I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be there also actually arriving Nov 3rd and right now I'm booked through Nov 15th, with Nov 9th in Clearwater. Most of my days are at BWV, but I've got the last 2 nights at Poly and GFV, but may change that if the option arises. I need to stalk the DVC website.
I’ll be at BWV the whole time 11/12- 11/21. Maybe we can meet up!

Finally ready to book our vacation for February and my DH's virtual credit card for his Amex Blue card was declined. GRR. Embarrassing to say the least. The rooms are on hold until tomorrow. Hopefully,a phone call to Amex will straighten it out. We wanted to use that card for SUB. Has anybody had that issue? I never got offered the credit card number when I was approved for my cards.

Does anyone else have a hard time using up PTO at the same rate as their significant other? For example, DH and I are traveling Saturday - Sunday in January and also Friday-Monday of Labor Day weekend this year. Because of the way our work schedules fall, he will have 2 of his 10 vacation days left, while I will have 8 days left (which for me translates into two full weeks off!). If we take a Thurs- Sun trip that only uses up 1 of my days and 2 of his. What do other people do in this situation? Take vacations without your spouse, like a trendy celebrity does? Do staycations? Hoard vacation days?

I get way more time than my husband (we've both been at our jobs 16+ years, but my benefits are just better)... I earn more vacation and I can also comp up to 80 hours. He is salaried though so he has a little more flexibility in that regard. Plus I work odd hours (graveyard shift Sunday - Wednesday) so we aren't necessarily taking the same number of days off anyway.

Oh, and each year I take a vacation to DL with the "DIS Divas" which is an adult-women only trip... no men or kids allowed... so I actually use more than he does, too! :)

A travel hacking DP and success story:

I am vying for Auntie of the year award from my niece. I’m her only aunt so I should have this in the bag. But one must make an effort for appearances sake.

My oldest niece told me she really wanted to see Beetlejuice and asked if I would find out when it was coming to Miami so she could start begging her mom to take her. She is obsessed with the musical and is dying to see it. I had the unfortunate task of informing her that it was only playing in New York. Unbeknownst to her I asked her mom and my brother if it was ok to take her to New York for a weekend to the the show as her Christmas present if I could swing it. They agreed it would be fine.

I saw that AA had saver award flights in first at 25k mikes one way to NYC which meant that I should be able to book them with BA Avios for less points since they are distance based so 16.5k miles one way. When I checked the BA site it said there was no availability in any class. That made no sense. I called BA and explained that I wasn’t seeing availability that should be there. The agent insisted that they could only book what was on the website and the availability would not be any different. So, if I didn’t see it there she couldn’t book it. I care more about getting what I want than about being right, so I changed tactics. I told her it was quite possible I was doing something wrong then and asked if she could check on a specific flight for me. She reluctantly agreed. I swear this woman was a right contentious (insert whatever expletive amuses you). Naturally of course, she was able to book the flights that were not on the website with Avios. So, it pays to call the airline when things don’t make sense online.

My next step in my Aunt of the year campaign was to find a hotel because sleeping on the street would not make a good impression. BonBlah to the rescue! I used two of my 35k FN certs at Townplace Suites in Times Square. They offer free breakfast too.

Last, I got us front row center seats! My DN has only been on a plane once. This will be her first flight up front in the boujee seats, her first visit to a lounge (Centurion) and she has never been to New York. I plan to make it as memorable as I can for her. I think lunch at Ellen’s Stardust diner is in order. No idea where to take her for dinner, suggestions are welcome.

I am planning to theme this Christmas gift to the nines and wrap it in back and white striped paper with green and purple bows. I’ll be checking Pinterest for creative ways to gift wrap a flight, hotel and Broadway show tickets.

Finally ready to book our vacation for February and my DH's virtual credit card for his Amex Blue card was declined. GRR. Embarrassing to say the least. The rooms are on hold until tomorrow. Hopefully,a phone call to Amex will straighten it out. We wanted to use that card for SUB. Has anybody had that issue? I never got offered the credit card number when I was approved for my cards.

Was it Blue Business of Delta Blue?

I am working on the SUB fort Delta Gold Biz right now. I needed to buy about $400 worth of stuff on Amazon. Used the virtual number provided after approval and my card was declined. Amazon used my backup source.

My theory is that Amex is allowing those virtual cards for spend on their co-brand partners only. Meaning I could have bought a flight on Delta but nothing else.

I am vying for Auntie of the year award from my niece. I’m her only aunt so I should have this in the bag. But one must make an effort for appearances sake.

My oldest niece told me she really wanted to see Beetlejuice and asked if I would find out when it was coming to Miami so she could start begging her mom to take her. She is obsessed with the musical and is dying to see it. I had the unfortunate task of informing her that it was only playing in New York. Unbeknownst to her I asked her mom and my brother if it was ok to take her to New York for a weekend to the the show as her Christmas present if I could swing it. They agreed it would be fine.

I saw that AA had saver award flights in first at 25k mikes one way to NYC which meant that I should be able to book them with BA Avios for less points since they are distance based so 16.5k miles one way. When I checked the BA site it said there was no availability in any class. That made no sense. I called BA and explained that I wasn’t seeing availability that should be there. The agent insisted that they could only book what was on the website and the availability would not be any different. So, if I didn’t see it there she couldn’t book it. I care more about getting what I want than about being right, so I changed tactics. I told her it was quite possible I was doing something wrong then and asked if she could check on a specific flight for me. She reluctantly agreed. I swear this woman was a right contentious (insert whatever expletive amuses you). Naturally of course, she was able to book the flights that were not on the website with Avios. So, it pays to call the airline when things don’t make sense online.

My next step in my Aunt of the year campaign was to find a hotel because sleeping on the street would not make a good impression. BonBlah to the rescue! I used two of my 35k FN certs at Townplace Suites in Times Square. They offer free breakfast too.

Last, I got us front row center seats! My DN has only been on a plane once. This will be her first flight up front in the boujee seats, her first visit to a lounge (Centurion) and she has never been to New York. I plan to make it as memorable as I can for her. I think lunch at Ellen’s Stardust diner is in order. No idea where to take her for dinner, suggestions are welcome.

I am planning to theme this Christmas gift to the nines and wrap it in back and white striped paper with green and purple bows. I’ll be checking Pinterest for creative ways to gift wrap a flight, hotel and Broadway show tickets.

What an amazing present for your DN! Hands down best aunt award.

But, I think you misspelled “bougie.” Post Malone would back me up on this one. Isn’t that right, @speedyfishy?

Does anyone else have a hard time using up PTO at the same rate as their significant other? For example, DH and I are traveling Saturday - Sunday in January and also Friday-Monday of Labor Day weekend this year. Because of the way our work schedules fall, he will have 2 of his 10 vacation days left, while I will have 8 days left (which for me translates into two full weeks off!). If we take a Thurs- Sun trip that only uses up 1 of my days and 2 of his. What do other people do in this situation? Take vacations without your spouse, like a trendy celebrity does? Do staycations? Hoard vacation days?
I earn a lot more pto than DH, so sometimes I will take an extra day before or after a trip, to pack/clean/do laundry/grocery shop around a trip. Sometimes I may take a day or two and go back to visit friends and family by myself... otherwise I hoard because Colorado is a state where they have to pay it out when you leave. I just make sure not to hit our max so I stop accruing.

I’m trying to plan our last trip for May 2020 before the SW calendar opens next week and need destination suggestions! We are thinking we will leave HOU either very late on a Wednesday or very early on a Thursday, spend Thurs-Sat sightseeing, then fly back on Sunday. I’d love to travel over Memorial Day weekend but don’t think DH will be able to get that weekend off.

Anyone have suggestions for somewhere we could go that isn’t too long a flight (3-5 hours max) from Houston and where we could see the highlights in 3 days? We are looking to NOT do a theme park for this trip :) we have already been to LA, New Orleans, and New Mexico on recent trips, and are planning to do Denver in 2021. Suggestions welcome!
Fly to Las Vegas and drive to the southern Utah national parks!

I seriously got all teary-eyed reading that :lovestruc

I am working on the SUB fort Delta Gold Biz right now. I needed to buy about $400 worth of stuff on Amazon. Used the virtual number provided after approval and my card was declined. Amazon used my backup source.

