"I Think I Might Be a Disneyland Person!" - Feb. 2016 ~ Updated 2/19/21: TR Complete!!!

Fun morning in Toontown! Izzy does look so small in these pictures. Hard to believe she's riding the big coasters now!

If only all weekends were 4-day weekends I might actually get this done! :scratchin
For some reason this reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from The Jetsons - as in the future they apparently have better work/life balance but in once scene George is lamenting his "hard work schedule" as he states "these 3 day work weeks are killing me!!!"

Glad to see you seemed to be doing ok in the morning despite the drama of the night before/had energy etc. ... well, if a weird egg patty thing won't get you going, I don't know what will?!?!?! - well, maybe a thermos full of coffee ;)

Seems like you got a lot done in Toontown despite getting there a bit later than you wanted. There really is a lot to see/a lot of details. I never noticed in Mickey's house that there are some pictures with Walt in them (guess I wasn't sure how Toontown and the real world connected - or maybe Walt was just allowed to visit Toontown .... or maybe I am overthinking this whole thing ;)

We never got to Minnie's house as the wait was never less than 60 mins for her and we just could justify it - but her house looks cute too!

that's cool how Pluto came up to you and glad Dug got this photo of you two with him:
i-XRMJLCJ-L.jpg

... always love a good photo of one parent taking a picture of the other parent taking a picture of them :rotfl:

haha, love this picture!!!! :rotfl2:

Overall seems pretty productive ... though your tease at the end is a bit worrisome!

Hi, guys! :wave2: I'm sorry I've been such a terrible trip reporter lately! No time, no energy
I can relate...

By the way, that was my creation out of what they had available – they did not actually have breakfast sandwiches, but that combo made it more palatable to me. :idea:
I like the creativity! As long as it is food in the stomach.

This same kid, now at 5, LOVED Space Mountain and Everest and Flight of Passage at WDW! :love:
Awesome!!!

Looking back at the pics and video from this report, I can’t believe how LITTLE she is – it was only last year, but she’s so much more a “big kid” now. :faint:
::yes:: It happens fast!

You can totally tell it’s the same spot, right? ::yes:: :rotfl2:
Um... yeah... sure. :rolleyes1 It's your TR, whatever you say.

Here you can see the intense concentration I was using to keep her from dropping the whole thing on the ground :rotfl2::
Keeping a kid from dropping food on the ground is no small feat to be taken lightly. It's like the first thing they do is actively try to throw it down or something.

I feel like there should be a Pirates-like drop when you go into the mouth. :scratchin
::yes:: I like the way you think!

I absolutely LOVE Toontown in DL! So much better than Toontown Fair was at MK. We love exploring all of the houses and stuff with the kids. Goofy's Playhouse has been a hit with the kids every trip so far. And nice that even though it opened earlier than you thought, you still managed to meet both Mickey & Minnie with short waits.

Hi! I’ve been away from the Dis for a while because things are pretty hectic around here, but was glad to see an update on your report.

Toon Town looks like a lot of fun. Izzy looks like she was having a great time!

I can’t believe there wasn’t a line for Eeyore. Glad you got a chance to meet him!

Awkwardly Visiting Trader Sam’s

Our monorail soon arrived and we realized quickly how different Disneyland was from WDW. :eek: Instead of strolling right onto the monorail, we had to take all our bags off the stroller, make sure the kid was out too, fold the stroller, then cram us and our stuff into the crowded seats. :crowded: We did it, but felt like clumsy fools wrangling all our stuff onto there. But we put on some smiles anyway:

And there’s all our stuff crammed in by our feet:

We made it over to Downtown Disney around 1:30pm:

The Disneyland Hotel is way back there by the hat. It really surprises me that they don’t connect the monorail to the resorts like at WDW. We headed that way:

Our plan was to have a nice afternoon break at Trader Sam’s to check the place out. It was Superbowl Sunday, but we figured it was early enough in the day to not be a major issue. But I suspect this was way more crowded than an ordinary day. Every single table both inside AND outside of Trader Sam’s was occupied. :sad2: We wandered and wandered and stalked and stalked to no avail. We finally just got in line at the bar because it was the only way to even get any service, as they were busy and there was nobody greeting guests at all. A picture of the view inside while we waited:

We were able to order drinks and some food in to-go containers so that we could bring it all over to the seating area for Tangaroa Terrace next door. I believe this was Dug’s Mosquito Mojito (Strawberry Rum, Organic Agave Nectar, Falernum, Mint and fresh Lime Juice topped with Soda Water):

And my Piranha Pool (Strawberry Vodka blended with Pineapple Juice, Cream of Coconut, Strawberry Purée and Blue Curaçao):

As we were waiting for our food, 3 chairs at the low (table height) end of the counter opened up, so we tried to grab them. However, the bartender wouldn’t let us, since we had Izzy with us and kids could only be seated at the tables, not even on chairs at the table-height end of the bar area. So, I took Izzy and my drink and we headed over to Tangaroa Terrace while Dug waited for our food. We grabbed Izzy a Kids Power Pack meal at Tangaroa Terrace and then found a nice shady table just outside to enjoy it at:

All those empty tables were Tangaroa Terrace tables, not Trader Sam’s, by the way.

Izzy enjoyed her food and I enjoyed my drink. Then I got a text from Dug that he had managed to snag a table outside of Trader Sam’s. By that point, I had our stuff all spread out and a nice shady table, so I didn’t see the point. I think the only real advantage, since we already had all our stuff and didn’t need a waiter to take our order, was that they would bring us waters over there. Dug insisted, so I relented and packed up all of our stuff and went over there to set up again. They somehow took away Dug’s partially consumed Mosquito Mojito on accident, so they brought him another:

The food was all really tasty. Dug and I shared a pineapple burger (Angus 1/3 lb Hawaiian Cheeseburger - Ground Angus Burger with Teriyaki Sauce, fresh Caramelized Pineapple, Havarti Cheese, Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato on a Brioche Bun served with a choice of one of these sides: Sweet Potato Fries, Classic French Fries, Island Fruit) and a pulled pork sandwich (Slow-roasted Kālua-style Pork Sandwich Barbecue Sauce and Shredded Cabbage on a Brioche Bun served with a choice of one of these sides: Sweet Potato Fries, Classic French Fries, Island Fruit):

We all shared the Panko-crusted Chinese Long Beans
served with Sriracha Aïoli:

And Izzy continued to enjoy her Power Pack:

At some point during our time there, we each got up to use the restrooms inside and also get a look around. I didn’t really see much in the way of fun atmosphere stuff when I went in with Izzy – it was more weaving through the crowds to get in and out. We definitely didn’t pick the best day for this outing.

Back outside again, there were two couples at the table next to us that were clearly having a really fun time. They also thought Izzy was super cute and were waving at her, etc. :wave2: They are behind her here:

That guy back there was saying that he wanted to bring back the phrase “so fetch” and they were all cracking up. He said it to Izzy and I told him that was exactly what he needed to do – tell it to all the 3-year-olds because they will repeat it endlessly. ::yes::

Once we wrapped up our leisurely lunch, Dug wanted to run into the restroom again, so Izzy and I waited outside the door to Trader Sam's. I immediately noticed a Cast Member now stationed near the door that was fulfilling exactly the role needed when we arrived - directing people to where they needed to be and making them feel helped and not ignored. She was great. :thumbsup2 If only she’d been out there when we’d arrived, the whole experience would have been really different. Because no one was there to help us at all, we felt super awkward and uncomfortable wandering around a bar with a toddler and trying to figure out how to even get service. It all worked out okay, but not the experience we’d been anticipating. However, in a spoiler of one of our WDW trips since then, we did make it to Trader Sam’s at the Polynesian and had a much better experience there, more like we’d anticipated for this one. :thumbsup2

I guess Izzy hugged this guy goodbye:

And here’s that hostess I mentioned above:

Anyway, Dug wanted to take a little rest break after those couple of cocktails, so we headed over to some lounge chairs outside the Disneyland Hotel. While he relaxed, Izzy and I wandered around:

Goofy’s Kitchen was closed during our visit, so maybe next time! :rolleyes1

As we were wandering around, a lady walked by and did a double-take and came back to compliment Izzy’s Star Wars dress. She got a lot of compliments on it that day – thanks, Lauren! (@Imagineer5)

After exploring outside, Izzy and I headed into the gift shop in the hotel, as I remembered that I wanted to find a souvenir ornament for us and also a snow globe for Dug’s sister. This little shop had both:

They had me bring them over to the bigger gift shop next door to get them wrapped up (and of course wait in another line). Izzy wanted everything she saw, just to make the wait a little more challenging. :headache: We managed to get out without any bonus purchases, though. Of course, as soon as we were out, I realized we needed some cold drinks, so had to go in and grab a big bottle of water and a Diet Coke.

And then it was time to head back into Disneyland! I had no interest in taking all our stuff off the stroller and cramming into the monorail again, so I chose to walk back with the stroller while Dug and Izzy took the monorail – I love a good fast-paced walk anyway, so this was a good opportunity to do that without anyone slowing me down (and some bonus solo time to just look around was great). The walk:

Made it:

And there’s the monorail (they didn’t ride in front, though):

And the view from their ride:

I got to the monorail exit first and waited for them to come down. When they did, we both noticed that the Nemo Subs had a relatively short wait (20 minutes – it can get long there), so we figured this was a good chance to knock that off our list without burning valuable rope drop time. It was about 4:40pm by now, by the way.

Up next: Going (20,000 leagues) under the sea…with Nemo! :fish:

Okay, I am insanely behind on responding to comments, but I'll try to do at least a brief round-up of what I've missed!

Wow! Amazing solo night!! We've never done solo nights before. Maybe with this super close hotel at Disneyland we should try it out!

And omg about the tantrum! What a rotten way to end a night! Children! :crazy2::sad2:
Did you end up trying any solo time? I hope you didn't have any massive tantrums to deal with!

The one family photo almost looks like Mater is photobombing you guys. Love it.

That's a very strange way to get to Indiana Jones, but maybe they hadn't planned on single rider when they initially built the ride? I know you mentioned you loved it, is it better than Dinosaur? I'm not a fan of Dinosaur but am wondering if I'd like Indiana more.

That sounds like an amazing solo night! Oh my gosh, just incredible! A log flume completely to yourself on Splash AND THEN a whole boat on Pirates. I think that's my favorite part. You were, literally, the last guest on the attraction. Had the whole ride completely to yourself.
That's like a Disney goal for everyone!

But what a bummer that Izzy had a rough night. I know that can be really stressful, and it's especially worse when it's the middle of the night and you just want to sleep. I hope she woke up well rested the next morning!
I liked Indy much more than Dinosaur. Even though I can see how the actual ride mechanism is basically the same, the surroundings make it feel entirely different - I'd say Indy is much more open vs. Dinosaur feeling a bit claustrophobic.

Solo night was amazing - being the only one on those boat rides was a super cool experience for me!

She did surprisingly well the next morning, considering what a mess she was late that night!

Oh man. That night sounds bad. I definitely don't miss those days. I am glad it was fantastic before that at least.
What goes up must come down, haha.

You had the nerve to bring a kid.

That's great! I loved the Cars meets. That's awesome that you were able to see both Lightning and Mater.

::yes:: It's so fantastic!

Hmmm... right next to the Matterhorn would be a great place to open up a pillow pet gift shop. Why haven't they done that yet?

Awesome!!!

That is a picture to frame!

Your own boat for Pirates too??? Awesome! Great way to end the night!

Uh oh...

That's great! I'm glad that the solo fun outweighed the meltdown.
Yes, they really need pillow pets maybe even being sold in line for the Matterhorn? They could be Yeti ones, if they want to keep the theming up.

The night was so fun, the memorable solo time outweighed the tantrum-filled night that came after.

I love this so much! I am a terrible singer as well, so I applaud your decision to seize the opportunity and sing your heart out here. What an awesome experience you had!
I'd never dream of singing along with others in the boat, so this was perfect! (Though I did wonder if the CMs were listening and laughing at me - but at least it wasn't to my face, I guess!)

What a night!! That looks amazing. Glad you had so much fun and got so much done in a short time. That is really strange about the single rider line for Indy, though. And I agree with you, the Matterhorn is so rough!

Cars Land looks so cool all lit up at night!

Sorry you had to deal with an angry toddler when you returned!
Indy's single rider line really makes you feel like you are doing something wrong and breaking some rules. And, ugh, Matterhorn! LOVE Cars Land at night - one of my very favorite Disney things! Never a fun time with an overtired and angry toddler!

Bahaha awesome!

Naturally!

Wait, what?!!

Sounds delish! Worth a splurge once or twice.

I love this outfit on Mickey!

No way! How cool!
The hot chocolate was a nice treat to try once, but I don't see myself doing that one again...unless maybe if we ate at Napa Rose someday?

That night was so amazing!

Being the last on a ride is such a cool and unique feeling! A few weeks ago my dad and I were on the last Kilimanjaro Safari for the evening. It was so cool to walk around a completely empty Africa (of course as we exited, we eventually merged with the Pandora crowd, but that's another story).
That's awesome about being on the last safari! There is definitely something special about walking out into an empty park/area - makes it feel like it's there just for you!

What an awesome way to spend some solo time in DL!! I have totally done the very strange single rider queue at Indiana Jones and felt like I was going the wrong way the entire time lol Very nice getting yourself on Pirates that close to closing and having a boat to yourself!

Ugh, sorry it dissolved once you got into the room with a melting down child. That is never fun but especially not in the wee hours of the morning!!
Such a fun night, but not a desirable ending at all!

Great review. Such precious memories with your little one. I love how you returned to DL at 10:30pm after walking DH and DAD back to the hotel. Wow...that is such an amazing picture on Splash! How cool you were the only one. Near too with Pirates. We managed to get our own boat first thing in the morning (but family of 4...nor solo). You miss getting the warning that the drop us coming when there is an empty boat in front of you...lol.
Loving your review.
Thank you! That solo time and being the only one on those rides was pretty amazing. There's something special about knowing the boat is going just for you to enjoy everything.

"Some Dumbo ride":rotfl2::rotfl:

That's pretty neat that you found that journal, it had to be really fun for you to read it and take that journey down memory lane. And it sounds like you were having fun airplane adventures long before a kid came into the picture.:lmao:

It was wild to hear about your rides on attractions that aren't in the parks anymore. World of Motion, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, etc.

I hope you have a great time on your upcoming trip and enjoy AoA. That's pretty impressive, having a Cast Member call you to ask about specific requests. :thumbsup2
Haha, yeah, I took a whopping two round-trip flights in childhood - both to Florida, actually. I guess that very first one was pretty exciting! And then we have Izzy who is a veteran flyer at 5. :rotfl:

I miss the old rides! Sometimes I want to go back in time and ride them again!

We had a great time overall, though AoA didn't really WOW us like I was expecting. But still good!

What a find. Classic. You have come a long way in trip reporting style ; ). Have a magical time Will look for updates and a new report when you get back home.
Haha, thank you! (Though I have no clue when I'll get to writing about that recent trip...maybe in like 2021?? :rotfl2:)

Jumping right on in from your last update if you don't mind!

Oooh never heard of this but will have to remember this for next time!

Wow she looks so little here. Time is flying for sure!

I'm pretty sure this is the best window display in all of the Disneyland Resort!

Ugh i'm so, so, so, SO upset they got rid of the Paint the Night parade! The best parade! And the song was so catchy. Waaaah!

Right? I totally agree. This ride for me, is just not an 'every trip' ride.

I've seen so many people get right back in line after they have exited in this queue, it's so easy to do, especially if there's a gap in the line.

Now Indy is an 'every trip' ride for me for sure!

Seriously! Best solo night ever! Pirates would be the best ride to go on by yourself for sure, wow!

Yay you left today, have so much fun!

Uhhh whaaa??

NO way?!? Dang, this is pretty darn awesome that you got a free stay from this!

I was alive! Not walking probably, but I was fully alive!
I don't mind you jumping in at all! I was so excited to see you back and now I've barely been on here! :sad2:

It really is crazy looking at these TRs and seeing how much our kids have grown up in a short time, isn't it?

Hope you've been doing well!

I have been following along and just caught up on the most recent post, of your 7-year old self report, which is a great memory!

Amazingact21 mentioned it above, but I too also giggled, when reading "some Dumbo ride".

Just a quick mention on one of your previous updates, that I didn't comment on when reading, was, I love love love the fact you had some "alone" time at Disneyland.

(Although I don't have kids) I am almost coming up with ways to get my own time in Disneyland without my DH on our upcoming trip hehe.

But truly, your time looked epic, especially your picture on Splash!

Enjoy on your current trip!
Ha, I actually giggled too when I read "some Dumbo ride" - clearly I had no idea that it was a #1 Touring Plans priority for families with young children! I would have been shocked to know there was a "Dumbo Dash"!

I think that alone time is so important! It might be because I'm an introvert and need it to recharge, but I also think it's nice when you have others (kid, DH, whoever) that want to do different things all day and then you get to get out of that for a bit and just do what you want and not worry about whether anyone else is happy with that choice. That time always feels so exciting and invigorating - kind of like being a kid set loose in a candy store.

Yay!!!

No kidding!!! Sign me up! :thumbsup2

Your vintage TR is amazing, thanks for sharing! :goodvibes
You are welcome!

I cannot believe she is big enough to ride the big rides!
Just barely, but she made it and LOVED them! My little thrill-rider. She tells people her favorite rides were Space, Everest, and FoP (all 44").

I know it's because all I see of Izzy are your trip report photos, but how is she tall enough to ride Space Mountain!?!? Isn't it great when you can all ride the rides together. It's like a whole new experience!.
It's awesome to ride together! And, yes, she was just BARELY tall enough, but she made it! We did a lot of pre-work with teaching her to stand up straight and hold her head up and try to touch a bar with her head. And that was needed!

My DS19 wouldn’t ride it until he was 12. Good for her. ( mine was scared of any dark rides when he was little )
Yeah, I was a little surprised because she literally sleeps with her light on every night because of the dark...but this didn't bother her. :confused3

It looks like you are all having an amazing time in WDW! Have a great rest of your trip!

And I love your first TR! That is priceless!
Aw, thanks!

Ahh, great photos! I know it's already been said, but my mind is blown that Izzy can ride the coasters now. I just can't wrap my head around that fact...
Well, just wait until next June then! ;)

This certainly sounds like a case of the customer recovery being far greater than the customer inconvenience. I hope you have an awesome trip!!!

Well, I'm used to writing 7 year old writing and I have to say your 7 year old writing is easier to read than DS's. :rotfl2: Awesome trip report! The good old days! My first Disney trip was that same year. :thumbsup2
Yes, they in no way owed us a 6 night stay, but we were totally willing to accept it anyway.

And thank you on the 7-year-old TR! :goodvibes

No way! Lucky Izzy! But did they give her any butter?? :P
:rotfl2: No, in fact!

I love these little random posts!
Thanks, it was nice to be able to share some of those moments with those who would appreciate them!

:rotfl2::rotfl:
Meghan poses a good question...Izzy needs her butter!:lmao:
:rotfl2: Surprisingly, I guess pretzel rolls are acceptable without butter. :confused3

Oh no!! That's terrible! I'm sure it doesn't feel too great. But hopefully it'll heal quickly. And you're right, the timing could have been much worse. On a positive note: welcome home!
Thanks! Yeah, it was not a fun thing to deal with, but at least it was at the end and not in all our pictures!

Ouch! I feel like getting injured by a kid skull is the must unexpectedly consistent part of parenting. Their little heads are so hard. Hope it heals quickly.
Yes! I've had lots of bumps in the chin and such with her skull, but first one that cracked the eye like that. It hurts us much more than them too!

Yikes. I hope it didn't hurt too bad and heals quickly
It really hurt at first, but then it just turned into a rainbow for a couple weeks and eventually healed all up.

So did you rent Izzy out to other people so they could go get some free pretzel bread?

Ouch... that stinks. Sorry it happened. Welcome home!
Haha, I think anyone could have gotten pretzel bread free. I asked to buy some and two different CMs were like, "Oh, you can just have that free!"

Thanks!

Oh my goodness I can't believe she went on EE (TWICE!) and Space!:worship:

I have two kids. Double the bread?!?...for them of course:ssst:

Ick your eye. I had to scroll quick. I'm strange, I have an eye phobia :upsidedow But I hope you healed quickly!
Haha, all the bread!!! Sorry about engaging your eye phobia! It did heal up, but took a couple weeks. I had to keep explaining to co-workers since I could tell they were looking and wondering...

Oh wow! That looks like it hurt. Hope it's healing up well and glad to hear you had a great trip!
It did hurt! But healed well and is now a strange memory (I was going to say "amusing memory", but it really doesn't make me laugh, even now...)

:laughing:

Yay! So glad to hear it. The few pictures you posted sure looked like you guys were having a great time :goodvibes

:rotfl: Looking forward to it ;)
Thanks!

We just did a cars movie night and now I really want to get out to Cars Land. Cece is super into the red car movie!

Love the 1985 TR! Super cute. When we were kids we took two trips to WDW. I was 8 and 10. My dad always made us keep trip journals of our experiences along with mileage reports and navigation notes. I would love to come across those someday!!

Looking forward to hearing about all your upcoming trip!
Cars Land is so cool! One of my favorite parts of Disneyland for sure!

Oh, that's awesome - we also had two Disney visits as kids - I was 7 and 13. It's fun to read about how I experienced everything then vs. now.

I came to the realization / it was pointed out to me that I have been lax in reading this Trip Report ... so I am attempting to get caught up

soooooo back to your meal at Cafe Orleans ;)

We never made it there but it looks really good - but consistent with other reports I saw the portions are very large and the Monte Cristo sandwhiches are very filling ... but definitely hard to pass up Mickey Beignets! (we did get some of those from the quick service window - some regular and some pumpkin flavored)

Glad you got on Indy - it really is a great ride ... we definitely had some bored kids waiting for the parents to ride though as well. Crazy to know the ride track is the exact same as Dinosaur, but it feels so different with how open some of the rooms are (and also one reason there periodically are rumors that Dinosaur will be changed over to Indy)

That is pretty cool you got that "sold out" ticket for Star Tours - maybe just as they don't have the paper FP at WDW anymore but that seems so exotic and like a collectors item or something

Funny how we can measure the development of our kids by hitting milestones to be able to ride certain rides at Disney ... the other day Judi informed me that Peter just hit "Space Mountain" height :rotfl2:

I always love how you do the "alternating solo nights" - I think that makes a lot of sense and just lets each of you have some solo time and hit up things that maybe you are more interested in than the rest of the family ... seems like Dug got a lot done!

I know you posted this a while ago and perhaps this has since been addressed but I assume you saw the revised plans that Disney is doing and the Eastern Gate project is dead, so no impact to that side and thus the short walk will remain!

Wow, that really is an empty character breakfast - is it just because you were on the early side (in general I found that the CA crowd was not the early risers that the WDW crowd can be) or is it just always empty? Looks like fun - especially the Chip meetings

That is cool you could use use the special entrance into DCA - though definitely would have been nice to know before you needed the physical receipt (guess it makes sense, in hindsight, that someone else could have just sent you the photo of their receipt).

Good to hear you liked Mater's ride ... since that ride is coming to Toy Story Land at DCA, just re-themed to Alien Swirling Saucers (which is one ride you don't want to abbreviate in a trip report! :thumbsup2 )

We really liked A Bug's Land (it felt to me like there were less rides at DCA that the entire family could do together and more rides that were either aimed at young ones or had a height restriction) - a little worried about the rumors of Bug's Land closing to make way for the expanded Marvel Land
Thank you for coming over here, Phil! Sorry it took me so long to respond!!

Hey, congrats to Peter on hitting "Space Mountain height"!!

Yay, that is awesome that the short walk will remain! We think it's likely we'll make it back to Disneyland in August 2018 because we have a cousin wedding in the LA area, so that is great news!

I think the breakfast got busier as the morning went on. It was very empty when we arrived, but had filled up decently by the time we left. So, go early for extra character attention and to get into the parks earlier!

Great to know about the ride I shall not abbreviate. :rotfl2: I didn't actually know that, as I've been terrible at keeping up on Disney news! :blush:

(catching up part II recall when we ate at Ariel's Grotto the line was on the stairs as well - I think maybe the had a few groups on the floor (like, the next couple of groups to meet Ariel) but the rest were on the stairs after being called from the waiting area. I know when we went Judi had taken the kdis to get changed into their Little Mermaid otufits so I think that helped as she was off doing that while I waited on the stairs alone

at least in the end you got a nice photo out of it!

I agree - the kids meals were really cute there and nice that there were just a little different but still kid staple foods so I think most kids would eat something there

We really liked that character meal overall - good Princess interaction and we thought the food was really good .... sort of bummed that it is going away during the Pixar Pier redo

Good idea about Dug talking - that would be great! And I know they have been testing out more talking characters at Disneyland (Minnie and Donald joining Mickey) so maybe it is something they could do in the future!

Well, glad things (mostly) worked out in the end and you got on RSR and back in time to drink, er, eat ;) The ride really is great - I think the outside part is very similar to Test Track but the inside part is so different with the characters that it does feel like an entirely different ride (same ride system technology of course)

Drinks, er, food looks really good! Looks like quite a number of options too. Definitely makes sense to do that vs a meal at Napa Rose with a toddler - though looks like might be a nice option for "date night" as well

Cars Land at night really is amazing looking ... and we loved the Cars meets - and I think the part when they change out cars is some of the best part ... I know Mater says a bunch of funny things when he is coming into position

Sounds like some great solo time at Disneyland (despite the very convoluted solo ride path for Indy) - and wow, two solo boat rides!!!! (even if you got some eyerolling from CMs)

Sorry about the tantrum and I am sure you were just on edge worrying about keeping other people awake as well ... as hard as it is to change plans to eliminate some Disney time, I am sure it was the right call!

Wow, how cool you found that journal! And your handwriting is pretty darn good! (and memories of back when it was called Epcot Center :lovestruc)

Sorry to hear about the black eye - hope it healed quickly!

And glad to see you had a great trip to WDW!
Well, that's interesting that you waited on the stairs as well! But we really liked that meal and the photo we got, so well worth it!

Love love love RSR and Cars Land - that's a big reason I want to go back - so Izzy can ride RSR. I'm sure she would LOOOOOVE it! :car:

Yeah, that tantrum was tough for both those reasons! But it all worked out and we still had a great next day!

Ha, thanks on the handwriting and old journal! And, yes, it was EPCOT Center for sure!

That black eye was the worst, but all gone now!

Thanks!

Finally getting caught up on reading. Like you, it's been a very crazy fall!

LOVED reading your first trip report! I teach 2nd grade and your writing was very good- and made me remember my own first trip in '89.

Glad you had a great trip in October! Can't wait to read all about it. But OUCH- your poor eye!
Thank you about the old TR! It's fun to think back about how the parks have changed and feel a bit nostalgic!

October was really nice, but that eye was so awful!

Oh bummer that you missed the opening of ToonTown, but glad you got to meet Mickey with not much wait! Love Izzy's dress! <3 And this post really made me miss WDW's version. :(
Thank you on the dress! I know, I'd like to go back in time and see WDW's version again - though I think DLR's is better, so glad that's still there!

I am falling behind on my trip report as well. The holidays are killing all of my "spare" time!. So, I totally understand.

Wow, I didn't realize Minnie liked cheese so much!

I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't stop. Sigh.

So, cute. It seems like they could theme toontown and put it Hollywood Studios in Florida.

Cute! Some of my favorite photos are the ones in the same place to compare.
Yes, I miss "free time" - feels like I seldom have any lately. This is so nice to be back on here a bit. I've been working a lot of nights and, when not working, catching up on everything else in life. This is more fun!

I'd love Toontown in DHS! They could use something there!

I didn't realize that there was so much to do in Toon Town! I'm glad you had a good morning there, though it looks like it was getting pretty busy! I'm sorry your afternoon didn't go as planned...
The morning was really fun - there's so much to explore in Toontown and it's all so cute and interactive!

Afternoon was still good, but just not quite like we were anticipating.

What a cutie! I love the look!

Bahaha :rotfl:

I love this! I'm all for New Fantasyland at WDW, but it's too bad we don't have anything like this left at WDW anymore.

So sweet! She's precious and Mickey is looking incredibly dapper!

Noses are very interesting, apparently!

Yay! Go Izzy! She's a brave one!

She was soo cute at this age!

Again, very brave! I never would have tried something like a giant pickle at her age.

Uh oh...
Thanks on everything! I can't believe how little she seems in this TR vs. now - and it's less than two years ago! I was really surprised she tried (and liked!) the pickle. She is a ridiculously picky eater, so this is not common!

Fun morning in Toontown! Izzy does look so small in these pictures. Hard to believe she's riding the big coasters now!
I can't believe how she still looks like a little toddler in these pics and I see her now and that toddler-ness is gone (in looks, not always in behavior!)

For some reason this reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from The Jetsons - as in the future they apparently have better work/life balance but in once scene George is lamenting his "hard work schedule" as he states "these 3 day work weeks are killing me!!!"

Glad to see you seemed to be doing ok in the morning despite the drama of the night before/had energy etc. ... well, if a weird egg patty thing won't get you going, I don't know what will?!?!?! - well, maybe a thermos full of coffee ;)

Seems like you got a lot done in Toontown despite getting there a bit later than you wanted. There really is a lot to see/a lot of details. I never noticed in Mickey's house that there are some pictures with Walt in them (guess I wasn't sure how Toontown and the real world connected - or maybe Walt was just allowed to visit Toontown .... or maybe I am overthinking this whole thing ;)

We never got to Minnie's house as the wait was never less than 60 mins for her and we just could justify it - but her house looks cute too!

that's cool how Pluto came up to you and glad Dug got this photo of you two with him:

... always love a good photo of one parent taking a picture of the other parent taking a picture of them :rotfl:

haha, love this picture!!!! :rotfl2:

Overall seems pretty productive ... though your tease at the end is a bit worrisome!
Sign me up for those 3 day work weeks of the future!!!

I love all those details in Toontown! (You might be overthinking, though. :rotfl:)

Minnie was a long wait, though not as long as yours, but it was really a must-do at the time.

Oh, don't worry, but it just wasn't like the image in our minds....

I can relate...

I like the creativity! As long as it is food in the stomach.

Awesome!!!

::yes:: It happens fast!

Um... yeah... sure. :rolleyes1 It's your TR, whatever you say.

Keeping a kid from dropping food on the ground is no small feat to be taken lightly. It's like the first thing they do is actively try to throw it down or something.

::yes:: I like the way you think!
Yes, even now at 5, she drops something almost every meal! She's always so distracted and caught up in her imagination or talking or chair-dancing. :confused3 Our dog still gets a fair amount of unplanned treats (though not as many as when Izzy was at her high chair just learning to eat and Bailey just stood under her waiting for food to rain down. :laughing:)

I really wish all water rides had a nice surprise drop sequence!!

I absolutely LOVE Toontown in DL! So much better than Toontown Fair was at MK. We love exploring all of the houses and stuff with the kids. Goofy's Playhouse has been a hit with the kids every trip so far. And nice that even though it opened earlier than you thought, you still managed to meet both Mickey & Minnie with short waits.
I'm glad it still worked out reasonably well for us. And that's such a fun area with so much detail to take in!

Amazing pictures!!! And OMG Izzy's dress is the best thing ever!!!!!!!
Thank you! Such a fun dress! We still have it and she occasionally wears it as a shirt now. :thumbsup2

Hi! I’ve been away from the Dis for a while because things are pretty hectic around here, but was glad to see an update on your report.

Toon Town looks like a lot of fun. Izzy looks like she was having a great time!

I can’t believe there wasn’t a line for Eeyore. Glad you got a chance to meet him!
I understand the hectic and I'm there too! Hope you're all doing well!

Toontown was really cute and fun for everyone!

I did a double-take to make sure there was no Eeyore line and that he was actually available to meet - so lucky we ran into him when we did!

Trader Sams looks yummy! Moijtos are my favorite adult beverage and Dug’s really makes me want one :drinking1, two more moths to go!!!The food looks yummy too! Too bad about having to shuffle around to find a seat!

The Nemo boats! I can’t wait to hear about your ride on them! When I was a kid and they had them WDW I was terrified to ride them and my dad and brother went on them without me and my mom, I have always regretted it since they are no longer there:guilty: I guess we just have to go back to DL to experience that one!

Oh yes, the monorail at DL is definitely NOT the same experience as WDW!!! We have only ridden it as a ride, not as a form of transportation there because having to fold up the stroller to get on is such a big pain in the rear. I don't blame you for walking back to the park instead!

Sorry Trader Sam's wasn't the best experience. I can imagine it was very frustrating wandering around and trying to figure out what to do. At least the food & drinks were good!

Love the Nemo subs, but that is definitely one that can get super long and is not worth a long wait! Score catching it at 20 minutes so late in the day instead of having to do it at rope drop.

We all shared the Panko-crusted Chinese Long Beans
served with Sriracha Aïoli:
Ooooh this looks amazing! As did your sandwiches. :thumbsup2

I immediately noticed a Cast Member now stationed near the door that was fulfilling exactly the role needed when we arrived - directing people to where they needed to be and making them feel helped and not ignored. She was great. :thumbsup2 If only she’d been out there when we’d arrived, the whole experience would have been really different. Because no one was there to help us at all, we felt super awkward and uncomfortable wandering around a bar with a toddler and trying to figure out how to even get service. It all worked out okay, but not the experience we’d been anticipating.
Ugh, this experience made me anxious just reading about it - I would have felt awkward, too. But at least you eventually had a good meal and a little bonus drink for Dug ;)

I chose to walk back with the stroller while Dug and Izzy took the monorail – I love a good fast-paced walk anyway, so this was a good opportunity to do that without anyone slowing me down (and some bonus solo time to just look around was great).
I would have done the same! Nice opportunity for a nice walk plus the added bonus of not having to go through the monorail ordeal ::yes::

I still can't get over how sweet Izzy's Star Wars dress is!!

How unfortunate that you have to unpack and fold everything to take the monorail at Disneyland! It seems so strange knowing how much easier it is to roll strollers onto the WDW monorails!

I'm here!! Just binge-read your report. I think I had mentioned that we were not huge DL fans-- but absence makes the heart grow fonder and all, so I'm actually starting to want to try again. Hoping to piggyback on a fall 2019 conference my husband has in CA to make it happen. I'm definitely stealing some of your strategy-- y'all did a great job with fast pass, dining, etc. I do know I am NOT splurging on a Disney hotel again. I am thinking probably Ho-Jo because of the water park, but honestly, we will probably just be there to sleep! Your location looks unbeatable-- and free food, even if it wasn't very good! We didn't do ToonTown or Bug's Life land at all--my kids were really just too old for both-- but it looks PERFECT for Izzy! Her enthusiasm for everything just shines in her face-- so precious. I'm hoping to get back on the Dis-horse and both read and write more. I'm with you--2017 was just NOT our year. I've had trouble even mustering enthusiasm for things I love. BUT-- we leave for 9 nights in WDW exactly one month from tomorrow!!!!! I'm finally feeling the Magic again. We are getting AP's this year, too, so I'm super excited about that, as well!!! Looking forward to reading more as you have time to write!

The monorail at Disneyland is definitely different than at WDW ... and when it was first constructed it did go right to the Disneyland hotel ... only thing is, the Disneyland hotel is not where it was at that time - it's been rebuild/modified over the years and it used to be right where the monorail station in Downtown Disney is now ... though I guess that will be changing as they are knocking down that area of Downtown Disney to make room for the new 4 diamond resort that will go there and sort of wedge into/around the Disneyland hotel

Sorry for the challenges at Trader Sam's - it is just so small inside that it is tough when you have kids - but totally agree that having a CM out front helps a lot to at least let you know what the deal is and respond

Glad you enjoyed the food though - we did have those longbeans and they were really good!

Glad you enjoyed your walk back - sometimes just a little time to "breath" during a Disney trip is nice

I believe this was Dug’s Mosquito Mojito (Strawberry Rum, Organic Agave Nectar, Falernum, Mint and fresh Lime Juice topped with Soda Water):

Sounds delish! I love mojitos!

Once we wrapped up our leisurely lunch
Ha leisurely lunch... Doesn't sound too leisurely.

Glad to hear that you got a better Trader Sam's expierence eventually. I want to get there eventually. I assume you went with Izzy then too?

Trader Sams looks yummy! Moijtos are my favorite adult beverage and Dug’s really makes me want one :drinking1, two more moths to go!!!The food looks yummy too! Too bad about having to shuffle around to find a seat!
Yeah, the food and drinks were all really good - it was just the awkwardness of getting an order in and finding a seat that soured the experience a bit.

The Nemo boats! I can’t wait to hear about your ride on them! When I was a kid and they had them WDW I was terrified to ride them and my dad and brother went on them without me and my mom, I have always regretted it since they are no longer there:guilty: I guess we just have to go back to DL to experience that one!
Yes, have to try the Disneyland ones instead! I actually went on the WDW ones as a kid, so this was a fun nostalgic ride!

Oh yes, the monorail at DL is definitely NOT the same experience as WDW!!! We have only ridden it as a ride, not as a form of transportation there because having to fold up the stroller to get on is such a big pain in the rear. I don't blame you for walking back to the park instead!
Yes, it would be so much better as just a ride! (At least when you have little ones with lots of gear).

Sorry Trader Sam's wasn't the best experience. I can imagine it was very frustrating wandering around and trying to figure out what to do. At least the food & drinks were good!
Yes, if we could have just grabbed a table and gotten service, it would have been fantastic! As it was, we enjoyed things, but that was a rough start and we felt so unwelcome there.

Love the Nemo subs, but that is definitely one that can get super long and is not worth a long wait! Score catching it at 20 minutes so late in the day instead of having to do it at rope drop.
Yes, that was our thought - it was about as good as it gets except at rope drop - and we wanted to use that for other things, if we could.

Ooooh this looks amazing! As did your sandwiches. :thumbsup2
They were all great!

Ugh, this experience made me anxious just reading about it - I would have felt awkward, too. But at least you eventually had a good meal and a little bonus drink for Dug ;)
Exactly! Rough start, but still good stuff!

I would have done the same! Nice opportunity for a nice walk plus the added bonus of not having to go through the monorail ordeal ::yes::
Yep, I love a good walk anyway. So, a good fast walk without a whiny toddler and slow-paced hubby was a treat!

I still can't get over how sweet Izzy's Star Wars dress is!!
Aw, thanks! It really is a cute little thing! Such a sweet gift!

How unfortunate that you have to unpack and fold everything to take the monorail at Disneyland! It seems so strange knowing how much easier it is to roll strollers onto the WDW monorails!
I know! I was expecting something more like WDW, so this was an unpleasant surprise!

I'm here!! Just binge-read your report. I think I had mentioned that we were not huge DL fans-- but absence makes the heart grow fonder and all, so I'm actually starting to want to try again. Hoping to piggyback on a fall 2019 conference my husband has in CA to make it happen. I'm definitely stealing some of your strategy-- y'all did a great job with fast pass, dining, etc. I do know I am NOT splurging on a Disney hotel again. I am thinking probably Ho-Jo because of the water park, but honestly, we will probably just be there to sleep! Your location looks unbeatable-- and free food, even if it wasn't very good! We didn't do ToonTown or Bug's Life land at all--my kids were really just too old for both-- but it looks PERFECT for Izzy! Her enthusiasm for everything just shines in her face-- so precious. I'm hoping to get back on the Dis-horse and both read and write more. I'm with you--2017 was just NOT our year. I've had trouble even mustering enthusiasm for things I love. BUT-- we leave for 9 nights in WDW exactly one month from tomorrow!!!!! I'm finally feeling the Magic again. We are getting AP's this year, too, so I'm super excited about that, as well!!! Looking forward to reading more as you have time to write!
Yay, glad you're here! :goodvibes Our hope is to piggyback an August 2018 wedding with Disneyland - might as well! I agree about the hotels. I really can't find a way to justify the cost of a Disneyland hotel when the affordable offsite options are SO convenient! You should at least wander around Toon Town - it's really fun, even for adults! I'm guessing both of us would name the eclipse as the highlight of 2017. ::yes:: Yay for your WDW trip coming up, though!

The monorail at Disneyland is definitely different than at WDW ... and when it was first constructed it did go right to the Disneyland hotel ... only thing is, the Disneyland hotel is not where it was at that time - it's been rebuild/modified over the years and it used to be right where the monorail station in Downtown Disney is now ... though I guess that will be changing as they are knocking down that area of Downtown Disney to make room for the new 4 diamond resort that will go there and sort of wedge into/around the Disneyland hotel
Oh, really, that's all very interesting! You are much more informed than I am. :rotfl:

Sorry for the challenges at Trader Sam's - it is just so small inside that it is tough when you have kids - but totally agree that having a CM out front helps a lot to at least let you know what the deal is and respond
Yes, that would have helped so much!

Glad you enjoyed the food though - we did have those longbeans and they were really good!
I remembered them in your report and that was enough for us to get them too. Yum!

Glad you enjoyed your walk back - sometimes just a little time to "breath" during a Disney trip is nice
Sure is! I need that off-mom-duty time periodically!

Sounds delish! I love mojitos!
It was! Yum!

Ha leisurely lunch... Doesn't sound too leisurely.

Glad to hear that you got a better Trader Sam's expierence eventually. I want to get there eventually. I assume you went with Izzy then too?
Haha, about as leisurely as it gets with a toddler, I guess. :laughing: Yes, we took Izzy to WDW Trader Sam's and that was fun for all!

Just wanted to check in and say I've been reading along. Sounds like a fun trip!
Thanks for popping in and saying hi! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!