I love credit cards so much!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by FairestOfThemAll37, Jul 18, 2016.

1. brownhaired_girl

brownhaired_girl DIS Veteran

I’m more than a little envious of someone having a handy DIY husband. As wonderful as my husband is, projects around the house aren’t on his list. The last time the wax ring on the toilet needed changing, it wasn’t DH that did it. I figured I may as well just change out the whole toilet. Well.... you know how you are supposed to put a silicone bead around the base of the toilet? I siliconed the whole bottom. Bad plan:rolleyes1. If/ when it ever needs to be taken out, the floor will need to come out also.

vanjust14, kmc8826, mmmears and 3 others like this.
  2. disneymagicgirl

disneymagicgirl Been there, Done that, Going back!

Amazon and my hubs have a love affair every weekend. I know what went down by Monday morning when I have a pile of packages at my doorstep. >:(
    I just went in and changed the default card on his account to his new amex we are meeting MSR on. Thx for the reminder.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. SouthFayetteFan

SouthFayetteFan Saving Money on Disney Vacations since 2006

WELL...I can see all my base points pending on my CSR and CSP which means at midnight tonight my charges will post. As of tomorrow I will have met the $4k MSR on both the CSP and CSR (and on the SAME day & SAME transaction I might add due to my extreme paranoia, lol!).

Thus I will begin the "waiting for bonus to go pending game"... Yaaaay.........maybe...

5. miztressuz

miztressuz DIS Veteran

Since we've got a bunch of pin traders here, maybe you can help me find a source for "bulk" pins for trading. I trade for keepers, so I'm running out of pins I'm willing to part with :p Many years ago now I bought a couple lots from ebay for a family trip to give all the kiddies a cheap starter set to trade. I've been using the leftovers for my own trades, but I realized I got a small percentage of scrappers and I felt bad trading them with kids after I realized it. I imagine most didn't realize it... and at the same time most probably don't care cuz they don't realize it, or it still looked cool so they don't care :) But if their parents paid good money for legit and they trade for fakes I'm sure they're a little salty about it at least. I pulled the obvious ones but if I had others only an expert would know, so that seemed acceptable to me.

Is there a reputable place most folks go now? I've bought some here and there from Disney when they go on clearance for cheap, but as we all know that's almost an oxymoron so it's few and far between. Need to replenish the stash before next trip. Since that's sometime in the distant future I don't need many right away, but I'd rather buy one lot of random ones even if it's smaller (5/10/15) for a set price than pick out individuals.

6. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

No. Generally, you only earn Marriott points for a stay booked through Marriott’s own channels.

tink1970 and MrPTato like this.
  7. FloridaNative8

FloridaNative8 Mouseketeer

I did that also... I stumbled upon this thread, out of sheer curiosity due to the amount of activity. I'm glad I did! I read through a lot, so I was prepared when I made my first inquiry into my strategy. Now I make sure to check a couple of times a day to keep up. I may not post much, but I'm definitely reading and soaking in all of the knowledge, with the hope I can contribute in the near future!

8. Judique

Judique Dis Veteran, Beach Lover at BWV, BCV, HHI, VB

Yes, that night is good for up to $500 plus at some IHG's. And mine cost $49. I will not upgrade that card and I will still be able to get about $300 plus value out of it at 40K points. Not a loser.
    I also have the Hyatt card and will be spending on it a bit more after I finish my SPG Lux spend (which I could do while sitting here doing 2 weeks worth of laundry now that my new set is installed.)

@calypso726 - aren't you on your way to see Hamilton at the KC tomorrow night? Can't wait for a selfie from the KC Terrace with the Monument in the background - just a suggestion for our entertainment!

Sheratons and Westins and Disney don't seem to be excluded. But, subject to change.

calypso726, palhockeymomof2 and Lain like this.
  9. FloridaNative8

FloridaNative8 Mouseketeer

Crossing my fingers and toes for you!!!

SouthFayetteFan likes this.
  10. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

@LuckyMamaInDE - I agree with @striker1064. Never take the 60k offer. If you really want the Platinum, at least try to pull the 75k offer that’s fairly easy to get via incognito.

Last month, it took me only about 5 minutes to pull these two increased offers on the PRG and Platinum using Chrome browser on incognito mode and Private Internet Access VPN set to the US Seattle servers. I tried it again on the same VPN and network settings using Safari private mode and got the same offers.

[​IMG]

I tried different combinations of private/incognito modes on Chrome, Safari, and Opera browsers, and connecting my VPN to different big city servers around the US (I tried, California, Silicon Valley, Chicago, New York, then finally Seattle worked). In the incognito window, I typed in americanexpress .com, click on the Personal Cards graphic, see the 50k special offer for the PRG (which is good, but not what you want), click Rewards Points Cards in the nav bar, and find the 75k special offer on the personal Platinum. If you don’t have a VPN, Opera has a built-in VPN, so you can try that.

11. alryan

alryan Earning My Ears

This sounds like a good idea to me

12. kidsfirsttrip

kidsfirsttrip DIS Veteran

Anyone that did PNC how long did it take for your debit card to come? Been waiting over a week!

13. palhockeymomof2

palhockeymomof2 DIS Veteran

Getting ready to apply for P2s CIC and wondering about the timing......if approved does anyone know if it can be expedited...if not how long it usually takes to arrive

14. Judique

I've got these cash back offers for 10% on my Amtrak card. 10% off 5 guys, Rosa Mexicano (might go this weekend), and a few others, Starbucks included. It will be small amounts from maybe $1 at Starbucks to $7 or $8 at Rosa Mex. (I think that one is capped at $10 anyway.) But each little bit is in addition to the points earned, if I can remember to use the card.

I've got about 150 pins going back to the nineties when I first started buying them. Some are pins I've traded for but most are purchases from WDW, with a few being DVC gift pins when they opened new resorts. I was going to put them up for sale a while back but older daughter wants to keep them as they clutter my house, not hers. I used to trade the extra DVC pins as I would get multiples from visiting so often in the early years. Hint: a good place to get great trades is at DHHIR. I wonder if Aulani is the same?

miztressuz likes this.
  15. CyndiLouWho

CyndiLouWho DIS Veteran

I thinks it’s Webmaster Doc

16. SBWB48

SBWB48 DIS Veteran

Looking to finish my last two Best Buy Amex offers (had them on 6 cards). With the Swagbucks deal having converted to once per day, I ended up FINALLY finishing them on 3 cards so far, but it's exhausting. @Lain I have the utmost respect for you given how quickly you made 18(or more?) trips cause my 18 so far as been a slug.

Now that the offer is slated to expire on Monday, I'm probably just going to buy the $300 on the last 3 cards online; unless I dig deep and find the will to go today, tomorrow, and Sunday :faint:.

I also opened my giftcard box yesterday to throw in ones from my trip yesterday and :scared1:. I'm floating A LOT at the moment between gas, groceries, retail, restaurants. I've been able to use up some of the grocery ones, thankfully. And of course, ChasePay is the next category for Q4, on top of the fact that I will probably have one or two more cards to hit by year end :sad2:

Perhaps, I should just actually slow down (that WAS the plan until the Biz Plat, Hilton Biz, Citi AA Biz, and Lux) :snail:

17. CyndiLouWho

CyndiLouWho DIS Veteran

Eh, start talking politics. Someone will show up ASAP. Don’t ask how I know:rolleyes1

18. CyndiLouWho

CyndiLouWho DIS Veteran

Took 3 days for Barclays to send an email for the AABiz DH got. I didn’t tell him until after the email came since I was like, hmm maybe not approved

19. georgina

georgina DIS Veteran

Thanks. I had not heard the term CL cycling before so had to look it up. I did send a SM asking them to transfer some from one of his other cards (did not specify which) and paid off the current balance because there are more charges coming soon which could have put it over the $1000 limit. Then I called DH who is traveling and he said he did have a missed call from Delaware but no message, and updated him in case they call him again.

20. Judique

I've got that PRG offer on my Lux card but I've never been offered more than 60K on the Plat. Not looking to apply for either anytime soon as I may have some other fish to fry before I go for any more Amex, (although I do know they are charge so could be slipped in with the right spend available to me.)

21. disneybirds

disneybirds DIS Veteran

I know several people have already suggested the Discover cards. Here is an article from Frequent Miler and first card. https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/09/20/teens-first-credit-card/ The article is about a year old, but hopefully can give some guidance. We bank at Wells Fargo and our DD ended up getting a card there.