I need some unbiased opinions...

:scratchin The one thing that strikes me is how you keep referring to them as your MIL & FIL - no reference to the fact that these are your husband`s parents. Out of respect for him, who is likely grieving his mother and may actually want to be closer to his dad this year, tell your DH your feelings and let him decide. If he agrees that it would be best to exclude his dad, let him explain it to them.
All due respect you have no idea what her husband is feeling. Don’t speak for him.

All due respect you have no idea what her husband is feeling. Don’t speak for him.
:confused3 No, I don't have any idea because the OP hasn't mentioned it. He may be equally estranged from them as the OP. Either way, in my "unbiased opinion" (which is what the thread title requested), in fairness, his feelings should be factored in and if hard decisions are made, he should handle them with his family.

:confused3 No, I don't have any idea because the OP hasn't mentioned it. He may be equally estranged from them as the OP. Either way, in my "unbiased opinion" (which is what the thread title requested), in fairness, his feelings should be factored in and if hard decisions are made, he should handle them with his family.
Agreed and that’s why these posts are tough. We never know the whole story. Even if all involved were on these boards. There is Always another side

It sounds like a large gathering if there are multiple families involved. You won't be babysitting your FIL...let him mingle with others. He's probably lonely after all.

He's dealt with a spouse that passed from a terrible disease. That certainly deserves some compassion!

Plus, you never know?? Your relationship with FIL could change for the better now that MIL is gone.

I think it's best to invite him. Is it possible that he will opt out of one event simply because it's a LOT of people to see in a short span of time, especially considering he doesn't really know them well? Maybe you can be clear and say that he is welcome to come, but is under no obligation to come if he'd rather not. Either way, they sound like large events with lots of people. There's got to be a cranky uncle he can hang out and commiserate with?

OP, I see that your "Need objective opinions" thread is already being derailed a bit.
I will try to give you my most objective thoughts.

First, I did not have a positive relationship with my inlaws. ( I think they meet the same description you gave.)
I do understand how you feel. And, I agree with that!!!
So, know that in that respect, I am with you.

However, being objective, if your FIL now lives with your brother, and things are so interwoven, I don't think a major family holiday such as thanksgiving is the time to make "only the ones that I consider MY side", a factor.

You do have all the other dates and times of the year to see 'your side' without inlaws.

Trying to be objective, personally, even though I could easily do without seeing my inlaws most every time... I don't think this the time or place to draw lines or sides.

Unless there are bigger issues, and both the brother and husband agree that FIL should not be there at your Thanksgiving, then I think you have to go with it.

Last edited:
It sounds like a large gathering if there are multiple families involved. You won't be babysitting your FIL...let him mingle with others. He's probably lonely after all.

He's dealt with a spouse that passed from a terrible disease. That certainly deserves some compassion!

Plus, you never know?? Your relationship with FIL could change for the better now that MIL is gone.

These are my thoughts as well. Sounds like there will be plenty of people there and you won't really have to interact with him too much. Who knows, there may end up being some people there who get along with him well.

Unless his behavior is wildly inappropriate, he should be included.

I think if he wasn't now living with family it might make the situation different though this year might still have him included regardless given his recent loss. That said because he does living with family I agree with others he's part of the family that should be invited to these types of events. He's free to decline of course but regardless of the feelings you may have it kinda goes with the situation at hand. Tough spot for all involved really IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter