I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calypso...That is truly the definition of first world problems! I hope your find your way:rotfl2:

On another note, how have people's BB bonus points been posting? I checked my CSR this morning and only got 300 points for my Chase Pay purchase. My Freedom purchase posted fine for the $300 dollar limit (not $400). I sent a SM. I'm wondering if they are realizing the gift card purchases.

This is for you: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-pay-10x-10-points-best-buy-400-new-offer/

The Chase Pay® Best Buy® promo posted on bestbuy.com on 1/17/2018 reflected an incorrect offer amount. The offer is valid for purchases up to $300. Customers that had qualifying purchases between $300 and $400 on 1/17/2018 will receive adjustments to their accounts within the next two weeks.

They’ve also confirmed that the offer is public for all Sapphire card.

We took our 2010 Toyota to the dealership today on a recall. The dealership said the tires need to be replaced. They shouldn’t have to already, but you know you “love credit cards so much” when your first thought after hearing that is “oh crap that isn’t right” is “well we need to wait another 6 weeks at least so I can apply and get the CIP and then have a new Visa to use to get them at Costco.” The stars definitely aligned though because you also know you are addicted when you are okay with paying over $300 for additional work on it because at least your brand new AMEX came today and at least you can get started paying the minimum spend!

LOoking to rent through David’s Vacation Rentals next year. I will want a new card to put it towards a minimum spend. Does anyone know which cards cover time share rentals or should I buy separate travel insurance?

Also finally got around to joining reddit. I posted over there since I was still working on catching up here.

I know some of you do international travel do asking for recommendations

Family of 5 trying to go visit family that’s stationed in Gibraltar

Can fly out of BWI, DCA, Dulles (prefer BWI or DCA)
Need to get to GIB

I’d like to get there as cheap as possible using points. Have RR points and UR points currently.

Open to suggestions on the best way yo get there. Open to best time to Ho as well since not sure if certain times are cheaper.

SW doesn't fly to Europe so RR points will not be of any help. DCA is an AA hub and it appears the majority of flights out of BWI to GIB are also AA flights. Pricing seems to run in the $1450 per person neighborhood. Just under 97,000 UR points per person to pay for the flight if you have the CSR. UR points don't transfer to AA and if you transfer them to BA to book AA saver flights you will pay an exorbitant amount in taxes and fees, plus more miles since they are distance based. My suggestion would be to start getting some AA cards. The platinum select is 60,000 AA miles for $3,000 in 3 months and that is enough for one RT flight in economy. Also pick up a Barclay Aviator card which is 60,000 AA miles for $3,000 in 3 months. That would take care of 2 flights. If you are in 2 player mode have your SO do the same and that is 4 flights. If you each also get the SPG card that is 30,000 SPG points each after the spend. One of you transfers their SPG points to the other's account. Then transfer 50,000 SPG points to AA. SPG will bonus the other 10,000 and there is your 5th flight.

@calypso726 I missed this when you originally posted it. Some GREAT AS info here. Thank you very much! I am going to chew on this for a few days and reformulate my plan.

I already have the AK Signature Visa. If I close it do I need to wait before reapplying?

You're welcome. Yes, you need to wait at least 90 days according to the DPs.

Might be worth SMing or even calling Chase to ask they honor the original terms for $400:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/7rplkm/comment/dsyonj6?st=JCNVGPJ3&sh=88641515

I sent an SM about my Freedom to see if they will honor the $400.

Weekend events so far on my one and only card - Chase Freedom:
  • Best Buy on Friday. Bought a $300 gift card with ChasePay for the 10x points
  • Babies R Us on Friday. Testing out a Gift of College strategy. Purchased $25 card with Applepay for 5x points.
  • Groceries on Saturday. $200 on Applepay for 5x points. Plus starting to coupon again and saved $40 with coupons/BOGO.
  • Chase Checking and Savings. Had the coupon for $500 if open new checking and savings accounts. Opened those and deposited from my other savings account. I know I don't have the $500 yet but counting it as I am happy.
Gift of college: it says it may take 14 days to post to the 529 plan. UGGH. I am not overly worried as the Ohio Advantage plan was on the GoC website but the 529 plan had no mention of it on their website. I really just want to see the first one to go through. Once the first one goes through, I'm planning to see how much I will use these to make minimum spend. Right now am saving $1000 a month or 12K a year in the 529 plan and could easily front load to make min spend on some new cards. I wish they had a larger card than $500!

Chase: here is a question for the experts. When I went in for the checking account, the banker showed me the screen that said I am pre-approved for a) CFU; b) Sapphire; c) airline rewards. I turned down anything at that moment and he said if I change my mind they'll be there. Knowing about these pre-approvals, should I change any of the strategy which was CIP first then double dip CSR/CSP? I am wondering if I should do the double dip first, knowing I'll get auto approval (am I thinking that right with the pre-approval) on the CSR? I was going to wait until later in the year when I had some travel planned but could use the GoC strategy to help if I went with the double dip first.

Thanks for any help with decision making.

I would say still go with the CIP first since it’s 80k bonus sign up. Just because it says you are preapproved doesn’t always mean you will be approved.

Wait a month after you are approved for the CIP then you can double dip the CSR and CSP. Just remember to get approved for the one you want most and then use another device or incognito mode to apply for the other card. I know the double dip is still working currently as mine just posted this month.

@calypso726 thank you for the advice going to look into AA.

First need to see where we both stand for our counts. Do loans count towards the 5/24 or just credit cards? It’s late and can’t remember what counts. I know in dec need DH to apply for sw to earn cp for 2019-2020. Probably should have had him earn it this year as we have 4 flights scheduled already. My cp is good but if we had Two would have been better. Since these 4 trips are already paid for going to wait till next year to get it.

So is the consensus that the bb chase pay offer is not targeted? I’d like to use csr and csp. Also ibotta has 1% back right now—better than nothing!

Does ibotta credit if you use gift cards to buy gift cards?
I’m not sure. I think when I used a rewards certificate and credit card I only got my ibotta rebate on the part I charged. Could be wrong. Hopefully someone else knows. I think shopkick does, but that’s only 0.4%. And I’m not positive about that.

Last edited:
I’m not sure. I think when I used a rewards certificate and credit card I only got my ibotta rebate on the part o charged. Could be wrong. Hopefully someone else knows. I think shopkick does, but that’s only 0.4%. And I’m not positive about that.

Not sure about ibotta, but Shopkick is still awarding kicks for gift card purchases, but the payout has been reduced to $1 spent = 1 kick (1,250 kicks = $5 GC) so effectively 0.04% back.

If I buy visa gift cards to use over time with my CIP so I can quickly hit the min spend that is manufactured spending, correct? I don't want to do that if so. I am putting all my spend on it, except my freedom q1 category spend, so I will probably hit it in the first 60 days, but I would love the points to post after the first statement closes.

If I buy visa gift cards to use over time with my CIP so I can quickly hit the min spend that is manufactured spending, correct? I don't want to do that if so. I am putting all my spend on it, except my freedom q1 category spend, so I will probably hit it in the first 60 days, but I would love the points to post after the first statement closes.

Yes, using a credit card to buy Visa gift cards is considered manufactured spending. But Chase doesn't care if you do buy Visa gift cards to hit minimum required spends. If you don't want to be too suspicious, buy a $500 VCG, throw in a pack of gum or some regular shopping so your receipt doesn't end up charging the obvious $505.95.

If you need help quickly hitting the MSR on the CIP, you could also look into Plastiq or Venmo, which carry 2.5% and 3% fees respectively, but their fees are negated by the fact that the CIP earns you 3x back on the principle and the fee using these payment services. Do you have a bill you have to pay that might not otherwise accept credit cards? Use Plastiq. Do you owe somebody money? Maybe for lunch or for spotting you when you didn't have cash? Use Venmo. I'd consider Plastiq organic spending because you're supposed to be paying a legitimate debt. Venmo could be organic if you really are paying someone for a legitimate debt, but could fall into the category of manufactured spending if you're paying someone, i.e., a close family member or friend, with the expectation that they'll get that money back to you.

On the other hand, Amex has been trying to crack down on MS so I try to avoid buying VGCs when hitting a minimum spending requirement on Amex cards.

First need to see where we both stand for our counts. Do loans count towards the 5/24 or just credit cards? It’s late and can’t remember what counts. I know in dec need DH to apply for sw to earn cp for 2019-2020. Probably should have had him earn it this year as we have 4 flights scheduled already. My cp is good but if we had Two would have been better. Since these 4 trips are already paid for going to wait till next year to get it.
Only approved credit cards appearing on your personal credit report count towards 5/24. Loans have no bearing on that status.

So is the consensus that the bb chase pay offer is not targeted? I’d like to use csr and csp. Also ibotta has 1% back right now—better than nothing!

It sounds like from everything I have read it is not targeted; seems to be widely available if you have the cards and use Chase Pay.

You are welcome. No, just credit cards.

If you are going to try for another CP you will need to be under 5/24. Therefore, I would recommend applying for the business versions of the Citi AA Platinum cards and Barclay Aviator cards and the SPG business cards.

Yes, using a credit card to buy Visa gift cards is considered manufactured spending. But Chase doesn't care if you do buy Visa gift cards to hit minimum required spends. If you don't want to be too suspicious, buy a $500 VCG, throw in a pack of gum or some regular shopping so your receipt doesn't end up charging the obvious $505.95.

If you need help quickly hitting the MSR on the CIP, you could also look into Plastiq or Venmo, which carry 2.5% and 3% fees respectively, but their fees are negated by the fact that the CIP earns you 3x back on the principle and the fee using these payment services. Do you have a bill you have to pay that might not otherwise accept credit cards? Use Plastiq. Do you owe somebody money? Maybe for lunch or for spotting you when you didn't have cash? Use Venmo. I'd consider Plastiq organic spending because you're supposed to be paying a legitimate debt. Venmo could be organic if you really are paying someone for a legitimate debt, but could fall into the category of manufactured spending if you're paying someone, i.e., a close family member or friend, with the expectation that they'll get that money back to you.

On the other hand, Amex has been trying to crack down on MS so I try to avoid buying VGCs when hitting a minimum spending requirement on Amex cards.

Ok, thank you! Didn’t know about Venmo counting. We owe a friend for concert tickets!

I will probably break it up and buy some Walmart gift cards, some chick fila cards, etc. Add in some organic spending as well, and top off with vgc. Thank u!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter