I wanted to do it in 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Plan:
Let's be real, there is no plan anymore. The plan is to maybe run sometimes.

Week Whatever Actual:
Thurs 10/4: 3.01 miles • 36:7 • 12:00 min/mile avg. pace
Sun 10/7: 8 miles • 1:56:31 • 14:34 min/mile avg. pace
Sun 10/14: 10 miles • 2:10:55 • 13:04 min/mile avg. pace

I don't even remember the 3 mile run. I think it was after work and late and it got dark and I run faster when it's dark out because I'm afraid I'll be murdered. I also started listening to a podcast called My Favorite Murder.

The 8 mile run was awful. Like, walk-half-of-it bogus. Like, when you use ratios it ends up being more of a walk-3/4-of-it bogus. It was hot. We are out of shape.

Today's 10 mile run was awesome, though. We went back to the 1:1 ratio and it was a gorgeous fall day with a nice brisk chill to the air and the most amazing fall foliage. It made me feel 1000x better about next week's half and that 2:30 might be in reach.

44088768_10213429886081902_2604659964353970176_n.jpg

After this half, I'm going to focus on a 5k in November for the organization I work for and then I'll turn to focusing on some 10ks in the spring and fall before diving into Princess Challenge mode for 2020 - the year I turn Dirty Thirty (a.k.a. Thirty Flirty and Thriving a.k.a. Thirty AF).

Remaining long runs:

10/21 - half marathon day (and the one year anniversary of my first race)!

Newburyport Half Marathon Race Recap
This is a little bit overdue, huh, guys? I mean, I ran this a month ago. Over a month ago! Time flies, even if I don't.

Anyway, this is half marathon number 3 for the year, and the last one until sometime in 2019 (or even until 2020 - I haven't decided yet). This was not a great race - I was definitely underprepared and it'll show in the recap, but I again want to thank you guys for your support throughout this year long running journey (and it isn't over yet!)

Let's do this recap.

Sunday Race Day
This was the type of race where we didn't do bib pick up early. The race was north of where I lived, so I went and picked up Jenna around 7:15 because it was about a 30 minute drive to the start/finish area and we could start picking up bibs around 7:45. There was parking at a middle school (I think) and we could have parked there and taken a shuttle, but we decided to take a chance with street parking on one of the side roads around the course and got a decent spot.

We headed out to grab our bibs, which also came with a pint glass and a long sleeve shirt. After we got that stuff, we decided to walk back to my car and sit in the warmth.

Guys, let's talk weather real quick. The weather was AWFUL. It wasn't raining, but it was really cold and windy with the occasional raindrop/misty-wet air. The start/finish was right on the water, too, so that made it worse.

Anyway, we sat in my car until about 15 minutes before the start and then headed back over for a quick warm up a.k.a. there was a playground and I went on the swing set. Then we found a spot in the crowd to start, right in between the 2:45 and the 2:30 pacers since we wanted to see if we could beat our previous PRs of 2:37 and maybe even hit below 2:30 (spoiler: nope).

And go.

Mile 1: 11:48
Mile 2: 12:33
Mile 3: 12:14
The first mile went great! In fact, it was only 1 second off from my first mile in the Martha's Vineyard Half. From there, the two runs became very different. This is a super hilly course, whereas Martha's Vineyard was much flatter. So the first mile was quick, but then it was a big uphill (both literally and a figurative battle). We were still sticking with the 2:45 pacer and the 2:30 pacer was in sight, so we felt all right. The only bummer is that the pacer was running straight - no intervals - otherwise I probably would have jumped on with her.

Mile 4: 11:49
Mile 5: 12:02
Mile 6: 12:20
Mile 7: 13:13
Mile 8: 13:47
Mile 9: 13:06
Mile 4 was another quick mile, but it was the last time I would be that fast, which is a bummer when I compare it to my times from Martha's Vineyard. But that was one race and this was another. Right around mile 5 is when we left the neighborhoods and began running through the gorgeous state park. That was one of the pros of this race - the course (though hilly) is stunning. If the weather were better I bet I would have loved running it a lot more and even done fairly well. Unfortunately, around here I started feeling really nauseous. At one point I turned to Jenna and said "I would really like to vomit right now - I think I'll feel better if I do." Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I never puked - but I really do think it would have helped me feel better. I did make a port-a-potty stop right around mile 9 which helped me feel a bit lighter for a little bit.

Mile 10: 12:57
Mile 11: 13:14
Mile 12: 14:16
Mile 13: 13:50
We left the state park just around mile 10 and were back into neighborhoods and what looked like an industrial park. I was feeling a little bit better for a short while, but then all of a sudden I felt nauseous again. Right about mile 12 is where it all fell apart, as you can see by my times. Jenna started to pull away and I told her to run her pace and I would run mine - she was never far, though, so I continued to call out run/walks. I was in a lot of pain in my feet/legs here and it honestly felt better to just run, so I was doing a lot of slow shuffle-running and ignoring the intervals. Oh, and of course I cried. It's what I do when I'm finishing a race - usually mile 11 is when I realize that I'm actually going to finish. I continued this through the end and finished with a time of 2:51:49. Still faster than Disney!

finishedit.jpg
This is not a great photo, but here I am finishing! My shirt says "run all the miles drink all the beer."

Post Race
Finishing meant receiving my medal, two beer tickets, and some pizza. Oh, also water and a banana and granola bars. Fuel is important. We stopped to stretch a bit because I was hurting, and then we got into the beer line because it was shortest. We each had some of our pint but it was cold and we were hungry, so we decided to ditch the first beer and go for some pizza before returning to the beer.

Spoiler alert: we didn't go back for more beer. It was too cold and we were ready to get going. So we tried to give away our final beer ticket and couldn't, so we just trashed them and walked back to the car. I think that the post-race party would have been a ton of fun if the weather were right, but that wasn't in the cards. It was the rainiest October (maybe on record) and New England basically skipped fall this year.

44452993_10213476127797916_3618648438100459520_n.jpg
This is not the pint glass they gave me, but the plastic cup they served beer in + my medal.

Reflection
There are probably a number of reasons this race didn't go well for me. But I think there were 3 main reasons. First, I was not very well trained. The weekend prior to this race, I ran 10 miles and felt great. It was a gorgeous day on a flat bike trail. Race day was a gross day and a very hilly course. I also had neglected the weekday runs and the weekend runs were inconsistent. Second, I didn't use the bathroom before the race. This is TMI, but I think I felt super nauseous during the race because my body was full and felt gross. Which is why I felt a little better after the port-a-potty stop but it didn't sustain me. Finally, I couldn't get my body temperature to stabilize during the race. I started out wearing layers - a tank top, a running jacket, and a windbreaker. I wore cropped pants on my bottom because I don't have full length leggings with a pocket (they're on my Christmas list). I think it was between mile 4-6 that I took off that middle layer and dumped it because I was too warm. And then I spent the race rolling up my wind breaker's sleeves, then rolling them back down. Repeat x100. I wish I had just worn a good, long-sleeve shirt for the entirety of the race, but I don't really have any (again, on my Christmas list).

And that's that.

I did run a 5k about a week ago and I might to a short recap of that in a little bit (it went well!). I don't have any races on the calendar except for one in 2020 - the Disney Princess Half. The plan is to do all 3 races that weekend so Jenna and I need to start thinking about training. Especially because there's a good chance that she'll be living in California for the last 2-4 months of that training cycle so my running buddy will be 3,000 miles away and we can't run together and we'll need a plan to hold each other accountable.

FINAL TIME: 2:51:49

Last edited:
Congrats on another half marathon finish! Sounds like a tough course with rough weather and you toughed it out and finished. Well done!

Congrats on another half marathon finish! Sounds like a tough course with rough weather and you toughed it out and finished. Well done!

This is a VERY delayed thank you! You are one of my favorite people to follow on here so to have your support is very meaningful. :)

Last edited:
I've been meaning to post here with some updates for about a month now, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and properly reintroduce myself. So in the meantime, here are some photos of sneakers I've gotten. Unfortunately, I don't think either is going to be my next running shoe (the gorgeous black and white nikes are officially retired) because I have some arch pain when I run in these two pairs, but they're pretty and I like the way they look so I'm showing them to you!

IMG_4024.jpeg IMG_2379.JPG

The pair on the left are newer and they're the closest thing I could get to the Nike Flex Experience RN 6. These are a Nike Flex Contact. They might be my camp shoe. The pink ones on the right are a Nike React and they were a gift from my neighbor for taking my Buddy B for a day this summer when his camp and my camp were both closed for the summer. These will also be for camp and just hanging around - ya know, whenever I need a dope pink shoe. Maybe it'll go with some outfits during my next Disney trip...

Anyway - I'll be back sometime soon with a new post reintroducing myself and talking my races for the next year or so!

I also owe you two 5k reports!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!