"I Only Run in Purple." - Anisum's Road PRs in 2018

Eeek, sorry to hear about the calf, but I'm glad you were smart about making adjustments instead of trying to push through and risking more serious injury. Hoping you're back to 100% soon!

Also, that progression run sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

I'm a bit concerned about missing the hardest run of my training plan so I'm not sure if I should take the paces from that and apply it to my last 11 mile run two weeks from now or if I should do 11 next week instead of 7 but that would mean doing 11 two weeks in a row or if I should just figure what's done is done and continue my training. Everything else has been going well and I've been pretty good at getting all of my runs in so I know I shouldn't be worried about it. I just felt so good Saturday and Sunday with regards to being in the zone with training and enjoying running that I'm sad my calf is trying to make things difficult. Doesn't my body know it needs to stay healthy for the next month and 3-4 days so I get through the marathon in one piece?

Don't add anything to the plan. I like to keep the last hybrid LR 5 weeks out to allow for sufficient recovery. So we don't want it 3 weeks out. Also, doing max LR two weeks in a row (changing 7 into 11) is not advisable either. So my recommendation is to not add any mileage because of missed/cut short runs. Remember that the training is cumulative. No one run is more important than any other at the end of the plan. So if you miss a max LR, it's ok. The reason you've got 5 other days in the week is to balance out the training. If you were doing 3 days per week and missed the LR, then it would have a bigger impact on the final result (but would still not recommend adding in that case either). So I wouldn't worry one iota about the final results from the plan based on this past weekend. Heal up and be ready to attack the next week!

I'm sorry to hear you have having some pain. Always better to listen to your body and heal up. As some wise people on here have said before, "better to be health and under-trained than fully trained and injured". Or something like that. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Sending good, non-twingey pain thoughts your way! Hope it was a fluke!

6 days a week is intense - I am so impressed with your level of tRaining.

I also love intervals for the reasons you described!

Eeek, sorry to hear about the calf, but I'm glad you were smart about making adjustments instead of trying to push through and risking more serious injury. Hoping you're back to 100% soon!

Also, that progression run sounds like it would be a lot of fun!
Thanks. I was definitely enjoying the run so I was sad I had to stop but I know it was for the best. I really like progressions. Maybe one day they'll make their way into your @DopeyBadger plan.

Don't add anything to the plan. I like to keep the last hybrid LR 5 weeks out to allow for sufficient recovery. So we don't want it 3 weeks out. Also, doing max LR two weeks in a row (changing 7 into 11) is not advisable either. So my recommendation is to not add any mileage because of missed/cut short runs. Remember that the training is cumulative. No one run is more important than any other at the end of the plan. So if you miss a max LR, it's ok. The reason you've got 5 other days in the week is to balance out the training. If you were doing 3 days per week and missed the LR, then it would have a bigger impact on the final result (but would still not recommend adding in that case either). So I wouldn't worry one iota about the final results from the plan based on this past weekend. Heal up and be ready to attack the next week!
I figured that would probably be the case but I figured I had to ask. I'm sure I'll be fine. Overall I feel good if not always tired (as is to be expected) but my body has definitely adjusted to the knowledge that it has to run almost every day now.

I'm sorry to hear you have having some pain. Always better to listen to your body and heal up. As some wise people on here have said before, "better to be health and under-trained than fully trained and injured". Or something like that. Hope you are feeling better soon.
This is true. I would not want to injured. As the weeks go by I'm becoming more and more concerned that someone is going to be ill near me. I know I have a month to go but I just want all illnesses and injuries to stay away.

Sending positive wavelengths over the internet to get to you right now. Hoping that helps at least .000186% towards any ouches going away.
Thanks! I think it will go away. If not in the next day or two then definitely after my rest day.

Sending good, non-twingey pain thoughts your way! Hope it was a fluke!

6 days a week is intense - I am so impressed with your level of tRaining.

I also love intervals for the reasons you described!
Thank you! I was nervous about doing 6 days a week but the plan has really helped me get prepped for the six days a week and after a short slump early in the week I feel like the end is in sight.

P.S. Intervals are the best. I have three more weeks of Tuesday intervals and I'm very excited.

Stopping by to let you know they announced Pantone's Color of the Year 2018 and it's.......PURPLE!
Ultraviolet Purple to be precise.

The NY Times thinks the Future is Purple:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/07/fashion/pantone-color-of-the-year-2018-ultraviolet.html

07PANTONE-1-superJumbo.jpg

Very important info! Thank you @roxymama!

In other news I had the most interesting run yesterday I was asked for directions (by car half way across the street that I did not approach) then I ran into a wild turkey chasing geese. When I stopped to watch the wild turkey turned and ran after a nearby woman with her dog. When the dog barked it ran at me and I fired off a warning shot of pepper gel that ended up a few inches from the turkey's face (I would have felt slightly bad if I hit it). Then back to running. I was running up a hill when I tripped over the uneven sidewalk and cut up my hands and knees. My hand was bleeding a lot and since I was wearing new running clothes I ran home to put a Band-Aid on. on the way another person stopped to ask for directions. Then I made it home, got a bandaid and headed back out to do my last two miles. Today my knee (which was also bleeding a lot, I didn't look when I went to bandage my hand) hurts a little from the cuts. I'm thinking about resting it but I'm worried that since it's supposed to snow tomorrow that I may not be able to do either tomorrow or Sunday's run and I'm wondering if I should get through today just in case. I'll see how I feel after work.

That was one crazy run. I mean, attack turkey? Crashing on the run? Ouch and playing direction guide? That's a lot on one run. Nice job on finishing it and hope you heal quickly from the fall.

That was one crazy run. I mean, attack turkey? Crashing on the run? Ouch and playing direction guide? That's a lot on one run. Nice job on finishing it and hope you heal quickly from the fall.
Thanks! I felt like I could run today but I chose not to. When I was changing into my running clothes I texted a picture of my wounds and bruises my mom (she's a Physical Therapist) and she started calling me on all of the phones to make sure I didn't go out for a run. She thinks it looks like I may have done some damage to the area surrounding medial collateral ligament and she wants to make sure that I have the stability necessary to run so I don't get a sprain. She'll check it out later tonight but I imagine I won't pick back up running until Sunday or Monday after we're sure I'm fine. I'm disappointed but better to lose a few days of training instead of causing damage that would make me unable to run next month.

Good news! My mom came by and checked me out. She said most of the bruising was the lighting of the image making it look worse so I plan to actively recover by walking around NYC tomorrow and then as long as all is well I'll be back to running on Sunday.

Week 34 (12/4-12/10):
Monday: 4mi @ EA
Tuesday: 1mi @ WU + 1mi * 3 @ HM Tempo + 2 0.5 RI + 1mi @ CD
Thursday: 1 mile @ WU + 6 mi @ Tempo + 1 mile @ CD
Friday: 4 mi @ EA
Saturday: 6 mi @ EB (I only did 5.5)
Sunday: 7 mi @ LR

Monday: 4 miles. Very exciting. I always forget anything interesting that happened during the Monday miles so I don't post much about it. I didn't even edit this. I tried to think of something that happened and nothing did.

Tuesday: Intervals!!! This week I liked the 1 mile interval better this week than last week BUT I'm very excited to go back down to 0.75mi intervals.

Thursday: I already spoke about this at length. I did get all the blood out of my new running pants which was good. My hand and knees look like a hot mess and I struggle to hold a pen but I'm recovering.

Friday: Did not run, mentioned above.

Saturday: Did not run, I did go to NYC and see Hamilton which TBH was better than running.

Sunday: I ran this. My knee didn't hurt much. Some people failed to shovel or salt and just left the snow that fell on Saturday to become ice which was the worst so I tried to either stick to clear (sunny!) sidewalks or the street but occasionally cars prevented me from running in the street and I had to walk over the ice.

EDIT: In non-running news I got the magic bands in the mail. You'll never guess what color mine is! My friend who is volunteering for the full got her volunteer paperwork as well which is pretty cool. Not long now.

WOOHOO!! Magic band arrival is the best!!!

I'm also so jealous you went to see Hamilton. Was it wonderful???

Ok A) That run is crazy. B) Glad your fall didn't result in a serious injury. C) You got to see Hamilton on Broadway?!?! Jealous!

Glad it's not super serious :)
So glad you aren’t badly hurt! Sounds like an excellent recovery plan.
First, Thanks guys! I totally forgot to respond to these yesterday because I was so excited to post my update saying I ran.

WOOHOO!! Magic band arrival is the best!!!

I'm also so jealous you went to see Hamilton. Was it wonderful???
Yes! Purple magic bands for everyone. Or at least two people in our travel party including myself. It was! I feel like the entire cast while different from the original cast was amazing because they probably have their pick of pretty much anyone ever each time someone leaves. Everyone was very impressive and the staging and such was great despite being minimalistic compared to some other shows. It was really great.

Ok A) That run is crazy. B) Glad your fall didn't result in a serious injury. C) You got to see Hamilton on Broadway?!?! Jealous!
A) It was. My co-workers keep making me tell the turkey part to anyone who didn't hear it. B) Thank you. I am as well. C. I did! My good friend L actually got us tickets (the two of us and my mother) because she knew we liked the show and she likes the show and she's practically the sister I've never had to the point where she's pretty close with my mother and most of my extended family as well. She got them direct from the theater and didn't overpay because she is some kind of ticket ninja. She said it's because of all the practice she has getting fast passes for Disney.

Week 34 (12/11-12/17):
Monday: 4mi @ EA
Tuesday: 1mi @ WU + 0.75mi * 3 @ HM Tempo + 2 * 0.5mi RI + 1mi @ CD
Thursday: 1 mile @ WU + 6 mi @ Tempo + 1 mile @ CD
Friday: 4 mi @ EA
Saturday: 6 mi @ EB
Sunday: 11 mi @ LR

Monday: Really and truly back to running post fall. I remember my cuts were still weepy and scabbing over that this point but not the run itself. I know I was a bit to fast for the scheduled pace since after two days of not running I had energy to burn.

Tuesday: Intervals!!! Back down to 0.75mi intervals. This went well as per usual and was enjoyable.

Thursday: This went well. It was much less exciting then last week's run. It had snowed overnight so I ended up having to only run the side of the park I run on Thursdays where the sun hits. The other side is wooded (thus why I carry pepper spray) so I wasn't risking the snow. I struggle to consume my scratch gummies in the cold (around 30F they start to harden becoming inedible) so I grabbed two gels I had gotten in Stridebox. The first one was good. It was CarbBoom Vanilla/Orange. The consistency was thinner than Clif or Gu which I like and the flavor combo was pretty much a creamsicle. The second was from a company called Science in Sport and it was more liquid-y than gel consistency. It got thrown out after an attempt to take in some because it tasted like Wawa's 'Orange Drink' from the late 90s which essentially a little carton that they donated to children's sports teams along with lemonade, iced tea, and milk that looked like watered down orange juice and tasted like "something". I continue to have nightmare's about it. I actually found a group that liked it when trying to find a picture for this post. The description is accurate. "this is a group for the few but proud and probaly less than 10 people who love the watered down orange flavor of that delicious simple drink. water, sugar, and orange is all you need." Again, I can't describe this nightmare accurately enough.

Friday: I actually did this run in the morning because I was going to see Star Wars in the afternoon. It also ended up snowing in the afternoon so it was a good choice.

Saturday: Snow from Friday hadn't cleared so I ran the 0.5 loop around my block. I did this about 10 times because once I strayed slightly because I saw this pair of dogs I had seen on past runs that I really wanted to pet going for a walk with their owner. I got to pet them and they were very nice. One was a big great dane who was definitely taller than any dog I've ever met, even other great danes. He was maybe 3'5"? The second was also a bigger dog with wiry hair who looked like a mixed breed. He would have been pretty big if he wasn't next to the great dane.

Sunday: My scabs on my hand finally fell off meaning I can walk around without a bandaid taking up most of my hand. I did all 11 miles and it felt good. I felt strong and I feel ready. That was my last 10+ mile run so now I really wind down. I have my next longest run at 9mi on Thursday then 7mi on Sunday and Tuesday (26th) and then it's all four and three mile runs.

In other news. Unless I get some more purple summer running clothes I may come up short on having either a purple top or purple pants for each race of Dopey. I have two purple tops a pair of purple galaxy print capris, a pair of blue and purple galaxy print capris for summer purple. I have two pairs of black galaxy tights with purple in them, a pair of purple 'space dye' or whatever the pattern is called fleece lined tights, and definitely four long sleeve running tops that are purple if not more. I also have one purple running jacket and a purple windbreaker/rain jacket. I also have purple headbands so all together I should have something purple each day even if it's just my shoes or headband. The local running store (where I get my local running group clothes) is having a sale on Friday so maybe I'll see if they have any purple shirts I can pick up. My one pair of shoes is almost done so I'll start wearing in a purple pair which should have about 20mi on them by marathon weekend. Not sure if I'll wear the new pair for shorter or longer races, it will depend on how they seem to be wearing in.

Great week of running and I'm glad you are finally starting to heal up from your battle wounds.

*note to self* Do not try Science in Sport watery Orange fuel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!