I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think someone here was looking for discounted Rockettes tickets; just got this in my email (says up to 50% off select dates):

Give the Gift of Wonder

Use code: EM2DEC

Brand new surprises await you at this year’s Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes® presented by Chase! Experience the sights and sounds of Christmas like never before with our immersive technology and extraordinary new finale number, "Christmas Lights." Don’t miss a moment of the magic—get your tickets today!

In case anyone wants to slum with TPG. LOl. I guess it might be worth free SW points.

To celebrate the holiday season and the current limited-time offer of up to 60,000 points on the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card, The Points Guy and Chase are partnering up to give away a cumulative 8,640,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards points over the next 12 days.

Between Dec. 12 and Dec. 23, 12 lucky TPG readers will be selected at random each day to win 60,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards points. Based on TPG’s valuations, those points are worth $900. What’s even more exciting is that these points will count toward Companion Pass eligibility, and we think this is one of the most valuable airline perks out there. Note: The 60k points will not be processed into the winners’ accounts until January 2019.

If you’d like to be one of the winners, engage with us each day via the following platforms:

*Posts on each platform will be live at 11am ET each day. To be in the running, you must submit your comment or post on the correct platform by 11:59pm ET on the corresponding day.

Day 1, 12/13: In the comments section of this announcement post, tell us where you’d go on 60,000 Southwest points, and who you’d take with you!

Day 2, 12/14: Post a photo from your favorite vacation in the comments of this post (link will be added day of) on the TPG Facebook page and use the hashtag #LuvTPGgiveaway

Day 3, 12/15: Tweet us @thepointsguy and use hashtag #LuvTPGgiveaway telling us which Southwest card you would most likely get

Day 4, 12/16: Post a photo from your travels on Instagram and hashtag #LuvTPGgiveaway

Day 5, 12/17: Comment on this Facebook TPG Lounge post (link will be added day of) and tell us about a time when points got you somewhere that cash couldn’t.

Day 6, 12/18: Tune in to our Facebook Live at 2 pm ET, where a winner will be selected at random from one of the attendees.

Day 7, 12/19: Post a travel photo of you in the comments of this post (link will be added day of) on the Mommy Points Facebook page with the hashtag #LuvTPGgiveaway

Day 8, 12/20: In the Facebook TPG Family lounge, tell us in the comments of this post (link will be added day of) about somewhere you’d take your child (or a niece, nephew, etc.) on Southwest and use #LuvTPGgiveaway

Day 9, 12/21: Comment on this post (link will be added day of) on Brian Kelly’s personal Instagram, and tell him one place you’ve been able to visit as a result of reading TPG.

Day 10, 12/22: Drop us an email at luvtpg@thepointsguy.com telling us what your favorite Southwest Credit Card perk is

Day 11, 12/23: Forward your copy of today’s newsletter to luvtpg@thepointsguy.com. If you’re not yet a suscriber, sign up here: thepointsguy.com/subscribe

Day 12, 12/24: Comment on our TPG Instagram post (link will be added day of), telling us about one way you’ve been able to pay it forward to someone else using points or miles.
I'll probably slum it for hopes at SW points. Maybe I could help BILs out with the cruise trip - ya know, if they would commit already :headache:

Not at all related to anything churning but I got the letter in the mail that there was still availability for the DVC member cruise from San Diego to to Vancouver, BC. We've never done a cruise (but it's definitely on the to-do list) so I thought 'Hey, that sounds fun!' thinking there was some sort of special DVC pricing.

You can all laugh now.

The DVC cruises are EVEN MORE than a regular Disney cruise on the same route :scared1:. I think, if my math is right, that for our family of 4 it would cost almost 7k for 5 nights :faint:.

Somebody has to pay for all the trinkets they put in the rooms and the special speakers and the special opportunities to buy more points!

It absolutely amazed me when I figured out what a high price these cruises were. But, the people who enjoy them seem to really enjoy them, so maybe they are worth it to some. I'm not a cruise person.

Re-posting this portion of an earlier post since I did not get any responses. Anyone? Bueller?

I do have a couple of questions:

#1: I've been noodling on opening a Chase Sapphire account for the 60k UR bonus. Chase is a much more convenient place for me to bank than BofA since moving to Idaho. But I remember reading something about the bonus being taxable (at a rate that seemed very high) and Chase issuing 1099s. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I would only do it if I was reasonably confident that the bonus would be treated like a cc bonus.

#2: Per the recent discussion regarding the increase in the AF for the Biz Plat, I'm not planning on keeping mine once the AF hits again. Are there any downgrade options for the Biz Plat vs. cancelling? I already have the Biz Gold and Biz Green. Can I downgrade to the Blue Biz Plus?

I got the CSP bonus last year and didn't get a 1099 from Chase. Maybe there was something about bank bonuses generating 1099-INTs (which would be accurate - my understanding is that bank bonus cash is treated as extra interest and taxed consistent with other interest income at your regular tax rate). Maybe if you cash out URs in specific ways you'd generate income that would belong on a 1099? But if you are redeeming for travel, generally that is considered a discount on the travel, or a "coupon" on your credit card spending and therefore not subject to tax.

No help on the downgrading, but with you on not keeping my Plat for the new AF :crazy2:

I got the CSP bonus last year and didn't get a 1099 from Chase. Maybe there was something about bank bonuses generating 1099-INTs (which would be accurate - my understanding is that bank bonus cash is treated as extra interest and taxed consistent with other interest income at your regular tax rate). Maybe if you cash out URs in specific ways you'd generate income that would belong on a 1099? But if you are redeeming for travel, generally that is considered a discount on the travel, or a "coupon" on your credit card spending and therefore not subject to tax.

No help on the downgrading, but with you on not keeping my Plat for the new AF :crazy2:

Thanks. Like you, I wouldn't expect the issuance of bonus URs to be taxable, but what I don't know is whether their nature as a bank bonus, even though not paid in cash, makes them taxable. I just don't want to go there, especially since I wouldn't be cashing them out.

Thanks! But, I'm probably the one person in America that doesn't drink Starbucks! I don't care for coffee at all. I feel so left out sometimes because I don't. :rotfl:

I hated coffee (and soda) and only drank tea. Now I'll take something with a tiny bit of decaf in it and a lot of other things (like almond milk and sometimes chocolate). DD and I used to go to Starbucks all the time when she was younger because she liked their frozen drinks that don't have coffee in them. DH and I would sometimes go for a latte, but both think the quality and service are so bad now we never go. Got a Nespresso machine instead and never looked back. DH loved the ones in the CL lounges at WDW and after a few years we just went ahead and bought one.

Not at all related to anything churning but I got the letter in the mail that there was still availability for the DVC member cruise from San Diego to to Vancouver, BC. We've never done a cruise (but it's definitely on the to-do list) so I thought 'Hey, that sounds fun!' thinking there was some sort of special DVC pricing.

You can all laugh now.

The DVC cruises are EVEN MORE than a regular Disney cruise on the same route :scared1:. I think, if my math is right, that for our family of 4 it would cost almost 7k for 5 nights :faint:.

What's so funny is all the people lining up to pay more because it's "exclusive" and they can tell everyone they are on a special cruise. It always makes me laugh. DCL is a great product in general, though, and I've enjoyed all 4 of our cruises.

Thanks. Like you, I wouldn't expect the issuance of bonus URs to be taxable, but what I don't know is whether their nature as a bank bonus, even though not paid in cash, makes them taxable. I just don't want to go there, especially since I wouldn't be cashing them out.

I saw the thing about the 1099 and having to pay taxes on that 60K UR and moved on. That's one extra level of complication I'm not willing to deal with I guess.

I think I am finally ready to try for the companion pass for both DH and I. (We have 3 kids so having 2 companion passes would be ideal) DH is 4/24 so I need to apply for the business card for him first. I am 3/24 so I can apply either way. I am thinking about trying to use that link from DOC the last comment said it worked for them on 12/5 so I'm hoping that will still be the case. Remind me the 1/30 and 2/30 rules? If I apply for the business card first do I need to wait 30 days to apply for the personal card?

I think I am finally ready to try for the companion pass for both DH and I. (We have 3 kids so having 2 companion passes would be ideal) DH is 4/24 so I need to apply for the business card for him first. I am 3/24 so I can apply either way. I am thinking about trying to use that link from DOC the last comment said it worked for them on 12/5 so I'm hoping that will still be the case. Remind me the 1/30 and 2/30 rules? If I apply for the business card first do I need to wait 30 days to apply for the personal card?

The 1/30 rule is for business cards...so after your approved for the SW business you could apply for the personal the next day...if it were me I’d probably put more time in between..you may have already done so.. but look at the credit limits on your other chase cards and reduce if they are close or over 50% of your income or over $70,000 ish...to increase your chances of being auto approved

For things like samsung pay, do you have to have cell service? My mom has an old samsung phone that I could put samsung pay on but it would only have wifi connection. I don't think this would matter but wasn't sure. @Albort

For things like samsung pay, do you have to have cell service? My mom has an old samsung phone that I could put samsung pay on but it would only have wifi connection. I don't think this would matter but wasn't sure. @Albort

I would think you would need to have wifi available in the store when you are paying.

I would think you would need to have wifi available in the store when you are paying.

I always figured it was done over rfid or bluetooth and not the actual cell signal. Especially since it seems like someone mentioned having their phone in airplane mode but using it contactless in europe.

I always figured it was done over rfid or bluetooth and not the actual cell signal. Especially since it seems like someone mentioned having their phone in airplane mode but using it contactless in europe.
Maybe. I am really not sure. Wouldn't you need wifi to connect to the credit card though? I know I occassionally have a problem getting Samsung Pay to load when needed and always thought it was due to poor connection.

it works just like Apple pay, it does not require any network. It needs to be S6 or above though.

Does anyone get any kind of extra discount buying tickets through the Mousesavers newsletter link? I signed up
years ago and although i see specials here and there I don't see them on Tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter