I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Marriott website has gone wonky. You can search for a room but you can't select it, or sign in. There's a pop up saying they are 'on it'.

Also, the new point prices for rooms are showing now. I thought those weren't in effect until 2019?

Lots of IT problems for Marriott....hope they get it together soon. After all, it's been 2 years.....
The new points chart went into effect yesterday but they delayed the highest category and the peak/off peak pricing until 2019.

So if you had a choice to collect any hotel points which hotel group would you choose? DH has some travel coming up so thinking Marriott but figured this group would be great to get input from.

Our upcoming travel goals are disney land, gibraltar(spelling) universal studios Orlando.

According to TPG, there is supposed to be a combine account feature on the Marriott site so you can combine your sPG and Marriott points and stays. Ummm, why should I have to do that when I had my accounts linked? Stupid, stupid, stupid. That will put me at 24 nights so I’ll easily hit Gold...maybe I should aim for Platinum, it’s only 19 more nights.

So tomorrow we board the Disney Wonder. We’re in Vancouver today (Delta suites is fantastic). This trip would never have been possible without the amazing people on this thread, the swagbucks thread, and the Disney gift card thread. Was able to pay for two rooms for two nights in Vancouver with Marriott points, flights with ur points, Vancouver activities with ur points, saved about $1500 paying with Disney gift cards, and used 12 months of swagbucks earnings ($1500 or so) to offset excursion costs. You guys are the best—so helpful and kind!

I hope you and your family have an awesome time! Your trip sounds like it's off to a great start!

With all the bad news going on this weekend, thought I'd share a comment from reddit that made me giggle: (https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/98jiq0/daily_discussion_thread_august_19_2018/e4hewic/)

"
You know you have been churning too much when you see this at the bottom of your gift card receipt:

https://imgur.com/a/uG7Ah0p

and the first things you think is how many times you could apply, get hired, and quit before they stopped hiring you/giving you the hiring bonus.

"

The good Dr got my upvote for the giggle :)

So tomorrow we board the Disney Wonder. We’re in Vancouver today (Delta suites is fantastic). This trip would never have been possible without the amazing people on this thread, the swagbucks thread, and the Disney gift card thread. Was able to pay for two rooms for two nights in Vancouver with Marriott points, flights with ur points, Vancouver activities with ur points, saved about $1500 paying with Disney gift cards, and used 12 months of swagbucks earnings ($1500 or so) to offset excursion costs. You guys are the best—so helpful and kind!
Please share when you get back. I can’t wait to hear! 280 days until our cruise which means
278 days until we arrive in Vancouver!

A few weeks ago, I shared that my MIL was in the hospital. She passed away last night. She had been in declining health for some time, and has had numerous medical scares over the last few years, but she was the most uplifting and optimistic person despite all that. My wife spent over a week with her, and left her mother on the mend, in high spirits, and looking forward to us visiting again over the holidays. She began not feeling well again a few days ago, but it was touch and go. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), the end was very sudden. Sadly, we weren’t able to say our final goodbyes in person. My wife is on a flight home to Hawaii now, paid for entirely with points, so one less thing to worry about. My daughter and I will be flying to Hawaii in a few days once funeral arrangements are finalized. I wish I had picked up this hobby years ago, which would’ve meant a lot more trips to Hawaii for my wife to see her mom and my daughter to get to know the amazing woman who was her grandma. But my MIL wouldn’t want us to live with regrets, and she was always happy with what she had. Small solace that we don’t have to worry about the cost of flying to and from Hawaii now. Thank you all for your well wishes.

Wow. 8/18 was a terrible day.
Sorry for your loss! Don’t dwell on the trips you didn’t take but rather rejoice in the time you did spend together.

Just the same Marriott number I've had since about 2001.

I'm not particularly worried. I guess if I were trying to book a room, I might be a bit perturbed, but I do have the 2 Marriott Chase card bonuses sitting in my Marriott account, so I can function if necessary.

However, I had a points room booked for January, so that 10K room is also missing in action right now, so all told 81K plus SPG points.

And, I also have an update email from Starwood listing the amount of my points - 71250 - as well as the emails where I made my points reservation so I have some sort of 'proof' if necessary.
If you go to Starwood website now and try to log in, you may find yourself assigned a new number. This morning when I checked, Marriott had my 400 points but SPG had nothing, no points, no reservations. Later I tried and when I logged into SPG, I got a page saying I have a new account number, like @Alexle2007 reported. I haven’t played with it further to see if I could link or merge them, but at least the new account had my points and reservations. I do have screenshots of SPG points and res, just in case.

Is there any reason I should wait to make a payment on cards that I am meeting the MSRs on if they haven't had their statements close yet?

If you go to Starwood website now and try to log in, you may find yourself assigned a new number. This morning when I checked, Marriott had my 400 points but SPG had nothing, no points, no reservations. Later I tried and when I logged into SPG, I got a page saying I have a new account number, like @Alexle2007 reported. I haven’t played with it further to see if I could link or merge them, but at least the new account had my points and reservations. I do have screenshots of SPG points and res, just in case.

The Starwood site just goes to the Marriott site for me with nothing showing. Earlier today it recognized me as a Marriott Rewards member. Now, nada. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I did receive a couple of emails from Marriott, first acknowledging my email and second to say they were working on it and that my email was helpful in locating the problems.

Hmmm. Wondering if I should use my “new” SPG number when applying for the SPG Lux.

Is there any reason I should wait to make a payment on cards that I am meeting the MSRs on if they haven't had their statements close yet?
There is absolutely no logical data to support this...but some of the Shutdown comments had worries about paying your bill multiple times during a billing cycle OR paying it early.

Thus...I have always let my statement close and paid it in one payment then (also always from the same bank account). Am I paranoid...yes...will I be getting shutdown...NO! haha!

There is absolutely no logical data to support this...but some of the Shutdown comments had worries about paying your bill multiple times during a billing cycle OR paying it early.

Thus...I have always let my statement close and paid it in one payment then (also always from the same bank account). Am I paranoid...yes...will I be getting shutdown...NO! haha!
Thanks! I was reading some of the shutdown reports and saw people reference "credit limit cycling" and multiple payments and I got concerned. I have done multiple payments and let statements close at $0.00 with other banks, but I do not want to upset Chase. I will just let the balances grow and statements close and patiently wait for my points.

Thank you @miztressuz for tagging me on the "spreadsheets" comment. I do enjoy my self-proclaimed title "King of Spreadsheets". I'll copy and paste that initial comment here and add another below:

CREDIT CARD TRACKING SPREADSHEET:
(Bold for fields I think are really important)
1) Issuer
2) Card Name - Highlighted Green if a Biz card that does not affect 5/24 status
3) Last 4 Digits
4) AU - used this to track when we used to add spouse as AU on cards - no X's have appeared in this column lately ;)
5) Date Approved - the sheet is sorted by this column
6) Date Cancelled - blank unless I cancelled the card
7) Annual Fee
8) Annual Bonus - things like 6k SW points, free IHG night, etc.
9) Signup Bonus - detail of the signup bonus I received on the card
10) Min Spend Amount
11) Date Bonus Received - helpful with Chase where you're tracking 24 months to get the bonus again
12) Bonus Value - an approximation of what the signup bonus was worth
13) % Return - Bonus Value DIVIDED BY Min Spend - neat to see my return
14) Notes - misc notes not captured elsewhere
15) Ongoing Rewards - field where I capture any category bonuses (i.e. Grocery 3% or Gas 3%, or Freedom 5% quarterly)
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
  • I have a separate section for my cards and my wife's cards.
  • I don't delete or re-sort deleted cards. I highlight them red but leave them in order of date approved. This way I can quickly identify which cards are still open AND my 5/24 status.
  • IF I PC a card - I'll make a note in the Card Name field...but leave the original name, I don't want to lose track of what that card was initially when I earned the bonus.
  • The fields above are the columns...the cards are the rows
I also STRONGLY recommend you keep track of all of your points in each program. If something goes wrong or fraud occurs, it would be helpful to know how many points you had. It also can help with tracking when points will expire.

LOYALTY ACCOUNTS TRACKING SPREADSHEET:

1) Program Name
2) Person - Me, Wife, or in the case of SW accounts our daughters
3) Points Balance - EXACT number of points in the account
6) As Of - Date I last checked the points balance
4) Last Activity - IF points expire, date of last qualifying activity
5) Expiration - IF points expire, the date they will expire based on the last activity column
7) Approx. Value - Based on MY valuation, how much these points are worth
8) Notes - Misc Notes
9) Membership ID - Rewards Account Number or ID

Is it just me...I cannot even figure out where to log in to marriott?? I don't have a sign in or log in like there used to be. Tried last night and thought it would clear up by today. Still nothing there ...???

Is it just me...I cannot even figure out where to log in to marriott?? I don't have a sign in or log in like there used to be. Tried last night and thought it would clear up by today. Still nothing there ...???
There is some continued maintenance going on this evening. It started earlier in the evening - I'd guess it will be back up in the morning.

No, this is happening to me also. Earlier today I could log in to Marriott and see my account, but not the Starwood side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!