"i want adventure in the great wide somewhere" - baa 10k journal! (comments welcome)

xjillianpaige

adventure is out there
Welcome to my training journal - round 2! After a significant hiatus from running and racing (significant meaning about 3 months with no races or regular training) I'm back and thought I would re-introduce myself.

:welcome:

About Me
55816605_10214466482916175_18879503707144192_n.jpg

My name is Jillian and I am 28 years old - I'll be 29 this summer and will be filming 1 second of every day leading up to my 30th birthday. I'm from the Boston area, which means Marathon Monday is one of my favorite days of the year to drink while I watch people run. I work with kids (middle and high school) which makes every day pretty interesting. I spend too much money on getting dinner and drinks with friends and I quote Parks and Recreation on the daily.

I was a runner in high school (sprints!) and then stopped running due to a combination of tendonitis and sports-induced asthma. Until I went to Disney during the 2017 Princess Weekend and was itching to join. A year later I was running it!

Since that fateful trip, I've run one 10k, three half marathons, and 2 5Ks. I am currently signed up for a 10k and will be running the fairytale challenge and the 5k during Princess weekend of 2020.

---------------------------------------------------------

Citython 5k
This is an old recap, but I ran my first 5k in a long time in November! This was a gorgeous, gorgeous day in the fall which was a nice difference from the gross, rainy October half marathon I had last dealt with. This 5k was a fundraiser for the non-profit I work at and I was with my mom, three friends from my old job, my neighbor, and two friends from high school.

I started at the back of the pack like I usually do and Jenna and I began our race up and down Comm Ave. I started the race with Jenna, but then I decided to stay with Colleen and Katie (high school friends) for a few minutes. I could feel myself speed up, so I decided to pick up speed to catch up with Jenna and continue my run with her. My colleagues Josh and Elise were behind me for a little bit, as was my friend Eric (friend Bridget, neighbor Siobhan, and mom were walking the route at the back of the pack). I felt great the entire time and finished the race in 33:47. I was SO CLOSE to maintaining an 11:00 mile and now I really want to get to a 11:00 race pace and eventually finish a 5k in 30 minutes.

I wish I could share more, but it was a long time ago and I don't really remember, to be honest. I just know I felt great and I finished strong after a terrible half marathon and it was just what I needed. A ton of fun and a great time.

Testicular Cancer Awareness 5k
This race was a fundraiser hosted by my friend Shannon's boyfriend's family and the money went to Dana Farber and to raise awareness for Testicular Cancer. This was just this past weekend, too, so the memory is fresh! I ran this with Katie and Shannon and their friend Nicole.

I ran the entire first mile without stopping. Katie's goal was to run the entire race without walking, so I decided I would push myself to do as much as I could and my first mile was complete in 10:34. The moment we passed the first mile marker and turned the corner there was a hill. Katie said she was going to try to run it, and I would have, too, but then I heard Shannon say she was pausing to walk so I decided to also walk the hill. Then I continued to run with her and a girl who joined our group named Ashley up to the water stop at around 1.5 miles when I was able to pour the water over my head (a GORGEOUS high 50s, low 60s sunny day) and they stopped to drink.

I began to pull ahead and was running as much as I could - I even ran for a short amount of time with one of the men's medal winners in the older age bracket before pulling ahead of him. I wasn't quite on it for ratios here, but I was doing a run/walk where I ran until I couldn't. My second mile was complete in 11:38. My last mile was the slowest at 12:00 since I was doing more ratios. All in all my race was complete in around 36-37 minutes. I don't know my exact time because this wasn't a tracked race, though they did have clocks out. I just wasn't paying close attention because this was just a weekend training run for me. According to my RunKeeper (which I forgot to turn off after crossing the line) I ran 3.13 miles in 36:09 with an average pace of 11:32.

After finishing with Shannon (Katie ran nearly the whole thing and finished shortly before us) we went over for a BBQ and then headed home for the Game of Thrones premiere!

Last edited:

xjillianpaige

adventure is out there
Boston Athletic Association 10k Training Journal
This is kind of a weird start to an update on my training because I'm a few weeks in... so I need to start in the fall after the half marathon... after that I didn't run again until my 5k for work, and then again until January... so let's start with my random runs in the winter...

I didn't fall, I just searched "winter running" on giphy and found this and it was really funny.

January 5: 4.04 miles 53:18
January 13: 4.5 miles in 58:10

Wow... two... that sounds about right. But they were both above 4 miles! I don't remember the details of these runs, except that one was through a trail in sort of rainy weather and the other might have been along the bike path.

Then I signed up for the BAA 10k on June 23 and it was time to start properly training.

I decided to try to follow the 10k plan from runDisney, which is 30 minute weekday runs with a slow build to 6 miles for the race. I sort of follow it, but mostly I'm finding that I'm doing my own thing which is 3 mile weekday runs and longer runs on the weekends.

Me during this cycle of training

Week 1
March 19: 3.03 miles • 37:50 • 12:29 avg pace
March 21: 3 miles • 37:01 • 12:20 avg pace
March 24: 4.75 miles • 1:01:14 • 12:53 avg pace

I have no memory of these runs, but they must have been fine? I believe I was still using my old shoes here. I was starting to have some pain when I rans, so I figured it was time for new shoes.

Week 2
March 26: 3 miles • 37:18 • 12:25 avg pace
March 28: Treadmill run for 36:01 (I don't know the distance - I was away at a conference)
March 31: 6.2 miles • 1:18:02 • 12:35 avg pace

Still my old shoes. Hadn't gotten new ones yet. I tried to run 30 minutes straight on the treadmill but couldn't which made me feel sad because I used to be able to do that.

Week 3
April 2: 3:01 miles • 40:36 • 13:30 avg pace
April 4: 3:01 miles • 38:34 • 12:48 avg pace
April 7: 3.39 miles • 45:10 • 13:20 avg pace

I actually bought new shoes this week after a painful 3 mile run on April 2. I was noticing after this that when I ran in my new shoes, I had some pain initially but then after a mile and a half or so it subsided. I thought it would get better down the line (the more runs I went on) but so far no go.

Week 4
April 12: 3.03 miles • 38:58 • 12:51 avg pace
April 14: 3.13 miles • 36:09 • 11:32 avg pace (this was a 5k race that you can read about here)

I ran a whole mile straight in 10:36 or so which is amazing. My feet were sore the first mile but got better (I just got more tired and did some walking).

Week 5
April 18: 2.26 miles • 25:57 • 11:29 avg pace (this is according to Jenna's run keeper, I was VERY slow here and came in behind her)
April 21: 3 miles • 39:06 • 13:01 avg pace

I did not want to go for the run on Tuesday. At all. I was so slow. And my feet were killing me. The easter run was okay. Jenna ended up running that evening and doing a 10k in under 1:10 (our goal for 6/23 is 1:05) and I am jealous! But I got to spend time with my niece who was SO snuggly and chatty - too bad she speaks toddler and I have no idea what she's saying.

Week 6
April 23: 3.02 miles • 38:54 • 12:52 avg pace
April 25: 3.01 miles • 37:51 • 12:34 avg pace
Tomorrow: TBD

I switched to running right from the start instead of starting with a 3 minute walk, so these paces are more on par with what I can do.

I think tomorrow I'll do 4-5 miles (aiming for 5) with Jenna before brunch with my girlfriends from high school.

• JulieODC

DIS Veteran
    Great plan! I’ve got the B.A.A. 10k on my list to do someday....did the 5k in April and it was fun!

xjillianpaige

adventure is out there
    Last time on... Survivor! Surviving running, that is...

I left you all hanging with a "will she or won't she" around my 5 mile run on April 28. And... I'm going to leave you hanging one more time!

Before I dive into the runs I've gone on since April 25, I want to remind myself of the great idea I had for this training journal. I want to post a song that is great for a running playlist every time I update. Now... we can all likely agree that I have not exactly been active on this journal lately, but it's time to get my butt in gear!

No more of this:

Or this:

And definitely not this:

It's time to channel my inner Chris Traeger:

I am going to make every effort to post weekly after the June 23 10k! The reason for that is because I will officially be in training mode for the Princess Half Marathon weekend where my goal is to run the challenge (10k and Half) and 5k for a total of 4 medals and 1 unforgettable weekend. I will be going with my parents, who will run the 5k and 10k; my friends Eric, Bridget, and Jenna who will be running the 5k and 10k with me and Jenna will be doing the Half with me; and my Disney travel buddy Devin who is also running the half with her friend Julie.

Once the training journal switches to Princess Half Marathon training, I'll do my weekly songs!

Now! On with the show!

Week 6
    April 28: 5 miles • 57:00 • 11:23 avg pace

All right all right all right! Jenna and I did two laps of the pond in our hometown and I think I felt really good. I don't really remember too much.

Week 7
    May 5: 5 miles • 1:02:31 • 12:30 avg pace

I did a bad job. Only ran once on the weekend. Bright side is my shoes don't bother me anymore! I think I just needed to break them in.

Week 8
    I thought I had gone for a run this weekend (Mother's Day weekend) but apparently not? It was also my mom's birthday weekend so I guess I got caught up in the whirlwind that was family events.

Week 9
    May 19: • 3.09 miles • 35:12: 11:24 avg pace

We got rained out here. We were supposed to run 6 miles but it started pouring at just about 2.5 miles and didn't look like it was going to let up. We did not have any rain gear and would probably have had phones and headphones short out on us, so we called it at 3 when we got back to the car.

Week 10
    May 21: 3.01 miles • 36:30 • 12:09 avg pace
    May 24: 3 miles • 35:45 • 11:55 avg pace
    May 27: 6.2 miles • 1:16:10 • 12:17 avg pace

Back on the wagon! Looking good! Three runs in one week! I am Chris Traeger, after all. In all honesty, the 6.2 mile run was hot and I got a great tan, but I was not motivated. I wanted to quit. I wanted to eat donuts. I wanted to jump in the lake. I wanted lemonade and slush. I did not want to run. But I did. And that's not bad for a training run. I'm really hopeful I can keep momentum up this weekend.

Full disclosure, I didn't go for a run this week (Week 11). As you may know, I run a summer camp so this is my busiest time of year. I've been pulling a lot of early mornings and late nights at work and the stress remains high. And I'm not someone who feels less stressed after going for a run. Too much time alone with my thoughts causes the stress to get worse and all I can think about is the time I'm losing that I could be working. So I worked instead of ran. I am hoping that next week is better. I do plan on going for a run tomorrow.. so let's try to set me up for success...

Week 11
    June 1: TBD

Week 12
    TBD
    TBD
    TBD

• xjillianpaige

adventure is out there
    The way I left it last week, I hadn't run at all and was planning on a run the following day (6/2). Let's see how that went...

Week 11
    June 2: 6.11 miles • 1:12:53 • approx 12:00 avg pace

Let's talk about this really quick. This pace/time frame is Jenna's. I did the distance. I did not do the time. I was DYING here. Jenna's been much more consistent in training, especially in her weekday maintenance runs + some cross training. Being a bride will motivate you (standing next to the bride provides less motivation, turns out). Point being, I finished a few minutes after her because I more or less walked the last mile.

Science side of the internet: what's the science behind the maintenance runs? Why do they make weekend runs easier? Do they do that? I think they do. They must.

Anyway, this was a wakeup call for me. I wanted to do better. So I had a plan going into this past week: actually run during the week. I made it happen once. Let's see the results...

Week 12
    June 4: 3 miles • 34:35 • 11:31 avg pace

June 8: 6.2 miles • 1:14:35 • 12:02 avg pace

First off, the June 4 run seems very fast. Jenna and I did finish together, but she would pause it and wait for me every so often and I was behind her, so I'm going out on a limb here and saying that I was about 30 seconds behind her?

With that said, on our long run on Saturday I decided to track myself instead of being tagged by Jenna in the workout so I had a better idea of what was going on with me. I also decided to run my own pace and see how I did instead of trying to keep pace with Jenna. Turns out I am in much better shape than I thought I was. I was behind Jenna, sure, but I felt strong the entire time instead of trying to keep up early on and then crashing halfway through. I'm guessing the maintenance run also helped a little bit. I feel good about the race coming up, especially if on a training run I'm doing 1:14:35. Maybe I can meet my goal on 6/23!

xjillianpaige

adventure is out there
    Hi. Yes. Hello. Hi. Not dead. Just in my busy summer season with running a summer camp at all. And y'know... not running much. Except for this week when I ran a bunch. Until today. When the kidney stones won and I loss. Anyway... I owe you some information.

Week Who Even Knows through Week Who Even Knows
    June 11: 3 miles • 36:40 • 12:13 avg pace

This quite literally might have been my only run between my last training run on June 8 and my race on June 23. I checked run keeper and I don't have any runs, and the ones Jenna has don't include me (that I can remember...) so let's agree that from June 8 to June 23 I ran exactly one training run before running a 6.2 mile race.

Anyway, I was going to do this whole update on all my running and then do a race recap, but I didn't train much, so I might as well just jump into the race recap. Ready? OK!

Boston Athletic Association 10k Race Recap
    This was my first hometown race with the Boston Athletic Association. I've been going down to watch the Marathon nearly every year since my college years in 2008 (I took a break after the bombing) and so Jenna and I figured it was the perfect race to do for a 2019 kick off.

The race started in the Boston Common, bordered the public garden and then went up Comm Ave, over to Bay State Road for a hot minute, then back into Kenmore and up Comm Ave again, turning around just past Agganis Arena and back down Comm Ave and to the Common. Now, leading up to the race, I had done a 5k just around the same spot in November, so I thought I had a good sense of where it went. I assumed that we would go a mile and a half further than in the 5k to get it to a 10k, but I guess I have just zero sense of how far a mile is.

I should have known, too. I mean, I went to school at BU, so I walked the distance every day. I think from my dorm (right by Agganis Arena) to my classes (Kenmore Square) is 1.8 miles. So I should have been prepared but I just wasn't. What did give me a leg up is that, when I realize the route took us really far up, I knew the landscape. We were told it was a flat course, but I promise you, there's a nice, big, long hill and it's called all of Comm Ave.

Anyway, let's jump into the actual race... Apologies in advance, I have 0 photos on here.

Bib Pick Up

There was no pick up! They mailed it all to your house prior to race day. MVPs! MVPs! MVPs!

Pre-Race

Jenna and I got there pretty early and secured a decent parking spot not far from the race start. We were going to park at her Dad's store, but we didn't need to and I think ended up being closer to the start than we would have if we went to her Dad's. Parking on a Sunday morning in Boston is a breeze - if you're early enough. And there are no meters on Sunday so it's free all day!

Once we walked over, we got ourselves situated and dropped our bag off in the bag drop area. They check your tag when you go in and again when you leave to ensure that you have the correct belongings. It's basically just a giant maze of bags. There were some tents, but not much to really do. We just dropped our things off and then waited until we were called to the corral. We found our way to slow pace area and settled in to wait. Once the elite runners were off (party in the back!) we were moving pretty quickly.

Race Time

Prior to the race, Jenna and I had discussed that we would run our own races and if we separated, we would just meet up after. So I started my run keeper and we were off! And then my run keeper had a seizure or stroke or something and stopped working so I had to totally turn my phone off and back on to get it to work, so it got a little funky for a minute when I didn't have any intervals telling me what to do.

Mile 1: Mile one is from Boston Common, past the public garden, to Back Bay along Comm Ave. I allegedly did this in 10:54, but please remember that my phone was on the fritz.
    Mile 2: This brings us into Kenmore Square and onto Bay State Road. This was mostly shade and I wish it were like that the entire time. Run keeper says it was an 11:13 mile.
    Mile 3: Here we turned back onto Comm Ave and my gosh, it was a million degrees. We were running right uphill in the sun and I wanted to hurl. Someone was walking next to me and I told her that we were almost to the top of the hill, but I forgot to tell her that there was another one after it. Whoops. This was a big slowdown to 11:53.
    Mile 4: I had turned around on Comm Ave and was heading back (it's basically a big out and back route). This was fun because now the sun was directly in my face instead of to my back. I was dripping sweat. Also time to say goodbye to under-12 minute miles, here I hit 12:25.
    Mile 5: This part of the route is the downhill/relatively flat bit back to the Common. I Sped up a little bit, but to be fair it was downhill a bit and I hit 12:16.
    Mile 6: My slowest at the end here, 12:30. Just trucking along to the finish. A small hill as we go underneath Mass Ave.
    .02: Runkeeper has this at .04, but I think it's because I forgot to stop it, either way it was a quick one at 11:28. I was sure glad to be done.

Post Race

For the post race, I first got my medal (no fairy dust) then went through and got all my food (a bagel, from what I can remember, and maybe a banana? Definitely a gatorade). Jenna and I found each other as I gave her a ring and we got out (but first, selfies).

We walked back to the car and cheered on runners as we walked along the route. Luckily, we were able to get out of Boston pretty easily because roads were reopening already.

I would 100% do this race again. In a heartbeat. And be better prepared. I know about the route now, so I would definitely have sunglasses or a hat ready to go. The water stops were perfect, so I was well-hydrated.

And my final time... Drum roll, please... was 1:15:53.

Run keeper has me at 1:15:47 with an average pace of 11:50. Not bad for feeling pretty unprepared. I feel like the discrepancy is due to my app freaking out. I know I can do better and I hope I do... in two weeks when I run a 10k again! Better prepared - maybe? If not, I'll sign up for an October one, too.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates