I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I should’ve asked, how often do we pay for flights?

According to my fly Delta app- I’m about 50/50 for next year-positioning flights are cash; long haul TATL/NZ to LAX are on points/miles. DD to/from college are 2:1 $:miles. Remember the companion fee with DL plat and reserve are cash for the cardholder and fees only for the companion so that can also affect the balance, at least for my household.

I guess I should’ve asked, how often do we pay for flights?

I will pay cash for Frontier flights if they are cheap enough to WDW or Las Vegas. Beyond that... I don't pay for flights. #SheCheap

Like everyone, I prefer first/business but I don't really care too much and will fly coach long haul. I'm just happy to go on a trip (for free). Everyone on the plane arrives at the same time anyway.

ETA: I don't pay for hotel rooms anymore either. I use whatever points I have on hand, usually Hilton. I don't always get the hotel/exact location I want, but I prioritize free...

Looks like Amex is going for a Membership Rewards quadfecta or a pentafecta.

Platinum - 5x airfare and Amex Travel
Gold - 4x restaurants and supermarkets
Green - 3x (general) travel and transit
[Biz Gold - 4x gas; BGR - 3x gas; EDP - 2x gas]
BBP - 2x everything

And maybe - [Biz Platinum - 35% rebate on specific points redemptions for flights]

So the next time an Amex rep comments about how many of their cards you have...
That's pretty much what I was thinking. And it's not a bad strategy considering they already pooled your MR points, which is a leg up from Chase. They just had to take it where there was actually multipliers on their cards to give users a reason to want to pay multiple AF's and use multiple cards. I recall getting way more offers to upgrade to a Plat when I had my Gold than applying for a new card. It was a while ago so I could be misremembering but it seemed like they didn't really embrace the multiple card use. Hoping you'd just ignore that most of your spend was at 1x so they could reap more. As more of the population becomes ok with holding and using more than 2 cards, they can make up for that with volume.

Now if they could just relax the RAT they'd probably get a nice shift from Chase. I can only imagine what will happen when more normals get hit with that nonsense.

Anyone flown economy international and not hated every minute? Any airlines that are better than others? I put in all this work to find us business class flights to Scotland and got it down to 280K UR + $600 and DH is all meh because he says he’d rather save the UR and fly coach 🙄. You know, the UR that I’ve helped us earn while he plays the stock market. *sigh*

We've flown Delta metal coach and had a great experience. Food was good, IFE was good, service was good. Space in seats was better than United and AA. We are four taller than average adults, and all felt we had plenty of space!

How long is the flight? Our trips to London from the East coast were fine. Our longest flight was 8 hours non-stop to Rome and it was bearable. I think that's our limit though, I can't imagine sitting coach longer than that. Even my cheapskate company would pay for biz if it was longer than that.

Don't suppose you could send him coach and take Biz for yourself? You know, to compare and contrast? ;)
It’s 7.5 I believe. And yeah I’m tempted to book just myself in biz :rotfl:

We've flown Delta metal coach and had a great experience. Food was good, IFE was good, service was good. Space in seats was better than United and AA. We are four taller than average adults, and all felt we had plenty of space!
Were you able to get seats together? I read somewhere that Delta’s economy fare has seats assigned at check in and no guarantee your party is together, including kids.

FYI - Check your Albertsons/Safeway J4U account or app:

KnLjLN6.jpg

I just checked, and it is available on my Randalls account as well.

Were you able to get seats together? I read somewhere that Delta’s economy fare has seats assigned at check in and no guarantee your party is together, including kids.

Regular economy on delta allows seat selection for free (exit row and some other seats have an up charge). Basic economy does not allow seat selection prior to check-in. They do say they will seat a child next to at least one adult on same itinerary (can’t remember their age limit for child).

You won’t find any disagreement with me. I still have a hard time grasping how Amex’s most expensive, super premium consumer rewards card has the least useful or least frequently used category bonus. Who (at least among us) pays for flights? Then I remind myself that the Platinum isn’t really intended for people like us. At least the Platinum card is getting trip delay, interruption and cancelation coverage on those 5x MR flights next year, but the same city round trip requirement means it’s still not as good as the CSR.

We still pay for flights, although far fewer than we used to. When flying DD domestic economy, and now international economy, I didn't think we were getting a great enough return on those points to use them. Plus using my AA miles would have meant 2 stops instead of a non-stop across the country. So yeah, still paying for flights here, but I totally agree with what you're saying. The Plat would get more use if it had the same 3x on travel that the CSR does.

Anyone flown economy international and not hated every minute? Any airlines that are better than others? I put in all this work to find us business class flights to Scotland and got it down to 280K UR + $600 and DH is all meh because he says he’d rather save the UR and fly coach 🙄. You know, the UR that I’ve helped us earn while he plays the stock market. *sigh*

I'm in the camp that UR's are meant to be spent if you have them, but we have flown United coach from STL to Germany, London back to STL and then also flew United coach from STL to Sydney Australia.

The flight to Sydney had a layover in Houston, but from there was incredibly long. We were fortunate on the flight there and back that we had picked the middle aisle seats and the two of us had all three seats since there was no one in the row with us. It definitely gave us more room to put our stuff as well as more room to exist. It wasn't great and I know first/business class would have been MUCH better, but we didn't have enough miles to do that, so we were just thrilled to get free flights wherever they were on the plane!

I have an amex offer for Staples $25 back on $100 purchase. I just registered for SkyMiles through Delta and got an offer for 1000 pnts with a $50 purchase. The SkyMiles link to Staples has an offer of $25 off an online purchase of $125. Is there a $125 Disney GC option and will it trigger all of these bonus/discounts? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts