I never understood

Why does Peter Pan consistently have one of the longest lines in Magic Kingdom? Do children still watch Peter Pan these days with all of the newer movies available? It's always seemed odd to me..

My six year old loves Peter Pan, he was Captain Hook for Halloween this year and I know our trip is going to be heavy on Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion rides.
It is a loved classic also its a slow loading ride which contributes to wait times.

My first trip here was in 1972 with my parents and grandparents, all of whom are gone now. I was riding last week with my son, DDIL and grandchildren, and remembering my getting my parents and grandparents to ride. They had thought it was a kiddie ride. Though my dad and grandparents never came to Disney again, my mother and I would ride every time we'd come. In 1972, it was fresh and innovative, and once again, an immersive experience as opposed to a thrill ride.

We skip the ride because of the line. It's not worth it for us to waste a fastpass on it either. But do note, we are a group age 23 plus, stay offsite (limiting fastpasses), and just do one MK visit per trip. 7DMT is another ride we can never get a fastpass for, and while cute and fun, it's the other one we skip that we would do if the line were shorter.

I remember being 6 years old on my first trip to Disney. There were a ton of car on track rides. I remember being nervous to turn the wheel to the wrong side on those because I didn’t want to break it.

We got on the Peter Pan boat, and I thought it was another car and track. Just different theming - cool, but nothing special in my 6 year old brain. I asked my mother, who said “We will see.” Then we turned the corner, and flew.

It is a simple ride with simple technology, but it was magical. It will always be one of my favorites.

We skip the ride because of the line. It's not worth it for us to waste a fastpass on it either. But do note, we are a group age 23 plus, stay offsite (limiting fastpasses), and just do one MK visit per trip. 7DMT is another ride we can never get a fastpass for, and while cute and fun, it's the other one we skip that we would do if the line were shorter.

7D is another ride where you can find short waits if you’re patient and can wait until later in the evening.

We ridden it several times without FP and our longest wait was 20 minutes during opening week in 2014.

We found a 10 minute wait shortly after fireworks just a few months ago so nothing seems to have changed.

7D is another ride where you can find short waits if you’re patient and can wait until later in the evening.

We ridden it several times without FP and our longest wait was 20 minutes during opening week in 2014.

We found a 10 minute wait shortly after fireworks just a few months ago so nothing seems to have changed.

After fireworks sounds like a great strategy. That won't work for us on our next trip though. DS wants to do MK on our last day, and we will just be in the park from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and will need to leave right after the fireworks at 8 p.m. due to being offsite visitors and that being a day with EMH between 8 and 11. As we stated in an earlier post, fortunately for us 7DMT and Peter Pan are skippable. Without those two we have a touring plan with usage of FPs that will work great for us to hit everything else we want to do and have very reasonable wait times (touringplan.com projections and projections regarding FPs we should be able to get -- I'm basing that on past experience).

PP and 7DMT are the two rides we won't do that we would if lines were shorter / they were less popular.

For us 7DMT has always been a time sucker. The two times we rode it in the past - both in November (once at a sold out Christmas party after the second parade Nov. 2015 and the second time on a non party day in party season Nov. 2017 -- high crowd level (6 projected, but actual crowd level ended up being an eight) (two different trips) the line for 7DMT both times said a 45 minute wait, but actual wait time was more than an hour, almost an hour and 15 minutes (definitely not worth it), even though the ride is darling. We're two and done unless popularity drops considerably and we see super short lines on a line app. Touringplan.com with their models is projecting high popularity of both of those rides for our next trip.

Our two sons are now in their 40’s. Peter Pan was one son’s and Figment (Kodak) was the other’s son’s favorite ride in the ‘80’s, and so we always ride them now, with the DGC when possible!

Not if you do RD

And even then, make sure you're near the front of the rope drop, not somewhere further back in the hub. My mistake was thinking I could still stroll on up to the ride (not having seen the queue at WDW before). When I arrived, the queue seemed deceptively short, but I realized too late that there were already 55 minutes worth of people packed inside.

Of course, the queue is actually as spectacular as the ride itself, so I didn't mind it at the end. Probably could've walked onto 3 headliner attractions on the west side during that same amount of time though.

As much of a WDW lover as I am, I'll go against the grain here and say PP is "meh". I do like it for the nostalgia factor and ride it every trip. At the same time, I don't find it all that impressive of an attraction, especially because the acoustics are so amazingly bad. I'd never wait more than 10-15 minutes for it. We always get FP+ for it. Thankfully they're not that hard to get same day.

It's such a blah ride. But it's one of a few for very young kids meaning the whole family can ride. Once dd could do the mountains, no more PPan for us as we don't fp it and use rd for other rides. One time it had 30 min wait and she had no interest.

Why does Peter Pan consistently have one of the longest lines in Magic Kingdom? Do children still watch Peter Pan these days with all of the newer movies available? It's always seemed odd to me..
It's the "perfect storm" for a ride, slow loader, ultimate classic dark ride, all ages can ride it.
If we can snag a FP we ride it, if not, we'll probably by pass it this time as my kids don't see it as a *must do*. Although having said that, maybe we'll do it on the way out at close this time
The slow loader, nostalgia, all ages can ride it, etc. are the biggest factors. Flying ships, pirates, fairies, mermaids...are all neat to young children.

However, Disney keeps Peter Pan relevant with things like Tinkerbell movies and also Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

I’m not a big Peter Pan fan so the ride has never really appealed to me either. I grew up going to Disneyland and while I have memories of it, there were certainly rides that were more impactful on my little child mind. I distinctly remember making my parents ride it’s a small world 5 times in a row on a very chilly day lol.

Since there isn’t really any nostalgic feeling attach to Peter Pan for me, I tend to skip it. I’m just not willing to wait that long.

Because, "You can fly, you can fly, you can fly!". The ride at DW could use a bit of tender love and care though, needs some serious cleaning and repainting of some of the blacklight paint, but it's a wonderful classic that gets a WOW out of lots of folks. We took my daughter on as her first ride at Disney World and she tried to get right back on as soon as we got off.

In my experience it was always long, but got longer with FP (just like all the rides that weren’t FP rides then got it) It was a long line even in 2010 during our first trip. And of course it’s king all day every day at Disneyland, without FP.
But if the ride already has limited capacity, then FP might have a bigger impact.

I haven't been on the ride yet, but the movie has always been one of my 7-year old's favorites.

It's a personal thing to me, but I love the fact that it's a flying ride. You're not just in a car or a boat or a honeypot riding around past the sets. You're in a flying ship passing right through the middle of the sets! PPF is usually in my FP choices.

I never got why it had that long a line either. To me, it's not a TERRIFIC ride. It's GOOD. But not 80 minute wait TERRIFIC. It's always been the one out of place ride (with maybe Pooh being second on that list).

However, part of it to me is that last time I did it standby, we got to the front of the line - as in we were the next person for the CM and waited - I kid you not - 15 minutes before they let us on and just let FP+ go the entire time. The ride capacity is 90% full with FP+ and leaves almost no room for standby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter