"I miss Mickey." Family Trip to CA with a surprise visit to Disneyland!

Discussion in 'Disneyland Trip Reports' started by Zarina_Stardust, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Zarina_Stardust

Zarina_Stardust Savvy?

Hello Everybody!

This is my first trip report. :goodvibes I'm a big fan of reading trip reports when planning so I thought I would post a bit about our trip from June. Our trip was June 2-13th. This included me, my husband, 7 year old son (DS7), 4 year old son (DS4) and youngest son (DS1) who was just 22 months old at the time of trip and not quite reaching the terrible two's. :rotfl:

In January we decided on taking a vacation to California. I had been wanting to visit San Diego for quite awhile and decided to start planning a trip. I knew since we were flying with 3 young kids I wanted to stay longer than a week like our last trips so we planned a 12 day trip. When I was doing my research I also saw we could purchase the Southern California CityPass which included tickets to Disneyland so we ended up deciding to add that on as a surprise for the kids! DS4 had been complaining frequently that he "Missed Mickey". I heard this on a regular basis and had a hard time keeping the trip a surprise as he constantly asked about visiting Disney World again. He also kept asking me a lot of questions about "Walter". He's taken quite an interest in Walt Disney. :rotfl:

So now on to our trip. We were up just after 4am with all our bags packed the night before and headed to the airport for a 6am flight. Luckily we made it through security with all our bags, car seat, and kids in tow without any trouble. We had a connecting flight in Denver with a two hour layover. The kids did great waiting in the airport and entertaining themselves watching a ladybug on a window and giggling nonstop about it. DS1 did get antsy on the 2nd flight but fell asleep on the descent into San Diego. :rolleyes:

20180602_1.jpg

to be cont'd

TeamUrsula and Jaina like this.
  2. Zarina_Stardust

Zarina_Stardust Savvy?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 2:54 PM
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Jaina

Jaina Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long, VMK story.

Following along! What a fun, long trip!

Zarina_Stardust likes this.
  5. Zarina_Stardust

Zarina_Stardust Savvy?

Day 1- San Diego

After we arrived in San Diego we had several hours before check in at our airbnb so we picked up our rental car(horrible experience with Thrifty) and then headed to Old Town for lunch and to explore.

Since the kids were hungry we ended up stopping at the first restaurant we saw after parking which was Casa De Reyes. The food was OK but the kids were more interested in the live entertainment.

I don't remember what I ordered but the presentation was nice!
    20180602_2.jpg

DS4 enjoyed watching the dancers. :)
    20180602_3.jpg

After lunch we let the kids burn off energy running around, did some window shopping and I took a million pictures of flowers and whatever caught my attention. :D
    IMG_2380 copy.jpg
    IMG_2386 copy.jpg
    IMG_2392 copy.jpg
    IMG_2394 copy.jpg

IMG_2399 copy.jpg

Eventually DS1 started to get very tired and was ready for a nap. Luckily I received a message our airbnb was ready so we headed out to check in. We loved our Airbnb. It was a granny flat with a great view in the back yard. The kids enjoyed playing out back and in the sunroom all week.

DS1 checking out the view.

IMG_2412 copy.jpg

We headed out for groceries and spent the evening having dinner in. I thought we would all go to bed early since we got up at 4am and were dealing with a 2 hour time change but my kids really put off bedtime that night. o_O:P

Jaina likes this.
  6. Jaina

Wow, that is an amazing view! Very cool! That's one of our problems with vacationing still, our kids struggle to sleep all together in different places, and they're still up at the crack of dawn...

7. Zarina_Stardust

Zarina_Stardust Savvy?

They managed to wake up bright and early everyday but by the end of the trip they started staying in bed a bit longer in the mornings. We never did make it to Disneyland at rope drop any of the mornings we were there. :rotfl:

8. Zarina_Stardust

Zarina_Stardust Savvy?

Day 2 - USS Midway Museum

We headed out first thing in the morning to the USS Midway Museum. We managed to arrive 20 minutes early and were able to line up right away since we pre-purchased tickets. Once inside we were given 4 speakers for the self guided audio tour which ended up being a mistake. DS1 stole mine and we had to head back and get one more.

First stop was the information booth to learn about the Junior Pilot program. DS4 was not that into but DS7 was obsessed. He listened intently and worked on answering all questions to earn his wings at the end of the tour.

We stopped for some photo ops on the planes and then headed below decks.
    IMG_2421-2 copy.jpg

DS1 getting to work... :P
    IMG_2438-2 copy.jpg

Eventually we stopped for a snack and then headed to the flight deck. We should have started out on the flight deck first because it was getting hot at this point and crowded!

IMG_2442-2 copy.jpg

IMG_2443-2 copy.jpg

IMG_2454 copy.jpg

IMG_2457 copy.jpg

IMG_2459 copy.jpg

After the tour we hit up the gift shop so I could get my go to souvenir (a magnet) and ended up getting a Christmas ornament too. This led to the kids wanting something. Whoops! :rolleyes: We also stopped at the information desk so DS7 & DS4 could turn in there questionnaire's and earn their wings. DS7 was very into pinning ceremony. :laughing:

We walked along the pier to see the Unconditional Surrender Statue and took a ton of pictures. Then headed out with 3 tired boys who were ready for a break.

USs Midway copy.jpg

After the break we went to Cali Comfort BBQ for dinner. It was crazy busy and packed inside so we asked to sit outside which ended up being nice. We sat at a picnic table and enjoyed the cooler weather.

I ordered the Sangria Fishbowl. I shared it with my husband since it was huge. :drinking1

20180603_4.jpg .

The food was good. I had a BBQ pork platter, DS4 had mac n'cheese with bacon, DS7 had mini sliders and DS1 mooched from everyone. :laughing:

20180603_5.jpg

We had some leftovers which we saved for another night. We convinced the kids to go to bed almost on time since we had a full day coming up the next day!

9. Zarina_Stardust

Zarina_Stardust Savvy?

Day 3 - San Diego Zoo

Today we headed to the San Diego Zoo. We packed a lunch and planned to spend most of the day here but ended up staying all day! We saw most of the zoo but with kids we weren't able to make it everywhere. We had to stop and hit up all the play areas and statues so that really slows things down a bit. :laughing:

Started out in Africa...
    IMG_2519 copy.jpg

The first of many stops. :rotfl:
    IMG_2528 copy.jpg

Snoozing Koala's
    IMG_2530 copy.jpg

IMG_2540 copy.jpg

DS7 checking out the Southern California animals then and now. He's really into the ice age right now. ::yes::
    IMG_2547 copy.jpg

IMG_2577 copy.jpg

I had read that the wait to see the panda's could be long but we managed to only wait a few minutes. The line was slow moving and it got annoying listening to them bark out keep moving over the loudspeaker. It seemed to be going quick enough at the time. :confused3
    IMG_2592 copy.jpg

IMG_2596 copy.jpg

The kids loved the panda's so much we ended up dragging two stuffed animals home with us. They get a lot of love though. DS1 ended up with a panda hat. There's something exciting about an animal you don't have at your home zoo. ::yes::

The layout of the zoo got a bit confusing and walking up hill in some places was not fun but it had some very pretty views!
    IMG_2612 copy.jpg

We rode the Skyfari back across the zoo and hopped on the bus for a quick tour. Pretty much saw the whole zoo again and gave DS1 a chance to nap. We took an ice cream break and headed to the kids area to play on the playground before leaving. It was a long day but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

IMG_2620 copy.jpg

Jaina likes this.
  10. Jaina

That zoo is pretty amazing! But the hills, not so much. I loved riding the Skyfar and pretending I'm on the Skyway to Tomorrowland again though! I'm glad you had a good visit! My kids were kind of obsessed with the pandas too.