i want adventure in the great wide somewhere - running journal! (comments welcome)

Disney Marathon 2021 Training Journal
New England Half Marathon Training Journal

Race day tomorrow, friends! I'm getting ready to settle down for the night and figured I'd share my two runs from the week.

October 6: 3 miles • 33:05 • 11:02 avg pace
October 8: 3.04 miles • 32:23 • 10:40 avg pace

I've been doing a run 5, walk 1 this week. Also pausing my watch at stoplights so it doesn't count when I'm stopped and waiting to cross (which at one light was, I swear, a solid 5 minute wait).

The plan for tomorrow is to run 2:00 and walk 1:00. My goal is 2:30-2:35, but I'll be happy with anything under 2:45.

The forecast is... not bad! I'm running in my cropped leggings and a tank top. 531485

I'm bringing some gummies as a mid-race snack. I'm waiting to hear from my friend Eric about if he wants to stop for a bagel along the way since we have to be on the road at 7 am and won't be starting until almost 10 am. I'm betting we stop at a Dunks on the way. Anyway, I'm off to bed. 6 am and I aren't great friends. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Disney Marathon 2021 Race Recap
New England Half Marathon Race Recap

🏃‍♀️💃🏃‍♀️💃🏃‍♀️💃

Personal Record!!!!!!! Okay, recap time.

Pre-Race

About a week before the race, I received an e-mail asking if there was anyone that I needed to run with for any reason (transportation, family members, etc.) So Eric and I requested that we start around the same time.

Two days before the race, I received an e-mail with all the pre-race information, including early bib pick up, parking, transportation, bib pick up, start time, etc. This company has everything planned down to the second because they use a "time trial" start format with one person starting every 10 seconds. Eric and I had an 8:13 bus from the finish to the start so he picked me up at 7 and we were parked by 8 and eating our bagels (his was plain, mine had cream cheese and smoked salmon). We then headed over to our bus and were brought to the start line were we got our bibs and waited to start. It seemed like something had gone wrong and the start times were off, so we were waiting longer than I would have liked.

IMG_7317.jpeg
The view from the start line. The photo doesn't do the view justice.

IMG_7322.jpeg
Me with the course map!

The start line was very cold. It was an orchard at the top of a mountain, so it was super windy. When it was sunny, it was fine, but the wind whipped through. I was going to include my sweatshirt as part of gear check, bu I couldn't part with it. As group 7 was leaving, we gave our bags to gear check and then as group 8 began to start we headed closer to the starting corral so that we would be ready to get to our numbered cone when it was time. We started a few minutes after our originally scheduled start time and race time!

Race

Mile 1 - 3: Eric and I started 10 seconds apart, so I hurried ahead to catch up with him and we ran the first three miles together. According to my app (which I did start just after the finish line) I was averaging a 10:00 minute pace during these 3 miles. I. Flew. I think we barely walked, mostly ran this and it was mostly downhill. There was one hill that I KILLED because we had done hills the week before with my running group and I had some good strategies for conquering it. I did slow down during mile 3 because it was uphill on a highway on ramp and for a minute I thought we were going to be running on the high way. Live free or die, right? Classic New Hampshire. 10:23 • 10:00 • 10:49

2020 New England Half Marathon-22540.jpeg
Start line photo. The only not terrible photo of me and there are 0 photos of me finishing. Boo.

Mile 4 - 6: Mile 4 was very slow because I had gone too fast out the gate and because of the two big hills. I had also sent Eric away during this because I knew I was holding him back and he needed to get out and see what he could do with the last 10 miles. I did recover and speed back up again, closer to my usual pacing when I run on my own. 12:03 • 11:25 • 11:32

Mile 7 - 10:
This is the beginning of the major slowdown, but I did feel really good and thanks to my quick start I had a good feeling that I would still run my best half marathon ever. Number 5 is the charm. According to RunKeeper, this was also a net gain in elevation whereas miles 1, 2, 3, 5, and and 6 were all downhill. Mile 7 was only -33 feet, while 8, 9, and 10 were +8 feet, +57 feet, and +31 feet. After this was all downhill, literally, not figuratively. 11:23 • 11:41 • 12:21 • 12:16

Mile 11 - 13:
I gained a little bit of speed here as the last three miles were -64 feet, -85 feet, and -23 feet. I was TIRED at this point. My feet were hurting and I was so ready to be done. In classic me fashion, I cried the entire last 2 miles so I looked crazy. These miles also felt like they went on for ever. 12:05 • 12:47 • 12:20

Mile .1:
The finish line is pretty cool. We were back to where we had picked up the buses in the morning, so looking at the state house, you come running up to it on the right and run along side of it, turn left to go behind it, then left again to the other side of it and finish.

Post Race
I put on a mask right after I finished my breakfast and then I threw it away right at the start line, as per the race regulations. Right after finishing the race, they gave a mask with the medal, which was a nice touch. It's not a great mask and I only use it when I'm grabbing the mail in my building lobby if there's people out there, but it was a nice gesture to give them out.

There was all sorts of stuff to grab, so I took Powerade and a canned drink that looked like Truly Seltzer but was actually an energy drink of some sort. Once I finished those, I went to the tent to get my sweatshirt. There was also a band playing live music and some snacks, most of which I skipped since I don't like oranges or pineapple. Eric and I took a photo with our medals at the photo stop and then headed to the car because the mask wearing from people was Not Great. Live free or die, remember?

Eric dropped me back off at home and I took this nice photo of my medal. I don't have the original, just the photos I posted to stories so that's why there's text on it.

121066318_10218931778985786_3086216482416216891_o.jpg
That is a gorgeous medal... and look at my fancy home decor at my fancy new condo!

FINAL TIME: 2:33:52

Last edited:
Disney Marathon 2022 Training Journal

I guess it's time to transition this into my 2022 training journal... So let's see... The plan is to run my first marathon at Disney in 2022. I'm going to use 2021 as a year to really train my half marathon/10 mile time to get POT all set for the race. I'm not far off: my personal best for a half is now 2:33:57 and I recently ran a 5k in 30:56, which is an unofficial PR. I'm getting a little speedier.

Since my half marathon, let's talk about my training runs:

October 17: 3.12 miles • 33:37 • 10:47 avg pace
This was a virtual race to raise money for my local YMCA. I used to work there and one of my close friends still does, so he and I parked there and ran the course they had mapped out.

October 18: 4.00 miles • 42:56 • 10:43 avg pace
The
next morning was week 5 of the faster 5k program. I had missed week 4 because of the half marathon pace, but I was told they did quarter mile sprints. This week we went to a local lake that is 3 miles around (and my nemesis) and did the following workout after our usual 10 minute warm up jog and drills: .5 mile warm up, .5 miles fast 2 minutes recover 4x, :30 sprint :30 recover 6x.

October 20: 3.00 miles • 31:14 • 10:23 avg pace
Tuesday night run with the running club girls followed by food and drinks.

October 25: 3.14 miles • 30:56 • 9:51 avg pace

This was the final week of the run a faster 5k, so we went back to the course we ran week 1 and ran it again. We started with a 15 minute warm up and drills, then crossed the street to the "start." I stuck with a woman who I thought I would be able to match for about a half mile. Well, we ended up running the first two miles together before she took off for the final mile. I think I could have matched her because when I finished, while tired, still had a little bit of gas in me. Either way, this is the fastest I've run since... high school? College? And this improvement came after just 6 weeks of training with a coach. Just imagine what else I have in me. For the record, my time on the same course 6 weeks prior was 34:15.

October 27: 4.00 miles • 43:54 • unknown avg pace

Another Tuesday night run with the girls. We stopped for a photo outside a house decked out for Halloween and I thought I had restarted my watch but hadn't, so I got my time from the girl I was running with but lack the average pace. NBD. This is also the first time I've ever run more than 3 miles straight.

October 31: 3.02 miles • 34:24 • 11:24 avg pace
A fun Halloween run (in costume) with the club! I was Minnie Mouse, but left the ears in the car because they were squeezing my brain. The ears are fun for the parks when they come on and off. Not so much when running.

Okay... those were the training runs since. My running club has started a November challenge where we log our miles, so I'll be doing 3-4 miles tonight with the girls (followed by a drink or two to get me through the rest of the evening).

The rest of my plan for the month is to follow this schedule:
Sundays: Yoga
Mondays: Rest
Tuesdays: Run
Wednedays: Arms
Thursdays: Run
Fridays: Abs
Saturdays: Long Run

I'm going to spend this week finding some local half marathons to train for, then build my training plan around those, working on some speed and building distance for the 2022 marathon. My goal is to break 2:30 for the half and 30 minutes for a 5k... and heck... why not... let's aim for a sub 60 minute 10k too? Why not? I have a year to get it done!

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

I'm going to quote myself from the last update:

"The rest of my plan for the month [of November] is to follow this schedule:
Sundays: Yoga
Mondays: Rest
Tuesdays: Run
Wednesdays: Arms
Thursdays: Run
Fridays: Abs
Saturdays: Long Run"

:rotfl2:

About that...
November 3: 3.00 miles • 31:56 • 10:38 avg pace
November 5: 3.20 miles • 33:32 • 11:06 avg pace
November 7: 6.02 miles • 1:10:11 • 11:40 avg pace
November 1o: 3.00 miles • 35:06 • 11:40 avg pace
November 17: 3.91 miles • 41:34 • 10:38 avg pace

November 24: 4.00 miles • 44:58 • 11:14 avg pace
November 28: 4.22 miles • 47:22 • 11:13 avg pace

I did maybe... one night of yoga? Not a single arm or ab workout. Mostly ran on Tuesday nights and the occasional weekend... maybe one Thursday? I JUST made the mileage amount to be entered in the raffle for my club's November challenge. Oh well. I need a race. Clearly. I have the club's virtual 5k in December, but that's hard for me to feel motivated to do.

I'll be back in December for more updates.

Last edited:

December Miles Time! This journal will become more... journal-y when I have a race to do.
December 1: 3.94 miles • 43:12 • 10:58 avg pace
December 8: 4.00 miles • 45:55 • 11:28 avg pace
December 10: 3.15 miles • 35:19 • 11:13 avg pace
December 12: 3.14 miles • 35:20 • 11:16 avg pace

This was my running club's virtual 5k. I ran it with our group on the course. So it was the race without the timer and without the official-ness of being at an in-person race. But it was fun to be with the group. Here's my post-race selfie in my team quarter zip that I absolutely love.

December 12: 6.00 miles • 1:10:36 • 11:45 avg pace
I just want to point out that I ran 6 miles WITHOUT WALKING. Well... mostly. There were some ICY spots out there so there was some very slow running/careful walking over those spots. But still! In 2017 I was doing run/walk and now I'm running 6 miles without really even... trying? Not that I'm not trying. But it's not an intentional goal to be running straight. It's just the nature of being part of a running club where I run with people who don't do ratios. It's adapt or be left behind. So I've adapted.

December 29: 4.11 miles • 44:08 • 10:45 avg pace

See you at the end of January for more!

Last edited:

I haven't technically registered for a race, but there are two near me on 4/11 (one is in MA so I'm not sure if it'll happen and the other is in RI and I believe he has held other races safely so I'm anticipating this is the one I'll do) so I've come up with a plan.

As always, my week day runs will be 30-45 minutes. Here is what I've mapped out for the long runs:

1/9: 5 miles
1/16: 3 miles
1/23: 6.5 miles
1/30: 3 miles
2/6: 8 miles
2/13: 3 miles
2/20: 9.5 miles
2/27: 4 miles
3/6: 11 miles
3/13: 4 miles
3/20: 12.5 miles
3/27: 14 miles
4/3: 4 miles
4/11: race

Last edited:
Half Marathon Proof of Time Week 1

Might as well get back to some weekly updates now that I have a (tentative) race for April 11! The thought process is that if I don't race that day then I'll just dive back in to the training with some speed work and try again later in the summer/early fall.

I don't know if I said it explicitly, but my goal for this race is POT for the marathon in 2022. A sub 2:30 half marathon. On to it:

January 5: 3.9 miles • 41:45 • 10:45 avg pace
This was actually 4 miles but my watch was a bit slow to start and cut off the first 1/10th of a mile. No intervals. Followed up with dinner and drinks with my club.

January 7: 3.0 miles • 34:03 • 11:20 avg pace
No intervals. A surprisingly warm run up and down the street I live on. I went mid day because I didn't want to tweet something that put me on an FBI watch list. Kidding. Sort of. Mostly.

January 9: 5.01 miles • 57:42 • 11:31 avg pace
No intervals. Ran with my club at 8 am this morning. The Saturday morning run is a standing offer for the club. We post on Facebook our distance and pace and that's how we find a buddy. I ran with Chloe, who I've known for a while. Our goal was 12:00 pace but we were a little speedy. Nothing wrong with that! This is a nice conversation pace for me. I was never really out of breath.

Upcoming Long Runs:
Week 2 • 1/16 • 3 miles
Week 3 • 1/23 • 6.5 miles
Week 4 • 1/30 • 3 miles
Week 5 • 2/6 • 8 miles
Week 6 • 2/13 • 3 miles
Week 7 • 2/20 • 9.5 miles
Week 8 • 2/27 • 4 miles
Week 9 • 3/6 • 11 miles
Week 10 • 3/13 • 4 miles
Week 11 • 3/20 • 12.5 miles
Week 12 • 3/27 • 14 miles
Week 13 • 4/3 • 4 miles
Week 14 • 4/11 • race (13.1 miles)

Last edited:
Half Marathon Proof of Time Week 2

I know that I said I was going to run a race on 4/11, but the day of my 14 mile training run there is a race that I am 99% sure will go on, so I'll probably sign up for it and run it. It's in NH and NH has been holding races consistently since at least August, if not before. It's also much closer to where I live than the one in RI on 4/11, and I'm fairly certain that the other 4/11 race in MA will go virtual.

Without further ado:

January 12: 3.04 miles • 34:56 • 11:29 avg pace
My
weekly club run! We had some new members join us and the group was having trouble deciding on 3 or 4 miles. I was willing to run either, but one of the new members seemed hesitant, so I offered to do 3 with her. I thought I knew the 3 mile route, but I took a right instead of a left and brought us back to our starting point early, so we tacked on the last mile from there. I felt kind of cool to be sort of pacing someone? She said that usually when she runs she starts out fast and fizzles early, so running together let her take it easy and maintain the same pace the whole route.

January 14: 3.02 miles • 33:35 • 11:07 avg pace

This was an early run before work. I've always talked about how I really struggle to pace myself, especially when I'm not using intervals (and I haven't used intervals in weeks), but my splits for this run are 11:09, 11:00, and 10:57. Dare I say I'm getting there?

January 17: 3.01 miles • 33:28 • 11:07 avg pace
Saturday was super rainy, so I went on Sunday morning instead. Same route at Thursday morning, but a much less even split. 11:07, 11:30, and 10:42. This route is uphill for the first mile and a half, so my return home (it's an out and back) is almost entirely downhill. I can always feel where the hill gets steepest, because I struggle there and often slow down. I guess I spoke too soon about pacing myself.
😂

Upcoming Long Runs:
Week 3 • 1/23 • 6.5 miles
Week 4 • 1/30 • 3 miles
Week 5 • 2/6 • 8 miles
Week 6 • 2/13 • 3 miles
Week 8 • 2/27 • 4 miles
Week 9 • 3/6 • 11 miles
Week 10 • 3/13 • 4 miles
Week 13 • 4/3 • 4 miles

Last edited:
Half Marathon Proof of Time Week 3

Update on the 4/11 race that I though would go virtual... I went to the race company putting it on and it says on the Facebook Event that they're finding a backup NH location so they can still hold the race. So now I have to decide if I want to both races - the one on 3/27 (14 mile training run) or just the one on 4/11. Hopefully they announced the 4/11 course soon so I can decide which looks like a faster course.