My theory is that Amex is allowing those virtual cards for spend on their co-brand partners only. Meaning I could have bought a flight on Delta but nothing else.
Yep, several of us have had that issue.

Amex every. Day. The picture looks like my blue business. It’s the personnel version. I chatted with Amex pretending to be my husband. Is that legal after 25 years? Don’t care. Anyway they said there was no declined charges.. it was merchant error. I confirmed by making a 20 dollar payment on a Disney cruise I have booked it worked fine. Mystery solved I hope. I left message with travel travel agent. The limit is 15k. It says we have 10k until card gets here.
I also set up his account to do the chat. Don’t judge me.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I’m trying to plan our last trip for May 2020 before the SW calendar opens next week and need destination suggestions! We are thinking we will leave HOU either very late on a Wednesday or very early on a Thursday, spend Thurs-Sat sightseeing, then fly back on Sunday. I’d love to travel over Memorial Day weekend but don’t think DH will be able to get that weekend off.

Anyone have suggestions for somewhere we could go that isn’t too long a flight (3-5 hours max) from Houston and where we could see the highlights in 3 days? We are looking to NOT do a theme park for this trip :) we have already been to LA, New Orleans, and New Mexico on recent trips, and are planning to do Denver in 2021. Suggestions welcome!
Savannah! So much history, perfectly walkable, the food! Oh, the food. If there are kids, there is Fort Pulaski and Tybee Island. We went with our kids and we all loved it but want to go back with just my husband.

But, I think you misspelled “bougie.” Post Malone would back me up on this one. Isn’t that right, @speedyfishy?

Apparently one can switch spellings. Bougie if you're in a Post Malone sort of mood or Boujee if you're in a Migos sort of mood. I guess it's like color and colour. Both are acceptable depending on the flavor/flavour that you want at the moment. I think @speedyfishy might back me up on that ;-)

Last edited:
I have been off disboards and this thread for the past few months as I have been straight out since our triplets started Middle School and taking my older DS, who is a Senior, to look at colleges. I am so grateful to this group because I have learned so much and have managed to pay for several trips with the points we’ve earned. I am ready to get back in the game and was just wondering if anyone knows if the CIP bonus is still available? I was also looking for suggestions for either another Chase Business card or if we should get a Hilton product? I keep getting offers for the Aspire, but I’m not super familiar with AMEX and so am reluctant. I’m on the fence if my best bet is Hilton points. We typically stay at Hilton or Marriott, but most recently more Hilton. The points just don’t seem to go very far, but I’ve heard others say they use their Hilton card more for the perks. Can anyone offer any suggestions for a hotel card if the CIP offer is no longer available?

Last edited:

nope it’s boujee. #teammigos. Can we really trust a white rapper on this?

Apparently one can switch spellings. Bougie if you're in a Post Malone sort of mood our Boujee if you're in a Migos sort of mood. I guess it's like color and colour. Both are acceptable depending on the flavor/flavour that you want at the moment. I think @speedyfishy might back me up on that ;-)

you are 100% right, it’s boujee.

I have been off disboards and this thread for the past few months as I have been straight out since our triplets started Middle School and taking my older DS, who is a Senior, to look at colleges. I am so grateful to this group because I have learned so much and have managed to pay for several trips with the points we’ve earned. I am ready to get back in the game and was just wondering if anyone knows if the CIP referral for 20k is still available? I was also looking for suggestions for either another Chase Business card time get or possible a Hilton product? I keep getting offers for the Aspire, but I’m not super familiar with AMEX and so am reluctant. I’m on the fence if my best bet is Hilton points. We typically stay at Hilton or Marriott, but most recently more Hilton. The points just don’t seem to go very far, but I’ve heard others say they use their Hilton card more for the perks. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to either a good Chase reward card (already have the CSP and Chase Reserve), but DH and I are only at 1/24 each for Chase personal cards? Thank you!
You’ll do better with CIP. The 80k bonus offer is still alive. If you use a support link to sign up the person gets 20k points.

Aspire has nice perks if you stay Hilton’s but Amex has made the airline credit a complete pain in the rear to use since nerfing gift card reimbursements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!