I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@brownhaired_girl - did you get and use the Travelon bag yet? (Forgive me if I'm mistaken on who I got the link to this bag from.)

Well, long story short, after watching it on Ebags I eventually ordered it from Amazon and absolutely love it! It worked in every way for my needs as I'm not too hard on any bag as I tend to switch out a lot.

But, the bad news is I have to return it. Took it to New York where it held all my stuff easily, and passed it to my daughter who actually carried it, not rolled it, to our room, while I parked.

So, I packed it back up and started to roll it out of the room at checkout, and one wheel wouldn't roll. Can't fix it, and don't know what's wrong so it has to go back. This makes me unhappy as I really liked it as far as organization goes.

Meanwhile, I ordered a different bag with similar capabilities but it's a Samsonite spinner. Ebags was still trying to sell me on something and sent me an email for it at 1/2 price so I bit as I want this size bag to go along with my larger bag for my Florida trip as I'll be doing a couple or more of one nighters and I won't have to 'bag it' with my things. I'll have an easy to roll overnight case. I looked at a Hartmann case but couldn't justify $275 when I know I'll tire of it and be looking at the next latest and greatest in a year or two.
I did get the traveling bag for DGD. We had no issues with it. We are at Disney now and would have used it but I was worried It wouldn’t work for Frontier personal item.

Anyone else order a Love Your Melon Mickey hat this morning?
I don’t know what that is

Can anyone offer advice or point me to a good resource to learn about booking flights to the UK using AA miles? A friend of mine just lost his wife after a prolonged illness. She is from the UK and they have many friends and family there. My friend would like to take their two middle-school-aged kids to the UK over winter break (~12/21 - 1/4) for a second memorial, and I've decided to use my AA miles for his trip. Of course, this is a short lead time and an expensive time to travel, and I have not done any research regarding the pros and pitfalls of using AA miles to travel to the UK. They would be flying from Des Moines (DSM) to Manchester (MAN) or possibly to LHR and catching a train. I've got 190K AA miles in my account, and my wife has 90K miles. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I can’t help but that’s such a great thing to do. :love:
@trstno1 - ok i really want you to make this work so here is what i have come up with.....you have to book this as one way flights

Dec 21 - DSM to MAN via PHL 65k each +$5.60

Jan 6 MAN to ORD via LHR 30k each +$168.85 (Note: You have to overnight at Heathrow so will need a hotel there). Arrives in Chicago on Jan 7. You have to scroll down about 6 pages to find this flight.

Total 285k miles + $523.35

I know it is not a perfect scenario - but hope it helps you get this done for them. Best of luck.

Edit: There is also a MAN to ORD option on Jan 7 without the need to overnight at Heathrow but arrives into Chicago at almost midnight.
This is what’s so awesome about our group, people helping out just out of kindness.
This strategy backfired on some people I know. Their son ran up 10k in credit card debt, but they were trusting and not looking. He intercepted paper bills and hid them and all sorts of nefarious schemes and I've probably only been told half the story. These days we can track most of it on the internet in real time, so it's easier to manage.
My friend’s now ex wife did the same. She hid 30k in cc bills from him for years apparently. Paid the min each month.
That's what I did. Just paid my bill with the card with the offer on it. I did add the card to the account also. And another twist. Although I pay the bill, it's under daughter's name. Hope they don't snatch it back. My name is only listed as belonging with the phone, not as an account holder.

First I checked the Xfinity website to see if there was anything on there referencing the deal. Nothing. There's just a redirect from the credit card website to the Xfinity site, I guess so you can sign up.
Do you actually have Xfinity Mobile or another xfinity product?

We toured several colleges in NY this summer. He’s visiting schools in CT, Ohio and Nashville, Tennessee with his Dad. Then, I have a trip planned with him over Veteran’s Day to Middletown & Mystic, CT; Providence, RI (hoping to visit Newport and the Bellevue Mansions); Williamstown & Boston, MA; Lewistown, Maine and NH. Then, in early December, we are staying at the Inn at Penn for a few visits in Philadelphia. I admit it’s a little over the top, but he’s worked hard and I’m beyond excited for him. DH thinks I’m crazy for so many visits, but I love to travel and know that I will never have this time with him again. I have points I could use for our trip, but I’m saving them for a spring break vacation for the family.

A travel hacking DP and success story:

I am vying for Auntie of the year award from my niece. I’m her only aunt so I should have this in the bag. But one must make an effort for appearances sake.

My oldest niece told me she really wanted to see Beetlejuice and asked if I would find out when it was coming to Miami so she could start begging her mom to take her. She is obsessed with the musical and is dying to see it. I had the unfortunate task of informing her that it was only playing in New York. Unbeknownst to her I asked her mom and my brother if it was ok to take her to New York for a weekend to the the show as her Christmas present if I could swing it. They agreed it would be fine.

I saw that AA had saver award flights in first at 25k mikes one way to NYC which meant that I should be able to book them with BA Avios for less points since they are distance based so 16.5k miles one way. When I checked the BA site it said there was no availability in any class. That made no sense. I called BA and explained that I wasn’t seeing availability that should be there. The agent insisted that they could only book what was on the website and the availability would not be any different. So, if I didn’t see it there she couldn’t book it. I care more about getting what I want than about being right, so I changed tactics. I told her it was quite possible I was doing something wrong then and asked if she could check on a specific flight for me. She reluctantly agreed. I swear this woman was a right contentious (insert whatever expletive amuses you). Naturally of course, she was able to book the flights that were not on the website with Avios. So, it pays to call the airline when things don’t make sense online.

My next step in my Aunt of the year campaign was to find a hotel because sleeping on the street would not make a good impression. BonBlah to the rescue! I used two of my 35k FN certs at Townplace Suites in Times Square. They offer free breakfast too.

Last, I got us front row center seats! My DN has only been on a plane once. This will be her first flight up front in the boujee seats, her first visit to a lounge (Centurion) and she has never been to New York. I plan to make it as memorable as I can for her. I think lunch at Ellen’s Stardust diner is in order. No idea where to take her for dinner, suggestions are welcome.

I am planning to theme this Christmas gift to the nines and wrap it in back and white striped paper with green and purple bows. I’ll be checking Pinterest for creative ways to gift wrap a flight, hotel and Broadway show tickets.

Do you think your B/SIL would want to adopt me? That trip is a fabulous gift.

We toured several colleges in NY this summer. He’s visiting schools in CT, Ohio and Nashville, Tennessee with his Dad. Then, I have a trip planned with him over Veteran’s Day to Middletown & Mystic, CT; Providence, RI (hoping to visit Newport and the Bellevue Mansions); Williamstown & Boston, MA; Lewistown, Maine and NH. Then, in early December, we are staying at the Inn at Penn for a few visits in Philadelphia. I admit it’s a little over the top, but he’s worked hard and I’m beyond excited for him. DH thinks I’m crazy for so many visits, but I love to travel and know that I will never have this time with him again. I have points I could use for our trip, but I’m saving them for a spring break vacation for the family.

Wow! I think it's great that you can take all of these trips. There's so much to see and do in all of those locations along with the college visits, of course. We loved our sightseeing days in Philadelphia, too.

Um isn't boujee/bougie/whatever derived from bourgeoisie? So it technically should have a "g" in it?

(I had a glass of wine with dinner, thus the deep thinking :laughing:)
I was coming here to point out the same thing!
And to further detract from spelling choices, I leave you all with this.

Attachments

• E36FFA71-8CA8-4F6A-861D-36B8C89AEADE.jpeg
    E36FFA71-8CA8-4F6A-861D-36B8C89AEADE.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 4

That's what I did. Just paid my bill with the card with the offer on it. I did add the card to the account also. And another twist. Although I pay the bill, it's under daughter's name. Hope they don't snatch it back. My name is only listed as belonging with the phone, not as an account holder.

First I checked the Xfinity website to see if there was anything on there referencing the deal. Nothing. There's just a redirect from the credit card website to the Xfinity site, I guess so you can sign up.
I went ahead and paid my bill tonight. I have it autopay with my CIP but I’ll take $50! Fingers crossed it works!

Anyone flown economy international and not hated every minute? Any airlines that are better than others? I put in all this work to find us business class flights to Scotland and got it down to 280K UR + $600 and DH is all meh because he says he’d rather save the UR and fly coach 🙄. You know, the UR that I’ve helped us earn while he plays the stock market. *sigh*
I've flown coach from JFK or BOS to the UK for business often and it is totally fine, only 5 hours. I used to fly coach 11 hours to the Middle East as well, other than being difficult to sleep, also fine. Would Business or First be more fun, sure. But I enjoy reading and just settle in. People do it every day.

Welcome back! Yes the CIP links are alive and kicking. I remember those college trips. It meant we couldn't do as many fun family trips, but that was before I joined this group. Did you at least get to travel to some place fun while looking at colleges? Our highlights on those trips were walking the Freedom Trail in Boston, spending a day in Manhattan, and squeezing in a short visit to DL. Good luck with the college search. Several of us have been there and know it's tough, but also really exciting!

Thank you! I’m definitely excited, but also nervous at the same time. A little worried I am trying to do too much in just 5 days!

Wow! I think it's great that you can take all of these trips. There's so much to see and do in all of those locations along with the college visits, of course. We loved our sightseeing days in Philadelphia, too.

I’ll admit I’m petrified of driving in Philadelphia. The last time we visited Philly, DH drove everywhere. We plan to walk and take the train to most of the schools he’s visiting, so that should help! All the reviews of the hotel say it’s in a prime location, so I’m hoping it goes well.

Thank you! I’m definitely excited, but also nervous at the same time. A little worried I am trying to do too much in just 5 days!

I’ll admit I’m petrified of driving in Philadelphia. The last time we visited Philly, DH drove everywhere. We plan to walk and take the train to most of the schools he’s visiting, so that should help! All the reviews of the hotel say it’s in a prime location, so I’m hoping it goes well.

We didn't drive at all. Used Amtrak from one city to the next and then public transportation and it worked great. I wouldn't want to drive there, either.

I know some here, or their spouses, have corporate AmEx cards, usually the Green one. AmEx has announced some new benefits on these. As you'd expect, not much going on for the Green but it'll get you Hilton Silver status (somehow) starting in Nov. While Silver doesn't do much for you it does give you the 5th night free benefit for points bookings. Could be useful when you don't have a card for a higher level.

I imagine Hilton's hoping the extra 20% base earn shifts more corporate bookings their way when folks have a choice :)
https://travelingformiles.com/american-express-is-adding-benefits-to-its-corporate-cards/

Um isn't boujee/bougie/whatever derived from bourgeoisie? So it technically should have a "g" in it?

(I had a glass of wine with dinner, thus the deep thinking :laughing:)

And in my ignorance I had to look up the Word.

According to Urban Dictionary, "boujee" means, "High class, flossin', ballin'. One who possesses swag. Elite, rich." But it's actually a stylized version of the already-stylized word "bougie," which is an abbreviation of the word "bourgeois."Aug 18, 2

I'm not a big fan of either one....but I'll take black licorice over candy corn anyday.
This is like picking between Voldemort vs. Sauron... there isn't a good choice!!

Pick your poison!!!

Personally I think Voldemort is the 446698 because his head looks like a piece of candy corn

And thus Sauron represents the 446700

And in my ignorance I had to look up the Word.

According to Urban Dictionary, "boujee" means, "High class, flossin', ballin'. One who possesses swag. Elite, rich." But it's actually a stylized version of the already-stylized word "bougie," which is an abbreviation of the word "bourgeois."Aug 18, 2

Wish I'd had this a few years ago when a coworker called me boujee for bringing my lunch and not buying lunch like they did. Not sure she got the meaning because it wasn't said in a oh you bring your lunch cauae you want to save money to do stuff but in the oh you're too good to buy lunch.

Well duh I hang out on the budget board and would rather spend on other stuff.

Both links dead :(
After hitting apply there's no application page, just Offer Unavailable.
WOW...that is a bummer!! The application was still loading last night when I posted that. Thanks for mentioning this...

UPDATED COMPANION PASS STRATEGY:
With this news, the ONLY viable path now to 125k SW RR points is 2 business cards. This had always been the advised strategy but now it becomes that much more important.

EDIT: I have made some updates to reflect all of this new information on the Fireside Chat with SouthFayetteFan on the Southwest Companion Pass - you can read that post HERE

Last edited:
Applying for the Southwest Premier Business Card via a DISchurners Support Link:
Earlier this year Southwest added the capability to generate ONE support link that allowed the applicant to select any of their "core 4" cards (the 3 personals and the SW Premier Business). At this time the SW Performance Biz has NOT been added to this system yet.

Since MANY folks here may be pursuing the 60k/$3k MSR offer to cap off their CP, I wanted to quickly do a guide on HOW to apply for this card using a support link. IF you apply for this card and are NOT able to use a spouse or friend's link, PLEASE PLEASE consider using a reddit support link. It costs you NOTHING.

1)
First Select a link from THIS PAGE

2) Once on the landing page you will likely default to the SW Personal PLUS card (no matter what link you select). Navigate to the SW Premier Business card by clicking the header for that card (circled in red below):

3) Your screen should change to reflect the 60,000 bonus point offer for a $3k MSR. Verify that it does and click Apply Now under the card and proceed with your application. (Picture below)

Again - please consider using a support link for this offer but make sure you are careful and apply for the intended card! I will share this again in a month or so when people begin to draw closer to applying for this card. With the decrease to the SW Performance offer, you may also decide to pull the trigger on this card first at this time too if you didn't get your 1st SW card yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!