Anyway, for my training this week, you'll notice that I skipped Thursday's run. The reason for this is that when I was ready to go out between zoom meetings, I came down with some easy afternoon nausea and needed to rest so I wouldn't vomit. Without further ado:

January 19: 4.01 miles • 43:33 • 10:52 avg pace

Another Tuesday night run with the club! One new member tonight - the daughter of someone who has been a member of the club for some time now. We did our usual four mile route and I, as usual, was at the back of the pack. Chloe dropped back to run with me for the last mile or so, and when we were approaching the restaurant and finishing up, we heard people behind us. She had noticed the rest of the group get stuck waiting for a walk sign while we had crossed the street earlier. I didn't realize that and had no idea we had gotten ahead of them. It had me VERY confused when they were suddenly behind us. Delicious dinner & drinks after, as always.

January 23: 6.53 miles • 1:15:20 • 11:41 avg pace
I ran 6.5 miles without a walk break and I am high on the feeling (not a runner's high by any means, just stoked that something I thought was impossible for me is actually very possible). Also after my run I stopped at my parents super fast and then went home to shower and proceeded to pass out for about an hour or an hour and a half. Then I woke up and basically refused to move off the couch except when I was hungry for dinner. Apparently that 6.5 miles ended me.

Upcoming Long Runs:
Week 4 • 1/30 • 3 miles
Week 5 • 2/6 • 8 miles
Week 6 • 2/13 • 3 miles
Week 8 • 2/27 • 4 miles
Week 9 • 3/6 • 11 miles
Week 10 • 3/13 • 4 miles
Week 13 • 4/3 • 4 miles

Last edited:
Hi. I’m new to the boards and working my way thru things. Thanks for sharing your journey. You’re doing awesome and seeing progress on your interval need. Some days I can get thru without needing them. Other days the intervals are a lifesaver. Keep up the awesome work!

Hi. I’m new to the boards and working my way thru things. Thanks for sharing your journey. You’re doing awesome and seeing progress on your interval need. Some days I can get thru without needing them. Other days the intervals are a lifesaver. Keep up the awesome work!
Welcome to the boards! Glad to have you! :)

Welp.. it's been almost 2 months since I updated you all. I vow to write an update by this weekend. In the meantime... I went to Disney for a day? Suprise!

Screen-Shot-2021-03-12-at-4-01-03-PM.png

ETA: Yikes the image quality is bad. Let me see if I can find a better host and reupload it. (here it is, hopefully will be able to add to this post later: https://ibb.co/4YS917F)

ETA2: Okay, hi, it has been months and I just updated this with what MIGHT be better photo quality? IDK. I owe you all a post. Coming soon.

Last edited:
Half Marathon Proof of Time Week 3

So... it's been awhile. Two whole months... Let's dive in.

First update... I never signed up for the April race. Don't really have much of a reason. Just didn't.

It looks like my last update was January 23, so let's talk February miles.

But first... let's talk mental health real quick. To be real frank, my mental health at the end of January was Not Good. With the post-holiday spike in COVID cases in my area, my social circle shrunk and I was spending days alone. Bad bad bad. The only people I saw were my parents & my club (once a week). My parents have a timeshare on the gulf in Florida, so I booked a flight to spend the two weeks with them. The plan was to work from "home" week one and vacation week two. Of course, the night before my flight it was cancelled due to an impeding storm in Boston and automatically rebooked for Wednesday and I nearly lost. my. mind. I spent some time on the phone and managed to get onto an earlier flight to a different airport. I needed a change of scenery...

While I was there..

February 2: 3.02 miles • 35:46 • 11:51 avg pace
A mile and a half out and back along the key. It was cold (and very windy) for Florida, but you bet I was out in a tank top. All the old snowbirds gave me some funny looks. Listen, it has been months, I don't remember how this run went. I do know it ended with me walking over to CVS for a toothbrush since I forgot to pack mine.

February 4: 3.01 miles • 34:50 • 11:34 avg pace

Same route as the morning before. This one was a bit warmer though because it was in the afternoon. Running is so much nicer when there are palm trees.

February 7: 8.02 miles • 1:47:00 • 13:21 avg pace
It was hot. It was sunny. It was slow. But I finished. Pro-tip: don't run 8 miles and then go to Disney World the next day.

INTERMISSION: Disney World Day Trip Recap!

My morning started bright and early at 5 am so I could drive the 2 hours north to Disney World! Stop 1 of any Disney adventure has to be Starbucks where I got a nice big Passion Tea Lemonade for the drive.

Two hours later, I parked my car and met up with my baby cousin (#thebookends) in the lot at the Ticket & Transportation Center! (My hair was SO short 2 months ago!) We went through our temp check and hopped on the monorail.

Now... let me think about what we did... Our first stop was obviously Seven Dwarves! We hopped in line and were done with the ride in 30 minutes! COVID lines rock! Next up was The Little Mermaid ride (walk on). Then over to Space Mountain (another walk on). At this point we were ready for an early lunch, so we grabbed food from Cosmic Rays. Mobile order was a TOTAL breeze! Loved using it.

From there we headed over to the other side of the park and while we went through the hub, we realized that Bucs fans were lining up, waiting to see Gronk. I don't know if you can tell... but my cousin is a HUGE Patriots fan. We hung around for a minute before I convinced her that we should keep going, so we went over to Liberty Square and saw our first cavalcade on the way! Ashley asked Tink if she had seen Gronk, but she hadn't seen him anywhere.

We continued on to Haunted Mansion (the staff at Memento Mori had no intel on Gronk) and then Jungle Cruise (my favorite ride ever) and Pirates of the Caribbean, followed by seeing our buddy Captain Jack! We asked if he had heard about all the buccaneers being in the area, but he said Pirates are better (he's not wrong).

After seeing Captain Jack, we went back to the hub because the rumor was that Gronk and maybe Brady would be out around 2:00... well, I convinced Ashley that we could do some shopping and if Gronk appeared we would definitely hear it. I bought myself my favorite Starbucks mug and a 2021 pin, then back to the hub where I convinced Ashley that they were not going to bring out Gronk because they didn't want people gathering in a pandemic (too late but, whatever). We went to the front to see the Dapper Dans and did some more shopping before leaving the hub after 2:00 and going to Peter Pan.

Peter Pan was the weirdest line, winding all the way through the Columbia Harbor House next door (upstairs, too)! It ended up breaking down and we were all instructed to leave the line. So we went over to the Carousel of Progress and then BACK over to Frontierland for Thunder Mountain.

Well... good thing we did our day the way we did. Guess who was riding Thunder Mountain while we were in line? THAT'S RIGHT! GRONK! Talk about wild. If we had sat around the hub all day I would have been annoyed because I didn't come to Disney for a single day to sit around the hub and we would have missed seeing him! A woman behind us in line saw him on the ride first, and I said, "There is no way that's him." I turned around and guess what... it was him! My cousin Ashley happened to be filming a video and so we got it all on film, her screams and all.

I could have sworn the park closed at 6, so we grabbed dinner at Pecos Bill's and it was delicious! Pro tip, order the nachos with everything on the side and create your perfectly balanced mini nachos. We shared because our last stop was Aloha Isle for Ashley's first dole whip! (We did pineapple/vanilla swirl.) When I realized that we had some time for more rides, we headed over to Peter Pan since it had just reopened and had no wait, then Winnie the Pooh.

Last up was the final and saddest ride of them all... the monorail back to our cars. (Peep the Minnie mask I changed into)

Overall, it was an AWESOME one day at Disney with my cousin. Part of me wish I had done one night at a hotel so we could do Epcot the next day (I owe her a margarita, she turned 21 in December) but she had a puppy to get home to and I had a beach to lie on. I thought that the day trip would give me my fix, but it just made me want more. My feet weren't too sore, either, after the 8 miles the day before... but you will notice that in the second week of my vacation I ran 0 times because my feet were KILLING me from the two busy days.

I did run once more in February, though.

February 23: 3.01 miles • 34:51 • 11:35 avg pace
This was my Tuesday night with the club after getting my negative test back. I ran. It was nice. I was happy.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great day and seeing Gronk was the topper. Funny, Gronk at TB I don't mind. Brady now falls into the category every non-NE fan has put him in for the last 20 years! (Accomplishments notwithstanding) I never was a fan of the whole TB12 thing anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts