I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a busy couple of weeks for me. FIL was put in hospice shortly before our Aruba trip on January 4th. Wasn’t sure if we would still go but DH was at peace with it. We got back the 10th and FIL passed away this morning. So we all got to spend more time with him even though he was not really there. But would squeeze your hand when talking to him. Glad we made it back before he passed.

On to lighter topics. Aruba trip was good. Had flights booked for 7 of us with AA reward flights. I knew my shutdown rate was low but you just didn’t know what could happen. Everything was fine. No issues at all. Stayed at the Marriott Renaissance and Marriott Stellaris with Marriott points. Liked both places very much. But boy Aruba is not cheap. Weather was great!!

So I had upgraded last April to the Amex Brilliant card and paid the $450 fee. I thought that the fee would not be due again until then but I just got hit with the annual fee again. Not sure if I should keep it. This year we have trips to Vegas/Disneyland and then an Alaskan Cruise and Caribbean Cruise. So not sure when I would get to take advantage of all the extras. Would love others input. Can I downgrade the card and the upgrade again if needed?

CSR annual fee was just paid in November so have a bit to think about that. But we normally book cruises with the points so will probably keep it. Unless they come up with a new SUB. DH may be eligible for that. Have to look at my spreadsheet but our internet has been down at work since yesterday afternoon. Cant get anything done. Everything is online!!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you made it back and had time to be there with him and say goodbye. :grouphug:

@punkin then yes they do! Specifically I’ve been watching a few AA flights that have really jumped around. HOWEVER- if you are using UR you could transfer to BA to book an AA flight which has a chart based on distance so it doesn’t change.
I have AA miles and UR points. My United points are just about gone. I also have a lot of MR points. I'm looking for Rome during Thanksgiving 2020. Any ideas?

Thanks. Seems wherever I have a chance to use PP it never works out. Didn’t even think to look at the Aruba airport. Then found out they had a lounge after sitting in the airport for 3 hours and 15 minutes before boarding. Duh!! Layover was in Miami where there was a restaurant good for $30 per person. 2 guests and I have 2 different cards. But not enough time between flights to take advantage.
After paying for all the food/drinks in Aruba it really makes me appreciate cruises even more with all the food included.
Sorry for the loss of your FIL.
We’re heading to Aruba in 7 weeks! Staying at the same resorts you did. Any recommendations on food? We’re a group of 5 adults. We are staying Tradewinds level at the Stellaris so we will have the lounge for breakfast, snacks and light lunches. Looking mostly for dinner recommendations. We booked a cabana for our day at Flamingo Beach. Thanks for the reminder about the lounge in AUA.

Geez Chase, had me worried, CIP application Friday AM not approved until late morning today!! I was sweating LOL. Of course I really need it tomorrow, but at least it's approved...

Congrats on the approval. FWIW, my recent CIP and P2's recent CIP both took close to a week for approval. My previous Chase experiences were getting approval the next business day, so we were on edge!

Much of our ride share activity occurs in CA where Uber just changed its pricing policy in a negative way anyway, so its seems like we'll be better off with Lyft until they follow suit with their policy....
Yeah, that hadn't happened yet last week, but I'm sure it will up the price. I am also sure Lyft will follow suit shortly.

DH flew to Ontario airport and Uber wasn't even available there.

ETA: I don't have a Hilton or Delta number. YET

Rakuten sent me an email that I can earn Amex MRs instead of cash back. I think I want to continue with the cash back. Are MRs a better redemption? I do have an MR earning card. I use the MRs primarily to transfer to travel partners. I have been using my Rakuten money to pay DVC dues (but not locked into doing that). Convince me cash is better then MRs (or vice-versa) for these earnings.

Sorry for the loss of your FIL.
We’re heading to Aruba in 7 weeks! Staying at the same resorts you did. Any recommendations on food? We’re a group of 5 adults. We are staying Tradewinds level at the Stellaris so we will have the lounge for breakfast, snacks and light lunches. Looking mostly for dinner recommendations. We booked a cabana for our day at Flamingo Beach. Thanks for the reminder about the lounge in AUA.
That will be nice being at Tradewinds level. We ended up just walking into town each night. Lots of different restaurants. We ate at Iguana Joes and Smokey Joes and some Italian/French combo restaurant. That was really good. Had the wood fired oven for pizzas.
At Renaissance we ate at 5 o’clock somewhere which is in the little mall next to the hotel. Also at a BBQ place and had lunch on their private island. Had lots of fun but boy do those drinks and food add up.
We took a taxi from one hotel to the other an he stopped at a grocery store. We got some beer, captain and coke. Saved alot of money buying drinks. We brought a collapsible cooler from home and brought those to the beach at Stellaris. Also both hotels have beach towels so you dont need to bring any. And watch for the service charge/tip that they add on to most bills so you dont tip twice. We usually gave a little more. And lots of sunscreen. We were really good about reapplying but still ended up sunburned.

Welcome back :rotfl:

I forgot - it took a few days/posts before I could change my avatar etc., and it told me to stop spamming if I posted too often for a couple of days, but then it all went back to normal.

I haven't stayed at any of those Marriotts except the Fairfield. I thought it was a little bit tired, but it was fine. In general, I would pick a SpringHill or Courtyard over a Fairfield. I'm Marriott Platinum, so my thoughts about the different chains also have to do with status, and my preference between the brands has a lot to do with traveling with kids, .

Fairfield - breakfast is free and OK, rooms tend to be smaller. The one in the Marriott village had a room with a bunkbed (LO loved this). The room was small and dark, but reasonably clean.
SpringHill - standard room layout is good for the family - can usually get 2 doubles (or queens) plus a pullout in a standard room. Sometimes they have other room layouts which are even better (family suites) and I've had decent luck getting upgraded to those. I think their free breakfast is worse than Fairfield, actually, but will still get you fed in the morning for free.
Courtyard - no free breakfast. Rooms are just regular hotel rooms - kids have to share a queen sized bed (my kids really do not like sharing a bed). With Platinum status can get 2 vouchers for $10 each per night. This just about covers a breakfast sandwich + coffee most places. Not crazy about the breakfast sandwiches. Can also be used for snacks/other items at the Bistro (even booze), so if we aren't breakfasting at the hotel, this is sometimes a good thing.

Based on the prices you quoted, I'd pick the SpringHill suites, personally.
Thanks! I didn't realize that Courtyard didn't have breakfast. I think I'l book SpringHill. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Rakuten sent me an email that I can earn Amex MRs instead of cash back. I think I want to continue with the cash back. Are MRs a better redemption? I do have an MR earning card. I use the MRs primarily to transfer to travel partners. I have been using my Rakuten money to pay DVC dues (but not locked into doing that). Convince me cash is better then MRs (or vice-versa) for these earnings.
It's all about your own math. I value MRs at 1.25 as that's the Schwab cashout potential personally. You'll need to assign a value to them for your own situation and if they don't reach 1 cpp keep earning cash.

Here's your friendly reminder that Southwest Airlines next schedule release is expected to occur THURSDAY, March 12th!. For those planning to snag flights, set those calendar reminders so you don't forget!

I'm sharing this now because it previously was listed as February 13th but has been pushed back a month. Stay posted as this date is subject to change!
  • Currently SW is offering flights through 8/10/20 and this next release will take their schedule out to 10/31/20. I'll try to post additional reminders as the date draws nearer.
For those that care about "release timing" it's been all over the board recently (all times Eastern):
  • The release on 12/11/19 went live at 9:10am.
  • The release on 10/30/19 went live at 7:15am.
  • The release on 9/26/19 went live at 7:30am.
  • The release on 8/15/19 went live at 10:41am.
  • The release on 5/30/19 went live at 9:20am.

It's all about your own math. I value MRs at 1.25 as that's the Schwab cashout potential personally. You'll need to assign a value to them for your own situation and if they don't reach 1 cpp keep earning cash.
I don’t cash out via Schwab. I usually transfer to delta. And that is not often. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter