updated:I need to win on buzz and toy story

planningjollyholiday

DIS Veteran
I have been the reigning champion in my family for years when it comes to getting the highest score on buzz and toy story. Last year I was dethroned by my husband on both rides. I can't handle another defeat and need to step up my game. Anyone have any tips or tricks to achieve a high score on these rides?

I have been the reigning champion in my family for years when it comes to getting the highest score on buzz and toy story. Last year I was dethroned by my husband on both rides. I can't handle another defeat and need to step up my game. Anyone have any tips or tricks to achieve a high score on these rides?
For Buzz, you need to talk with WonkaKid! Give him a shout out or send him a PM! The photo below is from one of his recent trips (posted here: Happy Halloween from The first person in the park today!) -- note all the spots taken by ROB? He's your guy!
c6b07ff7-700c-40ae-b7b1-4f63267f3670-jpeg.362399

Last edited:
Rob has great tips. He was kind enough to share some with me when I introduced myself after exiting Buzz one day. BUT, he doesn’t do Toy Story and I’d love some tips on that one, so I hope you get some good ones! :)

Ha ha! Thanks, everyone, for the shout-outs and kind words. Yes, @planningjollyholiday, I'm happy to help. Here are my time-tested tips for rocking Buzz Lightyear:

· Only ever shoot diamonds (5,000 points) and triangles (10,000 points – 50,000 when lit). Shoot squares only when lit (5000 points). As I explained to two girls in line behind me recently, shooting one triangle is the scoring equivalent to shooting 100 circles. Don’t waste time on circles.

· Shoot targets multiple times, not just once. I often leave the first room with 250,000 – 300,000 points.

· If you have trouble hitting targets, take a moment to shoot at a blank wall to determine if your gun is shooting high, low or to one side. Often times that’s the key. Not all guns are created equal ;-).

· Make a note of where the triangle targets are and go for them as often as possible. For example, in the second to last room (where the second Zurg is), there’s one behind you as you near the exit. You have to shoot the circle beneath it to make it pop up. That alone -- hitting it ten times -- can earn players at least 100,000 points.

· This won’t be an issue for most players, but be aware that if you exceed approximately 2,096,900, your score will reset and you’ll lose everything. This happens to me regularly and it’s very frustrating. The challenge is that once you exceed 1M points, the cruiser will only display 999999. You’ll need to keep track (or try to) in your head. This has been an issue for the past 20 months or so. I’ve raised it with Disney a few times but I think it unlikely that they’ll ever fix it. Indeed, I was told by Disney only today that the ride was always meant not to allow players to exceed that score. The way it performs now is the way it was always intended to.

· On a related note, scores above 1M will only display at the photo kiosks at the ride exit. Lately (always?) there’ve been problems with scores flowing through with pictures or scores coming through with no accompanying photo. I’ve also raised this issue with Disney and hopefully it will be corrected.

Hope these help! @planningjollyholiday -- when is your next trip to DL planned? I'd like to hear how you do. I go nearly every Sunday, unless I'm sick or out of town.​

Last edited:
Do you ever get point for shooting the targets when they are not lit up?

If you google how to do well on Toy Story Midway Mania you can find a few websites with good tips. But nothing like the advice WonkaKid just gave for Buzz.

Do you ever get point for shooting the targets when they are not lit up?
Yes, every target will earn you points. It's just that points are doubled (or in some cases, quintupled) when targets are lit.

The best advice I have for Toy Story is to focus on higher level targets, and don't forget you can snipe them from the other side of the screen if there are no good targets on "your" side (or if you want to prevent your husband from getting them). Watch the front/back/edges of the area because they sneak a lot of high level ones in there. I always have a substantial lead over my partner until we get to the bonus round where you just fire as fast as you can, and then I lose terribly.

I've only been on Buzz once or maybe twice and I feel like I must have missed the instructions. I don't know how you can tell what you're hitting, or if you're only supposed to hit the lit targets or all targets, if you can hit them multiple times or just once, or if more than one person can get the same target. Only just now reading this thread did I learn that the shapes denote point value. Maybe I'll have to try it again one day after studying up.

· If you have trouble hitting targets, take a moment to shoot at a blank wall to determine if your gun is shooting high, low or to one side. Often times that’s the key. Not all guns are created equal ;-).

How can you tell if your gun is shooting wrong? Is there a laser dot or something so you can see it?

I much prefer Toy Story to Buzz. I'm not amazing, but my highest score is about 220,000 which is pretty good (enough to get me highest in vehicle but not highest of the day/month/year). There are tricks in almost every game, but the best ones I've found are the volcano one and the alien one. Look online for how to get a lot of points on those.

Ha ha! Thanks, everyone, for the shout-outs and kind words. Yes, @planningjollyholiday, I'm happy to help. Here are my time-tested tips for rocking Buzz Lightyear:

· Only ever shoot diamonds (5,000 points) and triangles (10,000 points – 50,000 when lit). Shoot squares only when lit (5000 points). As I explained to two girls in line behind me recently, shooting one triangle is the scoring equivalent to shooting 100 circles. Don’t waste time on circles.

· Shoot targets multiple times, not just once. I often leave the first room with 250,000 – 300,000 points.

· Make a note of where the triangle targets are and go for them as often as possible. For example, in the second to last room (where the second Zurg is), there’s one behind you as you near the exit. You have to shoot the circle beneath it to make it pop up. That alone -- hitting it ten times -- can earn players at least 100,000 points.

· This won’t be an issue for most players, but be aware that if you exceed approximately 2,096,900, your score will reset and you’ll lose everything. This happens to me regularly and it’s very frustrating. The challenge is that once you exceed 1M points, the cruiser will only display 999999. You’ll need to keep track (or try to) in your head. This has been an issue for the past 20 months or so. I’ve raised it with Disney a few times but I think it unlikely that they’ll ever fix it. Indeed, I was told by Disney only today that the ride was always meant not to allow players to exceed that score. The way it performs now is the way it was always intended to.

· On a related note, scores above 1M will only display at the photo kiosks at the ride exit. Lately (always?) there’ve been problems with scores flowing through with pictures or scores coming through with no accompanying photo. I’ve also raised this issue with Disney and hopefully it will be corrected.

Hope these help! @planningjollyholiday -- when is your next trip to DL planned? I'd like to hear how you do. I go nearly every Sunday, unless I'm sick or out of town.​
One of these days I'm gonna find you in the parks and ride this with you. ;)

I can attest to the advice @WonkaKid gave as being a huge help. Before today my highest scores were in the 100Ks today I went on multiple times in a row and cleared 300K every game not as good as Rob, but for it being the first time I knew what I was doing I'd say it's a pretty big improvement.

From what I've seen the triangle targets are usually "hidden" but I've found 2 in each room except for the first Zurg room. Don't be discouraged if you need to ride multiple times to find all of them and start getting high scores.

Thankyou so much for the amazing thorough tips! We will be there the last week of November, and I will definitely give an update on my results. I'm really hoping I can pull out a win!!!

Thankyou so much for the amazing thorough tips! We will be there the last week of November, and I will definitely give an update on my results. I'm really hoping I can pull out a win!!!

You're welcome! I look forward to your update. I'll be there on Thanksgiving and on Sundays (I'm always there on Sunday unless I'm sick or out of town).

Rob, I think you should start leading weekly tours, "Adventures on Buzz!" You could teach us how to increase our scores (or score at all in my case!). Sort of like the DIS BLAB version of Jedi Training. :)
That would be fun. Perhaps we can get that together one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter