I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barclays just called and approved me for the Jetblue Biz! Asked a couple questions about my business, but nothing too in-depth. Just how long I'd had the business, how much I earned, etc. He said his real reason for calling was because I put down my revenue from the biz as $5500 and my income as much higher. I told him I worked a full time job and that this business was my side hustle and he said he understood and figured that was the case but just needed to verify. Card should be here soon!
Sweet. Was this the one you originally tried for right after the AA biz and they didn't want to extend more credit at the time? So you cancelled that one and now all is right with the world? Did you do much spend after that on the AA one? (Or am I totally remembering someone else...)

UGHHHHHH. That's how I feel. I booked my room for this past weekend 4 different times because the price kept going down. Now when I cancelled via my online Marriott account I KNOW I was cancelling the correct reservations because I was checking the prices before cancelling. But the emails going out about the cancellations (which I didn't check) were for the newest ones I had booked. I swear I am not crazy, I would have both reservations up on different monitors checking the price and confirmation numbers before cancelling to make sure it was the right one. After cancelling I was even checking the reservations on my account again to make sure the right one was still there (checking conf number and price). But the emails said differently, and I ended up with one of the higher rates for the weekend. #bonvoyed At least it was only $25, but that's really freakin' annoying.

Sweet. Was this the one you originally tried for right after the AA biz and they didn't want to extend more credit at the time? So you cancelled that one and now all is right with the world? Did you do much spend after that on the AA one? (Or am I totally remembering someone else...)

Good memory! Yes, that is correct. Should've added that to my info, but brain is low on power this morning. I applied for this card about 60 days or so after getting the Barclays Aviator biz. I was instantly denied with no hard pull because I had not spent enough with them on Aviator card. I think I spent a grand total of $20 on that Aviator biz... lol. Don't have the info on me, but I think I canceled that card around end of July/first of August. Applied for this on October 12. Approved with $2500 credit line.

ETA: he did not mention anything about the closed card.

Can anyone offer advice or point me to a good resource to learn about booking flights to the UK using AA miles? A friend of mine just lost his wife after a prolonged illness. She is from the UK and they have many friends and family there. My friend would like to take their two middle-school-aged kids to the UK over winter break (~12/21 - 1/4) for a second memorial, and I've decided to use my AA miles for his trip. Of course, this is a short lead time and an expensive time to travel, and I have not done any research regarding the pros and pitfalls of using AA miles to travel to the UK. They would be flying from Des Moines (DSM) to Manchester (MAN) or possibly to LHR and catching a train. I've got 190K AA miles in my account, and my wife has 90K miles. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

@trstno1 - ok i really want you to make this work so here is what i have come up with.....you have to book this as one way flights

Dec 21 - DSM to MAN via PHL 65k each +$5.60

Jan 6 MAN to ORD via LHR 30k each +$168.85 (Note: You have to overnight at Heathrow so will need a hotel there). Arrives in Chicago on Jan 7. You have to scroll down about 6 pages to find this flight.

Total 285k miles + $523.35

I know it is not a perfect scenario - but hope it helps you get this done for them. Best of luck.

Edit: There is also a MAN to ORD option on Jan 7 without the need to overnight at Heathrow but arrives into Chicago at almost midnight.

Last edited:

@trstno1 - ok i really want you to make this work so here is what i have come up with.....you have to book this as one way flights

Dec 21 - DSM to MAN via PHL 65k each +$5.60

Jan 6 MAN to ORD via LHR 30k each +$168.85 (Note: You have to overnight at Heathrow so will need a hotel there). Arrives in Chicago on Jan 7.

Total 285k miles + $523.35

I know it is not a perfect scenario - but hope it helps you get this done for them. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks, definitely my Rose Gold at the moment. I think I will end up keeping my Plat for another year and then reassess next year. My Biz Gold and Biz Plat are definitely on the chopping block. my Biz Gold is getting a little use at the moment for the gas spend + the Exxon offer + Safeway. I am not sure $175 is worth it just some he can be fancy :)

Well, I was just in her account adding offers. She seems to attract a lot that I don't get. I just added a Maggiano's for $15 off $50....we will do the $40 family meal for 2 (to go) and throw in tax and tip we are over $50 by a few cents. And she will pick it up! She can also do the BP Amoco offer which I found in there. Now I'm thinking of making her an AU on my SPG Biz and wondering if I do it quick will they load the $25 off $100 Staples offer?

First off, I'll say that her having a card when she was younger made it easier for me. She used it for convenience mostly for me. She had her own checking/savings also which made me able to 'pay' any bill she created for herself. As in if at the mall she wanted food and would ordinarily use a debit card - I had her trained to get us those points, lol.

This strategy backfired on some people I know. Their son ran up 10k in credit card debt, but they were trusting and not looking. He intercepted paper bills and hid them and all sorts of nefarious schemes and I've probably only been told half the story. These days we can track most of it on the internet in real time, so it's easier to manage.

Did you get the one with charger that goes under the seat? eBags had that at a reasonable price the other week.

Why, yes I did! Actually it doesn't have an actual charger, just a space for it and a hole for the cord to come through. And now I'm wishing I'd ordered the 'lineate spinner' from Samsonite for more money but we'll see when it comes. It was only $68.xx with free shipping. I would have been over $100 for the lineate one. I'm still messing with the Travelon trying to see if it roll again, but if it messed up once it will do it again at the least opportune time.

First off, I'll say that her having a card when she was younger made it easier for me. She used it for convenience mostly for me. She had her own checking/savings also which made me able to 'pay' any bill she created for herself. As in if at the mall she wanted food and would ordinarily use a debit card - I had her trained to get us those points, lol.

When did she get her first card? My oldest is a sophomore in high school, does some part time work to earn spending money (which goes into her bank account), and just passed the driver's test to get her license, which will open up more babysitting, etc. opportunities. I'd like her to start gaining some credit card acumen, but I've been hesitant about what could go wrong.

I always wore them in a carrier until they were about 18 mths. They’d zonk out immediately in those things. Around 18m I would ask at the desk if there were extra seats at all and 90% if the time the answer was yes, so I’d get to use the car seat without buying the ticket.
they don't allow you to wear a carrier at takeoff..... IDK if it's a recent rule or what.... just an fyi. You have get creative if you want to keep them somewhat in a sling or whatever at that point.

When did she get her first card? My oldest is a sophomore in high school, does some part time work to earn spending money (which goes into her bank account), and just passed the driver's test to get her license, which will open up more babysitting, etc. opportunities. I'd like her to start gaining some credit card acumen, but I've been hesitant about what could go wrong.

I got my daughter AU on my IHG (chase) and any Amex that I could. I think she has 3 or 4 cards now.

She had it shortly after age 13. She didn't get to hold onto it at first. Then gradually I would not ask for it back and she would keep it in her pocket with her ID. I did wash it a few times and we wore out a couple cards and her one pair of jeans had a 'card print' on the front of the pocket.

Beyond that... I don't pay for flights. #SheCheap
Like everyone, I prefer first/business but I don't really care too much and will fly coach long haul. I'm just happy to go on a trip (for free). Everyone on the plane arrives at the same time anyway.
ETA: I don't pay for hotel rooms anymore either. I use whatever points I have on hand, usually Hilton. I don't always get the hotel/exact location I want, but I prioritize free...
This...exactly. I love the hashtag the reason I'm doing any of this is to use the points. and stretch them as far as possible.....

IDK, I had $6k stolen from my discover acct. So I'm leary of the money I have in there. They closed that account and gave me a completely new one when they gave me the money back.

I had a friend get 50k stolen from hers. I know it can happen at literally any bank, but that one did make me keep an eye on my Discover account a little closer haha. I've been fortunate to have credit cards compromised but never a bank account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!