I need advice- job related!!!!!

Miranda Danda

DIS Veteran
Hey y'all! :wave2:
I am struggling here with what to do. I just graduated on April 30th of this year. My B.A. is in Criminal Justice and I have been promised a job in the Crime Scene Unit of the local Sheriff's Department. I did my 400 hour internship there last summer and I really liked it. I put in an application on May 6th and I go down there about twice a month to check on the status of the application. Lt. Sanderson (my supervisor for my internship and the head of the Unit) keeps promising me that they are trying to get me hired, but they had to submit a request for two new positions (one for me). It has been sitting on the Sheriff's desk awaiting approval for 2 weeks now. Granted, we have had Hurricane Dennis come through and it made things completely hectic down there, but I haven't heard anything. The only time I get updated is when I go down there and ask them the status. I am very persistent.

Here's the thing: I promised them I would hold off on applying to other places and they don't want to lose me. I just can't keep sitting around my house all summer. I have been hesitant to get another job though, because my boyfriend of almost 4 years is in Grad School at UCF and he comes home about once a month for 3 days. I don't want to take a piddly job and miss seeing him (I have to drive about 1.5 hours to see him and I stay at his parents house when I visit).

I have been very depressed because all I do is sit in my house and watch TV and play on the computer. I had this problem last year after Hurricane Ivan when we were without power for 3 weeks. I got very depressed and had to go to the doctored because I dropped down to 110 pounds. I feel like the same thing is happeneing again.

So, after drawing this out, here is my question: Should I put my name on the list to be a substitute teacher while I wait for the position to open? It costs over $100 to do get the fingerprints done and the apllication, plus you have to do the little class thing. You only get paid $55 a day before taxes. It would keep me busy and I would have a little extra spending money, but should I do it not knowing then I will get called in to work at my "real job"???

Thanks to whoever read through that. And thanks in advance for any advice. I need it badly. ::yes::

Well I would go ahead and get the second job jsut to keep from going stir crazy :crazy2: but keep up with going down to see the Lt. to let them know you are definately interested.

I have heard that it is terribly difficult to get hired on at a CSU but that once there it is a great carrer. So try to stick it out and get the job you love. Hope this helps. and Good Luck :goodvibes

Captn Jack Sparrow said:
Well I would go ahead and get the second job jsut to keep from going stir crazy :crazy2: but keep up with going down to see the Lt. to let them know you are definately interested.

I have heard that it is terribly difficult to get hired on at a CSU but that once there it is a great carrer. So try to stick it out and get the job you love. Hope this helps. and Good Luck :goodvibes

Thank you so much for the advice. It really does help. Sitting at home makes me go :crazy2:!!!!!!

It is VERY hard to get hired as a CSI. Everyone wants to do it thanks to those shows (which I don't even watch). You know the ones :laughing: ! I am just lucky I did my internship there because thats what got my foot in enough to get the job.

Thank you so much, again! :wave2:

Check with the school district about the finger printing. I know a few up here pay for that so you would not have to. Plus, you can always turn down jobs for days that you either don't want to work or have something going on. They really don't mind if you turn them down, they will just go to the next person on the list unless a teacher requests you specifically.

ktglads said:
Check with the school district about the finger printing. I know a few up here pay for that so you would not have to. Plus, you can always turn down jobs for days that you either don't want to work or have something going on. They really don't mind if you turn them down, they will just go to the next person on the list unless a teacher requests you specifically.

The fingerprinting thing is CRAZY! here! Not only do we HAVE to pay the $61, but I have been fingerprinted twice before and they won't count them- even though one of the times was for a practicum in a school.

Also, the scheduling is a MAJOR reason I like the sound of subbing. You can basically make your own schedule which is good for me.

Thanks for the help! :flower:

I feel your pain! Hang in there! :hug:
I am waiting to hear back if I got into this Masters program and I am currently unemployed. Got laid off in the spring. All the paperwork and finger printing to be a substitute is not only costly but tedious. I am doing it right now b/c I am having trouble finding a job while I wait to get a response from the university. I am lucky Dh is so supportive!
Subbing is great because the schedule is flexible so I would do the finger printing just in case it takes longer to find out if you got the csi position.
Best of luck and let us know when you get the position. We'll watch for you on TV with Grisam. Haha!
Good luck and keep your head up! :teeth:

DisneyJen0504 said:
I feel your pain! Hang in there! :hug:
I am waiting to hear back if I got into this Masters program and I am currently unemployed. Got laid off in the spring. All the paperwork and finger printing to be a substitute is not only costly but tedious. I am doing it right now b/c I am having trouble finding a job while I wait to get a response from the university. I am lucky Dh is so supportive!
Subbing is great because the schedule is flexible so I would do the finger printing just in case it takes longer to find out if you got the csi position.
Best of luck and let us know when you get the position. We'll watch for you on TV with Grisam. Haha!
Good luck and keep your head up! :teeth:

:flower3: Thank you! its comforting to know that I am not the only one it this situation. Its like "make up your mind already!" :goodvibes

I know exactly what its like to wait to hear from a Masters program. My boyfriend waited for 4 months and was finally notified that he had made it into the Masters program 5 days before classes started so he had to move all his stuff to Orlando, find an apartment (luckily he had two high school friends there already), and get settled in! :scared1: I'm sure you'll make it in and it'll turn out great! ::yes::

Miranda Danda said:
:flower3: Thank you! its comforting to know that I am not the only one it this situation. Its like "make up your mind already!" :goodvibes

I know exactly what its like to wait to hear from a Masters program. My boyfriend waited for 4 months and was finally notified that he had made it into the Masters program 5 days before classes started so he had to move all his stuff to Orlando, find an apartment (luckily he had two high school friends there already), and get settled in! :scared1: I'm sure you'll make it in and it'll turn out great! ::yes::

Thank you-I appreciate the good wishes! I am glad your BF was able to get into his program even though it was last minute. :)
I will keep my fingers crossed for the both of us to get what we want asap! ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter