I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think so as long as online purchases are allowed. I know it works with the AmEx offers.

ETA: Although you could do better buying the Happy gift card for 20% off on GiftCardMall.com and using it through the shopping portal.

Be careful when using the Happy Cards shopping online, not all the stores allow the Happy Cards to be used online. I couldn't get mine to work online at Sephora but it works fine in-store.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-denies-some-signup-bonuses-against-pop-up-indicator/

@Lain, @SouthFayetteFan and whomever else has been getting the pop up (and in case you missed this). I think I am just going to put DH's Amex's back away and keep using only for offers as they come. With our luck and our history with his account I would manage to apply, not get the pop up, and then get denied the bonus anyway.

I’ve seen chatter about this on r/churning for a few weeks now, but there’s no clear pattern other than Amex saying they have the right to deny bonuses in their sole discretion and vague allegations of “reward abuse or misuse.” Some are wondering if it has anything to do with self-referral, but there are so many counter DPs of folks getting their bonuses despite self-referral.

I really don’t know what to make of it. I think some people are scared so they’re “calling the bank” to confirm their bonus terms before even hitting MSR. I don’t know if that’s helpful because it’s just going to put eyes on your account. My thought is if you don’t get the pop up, assume everything is fine, hit MSR, and contact Amex only if the bonus doesn’t post like normal, and file a CFPB complaint if necessary.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I have pondered all your suggestions today and I think I have a plan.
Here are my stats:
View attachment 368709

So the plan:
Now: amex BBP (freebie/kill time)- self referral from DH plat? ...still 4/24
Jan: close CIP app for CIU....still 4/24
Feb:
Mar: Hyatt... 5/24
April:Barclay arrival+....6/24
May: Discover It

seem ok here? Of course, pending any crazy curve balls.

I am going to app DH for another chase biz too. Maybe I will do that in Feb. I try to lay low on his report some since he has the income and therefore takes out the mortgages.
I think your plan is good. I got the BBP awhile back, and would like to get my dh one soon with a support link from my Plat. But we have too many MSR's, plus hopefully SW biz here soon, to take on another. I'm just hoping the Arrival+ bonus stays the same until after I can get my dh the SW biz. Then I want to get him the Arrival +. Since I can use it to pay my mortgage, that is a MSR I can meet easily.

Raise usually has at least 15% off fanatics gift cards...more if you catch a raise sale. I've used multiple gift cards. At least 5 at once so not sure if/what the limit is. Stack with portal and you can use MSR card for GC purchases. Ends up way better than AMEX deal
wow, thank you. Let me see if I can cancel the $140 jersey order I placed 2 hours ago. :rolleyes:

Ok, amex support link help...
logged into DH's account and clicked to generate the support link. Followed it and the only card showing up was his spg biz. Nothing else was under the "explore other cards with referrals" button. What did I do wrong?

ETA: NVM, figured it out

Last edited:
I’ve seen chatter about this on r/churning for a few weeks now, but there’s no clear pattern other than Amex saying they have the right to deny bonuses in their sole discretion and vague allegations of “reward abuse or misuse.” Some are wondering if it has anything to do with self-referral, but there are so many counter DPs of folks getting their bonuses despite self-referral.

I really don’t know what to make of it. I think some people are scared so they’re “calling the bank” to confirm their bonus terms before even hitting MSR. I don’t know if that’s helpful because it’s just going to put eyes on your account. My thought is if you don’t get the pop up, assume everything is fine, hit MSR, and contact Amex only if the bonus doesn’t post like normal, and file a CFPB complaint if necessary.
I got the pop up for weeks and weeks for dh on the Hilton Biz. Finally it went away, meet the spend in one charge and had the points a couple days later.

wow, thank you. Let me see if I can cancel the $140 jersey order I placed 2 hours ago. :rolleyes:
I also just got an email saying 30% off code is GIFTS (thru midnight ET Friday night) but sometimes it doesn't work on jerseys, some special nike products, and sale items

I also just got an email saying 30% off code is GIFTS (thru midnight ET Friday night) but sometimes it doesn't work on jerseys, some special nike products, and sale items
The codes haven't worked on anything I have bought. It is at the Kohls level of annoying. ETA: But thanks for trying :)

I got my Visa gift cards from Amazon. Registered them (they are gift card mall) and then tried to use them on Plastiq to pay my student loan provider Mohela. Got error code 2017 from Plastiq and was told to call my card issuer. I've used Visa debits before on Plastiq no problems, anyone know if there is something different about Giftcardmall Visa cards that doesn't play well with Plastiq?

ETA: the cards were loaded by Amazon, I can see the available balance is $200

Saw someone on Reddit got their CFU replaced with a contactless capable one via SM. I decided it’s a convenient time for me to do that so I messaged Chase requesting a replacement card that was contactless capable.
Chase Reply: all about contactless cards
Me: I know & would like to replace my current card with a contactless capable one
Chase Reply: we’ve initiated your dispute. We may require additional information about your purchase
Me: I have no disputes with my purchases! what is wrong with you people?! I just want to replace my card with a contactless capable one!

It’s only Dec 6 and the holidays win already, I am obviously at the end of my rope. Asking what was wrong with you people was admittedly not a highlight of my churning journey :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!