I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just began this churning process 1 month ago. Today I received an offer for the AMEX Luxury card- 125k bonus, $5k in 3 mos.
I'm 4/24 after getting the CIC and CFU (applied on the same day, rookie mistake).
We've found that spending 5k in 3 mos won't be a problem after converting as much as we can to CC spending.
I ventured into this to use UR to pay for Disney vacations, but after the latest news, I'm up in the air.
My first thought after the news was to just use the UR to pay for flights, cars, etc and maximize other things (RMN, DOSH, Bonus categories) to accumulate Disney GCs to pay for the lodging.
My wife is 1/24, as she just received the CF.

I'd appreciate advice on whether I should go for AMEX card. When I began (after reading PointsGuy), I was going to get all things Chase, with the CSR being my next card around Nov, but now I'm not so sure.

I've already gleaned so much from all of you. :worship:

Last edited:
If your son isn't in immediate need of credit, I would just mail in the documentation they asked for & try again in a few months.

If you hear nothing back, if you receive his credit report by mail & there's something fishy on it, or if you still can't access his file online in a few months, I'd start calling.

You can also freeze his Equifax report (or all of them, really) while you're waiting: https://my.equifax.com/consumer-registration/UCSC/#/personal-info This should work even if you can't access the file itself. I'm not sure why :confused3
Ok update(I finally got ds at home to do this!) did the credit karma verification with the license etc- so ds has a score of 791, age of oldest acct is over 11 years(mine) !!! so why did discover deny him? is it recommended we call back to ask, or just let it ride and try again in 30 days? I'm really wondering if maybe a freedom card isn't better for Ds on his first card now since his 'history' is already with chase? wwyd?

just read an article about the PRG becoming a (rose) gold card..... and have been too busy to notice all the chatter here about the PRG so now I'm confused...what card are people trying to get so desperately? the PRG,or the new one? and what offer is the one we're aiming to pull? I thought it was a charge card being talked about....:confused3

Ok update(I finally got ds at home to do this!) did the credit karma verification with the license etc- so ds has a score of 791, age of oldest acct is over 11 years(mine) !!! so why did discover deny him? is it recommended we call back to ask, or just let it ride and try again in 30 days? I'm really wondering if maybe a freedom card isn't better for Ds on his first card now since his 'history' is already with chase? wwyd?

Not sure why he was denied....that’s a solid score...maybe he is better off applying for a chase Freedom since as you said his history is with them

I know @miztressuz gave you an excellent explanation. I'm going to follow up with food for thought on the three cards for any who are not comfortable going for multiple business cards with Chase, slower paced churners etc. If I were below 5/24 and starting out again I'd be of two minds on choosing which business card with Chase. I'd be torn between the highest sign up bonus and the card I know will earn me the most UR points long term. I am gathering from your post that cash back is more important to you than travel redemption or points that can be transferred to airlines and hotels. Generally, I am the polar opposite but let's assume for a moment that cash was king for me and my only travel is to WDW which I do not need airline tickets for since it is a 3 hour drive.

CIC 5x Office Supply Stores, internet cable phone, 2x gas, dining
CIP 3x Travel, Shipping, internet, cable, phone, advertising social media
CIBU - 1.5x

In a perfect world I would go for the CIP for the higher bonus and PC to the CIC after one year. BUT with the knowledge that Chase eliminated the Chase Ink Plus card which has the same bonus categories I'd be afraid that the CIC's current form may be on the chopping block. If I were more conservative minded and wanted to have a card to keep as a UR earning machine I'd be going for the CIC. The bonus categories would earn me more long term than either CIP or CIBU. I'm going to use a few examples with just my WDW expenses that do not involve flying anywhere so we don't offend the Plane Princess' sensibilities who is known to lurk here from time to time :rolleyes:

DVC annual dues on 1300 points is about $8,000 a year. DCL 3 day over a long weekend cruise $1500. Annual Platinum Plus Passes renewal about $1400 for the 2 of us. Cable, internet, phone $4000 a year give or take. Gas $2,000 a year give or take.

Office supply stores sell Disney gift cards. They also sell gift cards for many other 3rd party merchants so you can wind up earning 5x for much of your everyday shopping by making a quick pit stop at the office supply store.

CIC is going to earn me 78,500 UR points every year with no annual fee
CIP is going to earn me 44,700 in bonus categories with an annual fee of $95 which means I need to subtract that amount to cover the AF so 35,200 UR
CIBU will earn me 25,350 for the same amount of spend.

If I subtract the 35,200 from the 78,500 the CIC's earning potential covers the extra 30,000 UR points that you'd give up for a sign up bonus over the CIP.

I know our WDW expenses are not the norm but I think the example can help others look at their own expenses and spending patterns, what gift cards they may make good use of at the office supply stores and evaluate their choices that way. I hope this helps :flower3:

This helps! I was leaning toward the CIC card for both the bonus and rewards, but I hadn’t even thought about the fact that they sell gift cards as well. The 5% on those categories I already know I have costs for is a huge plus. I like the CIP for the large sign up bonus, but find it less attractive as a long term option, although the 3% on dining and travel is nice, but I would have to sienna lot just to meet the annual fee (as you pointed out).

I know the question isn’t directed at me but I’m gonna chime in anyhow.

I have the Ink+ (more or less equivalent with CIC), CSR, CF, CFU. Dh has the Ink+, CSR and 2 CF. We use them together to get 5x categories maxed out. CSR we use for travel and dining. The Ink+ earns the most because we use it at office supply stores to purchase gift cards. The Ink+ doesn’t exist anymore for new applications but the CIC has the same 5x bonus category. If I had to pick one of the current UR cards today for cash back purposes only it would be the CIC for the reasons I detailed ina previous post.

Thank you! I’ve made up my mind to start with this card first. It seems to be the best choice to add to what we already have, especially with no annual fee.

This helps! I was leaning toward the CIC card for both the bonus and rewards, but I hadn’t even thought about the fact that they sell gift cards as well. The 5% on those categories I already know I have costs for is a huge plus. I like the CIP for the large sign up bonus, but find it less attractive as a long term option, although the 3% on dining and travel is nice, but I would have to sienna lot just to meet the annual fee (as you pointed out).

Once you get the CIC and meet the $3,000 MSR...you can always apply for the CIP ;)

I just began this churning process 1 month ago. Today I received an offer for the AMEX Luxury card- 125k bonus, $5k in 3 mos.
I'm 4/24 after getting the CIC and CFU (applied on the same day, rookie mistake).
We've found that spending 5k in 3 mos won't be a problem after converting as much as we can to CC spending.
I ventured into this to use UR to pay for Disney vacations, but after the latest news, I'm up in the air.
My first thought after the news was to just use the UR to pay for flights, cars, etc and maximize other things (RMN, DOSH, Bonus categories) to accumulate Disney GCs to pay for the lodging.
My wife is 1/24, as she just received the CF.

I'd appreciate advice on whether I should go for AMEX card. When I began (after reading PointsGuy), I was going to get all things Chase, with the CSR being my next card around Nov, but now I'm not so sure.

I've already gleaned so much from all of you. :worship:

What is the expiry date on your amex offer? And what do you plan to use the 125K points, the free 50K night and the $300 credit for? All of these make the card worth it, but are the benefits in your plans? It also has priority pass and global entry credit, so not a shabby card at all. I've already gotten my $300 credit in the form of a gift card. I've also already had to pay the $450 annual fee, but for me that's like prepaying a room to get a cheaper rate, as I travel to places that I can use points and free nights.

The offer will make you 5/25 in Chase's eyes, but you could squeeze in another Chase card either before or after, depending on the offer ending. Then there are also Chase products that you don't have to be under 5/24 for.

The 125K is I believe a historically high offer for an Amex spg card. Both my son and my son in law got this offer, but neither of them will use it because they are not into this game like myself and my daughter.

This game will make you want things you had no interest in 5 minutes ago. The new Amex gold card they are talking about, for instance - I want it but had no interest in it previously.

There are so many good offers out there, especially for a 'new' player one and two, such as yourselves, that it is probably important to lay out a flexible plan with several options for your points and bonuses. Going to Disney on UR's was one option, now its time for option 2, which is still quite possible as @SouthFayetteFan has outlined for us.

Have him call and find out. It could be as simply as they couldn't verify something but can with him on the phone. Always better to call than wonder, especially before you start applying for other cards that could have the same outcome.

just read an article about the PRG becoming a (rose) gold card..... and have been too busy to notice all the chatter here about the PRG so now I'm confused...what card are people trying to get so desperately? the PRG,or the new one? and what offer is the one we're aiming to pull? I thought it was a charge card being talked about....:confused3

As I understand it, the PRG is being changed (name, substance and rewards earning) by Amex. PRG will become Amex Gold (like Amex Plat and Amex Green). So essentially PRG will be the new card but...some people like me who have the current (ugly) plastic goldish color are just excited to have a metal pink (rose gold) card. It's reported to be the same product (with some improved categories), I just have a rose gold phone and like pink :)

I can't tell you what offer is best to pull since mine is old(er) but suspect there's a 50k MR for either $1k spend (according to DoC). The rumored offer at opening is 25k MR for $2k spend so clearly if you can pull the 50k for 1k that's awesome.

The excitement on my part is 4x MR/dining and a heavy pink card.

ETA: It's not 100% known whether this will be a change of 1 product or a distinct new product. If it's the latter then there's even more excitement from folks who have opened and closed the PRG and are eligible for another Amex bonus. Time will tell for that aspect.

Last edited:
[TDSAXX said:
Why do people have to get so greedy? The RMN offers are great; but if people start setting up 4 or 5 accounts it’s going to kill the deal.]

hate to say it but this is true... :\

Umm....yes, people are going to kill deals. Think on the grand scale of Tesla guy. If I could have figured out how to get a Tesla first, doubt I would have worried about any of you! But I'm definitely not motivated to that extreme.

But, we only have control of ourselves unless the originator of the deal does something to stop multiple redemptions, so have at it. @Oscar Madison can have my share as I'm too lazy to participate.

If you've been at this game long enough to include credit cards, couponing or anything that provides income extras for people, its only there until its gone and the quickest draw usually benefits the most.

What is the expiry date on your amex offer? And what do you plan to use the 125K points, the free 50K night and the $300 credit for? All of these make the card worth it, but are the benefits in your plans? It also has priority pass and global entry credit, so not a shabby card at all. I've already gotten my $300 credit in the form of a gift card. I've also already had to pay the $450 annual fee, but for me that's like prepaying a room to get a cheaper rate, as I travel to places that I can use points and free nights.

The offer will make you 5/25 in Chase's eyes, but you could squeeze in another Chase card either before or after, depending on the offer ending. Then there are also Chase products that you don't have to be under 5/24 for.

The 125K is I believe a historically high offer for an Amex spg card. Both my son and my son in law got this offer, but neither of them will use it because they are not into this game like myself and my daughter.

This game will make you want things you had no interest in 5 minutes ago. The new Amex gold card they are talking about, for instance - I want it but had no interest in it previously.

There are so many good offers out there, especially for a 'new' player one and two, such as yourselves, that it is probably important to lay out a flexible plan with several options for your points and bonuses. Going to Disney on UR's was one option, now its time for option 2, which is still quite possible as @SouthFayetteFan has outlined for us.
The expiration date is 12/7/18. My tentative plan is to take two Disney trips in 2019 with family, with another trip somewhere else for just me and the the missus.
I'm not familiar with SPG or MR at all, but I would like to use these points to offset lodging/airfare,etc.
I plan to get up to speed with these programs, as I only feel like I have a limited knowledge of the Chase program.

I've always liked Rose gold and have several pieces of jewelry that will match it.

My best friend has a rose gold engagement ring and wedding band and they’re stunning. Not gonna lie, kind of wish I’d thought of requesting that from DH first haha. She inherited her diamond though so her husband only had to buy her the nice setting and get the diamond set. It’s truly beautiful.

Yeah! I think I’m still on the fence. The sign up bonus is pretty nice!
So here's a couple of comparisons...

Let's assume you don't hit ANY of the bonus category on either card AND you redeem the URs for cash...
  • CIP = 80,000 URs bonus + 5,000 URs base = 85,000 URs for spending $5,000. $850 cash back (minus $95 AF) = $755 for spending $5,000 (15% return)
  • CIC = 50,000 URs bonus + 3,000 URs base = 53,000 URs for spending $3,000. $530 cash back (no AF) = $530 for spending $3,000 (17.6% return)

In another scenario, let's assume you put ALL the MSR in the bonus category AND you get a CSR card later AND you redeem at 1.50x for travel...
  • CIP = 80,000 URs bonus + 15,000 URs from MSR (3x) = 95,000 URs for spending $5,000. $1,425 towards travel (minus $95 AF) = $1,330 for spending $5,000 (26.6% return)
  • CIC = 50,000 URs bonus + 15,000 URs from MSR (5x) = 65,000 URs for spending $3,000. $975 towards travel (no AF) = $975 for spending $3,000 (32.5% return)
The truth of what you get will probably lie somewhere in between these two scenarios...

I'll give you one other thought...You could get a CIP and then refer your player 2 to a CIP. That would mean the 2nd CIP is worth a minimum of 105,000 URs (80k bonus, 5k MSR, 20k refer). You can't do that with CIC...

I don't know that there is a RIGHT answer to this...but there is a lot to consider in your long term plan on how to generate an awesome return!! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!