I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smack my head moment. Someone here (? lain) mentioned signing up for Virgin Americas mileage program because Alaska Air was giving away miles as they converted to one program. Signed up for both DH and myself Got an email today giving us each 10k miles, which is enough for a trip from say Seattle to Vancouver, which might be handy as I haven't found direct flight from OHare to Vancouver. Bad news, I forgot to sign DS up for an account, so I guess he's walking

Can someone remind me how AmEx offers work (or don't work) with purchases made but possibly not posted before the deadline? I just realized that I have $43 left in travel credit, and am contemplating purchasing a $50 gift card, but I'm not sure if the purchase would post by Dec. 31. Same with the Petco offer. I need a better spreadsheet :/

Last day of our Hawaii vacation and some musings about next year's trip --

We love Aulani, so much that we're talking about staying over Christmas for a third year in a row; but, gosh it's expensive. We paid the rack rate for a standard room this year, and it was $664/night. Last year, we had a standard view studio and paid $634/night. Luckily, we received an upgrade to an island gardens view room last year and were upgraded to a partial ocean view room this year. Looking at next year's rates for Christmas week, a standard room is $704/night, an island gardens view room is $784/night, and a partial ocean view room is $869/night. Taking advantage of Disney Gift Card discounts, Shopkick, Ebates (and I'm guessing I'm missing out on Swagbacks?), and having both my wife's and my CSR travel credits refresh in early December really helps lessen the hit to the wallet.

I know if you own or rent DVC, the cost of staying at Aulani is likely to be significantly lower, but making a reservation directly with Disney gives us the flexibility to modify or cancel our reservation up to 5 days before the start of our trip, which we value. But if you're paying rack rates that high, it becomes very hard to justify leaving the property and not making the most of all the inclusive amenities -- of which there are lots, e.g., Aunty's Beach House for the kids, character dining at Makahiki, character meet and greets around the resort, family activities out of the Pau Hana Room, live local music at the restaurants, onsite tours, the lazy river, water slides and multiple pools, an enclosed lagoon, etc. At the same time, Ko Olina is really a bubble of luxury out in West Oahu, without a lot of everyday conveniences like Starbucks, reasonably priced dining or much shopping options. Yes, you can drive to nearby Kapolei for Starbucks, dining, Target, Costco, etc. but visiting other parts of the island with Aulani as a base camp is going to be a trek. We stayed 5 nights last year, which felt too long if you're going to spend most or all of that time onsite; so we stayed only 4 nights this year, which felt like a good amount of time to enjoy all of Aulani's amenities. We did trek back to town a few times during our stay at Aulani for family holiday gatherings, so even 3 nights of nothing but Aulani might've worked for us.

Next year, we're thinking of splitting our Hawaii vacation between a hotel in Waikiki and Aulani. Staying with family is nice and free, but it can really be ... too much. The CSR's UR portal doesn't show hotel availability for December 2018 yet, but using Thanksgiving week as a proxy I'm seeing Aulani rooms available starting at about 35k UR/night or DVC studios for 42k UR/night. By comparison, some really fine hotels in Waikiki are priced between 17k-25k UR/night. This price difference really makes staying in Waikiki a more palatable option while exploring all of Oahu, before moving to Aulani for a few days to cap off your stay with some Disney magic.

P.S. For those like @Angrose who are thinking of staying at Aulani over Christmas, keep in mind that Aulani has a limited activities schedule on Christmas Eve and Day, so allow for two or more extra days before or after Christmas if you plan to enjoy the family activities or kids programs at Aunty's Beach House.

Thank you so much for all this info! I am looking at Hawaii for next Thanksgiving or late Dec/early Jan. Do you feel the weather is nice this time of year?
We'd probably use hilton points somewhere for 6 nights and 4 nights at Aulani...maybe points, maybe cash...and flights points or cash. There are 6 of us, so it can get expensive quick. I try to stay $10k or less on vacations, but that often doesn't happen for big trips like this or DCL, etc.

Smack my head moment. Someone here (? lain) mentioned signing up for Virgin Americas mileage program because Alaska Air was giving away miles as they converted to one program. Signed up for both DH and myself Got an email today giving us each 10k miles, which is enough for a trip from say Seattle to Vancouver, which might be handy as I haven't found direct flight from OHare to Vancouver. Bad news, I forgot to sign DS up for an account, so I guess he's walking

They just gave them to you for nothing? I was recently looking at the Alaska airlines card for that companion pass. Anyone use/carry that?

They just gave them to you for nothing? I was recently looking at the Alaska airlines card for that companion pass. Anyone use/carry that?

I have the Alaska card but haven't used the companion fare. It's always been a part of the card even when I had it over 10 years ago, I'm just always flying alone to visit family or meet friends so it's not why I have it. I think it's fairly easy to use from what I've read. It's good for the bonus and the free bag but I'll eventually cancel it and reapply, though BofA has changed their rules a bit so it can't be churned as quickly as before. Alaska has great customer service so as long as you can deal with the BofA part of it, it's a decent card.

Alaska just emailed that if we converted our Virgin account to Alaska, we would automatically get 10k miles. We had no points in Virgin accounts and have never actually flown with them. The Virgin accounts are ending 12/31 and you can no longer sing up for one.

I have the Alaska card but haven't used the companion fare. It's always been a part of the card even when I had it over 10 years ago, I'm just always flying alone to visit family or meet friends so it's not why I have it. I think it's fairly easy to use from what I've read. It's good for the bonus and the free bag but I'll eventually cancel it and reapply, though BofA has changed their rules a bit so it can't be churned as quickly as before. Alaska has great customer service so as long as you can deal with the BofA part of it, it's a decent card.

Cool, thanks!

Sounds like you go to Aulani regularly. Have you considered buying a DVC contract (resale) for Aulani and renting those points? You'd make a profit and then you can use those proceeds to pay for the CASH reservation you'd prefer. Yes, Aulani has higher dues but the resale price is much lower than most other contracts. The direct price on Aulani is insane (and soon to be worse!) Just food for thought. I was planning on an Aulani contract by the end of this year myself but now I've decide to wait a little bit and keep watching the resale market.

Going to Aulani “regularly” is a really recent thing, as in this year made it a repeat and maybe next year makes it a routine.

My wife and I talked about buying DVC years ago, but we were doing a lot more varied traveling back then and didn’t want to be locked into Disney, as much as we love Disney. With a kid and the extra expenses that come with her, we’re not in as good of a position to buy as we might’ve been a few years ago. And who knows how long our DD will still love our Disney vacations? It broke my wife’s heart earlier this year when we went to Disneyland, and for the first time DD didn’t want to meet any characters (she used to love hugging all the characters!) and just wanted to ride all the attractions. Anyway, my wife and I have a long non-Disney wanderlist we’ve been holding off on until DD is old enough handle all the walking and really appreciate how lucky she is to get to see the world.

Out of curiosity, how would this work? How many points would we be looking at? How much to buy, and how much to rent out? And what’s driving up the cost of a direct Aulani purchase from Disney?

Thank you so much for all this info! I am looking at Hawaii for next Thanksgiving or late Dec/early Jan. Do you feel the weather is nice this time of year?
We'd probably use hilton points somewhere for 6 nights and 4 nights at Aulani...maybe points, maybe cash...and flights points or cash. There are 6 of us, so it can get expensive quick. I try to stay $10k or less on vacations, but that often doesn't happen for big trips like this or DCL, etc.

It really is hard to say, because from about November to March, you’re in Hawaii’s rainy season and the weather patterns become a bit more unsettled. I like visiting Hawaii during this time because the temperatures are generally cooler, in the high 70s to low 80s during the day, mid to high 60s at night, with nice trade winds and a comfortable dew point. (By contrast, it can be really hot and humid with temperatures reaching the upper 80s to low 90s during the summers.) That means the beach tends to be cooler too, but it’s still more than warm enough to swim and your body will get acclimated once you’re in the water.

Oahu is a tropical island, so it’s not unusual for it to be raining somewhere at any time of the year. If it rains, the windward (northern) and mauka (mountain) portions of the island will catch most of the rain. Waikiki and Honolulu are on the southeastern side of the island, so some rain does reach there. Ko Olina, where Aulani is, is on the dryer leeward side and might not see the rain even if it’s wet elsewhere on the island. During the rainy season, it’s pretty common to have overnight and morning showers that (sometimes leave rainbows before they) clear up by around 9. Last year, in late December to the first week of January, I don’t think we had anything more than the morning showers and I remember it was beautiful the entire time we were there. But you might also get heavy rainstorms, which can pass in a day or stick around for several days. It’s pretty rare for it to rain everyday for a week or more, but we heard from family that it rained for quite a bit after Thanksgiving this year. This trip, there were several nights and mornings of passing showers followed by beautiful days; but it rained hard all over the island all day the day after Christmas, with scattered rain the next two days. I have to say, even though it rained really hard while we were at Aulani, my DD still wanted to play in the pool and lazy river since she’d be wet either way, and the water in the pool was actually warmer than the rain coming down.

I’m glad you mentioned Hilton and your husband accrues a lot of Hilton points because I’d suggest looking at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It’s a huge resort, but it has beautiful grounds right on the beach. My BIL’s stepdad has a timeshare with Hilton and their family spends a week at the Hilton Hawaiian Village when all their family is in town every summer. The grandkids, who range in age from 3 to 16, love the pools and the beach. It’s also situated conveniently between the nearby Ala Moana Shopping Center and the edge of Waikiki for shopping and dining. And the Hilton Hawaiian Village puts on a fireworks show every Friday night. There are a few other Hilton properties in Waikiki, but the Hilton Hawaiian Village is their premier resort.

Last edited:
We fly Alaska several Times a year, as it is the ONLY airline direct from pdx to Boise, to see our grandkids. I and my husband both have the Alaska card. We have used the companion passes, very easy to do. But don’t save a lot on airfare with them as it is $99+$22(fees)+$75 (annual fee) = $196 for companion fare. Usual fare to fly to Boise is $200 rt. But do like the free bag feature. Using points sure gets me there cheaper. Don’t make a lot of points flying those 400 miles so signup bonuses really help.

Out of curiosity, how would this work? How many points would we be looking at? How much to buy, and how much to rent out? And what’s driving up the cost of a direct Aulani purchase from Disney.

Well, I'm going to give a stab at answering this one. I've been DVC since 2000, but I've never been to Aulani.

In late December a hotel room or studio range in points per night from 22 points to 31 points per night.

That would be standard view hotel 22 and ocean view studio 31 with a couple of choices in between. (With DVC if you want ocean view, book it - don't bank on upgrades.)

So to go every year you would need a minimum of 88 points for your hotel room for 4 nights and a maximum of 124 for a ocean view studio.

With DVC, you can do what's called banking and borrowing. You can buy enough for a 4 night room every two years or even every 3 years. So, 44 points up to 62 points could get the room every 2 years.

Right this minute there is a 50 point contract for sale at the DVC timeshare store - a reseller of time shares. They want $5500. Resale is great for Aulani as most of the perks for buying direct refer back to WDW or DL.

The second part of the equation is the yearly dues. This is a situation where you have to do the math. I have not looked up what the per point dues are for Aulani but a quick look at the 50 point contract shows $377 for yearly dues. So, buy in at $5500 and 377 for dues each year over a ten year period - that would be going 5 times with banking and borrowing, would cost you about $1500 for each 4 night vacation. (Estimating and assuming you want the better view room.) You can purchase one time use points to get an odd number of points needed to complete a vacation. You can book the hotel room - no view at 88 one year and the deluxe ocean view two years later - there are all kinds of ways to make it work.

Based on the cash price numbers of the rooms, this should be a good option for you. You did not state whether there are discounted rooms such as at WDW, which makes a big difference.

Small contracts go fast from resellers. You can usually sell a small contract and get most of your cash back. DVC is the one timeshare that keeps gaining in overall value. Can't say whether this will continue.

Start small, start resale. You can always add on as low as 25 points through Disney if after a year or two you feel it works for you. Smaller contracts cost more resale but are still much cheaper than Disney.

With your credit card hacking skills you can work both ends to get the vacations you want.

I did not address renting out because that is a whole other ball game and I am not generally someone who rents their points. I did when I had to cancel a trip and it worked well for me, but I bought my points to enjoy them, not as a second job. (Renters can be needy.)

Going to Aulani “regularly” is a really recent thing, as in this year made it a repeat and maybe next year makes it a routine.

My wife and I talked about buying DVC years ago, but we were doing a lot more varied traveling back then and didn’t want to be locked into Disney, as much as we love Disney. With a kid and the extra expenses that come with her, we’re not in as good of a position to buy as we might’ve been a few years ago. And who knows how long our DD will still love our Disney vacations? It broke my wife’s heart earlier this year when we went to Disneyland, and for the first time DD didn’t want to meet any characters (she used to love hugging all the characters!) and just wanted to ride all the attractions. Anyway, my wife and I have a long non-Disney wanderlist we’ve been holding off on until DD is old enough handle all the walking and really appreciate how lucky she is to get to see the world.

Out of curiosity, how would this work? How many points would we be looking at? How much to buy, and how much to rent out? And what’s driving up the cost of a direct Aulani purchase from Disney?

Disney is raising direct DVC prices across the board - Aulani doesn't retain it's resale value like, say, Grand Floridian, so I don't see the point of a direct purchase FOR AULANI (for other resorts, you can sometimes make the argument work for direct). https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/dvc-price-increase-pushing-some-resorts-over-200-per-point/

When direct prices climb, resale tends to go up too... https://www.***************.com/

I would think you'd need a minimum of 100 points, but Aulani is points heavy so 150 or 200 would do you better for the rental market. You would use a broker to rent and get $17 or $18 per point. There's a broker that sponsors this site I think. You would have to factor in your time to break even for this to make sense - you should be able to get Aulani for $90 a point if you're buying at least 200. Don't finance DVC.

My issue is that it's a lot of money tied up... so we keep going back and forth on it.

Geez, you all are making me want to go to Hawaii! I’ve never been and neither has DW (or the kids, obviously). It’s just such a long flight from the east coast, maybe in a couple years we’ll be able to make it happen. Which resorts do you all like that can be booked on points?

It really is hard to say, because from about November to March, you’re in Hawaii’s rainy season and the weather patterns become a bit more unsettled. I like visiting Hawaii during this time because the temperatures are generally cooler, in the high 70s to low 80s during the day, mid to high 60s at night, with nice trade winds and a comfortable dew point. (By contrast, it can be really hot and humid with temperatures reaching the upper 80s to low 90s during the summers.) That means the beach tends to be cooler too, but it’s still more than warm enough to swim and your body will get acclimated once you’re in the water.

Oahu is a tropical island, so it’s not unusual for it to be raining somewhere at any time of the year. If it rains, the windward (northern) and mauka (mountain) portions of the island will catch most of the rain. Waikiki and Honolulu are on the southeastern side of the island, so some rain does reach there. Ko Olina, where Aulani is, is on the dryer leeward side and might not see the rain even if it’s wet elsewhere on the island. During the rainy season, it’s pretty common to have overnight and morning showers that (sometimes leave rainbows before they) clear up by around 9. Last year, in late December to the first week of January, I don’t think we had anything more than the morning showers and I remember it was beautiful the entire time we were there. But you might also get heavy rainstorms, which can pass in a day or stick around for several days. It’s pretty rare for it to rain everyday for a week or more, but we heard from family that it rained for quite a bit after Thanksgiving this year. This trip, there were several nights and mornings of passing showers followed by beautiful days; but it rained hard all over the island all day the day after Christmas, with scattered rain the next two days. I have to say, even though it rained really hard while we were at Aulani, my DD still wanted to play in the pool and lazy river since she’d be wet either way, and the water in the pool was actually warmer than the rain coming down.

I’m glad you mentioned Hilton and your husband accrues a lot of Hilton points because I’d suggest looking at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It’s a huge resort, but it has beautiful grounds right on the beach. My BIL’s stepdad has a timeshare with Hilton and their family spends a week at the Hilton Hawaiian Village when all their family is in town every summer. The grandkids, who range in age from 3 to 16, love the pools and the beach. It’s also situated conveniently between the nearby Ala Moana Shopping Center and the edge of Waikiki for shopping and dining. And the Hilton Hawaiian Village puts on a fireworks show every Friday night. There are a few other Hilton properties in Waikiki, but the Hilton Hawaiian Village is their premier resort.

Thank you for the detailed info! I have been trying to read online about planning this trip and it can be so overwhelming! I’d love to make Hawaii a tradition for us...maybe every 3 years or so...so I want this first trip to go well. DH has been a couple times as a kid/teen but I haven’t.
My in laws will travel with us next year, and the weather was one of MILs concerns, so a I will share this with her.

I’m going to look into the Hawaiian Village now...thanks for the suggestion. I know it has popped up in my searches but I haven’t looked at it in detail. We have a little one who will be just turning 3 at the time of our trip, so we plan to spend most of our time at our resort. This sounds like a great option for that!
I think another one I was looking at was Hilton waikaloa...it something like that. It is on Hawaii I think. My MIL keeps suggesting island hopping at least once, but of course us doing that with 6 people is a big undertaking compared to her and FIL only. I am leaning towards staying all on one island myself.

We fly Alaska several Times a year, as it is the ONLY airline direct from pdx to Boise, to see our grandkids. I and my husband both have the Alaska card. We have used the companion passes, very easy to do. But don’t save a lot on airfare with them as it is $99+$22(fees)+$75 (annual fee) = $196 for companion fare. Usual fare to fly to Boise is $200 rt. But do like the free bag feature. Using points sure gets me there cheaper. Don’t make a lot of points flying those 400 miles so signup bonuses really help.

Ok, thank you! They seem to be suggested a lot for Hawaii flights, which is why I was looking at it. I think the CP would def save me money there!

Geez, you all are making me want to go to Hawaii! I’ve never been and neither has DW (or the kids, obviously). It’s just such a long flight from the east coast, maybe in a couple years we’ll be able to make it happen. Which resorts do you all like that can be booked on points?

Hawaii is my happy place! Grand Hyatt Kauai is magical. We are childfree but I swear, kids AND adults love GHK because of the pools. The food, spa, rooms, beach = wonderful. Stayed on Hyatt points of course.

I used Hyatt points at Andaz Maui, which is very adult and very nice but I felt a bit pretentious and probably overrated by bloggers but my god the diamond breakfast there is awesome. (It's $70 a person cash!)

I used Hyatt points at Regency Maui - very nice. Club level for Diamonds. Huge resort.

I used points at Hilton Hawaiian Village. Upgrade for gold and diamonds. Free food and water. Okay resort - it's huge but has a lot of kids which was jarring for us (we're not used to it).

I paid cash at Ritz Carlton Kapalua (Maui). My favorite resort on Hawaii (so far!)
I paid cash at Fairmont Big Island (wonderful food at Brown's Beach House and AMAZING beach!)

a million years ago I stayed at a sheraton on Waikiki beach for cash. I was poor then, the room was super old but I was in Heaven!

Go to Hawaii. Trust me.

DH picked up the card recently and I will also be picking it up on my next App-o-rama. We are planning to take my mom, brother, DSIL and niece to Aulani with a stopover there and back in DLR and during the planning it seems easier to book them all on Alaska Air flying out of FLL - HNL with a companion pass than getting everyone there on points and miles. I'm sure I could do it but I'd rather avoid the ensuing headache if I need to split them on different flights or airlines to make it work. They aren't frequent travelers and I love them but even our Disney vacations are like an exercise in herding cats when it comes to getting there and back. Throw in air travel, connections etc. :faint: So purchasing 2 economy tickets and getting the other 2 for $99 each plus tax is fine by me.

We have 1300 DVC points over 4 home resorts, SSR, AKV, BCV and VGF. The points needed depends on the type of accommodations you want and the time of year you go. Last year we stayed 10 nights at Aulani in March in an ocean view 2 bedroom. It was 711 points. We don't own at Aulani but since it wasn't a super high season we were able to use our points at 7 months out to book there. I would imagine you would need to own there to book Christmas week so that you would have the 11 month advantage of a home resort owner. Here is the points chart for 2018.

DVC Aulani points chart.jpg

I see Aulani selling on the resale market anywhere from $90 per point to $130 per point depending on the size of the contract. Annual maintenance dues at Aulani are $7.43 per point unless you find a subsidized contract which is at $5.66 per point. Those are like unicorns. We have bought both direct from Disney and resale but that was years ago. The last direct contract we bought was Villas at Grand Floridian because it was a brand new resort so there was no resale option and GF is DH's favorite resort. I would not buy direct again. Every year they rasie the prices. We bought direct during a promotion back in 2006 and paid $86 per point. Now some of the resorts are $220 per point direct. That's insane if you ask me. But if people keep paying those prices they will keep raising them. David's DVC rentals is paying $14 per point for Aulani reservations booked more than 7 months in advance. So if you do the rental thing, you want to make sure that you cover your hotel costs and your dues costs. We've toyed with the idea of getting more points to cover our current annual dues. I may look into again. I've had friends rent their points out through David's and they had nothing but good things to report.

The flight is so scary for me because our youngest will be just turning 3. She has flown a lot though, so I am just going to suck it up.

They aren't frequent travelers and I love them but even our Disney vacations are like an exercise in herding cats when it comes to getting there and back.

OMG I am LOL'ing over this line! If I were still drinking my morning coffee it would be all over my shirt!!!!

DH picked up the card recently and I will also be picking it up on my next App-o-rama. We are planning to take my mom, brother, DSIL and niece to Aulani with a stopover there and back in DLR and during the planning it seems easier to book them all on Alaska Air flying out of FLL - HNL with a companion pass than getting everyone there on points and miles. I'm sure I could do it but I'd rather avoid the ensuing headache if I need to split them on different flights or airlines to make it work. They aren't frequent travelers and I love them but even our Disney vacations are like an exercise in herding cats when it comes to getting there and back. Throw in air travel, connections etc. :faint: So purchasing 2 economy tickets and getting the other 2 for $99 each plus tax is fine by me.

We have 1300 DVC points over 4 home resorts, SSR, AKV, BCV and VGF. The points needed depends on the type of accommodations you want and the time of year you go. Last year we stayed 10 nights at Aulani in March in an ocean view 2 bedroom. It was 711 points. We don't own at Aulani but since it wasn't a super high season we were able to use our points at 7 months out to book there. I would imagine you would need to own there to book Christmas week so that you would have the 11 month advantage of a home resort owner. Here is the points chart for 2018.

View attachment 291055

I see Aulani selling on the resale market anywhere from $90 per point to $130 per point depending on the size of the contract. Annual maintenance dues at Aulani are $7.43 per point unless you find a subsidized contract which is at $5.66 per point. Those are like unicorns. We have bought both direct from Disney and resale but that was years ago. The last direct contract we bought was Villas at Grand Floridian because it was a brand new resort so there was no resale option and GF is DH's favorite resort. I would not buy direct again. Every year they rasie the prices. We bought direct during a promotion back in 2006 and paid $86 per point. Now some of the resorts are $220 per point direct. That's insane if you ask me. But if people keep paying those prices they will keep raising them. David's DVC rentals is paying $14 per point for Aulani reservations booked more than 7 months in advance. So if you do the rental thing, you want to make sure that you cover your hotel costs and your dues costs. We've toyed with the idea of getting more points to cover our current annual dues. I may look into again. I've had friends rent their points out through David's and they had nothing but good things to report.

What's your opinion on just owning Aulani? I've really gone back and forth on this... on the DVC board here there's a lot of negative attitudes toward OWNING Aulani which seem misplaced to me, but maybe not... I feel like owning at a reduced point/price and getting free flights with CC rewards = frugal trips for years and years but I must be missing something.

My issue is that it's a lot of money tied up... so we keep going back and forth on it.

This is me exactly.

On several occasions over the years, I have spent a ton of time researching DVC but concluded with my family's unpredictable vacation plans, DVC was not a good option. If it turns out that you really will be going to Aulani every year, or every other year, then it might be a good choice.

This is me exactly.

On several occasions over the years, I have spent a ton of time researching DVC but concluded with my family's unpredictable vacation plans, DVC was not a good option. If it turns out that you really will be going to Aulani every year, or every other year, then it might be a good choice.

I’m with you, I can’t ever get the numbers to make sense for wdw trips as I generally travel there when I can find really good deals. But I do see where aulani makes sense if you plan to go there often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!