I Need Help! Not Sure Where To Go!

SoThisIsLove

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone.....

I am in need of some advice. We (myself, Dh and DD3) are planning a trip to CA this July and have no idea what to do besides Disneyland. Right now we have 5 nts at Disney Grand Californian and planned to go to Disney, Universal, Hollywood and maybe Knotts Berry Farm. We have 5 other nights to play with.....we were thinking maybe San Diego for 3 nts and do Sea World, Legoland, and the Zoo.....and then drive to Vegas and stay for 2 nts there and then fly back to NY. But now we are wondering if we should do San Francisico instead of Vegas.....we would fly from San Diego or LAX and then fly home from there.
We've never been to CA and have no idea what to do. We've been to Vegas 6 years ago and loved it but are we missing more by not going to SF? or should we not do San Diego? Is there anything for my DD to enjoy in SF?

Please......any advice????? opinions??????

Thank you!!!!!!!!

There's a Children's Museum across Golden Gate Bridge that was really nice for younger kids. Also the Exploratorium is a great place. Golden Gate Park has an aquarium and other stuff. I'd take San Francisco over Las Vegas. Besides, it will be a lot cooler. The cable cars are fun to ride, too.

With a 3yo in tow, I would not recommend Las Vegas. If you decide on San Francisco, you could also drive down to Monterey. There is a wonderful aquarium there as well as some very scenic shore line.

San Diego is a great place for a 3 year old.

If you do decide to go to SF, DD could enjoy the trolley rides. If this is your first trip to SF, you could try catching a ferry to Sausalito or to Alcatraz. There is also Pier 39. Golden Gate Park is fantastic!
If this is not your first trip to SF and you're thinking of hiring a car but don't want to go as far as Monterey, I'd recommend you drive some of the Skyline Highway and head towards Felton. At Felton, there is Roaring Camp Railway. Either a Steam Train or a Diesel train will take you to Santa Cruz Boardwalk. The ride is about 1 hour. Go early and spend some time at the boardwalk - plenty there for the 3 year old to do.

On your way back, go along the Pacific road. I like Half Moon Bay.

Don't forget, SF now has the Disney Family Museum as well. I really think that SF is more family friendly then Vegas, I'd rather do SF over Vegas and I'm less than an hour from SF. :)
PP mentioned Monterey, if you can do that then do it! The Monterey Bay Aquarium is really neat and Monterey is just a nice place to visit.

You've been given some great advice and I agree with all of it:yay:

I would definitely do SF in July instead of Vegas, especially with a little in tow. There is so much to see and do in SF and the surrounding areas. We love the Monterrey Bay aquarium and could easily spend the day there. I really need to make it down there for the Disney museum!

San Diego is a great city, that we have enjoyed every time on vacation there. The zoo is huge! I suggest getting the bus pass with on and off priveleges as it was a lifesaver!

Have you thought about geting the City Pass for tickets. Seeing as you plan on going so many places it might be a much better deal for you! We did it one year at it saved us a lot of money!

Hi Everyone.....

I am in need of some advice. We (myself, Dh and DD3) are planning a trip to CA this July and have no idea what to do besides Disneyland. Right now we have 5 nts at Disney Grand Californian and planned to go to Disney, Universal, Hollywood and maybe Knotts Berry Farm. We have 5 other nights to play with.....we were thinking maybe San Diego for 3 nts and do Sea World, Legoland, and the Zoo.....and then drive to Vegas and stay for 2 nts there and then fly back to NY. But now we are wondering if we should do San Francisico instead of Vegas.....we would fly from San Diego or LAX and then fly home from there.
We've never been to CA and have no idea what to do. We've been to Vegas 6 years ago and loved it but are we missing more by not going to SF? or should we not do San Diego? Is there anything for my DD to enjoy in SF?

Please......any advice????? opinions??????

Thank you!!!!!!!!

So help me understand....in your 5 nights at GC, you are going to try and fit in DLR, Universal, and possibly Knotts? If so I would really discourage you. With a 3 yo, I would plan on using 4 days to just visit DLR, and maybe one day at an LA beach, then use your other nights to make a homebase in SD, and do legoland, Sw ,and the zoo, and a day at a SD beach.

To me that would be a fun and doable vacation.....

Ditto the previous post.
I would buy a Southern California Citypass which includes 3 days Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, Sea World, and SD Zoo or Wild Animal Park. Great savings, esp if you buy from Costco. You can upgrade the 3 days DL to 4 days for only $25 per ticket (adult or child), then do US, then go to San Diego and do Sea World, and the Zoo. Spend so time at the beach, and relax.

Steve

Wow! Thanks for all of your responses. You all have given me a lot to think about. I guess what we had planned is alot to do....we were under the impression that DL was so small that 2 days would be enough.

Do you think we shoulkd just do 5nts in Dl and 5 nights in San Diego? Or maybe do 6 nights in DL and 4 nights in San Diego? I thinhk our main problem is that this is our first time to CA and we want to fit in as much as we can....

How do I get a City Pass? I have a Costco membership here in NY but I don't think they sell those tickets here......can I go to a costco in CA and buy the tickets? or do I need to be a CA resident?

Costco offers the tickets via their online site and they mail it out to you.

If you buy the City Pass and end up doing 3 days in DL, you may want to spend 6 nights in DL and 4 nights SD. This will give you a "down day" and a day to go to Universal.

Have you headed over to the DL planning boards yet ? You can get good advice there. Between the two DLR parks, you have about as much to do as in 3 WDW parks.......

Right now we have 5 nts at Disney Grand Californian and planned to go to Disney, Universal, Hollywood and maybe Knotts Berry Farm. We have 5 other nights to play with.....we were thinking maybe San Diego for 3 nts and do Sea World, Legoland, and the Zoo.....and then drive to Vegas and stay for 2 nts there and then fly back to NY. But now we are wondering if we should do San Francisico instead of Vegas.....we would fly from San Diego or LAX and then fly home from there.

First off I think you are going to love CA. We have done family vacations to there from our home in Ontario for the last 5 years.

For a first time trip with a 3 yr old I would suggest that you do not want to do the entire coastline. You will need some downtime.

I suggest 6 nights in LA and 4 in SD. Alow at least 3 days in DLR for both parks , 1 day at Universal and 1 day at a beach (Newport is nice).
The driving in the LA area is nuts so be prepared (especially on your day trip to Universal).

The four days in SD could be 1 for the Zoo and 1 for SW and 1 for chilling out (need 1 day to travel).
If you have not picked a hotel in SD yet look into the Pacific Terrace on Pacific beach. 4 star with great amenities and great view of the sunsets. Close enough to the action to drive to SW and the zoo.

The Souther Cal City Pass is a good deal for a first trip. Pick the zoo over the Wild animal park (the zoo has pandas and koola bears)

My best suggestion is to try not to overbook. Give yourself at least the last day to hang out by the beach and relax
(And remember that the 3 hour time difference might be okay for the adults but will confuse your 3 yr old)

Max

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter