I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot of stuff I've read on Chase is they want you have your own credit history for at least 6 months before they give you a card, just being AU doesn't cut it. So not sure about either of the Freedoms. I'd start with Discover, and I'm guessing he's a student somewhere so put that down and get the student discover, and he can still use his AU card for places that don't take it for the first few months. Once he's got at least 6 months of good history on his own, then go for the "fun" cards like CFU :p
good plan...altho he's currently not technically a student at the moment since he's between high school and his trade school plans..... (just a hardworking teen that's all) can I still get him a student card? or just go for a regular one?

@LuckyMamaInDE - I agree with @striker1064. Never take the 60k offer. If you really want the Platinum, at least try to pull the 75k offer that’s fairly easy to get via incognito.

Last month, it took me only about 5 minutes to pull these two increased offers on the PRG and Platinum using Chrome browser on incognito mode and Private Internet Access VPN set to the US Seattle servers. I tried it again on the same VPN and network settings using Safari private mode and got the same offers.

duoFtbH.png

I tried different combinations of private/incognito modes on Chrome, Safari, and Opera browsers, and connecting my VPN to different big city servers around the US (I tried, California, Silicon Valley, Chicago, New York, then finally Seattle worked). In the incognito window, I typed in americanexpress .com, click on the Personal Cards graphic, see the 50k special offer for the PRG (which is good, but not what you want), click Rewards Points Cards in the nav bar, and find the 75k special offer on the personal Platinum. If you don’t have a VPN, Opera has a built-in VPN, so you can try that.

Thank you! I had forgotten about the VPN trick. I will definitely be trying that :)

Regarding MR's. Just starting to delve into the whole AMEX MR thing. No immediate plans for international travel and not sure if I will do the Schwab thing.

I was on the site today and you can cash out for gift cards. (some better than others). So, was looking at 2 options possibly for the future if I don't use the points for anything else. They have Carnival Gift Cards at a 1:1 ratio - we like to cruise so this is an option. I noticed they also have Staples Gift Cards at a 1:1 ratio. Can those be use to buy other 3rd Party Gift Cards? And does Staples sell Disney GC?

Looking for advice...need to purchase 2 round trip tickets (most likely AA or United but possibly delta). Is it worth it to open a new card (tickets look to be about $700-$850 total)? We don’t fly often (next flight will be thanksgiving 2019).
I currently have freedom, Disney Visa, Discover, and BestBuy credit cards. My husband has discover,Disney, and a basic Amex.
The tickets need to be purchased very soon as the trip is next month.
Open to any suggestions! Thanks!
The answer from most here would be, yes. It’s what this thread is all about. To get more specific recommendations, we need more info from you. Which exact cards did you and your husband open and on what dates?

That said, you may not have the points in time for a flight next month but you may be able to get free bags, and the have enough points/miles for the flight next year. It is not too early to plan for November 2019 (I booked tix to Vancouver for May 2019 331 days before my flight)

good plan...altho he's currently not technically a student at the moment since he's between high school and his trade school plans..... (just a hardworking teen that's all) can I still get him a student card? or just go for a regular one?

it's the same card, the only difference is if you list your occupation as student you get the "student" card that has an extra good grades incentive for $20 stmt credit a year. maybe he can get that added later once he starts school, if he gets the card.

Need some advice on what to do with my CSR. I just got hit with the annual fee. My original plan was to just cancel and reapply in a year but that’s off the table with the new 48 month rule.
I can downgrade to the CSP but I’m really wondering if I should bother with it. I barely eat out so no 3x on dining. We are traveling to Disney in Nov but that is all pretty much paid for. We have no big travel plans for at least two years.
My biggest thing for having the CSR was the bonus and the 1.5 redemption rate. The redemption rate is great but I can’t see myself getting enough URs on my Freedoms (already have freedom and unlimited) to pay for a whole hotel stay or cruise.
I downgraded CSR to CSP (after using the travel credit) and will upgrade when I need it to book thru UR portal. Make sure to use GE/Precheck Credit first.

Regarding MR's. Just starting to delve into the whole AMEX MR thing. No immediate plans for international travel and not sure if I will do the Schwab thing.

I was on the site today and you can cash out for gift cards. (some better than others). So, was looking at 2 options possibly for the future if I don't use the points for anything else. They have Carnival Gift Cards at a 1:1 ratio - we like to cruise so this is an option. I noticed they also have Staples Gift Cards at a 1:1 ratio. Can those be use to buy other 3rd Party Gift Cards? And does Staples sell Disney GC?

No GC > GC at Staples. Staples does sell Disney.

None of the 1cpp options that I know of can be turned into Disney (or other GC like that). Walmart/Sam's is still allowing GC > GC for now, but they're .6 or .7cpp so at that point may as well just take a statement credit and at least earn something from the purchase first.

I don’t think it matters what link you use when signing up. My DD used a link thru Dischurners that was not a student card but hers is. And my sis was able to use my DDs link even though she is not a student to get a regular Discover.

If you're not looking to open up many cards in the near future, it's not as much a concern on what or where you get a card now. So almost anything is probably more worthwhile then putting it on what you already have. With the CC issuer restrictions, I assume you're eligible for anything right now? Are you saving space for any particular card later?

Your DH can refer you to the Blue Cash, then he'd get cashback and you'd get the $200 bonus once you spent $1k in 3 months. Since your tickets knock out most of that it should be doable even with minimal spending. (not sure how much your husband would get, could be $100?)

Or you could both open a lower MSR card and charge each ticket separately to double up. You could refer your husband to the Freedom card, you get $100 and he'd get the $150 after $500 in spend. Then you could get the Freedom Unlimited card for the same $150 bonus. Might be more lucrative but less convenient to buy each ticket separately that way.

BoA has an offer for the Cash Rewards card of $200 bonus after $500 in spend, could each go that way too. Or would you like hotel points? For example, the Hilton no fee card is 75k - 100k points after $1k spend, depending on the offer. That's 2-3 nights at least for free which seems comparable at least (if not more depending on location) to the cash offers.

The answer from most here would be, yes. It’s what this thread is all about. To get more specific recommendations, we need more info from you. Which exact cards did you and your husband open and on what dates?

That said, you may not have the points in time for a flight next month but you may be able to get free bags, and the have enough points/miles for the flight next year. It is not too early to plan for November 2019 (I booked tix to Vancouver for May 2019 331 days before my flight)

Thank you both and others who have replied. Not worried about getting miles to use for this flight as my husbands ticket will be reimbursed. I typically apply for new cards, then refer my husband but didn’t think about him referring me for Amex....so maybe this could be a good option.

If I go the Amex way is it possible to get my account number before I receive the actual card in the mail so I could purchase the tickets right away?

$300 SPG credit hit today and $60 Amex credit hit yesterday. So similar to everyone else it took two days on the Amex offer and three for the SPG credit. Gift card is in the fire box.

DH had the 100k upgrade offer; that was an easy decision. My offer is only 15k, and I'm still trying to decide. My anniversary date is Oct 7, so I need to make a decision if I want to do the 300K credit twice (assuming it really does work this way - wish we knew for sure).

Anyone know if a $25 push from a Wells Fargo brokerage account is considered direct deposit to trigger the $300 chase bonus?

So my statement closed this week. balance 0 as I paid it right after I made the purchase since I can't figure out how to set up auto pay. No AF yet and no miles (other than 2 which equals my purchase).
Their website is crappy and weird, simultaneously. There are actually two accounts, the master (company) account, and the card/user account. The AF posted in the company account, but doesn’t show on the user account. And the one $4 charge on the user account shows on the master account, along with the AF, then it shows I paid $99 (95 AF +4)with 0 balance but the user account still says balance $4 :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter