• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I need videotaping tips

josierac

DIS Veteran
I tried searching back but didn't come up with much. So I would like to start another thread on videotaping in Disney.

We have just decided to go for a few days and want to video tape some stuff for the kids (and us) to watch when we get home.

:D it's happened on every single trip...my DH had recorded various things, then forgot to hit that "record" button a second time to stop the taping...last trip, we got about 10 minutes of people's feet as the camera hung around his neck, until the next time he started to tape...and this trip we have 22 minutes of what the inside of our backpack looks like as I wore it and walked through the park! *grin*

Don't spend so much time focusing on recording that you miss out on enjoying the parade, show , fireworks ect!! I did this at fanatamic and now I wish that I had just enjoyed the show and not worried so much about getting a good shot!!

Grover in Winnipeg
:smooth:

I've taped just about everything, including things you are not
supposed to tape: Parades, Fireworks, HM, TOT, Lion King,
Mermaid, BTMR and Fantasmic just to name a few. The main
thing is to not draw attention to yourself. I have that tell tale
flashing red light taped so no one can tell and I turn up or cover
the view finder which can give you away like a search light. I
also bought a neck strap and stand combo (Best Buy) which
worked nicely for shows like Fantasmic. I just set the camera
on my leg and it was like having a tripod. No need to hold it up
through the whole show. They are great to watch on Sunday
nights!

Disnee Dad says..................................Go ahead and tape , but only on a couple of preplanned days. On our last trip we filmed Illuminations, Main Street Electrical Parade, Test track and just a couple other minutes of us. This November we will do more of us, especially at the pool and in our rooms where it doesn't slow us down at all. Maybe plan an off day, visit the resorts and film that. If you film at the parks, do it toward the end of your trip, just in case you are behind plan, then you can skip the filming and save it for the next trip. And there will be a next trip!!

(copied from another post)

When taping fireworks or Christmas lights, try to adjust the camcorder (if possible) to get the best color of the fireworks or lights in the viewfinder. Here, don't try to make dusk look like daylight with the people in the clearest view, the lights may get washed out or lose their color.

Other travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

1.Decide ahead of time when you will tape,ie EE Tomorrowland
2.what to shot,ie kids enjoying sights,characters,parades
3.where to shoot from or not to shoot from,ie not from behind because your family ran to look at ? leaving you in their wake.

So,the plan is Mk,Fantasyland,Dumbo ride line,afew poses,and Q&A[is dumbo your fav?are you excited? What do you think it will be like?] and then the ride both from the ride but also faces of riders as they ride,and the post ride Q&A [was that fun? what was the best part?]

Definately tape the small stuff! Most of what my husband and I talk about we never videotaped! Like the courtyards and the food court! We remember the mushroom smell outside our room like yesterday, but never videotaped the bus stop or grounds outside our room! We also talked about how the windows were ALWAYS dripping with water from the humidity and yet we dont have photos of that either! We dont have video of our bus rides which for us were memorable because of the wild ride we took with a wacky driver!

Video parts of your dinner, or waiting for a ride! Most of all, plan your days of video. Don't take it every single place you go. Make sure you have backpack free, and arms free days. Otherwise your camera will become a burden and you wont use it as often!

Most of all, HAVE A BLAST! Wish I were going!

Sony gives a little pamphlet with there camcorders with tips. One big one is they say limit your shots to 8 seconds. Now i think thats a little excessive, you'de have a tape of 4000 little snipets. But the point is- take the shot and move on, you dont need every second of every day on the tape. Just tape the relevant stuff- you and especially all the reletives you show the tape to later will appreciate it.

For instance if you bring the camcorder to a character breakfast. You dont need to tape junior eating for 30 minutes. Just tape when the characters come by, etc.

tink2dw- had a neat point about the Q&A.

And the other points about dont bring the camera every place every day are right on. It gets annoying after a while- you cant put it down or leave it anywhere.

And you don't want to take the steps Bob suggested and attempt to "get by" with taping anyway, here is an idea of where they do NOT want you to tape. If the attraction has a tape or film as a part of the attraction, they do not want you to tape in it. Does this make sense as I stated it? What I mean is that in places like Ellen's Energy attraction and Alien Encounter, which have films of Ellen and the Aliens, Disney does not wish you to make a tape of this. The reason for this is that the films in the attractions are copyrighted. The only way you can get by with taping is either to do a good job of hiding the fact you are taping or that the CM is not paying much attention to whether or not people are taping. Some CMs realize that the "no taping" requirement is a stretch, and don't make a big issue of it. Then others make themselves out to be "big brother" and will watch you like a hawk. The reason I say that the "no taping" rule is a stretch is that individuals taping for their own home enjoyment are no threat to the copyright laws. Who's going to see the tape besides you and your immediate family? In other words, WHO CARES! But by law, Disney has to make an effort to prevent taping or filming of copyrighted material.

You may tape freely any of the live action shows. This is a bit different than what would be the case if you were NOT at Disney. Most performers do NOT wish you to tape their shows. Disney evidently has an agreement with them to allow themselves to be filmed.

You may also tape most rides, like Splash Mountain, etc. Be careful in these rides that you do not either get your camera wet or lose your grip on the camera and drop it.

Good luck, and take the advise about not taping so much that all you can remember of the parks after your visit is how everything looked through a viewfinder. LOL.

If you have a camera that has the little screen you watch in while you are taping and you tape somewhere that has reduced light (like Pirates of the Caribbean), you WILL disturb anyone sitting behind you who can see that bright triangle of light throughout their ride. I don't know if there is anyway to turn off that display, but it can be very distracting to those trying to enjoy the attraction in person.

Here's a tip I learned from previous WDW trips, and a couple of Caribbean cruises. Make sure that you give the camera time to get acclimated to the heat and humidity!!!! Condensation can build up in the workings of the camera when its taken from the cold,(A/C),and then outside., which can cause problems. Leave it in it's carrying case for at least 1/2 or so, after you get outside, from spending the night in your air-conditioned accomodations. Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter