I think my problems are all transportation related?

la79al

DIS Veteran
The original long ago plan was for us to fly to FL, spend some time with the inlaws (they live 1.5 hours from DW), do some DW, spend some more time with the inlaws and fly home. I booked our room back in June. I didn't book airfare right when it was released and by the time I finally decided to get serious about booking it, there was nothing good for the points we had (got the Chase SW card specifically for points to fly to FL). I accepted the fact that we were going to be driving. We do it twice a year, not really a huge deal for any of us at this point. But then DH said "If we are going big, let's just do it" so I booked airfare yesterday and didn't get great times. Instead of arriving Saturday morning at the inlaws house, we are arriving Saturday evening at MCO. The plan was to go grocery shopping on Saturday, spend the night at the inlaws and then head to DW early Sunday morning. I thought DH was going to just get a rental car and hang out with his parents for most of the week. Now he thinks he will just hit parks with us.
Cheapest I am finding a car from Saturday evening to Sunday morning is about $100. It will enable us to go grocery shopping but then have to deal with returning a car in the morning. Plus add on the fact that we will have to rent a car at the end of the trip and a car is going to get expensive. Cheapest I am finding a Disney resort for that 1 night is a little over $200. Inlaws can't come pick us up as there are 5 of us and they only have a car. I am stalking SW obsessively hoping for a better flight to come along. Is there an option I am missing out on? I figure that if we get a hotel room somewhere else for that 1 night, pay for uber or something from the airport to the hotel, pay for uber to the grocery store, pay for uber to the parks the next morning, we may as well rent the car and head to the inlaws. I am going to blame this all on DH and his constantly changing what I have to work with but in the end, I think I may regret flying...

To be honest, I read all that text about 3 times and still can’t wrap my head around your plans. I’m sure some others might be having the same issue, leading to a lack of replies.

If you break out by day what you’re planning to do – specific locations only, omitting noncritical info – it might be a little clearer what your best options are.

Are you visiting the in laws at all?

Do you truly need groceries so soon? You’re on SW, pack a checked bbag with snacks and buy any liquids at Disney. Sure it’s more expensive but you used miles for the flight, and you’ll save on the food snacks you packed.

When is the trip?

I think there are all kinds of options. My gut reaction would be to get a hotel near the airport that has a free shuttle service. Fly in, get luggage, take shuttle to the hotel. Use Uber/Lyft to go to a nearby grocery store. The next morning, if you can find some boxes to put your groceries in, shuttle back to MCO and take DME to your Disney resort.

Or: use Garden Grocer (I think that's the correct name) or another grocery delivery service (is it Wal*Mart that delivers groceries for free now) to deliver to your resort the next day.

I used to always hit the grocery store as soon as I'd dropped the family off at the resort. Several years ago, I started ordering from Garden Grocer. Game changer! This was before all these delivery options popped up, like Instacart. Like ironz said, use some type of grocery delivery. Anything I forgot, the gift shop at the resort always has a decent variety of groceries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!