I never understood

For those who don’t want to wait to ride it, it means giving up a front view of the castle during fireworks, but we discovered by accident our first trip that since they close fantasyland for the fireworks, most people leave the area and good deal exit the park right after. So we watch the fireworks on the low walls heading towards BOG, and as soon as fantasyland is open again, we can pretty much walk on all the rides except 7DMT. We love the magic of no lines more than a front view of the castle fireworks. And you actually get a pretty good view from back there of the fireworks themselves, just not whatever else is being projected.

There is a combination of factors, as others have said it is a low capacity (although higher capacity at Disney World since it is a continuous loader), it is a classic, it is one of the few opening day attractions left at Disneyland and you get to "fly" which very few attractions offer at any theme park, especially ones that are available for any age and height to ride.

Our daughter in law LOVES 2 things the most....going on Peter Pan. and.....staying at Boardwalk Villas...
EXACTLY what my (adult) daughter would say. Peter Pan ride is always every day we are at MK.
Requests BWV always... even though BCV is my home resort.

My DS loves that ride! Next to Small World and Dumbo, it's his favorite. Last month, he asked to ride it every single day that we went to MK. When we got home, he watched the movie for the first time and now it's his favorite movie, too.

Our kids love the movie and the ride, the only ride they love more is the Haunted Mansion. They're kinda weird for such small kids.

On my first trip to Magic Kingdom (in 2006), in my naivety I asked a CM at another ride nearby that had no line, why the line for Peter Pan was so long. His answer was that it has a good story, with a happy ending.

Despite the parks being absolutely crazy this weekend, Between about 8:45 PM and closing on Sunday, we were able to ride Jingle Cruise (fast Pass), BTMR, Splash Mountain and Pirates all in the last hour. We did not watch the fireworks, but saw them from from both BTMR and Splash. You do have to watch and look at the lines, at that time both BTMR and Splash Mountain were showing a 40 and 20 minute wait respectively, and both were complete walk ons.

A great strategy is RD and closing, especially if you can go back to your room mid day for a while.

We had a fp for it this morning and rode for the first time. The 4 of us loved it. I didn’t know what to expect but knew it had been packed every time we walked by. It was great for my husband and I who know and love the movie and my girls who have never seen it, loved it anyway bc it’s a boat that flys!! Lol

My kids love the movie; not sure where OP got the idea that kids don't watch it any more. The flying effect is a fun novelty for them too. I love the charm of it and it's nice that it has no height limit.

That said, I would never ride without a fastpass or rope drop. I'll never understand people who wait 2-3 hours for anything at WDW--just not worth it for me.

It’s a low capacity ride. Those boats only hold 2 to 3 and the ride itself is slow. That contributes to the lines. But yes, kids still watch it and love it. As do the adults.
Having been fortunate enough to experience Shanghai’s version of PP, an “easy” fix would be to convert the ride vehicles from one to two rows, instantly doubling the ride capacity. “Easy” would essentially entail an engineering restructuring of the current ride system, but conventional wisdom doesn’t lend itself to believing this as being an irrational consideration.

Not if you do RD

While everyone else is hotfooting it to Mine train, we are in the SB queue for PP/ I love the queue and would stand in tht line just for the Pixie Dust! LOL!

I haven't been on the ride yet, but the movie has always been one of my 7-year old's favorites.

Make a point of getting there at RD and let her go through the SB queue. FP is noce, but you give up the Darling House.

Why does Peter Pan consistently have one of the longest lines in Magic Kingdom? Do children still watch Peter Pan these days with all of the newer movies available? It's always seemed odd to me..
Every time we go my husband says the same thing.

It's a great ride (our favourite queue), however the long line is directly to do with hourly ride capacity. Most estimate that Peter Pan has an hourly ride capacity of about 750 people. In contrast to other hourly ride capacities like:

Small World - 3000
Haunted Mansion - 3200
Pirates - 3200

So, with the ability to load 4 times as many people as Peter Pan, it goes to follow that these rides have wait times that are only about 1/4 of Peter Pan's. Make sense?
I will share these numbers with my husband when he inevitably comments on how crazy he finds the posted waits for that ride next trip lol

I admit we skipped this ride our first few trips because none of my kids have been into PP and DH doesn't like lines - but we rope dropped it a few years again and make it a point to go on once a trip now. I agree with the others that it is fun, nice to go with the whole family, and really holds up over time.

By the waves of responses, it's so incredibly evident how passionate people are about this classic! I'd never want to see it go, but won't be breaking myself to get on anytime soon either.

Personally I think the ride should be shut down. That movie is chock full of racist and sexist language, behaviors, and attitudes. It’s horrible. It needs to be shoved into the dust bin of history and forgotten.

Personally I think the ride should be shut down. That movie is chock full of racist and sexist language, behaviors, and attitudes. It’s horrible. It needs to be shoved into the dust bin of history and forgotten.

Glad you are in the minority!! Don't know a single soul that has the same attitude toward it, thankfully!!

We make it a FP when travelling with my parents because it is my dad's favorite ride... for such a serious man, he loves flying to neverland! I am planning to get a tattoo sleeve done of a scene next year.... so yeah, we like it just a little bit:rolleyes:

Come to think of it, they should probably just delete all pre-90s movies from the historical record, for the same reasons. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter