I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the SNA airport. No uber surge prices, so even with tips it was at least $50 less than if we had rented a car. Had a good time exploring the Queen Mary and did a whale watching cruise today and got to see some grey whales. Still have two hours to kill until my flight leaves though...

At the SNA airport. No uber surge prices, so even with tips it was at least $50 less than if we had rented a car. Had a good time exploring the Queen Mary and did a whale watching cruise today and got to see some grey whales. Still have two hours to kill until my flight leaves though...

I love SNA.it was the only airport I've ever encountered where I was the only one in line at the check in counter and then getting into the security line there was one ( I repeat ONE) person in front of us. The TSA agents were actually smiling and laughing. I didn't know they could do that:crazy:. Much better than being treated like cattle and being called names at MCO.

IMPORTANT DISchurners "SUPPORT" LINK UPDATE
One limitation of Reddit is that after 6 months a thread gets locked. This would not be fair, as it would not allow anybody new to add their links (although existing posters could still edit their comments). Therefore we will refresh the "support" threads every 5 months. Today is the 5 month mark. I have created 3 new identical support threads which you will find on the DISchurners main-page. The old threads will also be left up for a few weeks to allow time for everybody to copy and paste their links over. Here is the process I would recommend to efficiently get your content added to the new thread:
  • Access the DISchurners main page
  • You should see three "new" threads near the top and three "old" threads near the bottom (one each for Chase, Amex, and Other/Misc)
  • Click on one of the "old" threads and then find your comment
  • Click Edit on your comment
  • Select all of your text in the comment box and then click "Copy"
  • Find the corresponding "new" thread and click "Paste" in the comment box, then click "Save"
  • Your links and text should come over with the same formatting
  • I then advise that you click EACH link to make sure they still work, update/remove/add any if necessary
  • Then repeat this step for the other 2 threads (Remember, there are separate threads for CHASE, AMEX, and OTHER/MISC)
If you need help with any of this don't hesitate to PM me. During the next 1-3 weeks we will have 2 threads up for each "issuer". Once the majority of people have moved their links I will PM a reminder to those that haven't done so and then remove the "old" threads.'

I also created a new "Member List AND Discussion Thread" which is stickied at the top of DISchurners.

I'll post this info again in a couple of days as a reminder but won't "spam" our thread multiple times with it lol!

Last edited:

I just read this on a thread over in the parks section. It was about the new extra FP/club level thing. Anyway, what is the scoop on this prestige? This sounds great!
Here is what I read...
“I am thinking about using the citi prestige card and booking 3 four day CL stays all at different resorts, and then being able to use the 4th night free benefit to get 3 nights free for our 12 night trip.“

I just read this on a thread over in the parks section. It was about the new extra FP/club level thing. Anyway, what is the scoop on this prestige? This sounds great!
Here is what I read...
“I am thinking about using the citi prestige card and booking 3 four day CL stays all at different resorts, and then being able to use the 4th night free benefit to get 3 nights free for our 12 night trip.“
It's a pretty awesome benefit of the Citi Prestige. If you book a 4 night stay either by calling in or through their online booking agent you get the 4th night free (basically it's a 1-night discount value based on the average nightly rate, not including taxes).

Here's a decent blog article on using the benefit at Disney!

Citi Prestige is a Premium Travel Rewards Card (similar to CSR, AMEX Plat). It has a $450 annual fee but includes benefits like:
  • $250 airline reimbursement credit (on anything including airfare)
  • TSA Precheck or Global Entry credit
  • Priority Pass lounge access
  • AND of course the aforementioned 4th night free benefit)
According to DISchurners Survey #2 only two people currently have this card (so me and somebody else) and one person previously had it so it definitely isn't popular among our group!

The main problem here is that signup bonuses on this card come and go. I got it with a 75,000 Thank You point signup back in fall but right now it has NO BONUS :( Here were my thoughts on the 75k offer that I posted back in December:

Citi Prestige Feedback
I applied for the Citi Prestige 75,000 Thank You point offer for $7,500 spend back in September. We had a roof project coming up plus were going to be paying for our Disney trip, so I was looking for some high spend offers. This particular offer (75k pts) is no longer available but here was the DoC writeup on it - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-prestige-75000-point-signup-bonus-now-publicly-available/

This card might have a 40,000 point offer currently and maybe the 75,000 will come back someday so I figured I'd just let everybody know how well it worked and easy it was.

To date, I spent exactly $7,750.40 (excluding the $450 annual fee).
  • About $1,200 of that spend was on airfare with Southwest and my $250 credit posted right on the statement closing date that the charges appeared on (no issues at all!)
  • I earned 87,599 Thank You points between the bonus and my regular spend. The bonus points posted right on the statement closing date after I met the minimum (no issues at all!)
  • I redeemed my TY points for statement credits totaling $875 (was very easy!)
  • In January I'll spend $268.75 on airfare (assuming the ticket price remains constant) and will earn another $250 statement credit
  • I plan to get the TSA Precheck credit on my wife ($85 spend then $84 credit!) and then spend $5 more at restaurants to bump up my TY points to the minimum redemption amount of 1,000 points for another $10 statement credit.
In all I will spend $8,109.15 and earn $1,470 in statement credits. If I net out the $450 annual fee I paid I basically put $1,020 cash in my pocket at an 12.6% return. Depending on how you calculate your return you might see that differently, but that's just an example of how I look at it. There are certainly better cashback returns out there but usually at small min. spends ($500 or $1,000). If you have a lot of spend coming up and want to generate some cash off of it, this is a great candidate if the card has a good offer.

The card itself has some neat benefits like the 4th night free at hotels, no foreign trans. fees, pre-check credit, $250 annual airline credit, and earns extra points on air, hotel and restaurants. Hopefully this is helpful to some folks that maybe hadn't read a lot on this card.

Last edited:
You could always get back in the game with some Amex business cards while you wait to hit Chase up again :) That is where I am at right now (lots of us there, actually)!

Once you are under 5/24, have you considered double-dipping the CSP & CSR? You'd want to go for the CIP first and then try for the other two.

I’d be thinking about the following cards in your situation:
  • AMEX SPG Biz
  • AMEX Biz Gold Rewards
  • AMEX Biz Blue Plus
  • AMEX Biz Platinum
  • AMEX Delta Gold Biz
  • Chase Marriott Biz
Could definitely earn a ton of points while not affecting your 5/24 status :)

Here’s a link to a guide on AMEX Biz cards that I put together: https://www.reddit.com/r/DISchurner...um=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=DISchurners

How about the BOA Business Advantage cash rewards. After spending $500 get a $200 statement credit. No AF. While not earning points but earns cashback. How does this rate for us who are 5/24...

It's a pretty awesome benefit of the Citi Prestige. If you book a 4 night stay either by calling in or through their online booking agent you get the 4th night free (basically it's a 1-night discount value based on the average nightly rate, not including taxes).

Citi Prestige is a Premium Travel Rewards Card (similar to CSR, AMEX Plat). It has a $450 annual fee but includes benefits like:
According to DISchurners Survey #2 only two people currently have this card (so me and somebody else) and one person previously had it so it definitely isn't popular among our group!

The main problem here is that signup bonuses on this card come and go. I got it with a 75,000 Thank You point signup back in fall but right now it has NO BONUS :( Here were my thoughts on the 75k offer that I posted back in December:

I had it and cancelled this year so I can start my 2 year clock on churning the card. I think it's a great card but I wasn't putting actual spend on it and the benefits don't make it worth keeping for us year over year.

Is there a rule that when booking with/redeeming points that you should use the cc for that Hotel? So booking a Hilton Honor stay and using points should I (do I need) use my Hilton Honors cc? Thanks

How about the BOA Business Advantage cash rewards. After spending $500 get a $200 statement credit. No AF. While not earning points but earns cashback. How does this rate for us who are 5/24...

The BOA Premium travel card I recommended in an earlier post will earn you a $500 statement credit for $3,000 spend plus a $100 airline credit. The AF is $95 but that is offset by the airline credit.

Only business cards will not count towards your 5/24 status. The BOA card you are referring to is not a business card so it will count towards your 5/24.

As far as how cash back cards rate in general, well if you:

1. Can make the spend for the bonus
2. If you travel and can make use of the rewards points that are redeemable for travel

Then a cash back card will not be anywhere near as valuable as those points and miles earned by one of the Chase UR premium cards like CSP, CSR or CIC. This holds true for the first year of any of these cards. If 1 and 2 continue to be true after the first year then you add point number 3 to see about keeping it.

3. If the points you earn and benefits can cover the AF and you can't stay under 5/24, then you keep the card.

If numbers 1 and 2 do not apply to a person's situation, then cash is king.

Referrals are worth 10,000 pts. Which is about $160 in Flights. You could not refer him to both cards if you only had 1 card. Did you plan to have him apply for 2 personal or 1 personal/1 Biz to earn the CP?

You can only refer for the cards that you have. The points you are given from SW at your anniversary cover the AF. And as @SouthFayetteFan pointed out, just one referral would more than cover the cost of that card. So, your dh using your referral links plus the points given at your anniv would make keeping both cards worth it.

BUT, keep in mind the bonuses can vary for all the SW cards. Currently, the personal cards are both at 50k and the business card is at 60k. If they stay the same, you could apply for the business and one of the personal which would be enough for the CP without having to do any additional spending over the MSR. However, bonuses could drop to 40k like they did not too long ago or all go up to 60k like they did in late summer/early fall of last year. There is no way to know. I'm planning to try for a CP for my dh for 2019-2020 so I'm keeping all my options open but really prefer to be able to get a SW biz and one of the personal so I don't have to spend more than the MSR.
Hmmmm, I don't know what we'll do then. Even with double dipping I think he would have a better chance getting one biz and one personal. I do plan on closing both of my SW cards in 2019 so that HOPEFULLY I can get another CP but I'm obviously not counting on that.

Is there a rule that when booking with/redeeming points that you should use the cc for that Hotel? So booking a Hilton Honor stay and using points should I (do I need) use my Hilton Honors cc? Thanks

No. I have never and will never use any of my hotel cards for a hotel booking, unless I am specifically getting a redemption by using the card that outweighs the points earned over using the CSR. CSR will earn me 3 UR points per dollar on a hoel booking and those UR points are worth more to me than hotel points since I can get better value out of them by transferring to an airline partner. The least value I will get from a UR points is 1.5 cents with the CSR and that is still more valuable than any hotel points with the exception of SPG. If I am staying at and SPG property and there is a promo, then I will use the SPG card because I value those points above all others.

As for Hilton, I'd use my Hilton Aspire card to pay for the stay for the $100 credit and $250 Hilton resort credits benefit that comes with the card. The card earns 14 points per dollar at Hilton properties and comes with Diamond status which will give an additional 50% bonus netting an average of 29 points per dollar. If I did not have a Hilton Aspire card, then I'd use the CSR. Hope that helps.

I had it and cancelled this year so I can start my 2 year clock on churning the card. I think it's a great card but I wasn't putting actual spend on it and the benefits don't make it worth keeping for us year over year.

Exact same situation for me. Depending on what I decide hotel-wise for my Barcelona trip, I might open this card for me (it was DH account I closed) and use the 4th night free benefits. But I definitely want a point bonus when signing up.

Hey anyone know how long it takes amex to appear on your credit report. I got amex blue feb 3 and it still not showing. I am secretly hoping it a possibility that i can get a new card :rolleyes1

The BOA Premium travel card I recommended in an earlier post will earn you a $500 statement credit for $3,000 spend plus a $100 airline credit. The AF is $95 but that is offset by the airline credit.

Only business cards will not count towards your 5/24 status. The BOA card you are referring to is not a business card so it will count towards your 5/24.

As far as how cash back cards rate in general, well if you:

1. Can make the spend for the bonus
2. If you travel and can make use of the rewards points that are redeemable for travel

Then a cash back card will not be anywhere near as valuable as those points and miles earned by one of the Chase UR premium cards like CSP, CSR or CIC. This holds true for the first year of any of these cards. If 1 and 2 continue to be true after the first year then you add point number 3 to see about keeping it.

3. If the points you earn and benefits can cover the AF and you can't stay under 5/24, then you keep the card.

If numbers 1 and 2 do not apply to a person's situation, then cash is king.

I'm a bit confused regarding the BOA card I questioned. Only because when I was on their website to look over the application questions for this card they were asking business related questions...I remember your posting about the BOA Premium card but since that would go towards my 5/24 that is why I was looking at what I thought was a BOA Business card...:confused3

Wow! So the airline credit it is calendar year? The 4th night free is amazing for us b/c we are a family of 6. So for Hawaii I am looking at 2 rooms. Basically that means Hyatt only. But with this card, I could book any chain and one room on points. The other room on cash and get this 4th night free. That would be a big help! Also, for Disney, I won’t always have enoight UR points so this would be great. Wow. I don’t have an immediate need for it, so I will watch for a bonus. Thank you!

No, my hubs is diamond thru stays at Hilton and neither of us even have a Hilton credit card. I want those UR points so he uses a CSR for paid and leisure (point) stays.

No. I have never and will never use any of my hotel cards for a hotel booking, unless I am specifically getting a redemption by using the card that outweighs the points earned over using the CSR. CSR will earn me 3 UR points per dollar on a hoel booking and those UR points are worth more to me than hotel points since I can get better value out of them by transferring to an airline partner. The least value I will get from a UR points is 1.5 cents with the CSR and that is still more valuable than any hotel points with the exception of SPG. If I am staying at and SPG property and there is a promo, then I will use the SPG card because I value those points above all others.

As for Hilton, I'd use my Hilton Aspire card to pay for the stay for the $100 credit and $250 Hilton resort credits benefit that comes with the card. The card earns 14 points per dollar at Hilton properties and comes with Diamond status which will give an additional 50% bonus netting an average of 29 points per dollar. If I did not have a Hilton Aspire card, then I'd use the CSR. Hope that helps.

Definitely helps. I would much rather put any chance to earn points towards my Chase accounts at any time since my HH card doesn't have any of those benefits as your Aspire does. That is another reason to sock drawer this card after this trip. Just glad that it isn't some sort of "requirement" to have to use that card in particular.

I'm a bit confused regarding the BOA card I questioned. Only because when I was on their website to look over the application questions for this card they were asking business related questions...I remember your posting about the BOA Premium card but since that would go towards my 5/24 that is why I was looking at what I thought was a BOA Business card...:confused3

Ah I see. Sometimes personal and cards and business cards have the same name with the exception of the word “businesses” on the front end or back end. If it is a business card then it shouldn’t (shouldn’t being the operative word) count towards your 5/24. That being said, if you still want cash over points and don’t want to affect your 5/24 then go for the Cap One Spark business card. I think the bonus is at $500 right now.

Ah I see. Sometimes personal and cards and business cards have the same name with the exception of the word “businesses” on the front end or back end. If it is a business card then it shouldn’t (shouldn’t being the operative word) count towards your 5/24. That being said, if you still want cash over points and don’t want to affect your 5/24 then go for the Cap One Spark business card. I think the bonus is at $500 right now.

Thank you for that. Will definitely look into the Cap1 Spark business. At this point since I'm 5/24 then yes cashback is what I want for now. But that BOA does "appear" to be a business card (the one I mentioned)? Again Thanks .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter