I thought the minimum age requirement was 18

Asheryl

Earning My Ears
Hi all

Isn't the minimum age requirement 18 for having your own cabin? I was going to reserve a cabin for my 18 year old daughter and her 18 year old friend, but my Dreams agent said there must be someone 21 or older in the cabin. Is there a new Disney policy concering the minimum age requirement?
Thanks
Sheryl

My DD19 is sharing a cabin with her two college roomates who are 18 and 19. Not sure of the policy if they are all 18.

Are you travelling with them?...maybe you can just put your name on their ressie and one of the their names on your ressie and just switch cabins once onboard.

I have done that before.

MJ

The minimum age at which to reserve a stateroom on DCL is age 21. It has been this since inception. Age 18 is the age, however, where they may join in at the clubs, adult pool area, etc.

Many people, including myself, will reserve two cabins with one adult in each, and one minor. DCL will not worry about where the 4 people actually sleep in those rooms, however. Hope this helps clear up the question for you. :)

As I said...my DD and her two friends have their own cabin with their own names on the reservation 19, 19, 18...is DCL allowing this because I am also going to be on the ship? My husband and I have our own cabin with our own ressie number.

I specifically asked if they would be able to share a cabin and DCL told me yes.

MJ

Mmouse, since you have two adults, DCL may in fact have put one of your names on that other ressie. My DD's are 19 and 17 and I just spoke to the cruise line about this recently when reserving two staterooms. They must have one person 21 or older listed in each room. You may want to check it out if you are concerned though.

I'm reading this from the Terms & Conditions page:
Minors
Minors under the age of 18 not traveling with a parent or legal guardian must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 21 in the same stateroom and must have the Cruise Contracts signed by a parent or legal guardian. The signed Cruise Contract must be receved upon Walt Disney World Resort check-in or prior to embarkment.
After 9PM Beat Street and Route 66 are restricted to Guests 18 years or older.
I guess since your daughter and friends are over 18 they don't need parental permission on the cruise contract.

I just confirmed via telephone with DCL that the age to reserve a stateroom is still 21.

Here is what vacationstogo.com says:

The lowest minimum age requirement for any cruise line is 18. The following cruise lines require that at least one person in each cabin is 18 or older: Cruise West, Cunard, Disney Cruise Line, Orient Lines, Princess Cruises, Radisson Seven Seas and Uniworld.

The following cruise lines require that at least one person in each cabin is 21 or older: Costa (25 for March and April sailings), Crystal Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Regal Cruises, Royal Olympia Cruises, Seabourn Cruise Line and Windstar Cruises.

The following cruise lines require that either 1) All passengers in a cabin must be 21 or older, or 2) If anyone in the cabin is less than 21 years old, someone in the cabin must be 25 or older: Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Holland America.

One cruise line, Celebrity Cruises, always requires that someone in every cabin must be at least 25 years old. Costa has this requirement for their March and April sailings only.

One exception to these age requirements is made for underage married couples, who as long as they are both 18 are allowed to board unaccompanied. These couples may be asked to show proof of their marriage.

I thought that too, but I am positive that they are booked with their own names in their own stateroom. When I did inquire the CM told me it would be fine as long as they were all over 18. If one of them was 17 then an adult would have to be booked in the cabin.

Who knows why Disney does what it does. But I am positive about them having their own room because the paper reservation and the online ressie both have them listed in their own cabin. Whenever I call up to make any changes, they read off who is in that stateroom. If at some point DCL does put one of us in that stateroom if they realize what happened and vice versa..not a problem...we have dealt with that before!!!

MJ

Hi all

We will be traveling with the two 18 year olds. They just want to have their own cabin. They earned the money to go so we are more than happy to let that happen. Our last cruise we booked three cabins. Husband and 2 kids in one, me and 2 kids in the second. The third cabin was in the name of my 18 year old . There was two 18 year olds in that cabin.
I called Disney today and told them them the situation and they said it was ok to put the two 18 year olds in a cabin by themselves. I think I am confused.
Thanks
Sheryl

If there is a minor in the room, there MUST be a 21 year old, 18 is not old enough.

If there are 2 or more 18 year olds that is fine.

Personal guarantee that this is the right answer. :)
Cathy

Originally posted by WebmasterCathyCanada
If there is a minor in the room, there MUST be a 21 year old, 18 is not old enough.

If there are 2 or more 18 year olds that is fine.

Personal guarantee that this is the right answer. :)
Cathy

So even if 2 -18 year olds are married and have say 2 kids they can't cruise unless a 21 year old is there with them?? Boy my birthmom would have not been able to cruise then since she was married with 2 kids before she was 18!

When we went last year, three 18 years old guys (my son's friends) stayed in a cabin together. There was no person's name listed on the reservation that was over 21; it was just the three 18 year olds listed on the reservation.

aprilgail - the rules say that if they're married then it's ok. They have to show a marriage certificate.

I was able to make a reservation for my nephew and his girlfriend. He is 18, and she is 19. The only concern that the CM had while making the reservation was how old was his GF. Had she been 17, they would not have been able to make the reservation. But because she was 19, and he was 20, it was fine. BTW, they got the reservation without any other adult in the family going.

So it sounds like some CM's are giving out wrong information about havimg to be 21, or some people are misunderstanding that you have to be 21 IF you have a minor in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter