I thought someone might have this recipe

chessie

DIS Veteran
I was at a holiday party last night. We were asked to bring a snack item to share with the group. Someone made something that I will describe to you and hope someone has the exact recipe. It was a large gathering so finding the person that made this would not have been easy.

My friends and I analyzed it and here is what we came up with. A layer of butter and sugar, a layer of saltine crackers, a layer of chocolate morsels and sprinkled with silvered almonds. It was broken in pieces and tasted like a bark or a toffee.

It was delicious.

chessie

I have it. Hooray!!! I don't know what it's called, but I call it Heath Bar.

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
Saltines
12 oz. chocolate chips

Line 9 x 13 pan with foil and lightly grease. Lay saltines in pan.
Boil hard butter and sugar for 2 1/2 minutes.

Heat oven to 350.
Pour butter and sugar over saltines and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and spread chocolate chips on top until chips are melted.

Thanks Harley Chick. I knew I could count on my board friends. I was sure it was easy but tasted so decadent that I wanted to add it to my holiday recipe file.

Chessie

Here's my recipe- one word of warning- do not substitute margarine for the butter. It doesn't harden properly.

56 saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
12 oz. semi-sweet morsels
1 cup pecans, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place heavy duty aluminum foil on cookie sheet. Fold up all the sides of the foil making corners tight. I actually use a jelly roll pan. Spray with vegetable spray. (Pam or Mazola No-stick).
Place crackers on foil making sure edges touch. Break last row of crackers for a tight fit.

Melt butter and sugar in a suace pan stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in baking soda thoroughly. Pour quickly over crackers and spread evenly.
Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Replace any crackers that popped out of place. Pour on the chocolate. Let melt. Spread smooth. Sprinkle on nuts. Press in slightly. Cool slightly-about 15 to 20 minutes. Cut with pizza cutter. Cut small. Easy and delicious!

honey grahams - its the combination of the salt with the sweet that keeps the dish from being overwhelmingly sweet.

I see. That's what it is to have been born into a family like mine who thinks there is no such thing as "too sweet". Thanks for the insight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter