I never went to disney as a child - What are your can't miss items?

Lostinwdw

Earning My Ears
My family never had the money to go. Now I'm dragging my Fla husband to wdw. I don't want to be disappointed.

I am however very frustrated trying to decide where to stay and what to do.

We also didn't have the funds to go to WDW when I was young but I'm taking full advantage now.
First of all, to make the most of your time there, stay on property and try to get there during an off high season time.
When you are at an on-site hotel, all transportation is worryless and you save so much time.
It's a great idea to take a mid-afternoon break, as the guides say, and go back to the hotel for a rest and maybe some poolside fun.
ENJOY!
:earseek:

I could not go as a child either. So, I have gone three times since an adult...well...I say adult, my DH and kids beg to differ.
I am worse than the kids.

Stay on site, take a rest just like cobird2 suggested.

As far as rides or attractions, it all depends on what you like.

Pirates...great ride and when you get to the part where the ships are shooting at each other, look up.
I had an argument about this recently with someone and she thought I was wrong. I said , No way! You are wrong. You will understand when you get there.

Love Haunted mansion, Dumbo ride, Buzz lightyear...make sure you spin the car around!

Lots and lots of stuff to do and see. Have a Mickey ice cream bar.
Make lots of fun and happy memories, take your time, don't rush and enjoy yourself.

BTW, you are permitted to act like a child once you see the castle.
Have a great time!!

Lisa

Hi

Don't get frustrated first of all!!!! The first time I went to WDW I was 37... So there are alot of people out there in your shoes... On site is great but if funds are tight, most of the name brand hotels around are nice too..You spend so little time in the room that it not a big thing...Just relax and any questions you have ....just ask...the people in this forum, they are quite informative.:wave:.... Just grab the pixie dust and let the magic begin....

Congrats on deciding to go to Disney. Don't fret. Tackle one thing at a time. There are tons of things to do especially when you have never been before. Please keep in mind that you will not be able to do everything there on one visit so that just makes you have to return sometime later for another vacation. My advice is as follows:

1st, create your budget and come up with an amount of time that you want to visit (4 days, 7 days, 10 days, etc.). Disney for 2 adults can easily reach what two could visit Europe for. Once you have come up with a reasonable budget go from there.

2nd, decide on what tickets you want. If your only going for 4 or 5 days, then get the 4 or 5 day park hopper passes. For a short amount of time, you don't need the pluses as you'll be in the parks all day and may be too tired to go to Pleasure Island at night anyway. If your planning for 6 to 7 days then get the Park hopper plus passes as you may have a night or two to spend at Pleasure Island. If your planning to do 8 days or more or return within the same year, you may want to buy the Annual pass.

3rd pick your hotel now depending on your budget and also if your depending on Disney's transportation or if your driving/renting a vehicle. It is great for your first time to stay on property but only if you can afford it. If your flying and not renting, I would say stay on site. If you are driving or renting a vehicle you have a lot more options. (Reason I say this is offsite hotels have strict pickup times few and far between and should you wish to return to your hotel for a break midday, then you will have to call a cab to return. Only exception is staying at DTD hotels, which run their own buses to Disney property 2 times per hour). My personal opinion regarding onsite hotels is stay anywhere but the AS (if you like to swim in a pool with 75 other kids then by all means stay here). If the prices are too high, check into the DTD resorts or look into bidding on priceline (check out site called biddingfortravel - great for bidding on priceline for Orlando hotels). Go with your instincts when picking your hotel and go for it.

Lastly, make a few plans for the parks, ie. which parks and the best day(s) to visit then make just a few ressie's for restuarants for something special.

Like I said, tackle these one at a time and do a little research on this discussion board and maybe one book (try Passporter or Unofficial WDW guide).

As for those magical/special things - you must see all of the shows, Illuminations at Epcot, Fantasmic at MGM and Spectromagic and Fireworks show at MK. Do a little bit of everything and the magic will find you.

I also never went as a child- my first trip was last Christmas time (with family) -looking at my sig line you can tell I'm trying to make up for lost time eh? LOL

I can't really add much to what everyone else said about what not to miss/etc- except just see all the parades. They are my favorite things to watch again on video or look at in the pictures and remember. I don't know why.... but they are just especially magical the first time. :) My very first one I saw was Christmas night... I'll never forget it! :)

Hi Lostinwdw,

If you've got the budget, I'd certainly suggest staying in a WDW hotel. Try www.Mousesavers.com for discount codes you can use to get good rates on Disney resorts.

Depending on how long you go, I'd suggest two days for the Magic Kingdom, two days for Epcot, and one each for the Animal Kingdom and Disney-MGM Studios. If you've got less time, the Magic Kingdom is a must-see no matter what.

As yecats said, too, a guidebook will probably help with the planning. These boards are a wealth of information, too. Drop me a line if there's anything we can help you with at the Unofficial Guide: testa@ncat.edu.

Sincerely,

Len Testa

Your budget dictates where to stay and for how long. One thing I would suggest is do not miss an attraction simply becuase you are not sure you will like it. The most common thing I have heard is I did not do such and such because I did not think I would like it. Then it turned out to be one of thier favorites. It is very easy for me to go into super duper commando when thier. Try to pace yourself. You would be surprise what you can do. Have a great and magical trip.

First, don't try to do it all in one visit. It's just not possible and you will get exhausted. Planning is key, pace yourselves and take in a variety of what WDW has to offer. Then, you can hit other spots on your next visit!

Get a few good guides such as Frommer's, Birnbaum's and the Unofficial Guide to WDW. Each has a different take on things. Then make good use of sites like this one and ask questions.

If you are a newbie to WDW, you must at least visit each of the parks. Give yourselves at least a day each at the MK, DAK and MGM and two days at Epcot.

At the MK, take in the classic rides such as Pirates, the Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Small World and even Dumbo. I'd say, do these first to get a feel for the beginnings of Disney's theming and technology. Then if you have time see the Hall of Presidents. It's the next generation of audio-animatronics. After that, enjoy the "mountains" as well as the kiddie rides, parades and other amusements. Be a kid, nobody will laugh at you.

MGM has marvelous rides as well as stage shows which should not be missed. Here you will get a feel for Disney as a production company. The Magic of Disney Animation is one attraction that I love since it gives both history and live demos (when you go during working hours) of the process involved to create an animated film. On the Great Movie Ride watch as the new generation of audio-animatronics entertains you.

DAK is a park still growing and ever changing due to its theme. This is a park you must take your time with to enjoy. Animals go at their pace. Talk to the CM's there who are very knowledgeable and willing to offer advice and info.

Epcot is a joy. There is a surface splash of activity and color. There are also hidden treasures to be found and that takes time to find and savor. I suggest two days (minimum) so you can devote a day to each half. In Future World, play and explore the universe and life in it's many aspects. Set your imagination free, venture into the inner you on Body Wars then the outer universe of Space (just do it before lunch). Play with everything from water to high tech toys. Another day, explore the World and it's cultures in World Showcase. Don't forget the shows held in each Country. Chat with the CM's in each Country, who often come from regions within each. They are some of the best guides to what you are experiencing.

After the parks, leave yourselves some time and energy for other attractions such as Pleasure Island, a water park or two, Resort tours, sports, etc. WDW is HUGE and truly offers something for all ages.

Enjoy it!

I was 27 when I first went to WDW. This one thread has helped me know that I am definitely NOT alone.

I can't really add to the great tips everyone has given you. I just want to reiterated 2 points already made because I think they are so important.

1) Do as many of the parades as possible and do ALL of the nighttime spectacles (Fantasmic! at MGM, Illuminations at Epcot, Fantasy in the Sky/Wishes fireworks at MK).

2) You will NOT be able to do everything/everywhere. Don't even try.

Have a great time!

I didn't go to WDW until I was an adult. I was so excited that I was actually sick when I got there! My one suggestion is to just make sure that you take the time to take all the wonder and magic in. One of the things that makes WDW so special is all of the small details that you may miss if you don't take the time to look.

Oh! And remember - everyone is young at WDW. Don't be afraid to enjoy every moment. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

:p

... When I was a kid, it was Cinderella Castle that represented the most magic for me. So, as an adult who wants to capture the child in herself, I try to make a PS for a character breakfast in MK. I try to schedule it before the parks open so we can walk down Main Street and see the castle with almost no people in the way.

And, since we have no children of our own, we try to avoid the Princess character breakfast in the castle since it is always impossible to get a ressie and I would rather let a little princess get in there, not us. We usually go to Crystal Palace for the Pooh breakfast. :D

Enjoy!

As a fellow traveler whose first trip to Disney was at age 25 (and Solo I might add), here's a few tips for the wise.

1. Wear comfortable already broken in shoes. You will be walking a great deal and there is nothing more aggrevating than blisters!!

2. Don't be a slave to fashion. Don't wear anything that you might not want ruined. There is a potential on some rides to get wet and you never know when you might sit in something nasty.

3. Check the weather forcast, but bring a little from each season. On one visit they had an unseasonable cold snap and we had to spring for sweatshirts. I've heard of it being 80 in January and 58 in April so be prepared.

4. Learn how to use the Fast Pass system and save yourself precious time in line.

5. If you have even the slightest bit of problem with motion sickness or queasiness, I would caution you to heed the ride warnings and don't let anyone presure you into riding something that you have concerns about. Nothing worse than getting sick (or feeling like it) to ruin your afternoon (this is from personal experience).

That said, I'll give a quick rundown of some of my favorite experiences at Disney:

MK: Peter Pan, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise

Epcot: Test Track, Maelstrom (in Norway), the ride in Mexico

MGM: Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast, Backlot Tour

AK: Tarzan, Kali River Rapids

I'll reiterate again what has been said: Pace yourself. You won't be able to do it all in one trip(My 5th trip is in Nov. and I'm still finding things I've never done). Good excuse to have to go back!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter