I Need Outside Input on Job Decision (Long)

mrsapalm

<font color=FF0099>WDWWDS COO & Senior Exec. VP<fo
Here's the situation:
I was with a magazine before my move to Fort Worth last year. My salary was modest (very modest) but I was doing well and loving what I was doing. There were a few things about the job that I disliked very much, but for the better part, I loved it.
Fast forward to this year....
We moved back to Houston, and solely with the initial help of my old boss, I got a job with another division of the company. I love my co-workers (all women close to my age - much in common - socialize with them outside of work), I like my actual job duties, and there is lots of room for advancement. My salary isn't as great due to company-wide cutbacks that occurred before I moved back, but I was promised a raise in the somewhat near future.
I have been back at work for four months now, and I don't expect that I deserve a raise this soon, but I do expect one in the next few months (after 6-month review).
Now my old boss wants to offer me my old job back (as it has now been vacated). There are certain duties that are mandatory that I do not feel comfortable doing (involving outside-of-work-hours-duties) and I would be back in the position of not working with any sort of peer group.
She has given me a couple of days to think it over. I am 90% sure I don't want to leave my current position, but there is a part of me that wants to pursue the direct career track that I was on in the first place.
I need some advice here... Thanks in advance!
-MrsAPalm

I think you already know what to do, Mrs. Palm. :D

Just make sure you refuse your old boss as nicely and graciously as possible so you don't burn a bridge there. You never know, you may need it someday.

That's a tough one. Is your room for advancement in the other position even greater? Would you still be at the same office as your current coworkers? You say you loved your previous duties but only like your current ones -- is that a valid statement, or do you love your current duties too?

Take the coworkers out of the picture -- which would you rather be doing?

JerseyJanice: Thanks for the nice words. :)

Rajah: Here are my "issues" ......
Old job: Boss demanded daily reports of everything I did for the day (can be daunting and a wee bit Big Brother). A mandatory duty would be to attend support group meetings for persons with a particular disease (depressing task) - I feel uncomfortable doing this and most likely will not handle it well... plus it would impede on my weeknights... I simply do not have the outside time or energy to do this. I would *maybe* make a bit more money with this person, and I would be able to write and edit again. Working with one particular staffer, however, is quite uncomfortable, as this person is one of those "I am always right" types.
New Job: For me, the co-workers make the job more comfortable. I do very interesting, but repetitive tasks (a lot of internet research, publication-reading, data-mining) but I also have menial tasks (blast-faxing) that come up every now and then. I like the responsibility (as I am in sales) but I am not writing at this time. There is major room for advancement in a new outlet that I am very interested in.

Aaack!
-MrsAPalm

I don't know about you, but I'd pick what you already have. I think it's great that you have options.

TigerBear: The support groups deal with the subject of the publication - the publisher uses the support groups to distribute magazines, get contact names, and spread general "awareness" of the publication. Not high on my ethics meter....

Serena: I consider myself very lucky for at least having options. When we moved to FW, I couldn't get a job for three months. So, I've been at both ends of the scales....

-MrsAPalm

Sounds to me like you've pretty much made up your mind which would be better, and I'd probably make the same decision. :) I'd also just let your old boss know nicely. :)

I'd stay where you are. I find that having coworkers you get along with is one of the best things you can have at a job. Not having people to talk to makes the days really, really long.

It's also good to be able to see eye-to-eye with your boss. I had a former boss who was very unethical, and I was always worrying about what I should do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!