I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to finish my last two Best Buy Amex offers (had them on 6 cards). With the Swagbucks deal having converted to once per day, I ended up FINALLY finishing them on 3 cards so far, but it's exhausting. @Lain I have the utmost respect for you given how quickly you made 18(or more?) trips cause my 18 so far as been a slug.

Now that the offer is slated to expire on Monday, I'm probably just going to buy the $300 on the last 3 cards online; unless I dig deep and find the will to go today, tomorrow, and Sunday :faint:.

I also opened my giftcard box yesterday to throw in ones from my trip yesterday and :scared1:. I'm floating A LOT at the moment between gas, groceries, retail, restaurants. I've been able to use up some of the grocery ones, thankfully. And of course, ChasePay is the next category for Q4, on top of the fact that I will probably have one or two more cards to hit by year end :sad2:

Perhaps, I should just actually slow down (that WAS the plan until the Biz Plat, Hilton Biz, Citi AA Biz, and Lux) :snail:

Shoot, the Swagbucks deal ends Monday? I was going to do some on the Chase Pay deal...

Even if you have an immediate use/need for the vanilla Platinum, you should never settle for the 60k offer. It's not too difficult (for many) to pull the 75k/$5k offer via incognito.

This is a great rule to follow. But all rules have exceptions :P If you have already opened one for 100k and then cancelled it when the AF hits the following year and you find a 60k offer for the same card a few months later with no lifetime language, then it’s ok to get the 60k offer. :-)

@calypso726 - aren't you on your way to see Hamilton at the KC tomorrow night? Can't wait for a selfie from the KC Terrace with the Monument in the background - just a suggestion for our entertainment!.

Yup! I’m catching up on the thread while relaxing at the Centurion lounge waiting for our flight to DC tonight. Hmmm, selfie, ok, I’ll see what I can do!

Anyone that did PNC how long did it take for your debit card to come? Been waiting over a week!

I think PNC took a little longer, but it wasn't much more than a week, maybe it was 10 days? I didn't pay too much attention since I set my PIN number when I opened the account so I could create my online account without it.

Thank you both and others who have replied. Not worried about getting miles to use for this flight as my husbands ticket will be reimbursed. I typically apply for new cards, then refer my husband but didn’t think about him referring me for Amex....so maybe this could be a good option.

If I go the Amex way is it possible to get my account number before I receive the actual card in the mail so I could purchase the tickets right away?

It's possible but it's not guaranteed. Amex takes about a week to arrive normally. Since it's an AmEx card, and not a cobrand, you may have success getting it expedited if you don't get the instant number.

I am with you! We just moved ours from State Farm to Geico yesterday and the agent wanted to know how I wanted to bill and pay for it...Ummm....yearly and here's my CC # :)
You’re going to love how easy it is to switch cards on their site too!

I was out all day and when I came home my fancy box and wooden phone holder and card were here waiting for me. DH doesn't remember what came with his AMEX platinum card (it's been 7 years since he received his - shun us if you want) and looked a bit jealous. :rotfl:Now I just have to make sure this card pays for itself.

Well that was quick but we went ahead and booked a preferred room at ASmovies for December 1-5. Didn’t buy plane tickets yet but figured might as well get the room since there isn’t a lot of availability left. Our plan is to do 2 MVMCP and DAH. I also want to squeeze in surfing lessons at typhoon lagoon but idk if they do them in December.

Nice! Another trip! I am very jealous of your airfare. We are lucky if it's under $600 from here, per person. Maybe it's better though since the price and the long flights keep me from booking return trips to WDW too often? Have a magical trip! I booked those surfing lessons for my DD years ago - so much fun!

Opinions on going for the lower-value 60K Platinum instead of waiting for a potentially 100K offer? This would be for dh who would not be getting any Chase biz cards (has CSP only; 1/24).

I see many people answered already, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. I wasn't willing to settle for 60K. 75K not likely. It takes around 120K MR or more to book the kind of flights we like (overseas, business or first class), and 60K isn't close enough to that for me. Plus it kills me when there is a great offer out there and I'm settling for half of it. But really it depends on how soon you need those points, how many you need, and what you want to do with them. If I only needed 70 or so and I needed them soon I might take a lesser offer.

I never buy any in the parks. The only ones I actually buy are from the resorts we stay at. When we stayed at Coronado in July we actually got cute construction pins in our room for free! Those are super fun. I still need to get one from akl, and idk if the port Orleans have separate ones.

Back when my DD was little we use to buy her pins as souvenirs of our WDW trips. Usually one from each park and one from the resorts (we usually do split stays) we stayed at. She didn't trade them, and doesn't want any now that she is older, but they are still on display in her room. Happy memories.

WELL...I can see all my base points pending on my CSR and CSP which means at midnight tonight my charges will post. As of tomorrow I will have met the $4k MSR on both the CSP and CSR (and on the SAME day & SAME transaction I might add due to my extreme paranoia, lol!).

Thus I will begin the "waiting for bonus to go pending game"... Yaaaay.........maybe...

So our MSRs were done in August, and DH went ahead and pushed payment on both accounts so that they are paid up at this point. Last he checked the bonuses weren't even showing up as pending, just the points from the spend. Another DP for you. I'll update if anything changes.

I don't think I'm ever going to get caught up but I just had to tell you all I booked my flight for next spring/summer to South Africa- And by that I mean I decided I AM freaking going to the Seychelles first! Because points guys! I've got them I might was well spend them before the next rule changes on me! And while I'm gonna be solo in the Seychelles I love a beautiful beach so I'm super excited!!

I gave up on getting a q-suite flight when I found space on LAX-DOH with Qatar, a positioning flight to LAX will be easy for me to get pretty cheap, and I have about 8 hours in DOH before I connect to a flight to SEZ. All in business class!! First call to AA in the US got me booked, the guy knew what he was doing and 75k AA miles and $15 later I've got my flight to the Seychelles in QR business class! Even though it's not q-suite the biz class is supposed to be nice even in the old 2-2-2 layout. Now to book my SEZ-JNB flight once I get hold of my ThankYou Premier points and pick a hotel!! I plan on transferring TY to Etihad for booking air seychelles direct. No availability in biz right now but I can handle 5 hours in economy if I have to. It'll make my biz/first Cathay flights from JNB-HKG-LAX all the better ;)

Just finished my amex lux spend by paying my water bill and overpaying my electric bill. I already had a credit on my electric of about $28 and I added another $600 to that so I won't owe electric until after Xmas. Total fees for both transactions 1.75 and 1.95 so 3.70 to get it finished. Obviously I could have made the spend without any fees, but I just wanted it out of my hair! August 23rd apply to September 14 finish. I did have to snail mail the one payment with my credit card details, so that may hold things up until it posts. So, I'll keep using this card as well as 2 others for the next few weeks until things shake out.

Edit: checked and CMS has my Medicare payment pending on my Amex! That was fast! Spend is secured!!!!!!

Should get my points next week sometime.

Last edited:
So today was a credit card happy day for me...

I did my minimum spend for my Citi Prestige and woke up to a -250 balance (refund of my delta gift card) and 93,137 TY points (so clearly I stink at math to have more than the 87,500 I was expecting but I'll take it).
The delta gift card allowed up to reasonably fly to Mom's for Thanksgiving Day (still paid some but that's fine- MQMs!) and since its cost was refunded by Citi definitely win-win...MQMs and mashed potatoes-my favorites!

Also had my AmexDeltaPlat statement close and received 10,000 MQMs and 10,000 skypesos. Since I'm always chasing skymiles and appreciate having status (the no penalty for award ticket redeposit has been the best benefit for me!) I'm excited. Looks like I'll hit platinum again with some rollover MQMs to get started in 2018.

Waiting impatiently for the mail to bring Dad's amex gold (5000 mr points for $500 spend-AU on my platinum account), my disney chase (for the $200 credit after $500 spend) and my AmexDelta Gold (yes, I know, who needs all 3?) so I can get the 60,000 skymiles. After those arrive I'll definitely be done with new cards for a while and then will cull the herd.

I agree with @calypso726 that having an end game is crucial. Fortunately I have definite plans for 2020 and fuzzy plans for 2019 so making progress on both fronts.

Hi Tink or anyone else who might be able to clarify the statement bolded and underlined above. This was from waaayyyy back in 2017. Is that still a thing? I'm thinking not as I haven't seen it mentioned recently, but just checking - thanks!

I don't think I'm ever going to get caught up but I just had to tell you all I booked my flight for next spring/summer to South Africa- And by that I mean I decided I AM freaking going to the Seychelles first! Because points guys! I've got them I might was well spend them before the next rule changes on me! And while I'm gonna be solo in the Seychelles I love a beautiful beach so I'm super excited!!

I gave up on getting a q-suite flight when I found space on LAX-DOH with Qatar, a positioning flight to LAX will be easy for me to get pretty cheap, and I have about 8 hours in DOH before I connect to a flight to SEZ. All in business class!! First call to AA in the US got me booked, the guy knew what he was doing and 75k AA miles and $15 later I've got my flight to the Seychelles in QR business class! Even though it's not q-suite the biz class is supposed to be nice even in the old 2-2-2 layout. Now to book my SEZ-JNB flight once I get hold of my ThankYou Premier points and pick a hotel!! I plan on transferring TY to Etihad for booking air seychelles direct. No availability in biz right now but I can handle 5 hours in economy if I have to. It'll make my biz/first Cathay flights from JNB-HKG-LAX all the better ;)

SQUEEEEEEEE!!!! That is so awesome! Pleeease post pics and a trip report when you go! You will be the only person I “know” who has been to Seychelles. So I’d love to hear about your experience and I’m sure we all want to see pics!

I don't know how to link to individual comments, but I got a kick out of one of the questions on the r/churning Daily Question Thread. Not that infertility is ever a laughing matter, but someone said they were about to spend 20k on fertility treatments and asked for a recommendation on what card to get. Someone asked what their goals were and another person responded "children."

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Sorry, I don't know why that made me laugh.

@SouthFayetteFan - I keep forgetting to comment on the thread. I filled out the survey, but didn't add any suggestions. I'm ok with whatever you end up doing but I wanted to suggest that if you start a new thread you grab the first few posts so that you can later add on basic info and refer people to page one. Kind of like the resort-specific threads do, where they put all the basic info up front so people don't have to search for it somewhere in the middle of the thread or ask. In other words, hold several posts in case you'll need to use them later on.

I don't know how to link to individual comments, but I got a kick out of one of the questions on the r/churning Daily Question Thread. Not that infertility is ever a laughing matter, but someone said they were about to spend 20k on fertility treatments and asked for a recommendation on what card to get. Someone asked what their goals were and another person responded "children."

They're gonna need all the points they can get for that extra plane seat. If it "takes" more successfully than expected, they may need more seats and even a suite at hotels.

Yipee! A DL Amex question :)

Benefits of Gold-lower AF $95
first year AF waived
3K spend in 4 months
60,000 skymiles if above spend met (offer ends 9/19)
first checked bag free

Benefits of Plat- AFTER first year, companion pass (economy/economy comfort plus in certain fare buckets)-you buy a ticket in these fare buckets
and your companion flies for taxes only (this is continental US only...unless your home address is HI/AK)
if you spend 3 K in 3 months 70,000 skymiles
with 25k spend in 1 CALENDAR year, 10, 000 skymiles and 10, 000 MQMs (x2 so $50 k spend would earn 20,000 skymiles/mqms)
first checked bag free

Cons of Gold- no companion fee
no incentive for high spend

Cons of Plat- higher AF NOT waived first year
companion certificate has some limitations (although I have always found it use-able) and doesn't kick in until after first year

Also, if you're trying to stay under 5.24, the business cards currently have the same offers until 9/19 as well.

IF you don't think you'll need a companion ticket AND/OR don't care about chasing status (which would be my suggestion because it can be a crazy maker), I'd go for the DL Amex Gold personal or biz. If you fly somewhere even once a year with someone else especially on an expensive route, the Amex DL Plat Pers on Biz might be a better fit (with the understanding that it's a year long wait for that).

Please ask if you have any other questions...I've had the Reserve, Plat and Gold and feel that for now the Plats are keepers for me. I might upgrade to Reserve at some point but right now am happy with the Plats. That said, nothing wrong with gold.

Hope this helps!

Are MQM's based on mileage or legs or dollars? Is there a specific ration like 1 MQM per flight mile?

@Alice Sr. pretty sure @tink1970 answered your questions but I would add (also because yippee Delta question) I also haven’t ever had a problem using the companion certificate on the Delta Plats. I see both the personal and business Plats as keeper cards...but I like to keep cards that have some value for the AF. The gold fee is not that much less when you figure you don’t get much other than the initial sign up bonus. It is nice to have one of the cards (either gold or plat) if you fly Delta just for the baggage fees. The business Plat has had a lot better Amex offers this last year than the personal.

I think this has been mentioned but I don't recall the answer, do you just have the year to use the companion cert?

@SBWB48 - or anyone else that may be interested: I was in my Lux account so much today that I noticed I had gotten 3095 points posted. So I hopped on over to look at my Marriott account. For SPG Lux hotel spend I got 960 points. Of course I only spent $300 on the gift card. So I'm not getting the math here. Any ideas? I also had base spend and dining/travel points, but the hotel spend number is making me wonder if somehow the $60 credit generated points?

Well, since the BoA Biz Cash for P2 was a no-go, tonight I tried for the Wells Fargo Cash Wise. Recently opened a WF personal checking for the bonus, so I was hoping that would help. Also denied there. Too many accounts and inquiries in the last 3 months (she has 2 new accounts, 3 inquiries). So that's a little weird. I know WF is tough, but I thought this one would be good. Guess not. Recon rep said it's a hard denial due to the reason, and there's no overturning. The only thing to do is try again in a few months after the accounts age. Annoying, but such is life I guess.

Ok, that's pretty good. To grab the link, right click on "permalink" under the parent comment and "Copy link address."

That is AWESOME!!! LOLOLOL!

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c...n_thread_september_14_2018/e5zp5b0/?context=3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter