I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to transfer some Marriott points from P2’s account to mine so that I can use them for 2 rooms I booked for our first night in Paris next June. His Marriott account is over a year old and mine is now well over 60 days old (what I had to wait on to make the transfer). Does he have to call to make the transfer or can it be done online?
Have to call. :(
Online transfer just too easy, hardly any opportunity to Bonvoy!! you that way :p

Can't be done online.

Bonvoy!

P2 needs to call (801) 468-4000 and have his and your Marriott account numbers ready. They'll probably ask him some questions to confirm his ID, ask how many points he wants to transfer (max 100k per calendar year), and to what account (yours). Done. There's no fee to do this.

ugh... that's a tough choice. We kept all of DH's 4 cards this year, but we were able to make good use of the 5 certificates we received. He got an extra one when he upgraded his Marriott card.

I'm not sure if we'll keep the SPG Biz, not for the $125. We don't even get good offers on that card.
I was just looking, I try to rotate the offers around unless it is one that has a benefit for being on that card, ie if it's a dining card and I can put it on a card that earns extra dining points. Looks like I saved $546 overall with offers in the last year including my Gold, which I only got in September. The other two cards would be the SPG biz and the Brilliant. Part of me thinks why not, I can find a use for the cert so I may as well keep it and keep spreading the spend around to hopefully keep AMEX happy with me, and I am ahead overall since $500 of offers savings was between the SPG cards. Actually, I had another $80 I saved on my Hilton Biz which I closed in September, which possibly could have been on these instead... I kind of want to keep a biz card for the chance at the biz only offers too...

The worst part of the hobby lol.

I'm booking some cruise excursions for our Alaskan cruise in July, and using the cost to meet MSR on a couple different cards. If any excursions get cancelled and refunded in July, will I need to revisit the cards I charged the excursions to to add more spend? If so, how quickly will we need to respend those refunded amounts to keep the SUB we'll earn for hitting MSR?

Due to snow, DD5 had a delayed start at school today. DD3 is also home from daycare with a fever. Disney+ FTW! Currently watching Flight of the Navigator while DD3 naps on me. 😀 I'm sorry she's sick, of course, but at least she picked a good day.
Sorry your DD is sick! DD5 woke up sick in the middle of the night, Disney+ on the iPad sure makes keeping her quarantined easier!

Due to snow, DD5 had a delayed start at school today. DD3 is also home from daycare with a fever. Disney+ FTW! Currently watching Flight of the Navigator while DD3 naps on me. 😀 I'm sorry she's sick, of course, but at least she picked a good day.

I loved that movie as a kid. I'm adding to DD's playlist! She's out playing in the snow, snow day here.

I'm trying to calculate the HH points I'll get when dhs employees stay in December. I sent off my Aspire cc number and HH number to the hotel yesterday (so I know the exact cost of the room nights, unless there are last minute additions). Can anyone help me @calypso726 ?

Say the stay is going to be a total cost of $7,400.00 and I gave my Aspire card (so diamond status). Also I signed up for a HH promo where I will get double points for the stay. How many points will this weekend net me? I also get a bonus of the number of dollars spent as the "conference planner".

According to FM, it calculates out to 54 points on the dollar on the Aspire. Looks like you'll come out with about 400k HH points! On someone else's dime. I love it!

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea....oints-3x-points-when-paying-with-hilton-amex/

I'm booking some cruise excursions for our Alaskan cruise in July, and using the cost to meet MSR on a couple different cards. If any excursions get cancelled and refunded in July, will I need to revisit the cards I charged the excursions to to add more spend? If so, how quickly will we need to respend those refunded amounts to keep the SUB we'll earn for hitting MSR?

Depends on which issuer. Any on Amex? They're sensitive to this, especially if it happens to be the transaction that put you over the MSR.

Depends on which issuer. Any on Amex? They're sensitive to this, especially if it happens to be the transaction that put you over the MSR.
I put the first one on my SW card, I was going to put the other on my Hilton Aspire. Is Chase a better card for charges that are possible to refunded. The Aspire charge would probably be the more likely excursion to get cancelled due to weather since it's a float plane trip.

I put the first one on my SW card, I was going to put the other on my Hilton Aspire. Is Chase a better card for charges that are possible to refunded. The Aspire charge would probably be the more likely excursion to get cancelled due to weather since it's a float plane trip.

Yes, Chase would be the better choice. They're not known to claw back.

For those wanting Disney+ for free for being Verizon Unlimited or Fios subscribers, go to Verizon's website, log in to your account and select get Disney+. Accept terms and conditions. You'll be billed $6.99 a month starting in 1 year. You can cancel through your Verizon account.

Folks with Amazon Firesticks will need to go to Amazon and "buy" the free app. It will then appear on your stick.
Oh thanks, I thought it was just for Verizon Wireless. I have Fios! I wasn't going to pay for Disney +. I feel like that would be a waste of all the moeny I spent collecting Blue Rays and DVD's, haha. If it is free though, I'll take it!

The chatter seems to be that the Green card may be easier to get approved for than many of Amex's other cards. Amex generally is pretty approval friendly, but as you know that comes with the expectation the cardmember will spend on their cards or eventually get hit with a pop up. Folks who had been getting the pop up on other cards were able to get approved for the Green card with no pop up. I'll also add that Amex seems to be targeting the refreshed Green card towards a younger market. Lili Reinhart, who plays Betty on The CW's Riverdale, is the face of the new Amex Green campaign.

Consider whether you want to pull the 45k MR offer in incognito, or do a supportal from a Plat for 35k MR to DD and 15k MR to you or DH. (I don't think you have a BGR or Biz Gold, which has supportals worth 25k right now.) The 45k incognito offer comes with a $100 Away luggage credit, whereas the 35k supportal offer comes with a slightly higher $150 Away luggage credit. Both incognito and supportal offers have a $2k MSR, and every other benefit is the same. The supportal approach will split the MRs from this approval between 2 accounts, and DD will get a lesser 35k SUB but she'll get $50 more to use at Away, and the other 15k+ will be going to one of you guys. If you go the support way, I'd probably support from whomever hasn't received too many support bonuses this year to stay under the $600 1099 reporting threshold (Amex may still send a 1099 for <$600 in supportals).

Thank you so much for writing this all out for me. It was an idea DH had to get DD some MRs, but then we realized that practically nobody (other than hotels) in Norway was taking our AMEX cards. Nonetheless I am going to send her the info since it might be a good offer for her to pursue. The ongoing spend only worries me because she can't use it much over there, plus she just doesn't spend much in the first place, but she's not thinking about churning cards. She wants to just use the right cards to get a few points, so this might be a good place to start. She's seen where the MRs have taken us (and benefitted from all those flights herself). If she does do this I think I'd tell her to go for the larger SUB. It's ok if we don't get any points. I like that there are pretty good category bonuses on this card which could help her get more points for her spend.

My current churner problem: which card to use if you think you are going to have to dispute a charge.

The past few days have been a battle with Eddie Bauer over a coat I ordered for my son. First order: wrong item sent. I called and was told that I had to return the item for a refund and reorder if I wanted the coat. So I made the mistake of placing the order on the phone because the rep said they would expedite shipping, but only if they placed the order. That order: has said "available--processing" for days. I both called and chatted with so-called "customer service" yesterday and essentially got no info about when if ever that order would ship. So I placed another order (partly because the price with the Vet's Day sale was about $50 less than I paid for the first two orders and partly to see if a new order might actually ship).

So now I have paid for three coats and received zero. So disappointed as EB used to be one of my favorite stores. Also, in anticipation of having to dispute some or all of these charges, I put the last two orders on a Citi card since I am least worried about eyes on that account.

Thank you so much for writing this all out for me. It was an idea DH had to get DD some MRs, but then we realized that practically nobody (other than hotels) in Norway was taking our AMEX cards. Nonetheless I am going to send her the info since it might be a good offer for her to pursue. The ongoing spend only worries me because she can't use it much over there, plus she just doesn't spend much in the first place, but she's not thinking about churning cards. She wants to just use the right cards to get a few points, so this might be a good place to start. She's seen where the MRs have taken us (and benefitted from all those flights herself). If she does do this I think I'd tell her to go for the larger SUB. It's ok if we don't get any points. I like that there are pretty good category bonuses on this card which could help her get more points for her spend.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning her dilemma finding places that accept Amex while abroad. The 3x restaurant category is worldwide, but again only useful if the place takes credit cards and Amex. The 3x travel category is probably better for DD than the Gold’s 4x supermarkets (which is not worldwide). The Green’s 3x travel category overlaps with the CIP’s 3x travel category, but I guess that’ll give DD a choice between earning URs or MRs, and the CIP can remain an option if someplace doesn’t accept Amex.

Could she apply for it and you keep it "active" for her while she's out of the country? If she received it around Christmas break, she could put some/all of the MSR on it while she's home then you could babysit it and of course with her authorization use it monthly with AOs and/or a small charge? The 45K offer is really good for a $150 card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!