I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently uploading 416 photo's just from Paris not counting the WDW trip. I had the silly thought I'd be able to put both in the same book. I won't print all of of them... This is the one reason why digital pics are worse than film, I end up with waaaaaaaaay more pictures than I would have with film.
Yeah, I have soooooo many digital prints. Other than my photobooks, I rarely print photos anymore. I do print an 8x10 of a classic national park view from each park and hang on the wall of my home office. My record on a photobook (8x8) is 69 pages for our Grand Canyon, Sedona, Zion, Bryce trip. That is why I love the free pages promos!

Just need to add in the part with in a basement, napping in a recliner as needed

I’m ok with a new thread starting up. Everyone here has given great advice. A glossary of abbreviations would be nice. As I know I’ve had to ask a few.
A new one I’ve seen used a lot more is SUB lately. It took me awhile to figure out what the heck people were talking about lol.

im sure you will put on that "green" helmet, "tackle" the issue, and score a "touch"in place for "7"0+ ppl we have in here.
ur so "down" for this!
I don’t actually understand this one fully...but I still laughed and tossed you a like LOL

I don't necessarily think we need a new thread but I am happy either way. One thing is for sure I know I don't a bunch of obscure references and second tier posting like on Saverocity. That is just plain maddening.

CONVERSATION STARTER:

Sort of inspired by a new post from Lucky on One Mile At A Time. He posted about the zillion cards he uses each month. The question is this:

Are we spreading ourselves thin and actually hurting our earning potential by fanning out over many cards and currencies? Would it be better to give up, say, a 1 or 2 point premium per dollar and just focus on one thing, like MR or UR? In the long run, if all our spend is in one bucket, do we come out with more for less fees?

The best way to earn is by getting outsized bonuses. But what happens when there are no good bonuses left or every card issuer has made it so hard to get a good pot of miles on initial signup? Does a simple 1 (or 2) card strategy work best?

Lucky's post - https://onemileatatime.com/credit-card-bonus-categories/

i sit with a couple of places, a lot of them have transitioned over to chat platforms... telegram, slack etc.
i tend to be a bit more conservative because on how public this forum can be... the thought that @mmmears found us via google is really scary to me, haha. still glad to see @mmmears find us though...

I'm glad I found you guys, but yeah, it was a bit too easy. I wasn't looking for churning, or even anything special other than an article or two about the best way to use MRs to get to Europe. This is the link I chose since I was already on these boards, but it wasn't like I went out of my way to find something. Meaning it's super easy I guess. Still glad I landed here, but I would think that reddit people would have an easier time finding this thread than I did. :goodvibes

ETA - I'm good with a new thread. I'm good with the old one. I'm just thankful to be here.

Last edited:
CONVERSATION STARTER:

Sort of inspired by a new post from Lucky on One Mile At A Time. He posted about the zillion cards he uses each month. The question is this:

Are we spreading ourselves thin and actually hurting our earning potential by fanning out over many cards and currencies? Would it be better to give up, say, a 1 or 2 point premium per dollar and just focus on one thing, like MR or UR? In the long run, if all our spend is in one bucket, do we come out with more for less fees?

The best way to earn is by getting outsized bonuses. But what happens when there are no good bonuses left or every card issuer has made it so hard to get a good pot of miles on initial signup? Does a simple 1 (or 2) card strategy work best?

I don’t want to envision a world where there are no good bonuses left for me...:(:guilty::sad2::sad1::sad:

Not sure who started that one on r/churning but I’m not crazy about it LOL.

Here I thought it was subscribe used like people that post following because they don't know/are too lazy to activate the notifications on facebook. What you said is even worse and unnecessary.

CONVERSATION STARTER:

Yes and no :) I've thought about this especially with Alaska miles since they are hard to come by and now you can't churn the cards as quickly since they put in the 24 month rule. So then it becomes how much do I want points I can use at a hotel - UR or MR or do I go for the airfare with AS but there's no bonus cats there. Once I finish MSR I'll go back to whatever card has the better rate and/or offer on the card but I'll probably use my AS card for gas which isn't much each month but at least it's something. Of course it all changes when I go for another card and eventually get into MR.

I think part of it also has to do with your monthly spend, I don't have as much as those with a P2 or kids so I'm more likely to need the bonuses to get anywhere but am also slower at getting them being solo.

I feel like I didn't actually answer anything which goes back to my original yes and no :)

ETA - I'm good with a new thread. I'm good with the old one. I'm just thankful to be here.

This for me too. I feel like I have found my "people" here that love travel and finance. Even though I mostly lurk, I read every page! So I didn't like the 'vote' post, not because i disagree, but because I don't have an opinion either way. I'd follow yall anywhere LOL

CONVERSATION STARTER:

I agree that too many "currencies" can make it difficult. There are people in reading other cc forums that have a card for gas, a card for dinning, a card for groceries, a card for travel...and usually all cash back cards in a sense. When you factor in minimum redemption thresholds on some...even up to $50...it can take quite awhile instead of dropping all into one bucket.

I dabble in 3 currencies...MR points, Marriott points, and the US Dollar. My DW deals strictly in Disney Rewards Dollars. The US Dollar is my favorite one as it is straight forward and hassle free. MR points and Marriott are being stockpiled for travel plans in 2021 and get a lot of MS.

How to List your cards...
Not that we can actually enforce this or anything...but it would be somewhat helpful if we tried to standardize how we list our cards. If the regulars here embraced this format then lurkers and new folks would probably copy too...

My suggestion is to ALWAYS list ALL cards (biz or personal...any issuer) in chronological order... I also suggest listing the date first (in MM/YY format - add a 0 to the single digit months to make it look even neater) and then the issuer (in all caps) and then the card name - it makes it SUPER easy to read...

If I were asking for advice, here's what my list would look like:

Player1: (currently 6/24 - dropping to 4/24 in February)
02/17 - AMEX Everyday
02/17 - AMEX Starwood Personal
03/17 - AMEX Business Gold Rewards (BIZ)
04/17 - AMEX Ameriprise Gold
05/17 - WELLS FARGO Cash Rewards
06/17 - AMEX Blue Business+ (BIZ)
08/17 - CHASE Disney Rewards Visa
09/17 - CITI Prestige
10/17 - AMEX Starwood Business (BIZ)
10/17 - AMEX Green Business (BIZ)
12/18 - CITI Biz Aadvantage (BIZ)
*Other cards of note that P1 has open: Discover, CF x2, SW Plus, SW Prem
*Cannot apply for another Sapphire bonus until March 2020 due to 48mo. rule

Player2:
(currently 2/24)
07/17 - AMEX Starwood Business (BIZ)
09/17 - AMEX Business Gold Rewards (BIZ)
12/17 - AMEX Delta Biz Gold (BIZ)
02/18 - AMEX Blue Business Plus (BIZ)
04/18 - CHASE Ink Preferred (BIZ)
08/18 - CHASE Sapphire Preferred
08/18 - CHASE Sapphire Reserve
11/18 - CHASE Ink Unlimited (BIZ)
*Other cards of note that P2 has open: 2x CF, AMEX BCE, Marriott Prem+, AMEX Hilton, Chase Disney

At any rate, nobody actually needs to listen to me...but you can see how clean and easy that format is to read :) Also, by listing ALL cards (and not just ones that count in 5/24) nobody will give me advice to open a card that I already have :D

EDIT: I'll also add that when asking for advice for 1 player, it'd still be nice if you list stats for both players. Giving advice for P2 without knowing what P1 has or has done recently could lead us to provide bad advice. If we know the full picture (i.e. like I listed above) you could probably provide some fantastic advice!
Oh man, my list is in reverse chronologic order. This is going to be hard for my brain to adapt to.

I also should add - I WOULD NOT plan to put any sort of guides or instructions in those first few comments. We won't be posting ideas on Modified Double Dips or grAAvy trains or DISchurners...or other ideas like that...all that should be discussed in the discussion but not openly linked on the first page.

I do like the idea of a new thread with a few first posts giving basic info, pointing people to the old thread and to DISchurners for more hush-hush discussion (which we already do now) and to share links there.

I think anyone looking for this type of info could pull us up in a google search- in an old thread or a new thread -So I'm not really concerned about that. We are somewhat careful what we say now so we will continue to be and point people to DISchurners. Having some laid out info in the first few posts that could be modified, added to, deleted, etc would be very helpful.

Either way, I'm good with the group consensus :D

Uploading pics from WDW, part of which was solo, makes me realize even more than I knew when I was taking the pics, I've got to figure out what to do with my arms when I'm in the photo alone. As much as I'm glad to have not grown up in the age of social media and in a sorority chapter that wasn't all about the pose either being different would have helped. I can't keep doing hands on hips or one hand on hip because they all start to look the same with a different park icon behind me. Thank goodness for the rare railing to put an arm on or for the PP that had me sit in France. And Baymax has been the most awkward meet ever, he just stands there and the PP wasn't any help.

Uploading pics from WDW, part of which was solo, makes me realize even more than I knew when I was taking the pics, I've got to figure out what to do with my arms when I'm in the photo alone. As much as I'm glad to have not grown up in the age of social media and in a sorority chapter that wasn't all about the pose either being different would have helped. I can't keep doing hands on hips or one hand on hip because they all start to look the same with a different park icon behind me. Thank goodness for the rare railing to put an arm on or for the PP that had me sit in France. And Baymax has been the most awkward meet ever, he just stands there and the PP wasn't any help.
I hugged baymax too hard when I met him and made him deflate some :o

I really like baymax

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!