I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol I had no idea what it was. Dh called it gravy. It was a thick white sauce on the side of the risotto. I mainly just don’t like my food touching or mixed and I’m a big texture eater
Sounds like my daughter. She has distinct separation of food on her plate.

Link your tickets to the DLR app and then you can purchase MaxPass through the app for the day as soon as you’re scanned in at the turnstile. It’ll charge to the credit card linked to your Disney account. There’s no way that I’m aware of to pay for MaxPass with a Disney GC on the app. You may be able to at a ticket booth, but that’s going to take up precious morning park time.
Thanks @Lain Hope your mini vacation was good.

So you can only add day of? Could I do it day before? We will travel from USH on Monday, first DLR day on Tuesday. Do app purchases code as entertainment or whatever DLR website codes (assuming 1x) I’m thinking of using CSR travel credit to buy 1 ticket thru UCT ($340) I’ll have enough TY points for 2 tix with MaxPass.

@CyndiLouWho - a few people suggested quick service options.

Our favorites are the Plaza Inn during lunch and dinner for the famous fried chicken — so good and filling my wife and I can just split it!

Not exactly “quick service,” but Cafe Orleans for the pomme frites and Mickey beignets! But also the gumbo that’s the exact same as at Blue Bayou, but I think at a cheaper price. You can get Mickey beignets at the Mint Julep bar, but Cafe Orleans serves seasonal flavors during Halloween and the holidays and come with dipping sauces. Reservations are highly recommended. (Next door French Market doesn’t require reservations, and has good filling food you can eat and soak in New Orleans Square.)

Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian recently renovated and rebranded to the Craftsman Bar and Grill. Very solid and interesting menu all around. The nachos are great, the mushroom pizza was soooooo good (mmmm umami), corn dog nuggets (ask for a side of cheese dip), wraps and other items with a kind of Californian fusion influence. Just avoid the poke bowl (the fish was scant and not very high quality).

Oh, and of course, Trader Sam’s at the Disneyland Hotel! Grown up drinks and virgin drinks! Fun tiki mugs! Kitschy tiki decor with a little imagineering magic, and lively bartenders! Kids are allowed to sit inside, but just not at the bar. But it’s a really small space and indoor seats are very limited. There’s an outdoor patio that seats a lot more, but you’ll miss the special effects that happen when someone orders certain drinks. Trader Sam’s does have live Hawaiian music on Friday and Saturday nights. Try the pupu platter for a sampling of the menu. They share a kitchen with next door Tangaroa Terrace, so if nothing on the menu appeals to DS, you can order from next door. They serve Dole Whips at the bar outdoor, too.

One more in DCA - we really like Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta. Their pasta plates are very good and massive, so our family of 3 just splits a plate.

Last edited:
Thanks @Lain Hope your mini vacation was good.

So you can only add day of? Could I do it day before? We will travel from USH on Monday, first DLR day on Tuesday. Do app purchases code as entertainment or whatever DLR website codes (assuming 1x) I’m thinking of using CSR travel credit to buy 1 ticket thru UCT ($340) I’ll have enough TY points for 2 tix with MaxPass.

Still on vacay! It’s not yet 7 am Hawaii time but my body is telling me it’s time to get up.

AFAIK, yes if you buy a ticket from a third party, or even from Disneyland and didn’t add MaxPass when you bought it, you can only buy MaxPass on the day of after you’ve scanned in for the day. And yeah, MaxPass via the app doesn’t code as travel, probably entertainment.

The only Character dining that I can think of that’ll get you Mickey and Pluto is Mickey’s Tales of Adventure breakfast buffet at Storytellers Cafe in the Grand Californian. You should also be able to meet Minnie, Chip and Dale, all dressed up in like they’re ready for a hike outdoors. Of the breakfast buffets, I like Storytellers best because the food selection is generally higher quality, Storytellers Cafe feels cozy like you’re in a lodge, and is much less chaotic than other venues like Goofy’s Kitchen and Plaza Inn.

As for parades, the Main Street Electrical Parade just wrapped up its limited run about two weeks ago so I don’t believe there are any nighttime parades. If they ever bring back Paint the Night, it is a must see! There is the afternoon Mickey and Friends cavalcade, but we don’t ever make it a point to see it and usually return to the hotel for swimming or some rest during that time. If you’re going during the holidays, there should be a holiday parade.

I highly recommend Disneyland’s version of Fantasmic - the Sailing Ship Columbia transformed into the Black Pearl, swashbuckling pirates, cannon fire, Sorcerer Mickey fighting a dragon, Mickey and all his friends on the Mark Twain! It’s just an epic show! (And hey, maybe take DS on a ride on the Columbia or Mark Twain earlier in the day, or even onto Tom Sawyer Island.)

We usually splurge on the Blue Bayou Fantasmic dining package, which gets you a prix fixe meal at the Blue Bayou. I think you mentioned your concern that it’s dark in there. It is, but the cool thing about dining in the Blue Bayou is you’re inside the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, and if you’re close enough to the water you can see the boats passing by. Everyone in your party will get a foam seat cushion with a Fantasmic design on it. Blue Bayou will get you the best reserved seating area, on the ground along the walkway right in front of the Rivers of America and centered to Tom Sawyer Island where all the action happens, but prime spots up front are first come first claimed. But because those seat cushions are bulky, you may want to time any reservation closer to the 8 pm time to get seated for the 9 pm show, or around 10:00 pm for the second 10:30 showing, so you’re not lugging those cushions around for too long. If the Blue Bayou menu or price don’t appeal to you, the River Belle Terrace offers an upgraded dining package that seats you outside on the terrace overlooking the Rivers of America, where you can watch the show while you enjoy your dinner. You need to call into Disneyland Dining to book this package and I believe it’s for the first 9 pm showing only. Disneyland Dining can be booked 60 days out, and Fantasmic dining packages get booked up fast. Hungry Bear offers a dining package, but I don’t think their reserved area is very good and you might as well save your money and pull a Fastpass for Fantasmic. The crowds really thin out by the time the second showing runs at 10:30, so you should be able to get a good view then even without spending a lot of money on dining packages.
Thanks for the great insight. Bookmarked it.
We will be there next June. Maybe there will be a night time parade by then. We did see MSEP last time, and WOC. Fantasmic was a one and done at WDW but it sounds like a different show altogether at DLR, so I’ll check it out.
Blue Bayou sounds pricy for the food offerings. The idea of being inside the ride with people in boats going by and looking at me eating is actually not a plus. Lol. I will look at River Belle Terrace menu. That might be a better option anyway as sitting on the ground is difficult for me.

OK. so here goes....I read the first page and willing to throw my info out there if someone is willing to help:

Have any applied for one credit card in the past 2 years: 09/19 - BANK OF AMERICA MERRILL LYNCH Corporate card
Spouse and I have the Citi Thank you Preferred credit card (I have this for years)

1. We used to put everything on our credit card but have recently been using debit as we can get 2% cash back on checking account (limit up to 25K). Otherwise, gas, tolls, groceries, purchases...all on CC.
  2. We pay our CC off each month in full
  3. Fly out of PHL
  4. I am part of AA frequent flyer program and current job will require flight travel 2-3x a year. hotel stays 4-5 times a year (some travel is local)
  5. Southwest DOES service my airport
  6. Marriott and Hilton Honors member
  7. not sure if I have any travel points (most likely NOT as I have had 2 flights to date).
  8. Goal - free hotels or flights to WDW or wherever
  9. Travel party - spouse and child (age 7)
Anxious for the advice but not sure I can keep up with the thread!
Does that Corporate card show up on your credit report? Usually they don't.

When you say you're getting cash back on the checking account for the debit card purchases, is that actual cash back on the purchase or do you need to make X number of purchases a month to get the higher interest rate on the account balance? I'm assuming it's the latter, and if so you can probably make the your purchases in such a way that doesn't take up as much spend. Then you can put more towards minimum spend requirements. Which is what we'll recommend since a sign up bonus on a new card will get the biggest return on spend, generally 10% or better.

@CyndiLouWho - a few people suggested quick service options.

Our favorites are the Plaza Inn during lunch and dinner for the famous fried chicken — so good and filling my wife and I can just split it!

Not exactly “quick service,” but Cafe Orleans for the pomme frites and Mickey beignets! But also the gumbo that’s the exact same as at Blue Bayou, but I think at a cheaper price. You can get Mickey beignets at the Mint Julep bar, but Cafe Orleans serves seasonal flavors during Halloween and the holidays and have dipping sauces. Reservations are highly recommended. (Next door French Market doesn’t require reservations, and has good filling food you can eat and soak in New Orleans Square.)

Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian recently renovated and rebranded to the Craftsman Bar and Grill. Very solid and interesting menu all around. The nachos are great, the mushroom pizza was soooooo good (mmmm umami), corn dog nuggets (ask for a side of cheese dip), wraps and other items with a kind of Californian fusion influence. Just avoid the poke bowl (the fish was scant and not very high quality).

Oh, and of course, Trader Sam’s at the Disneyland Hotel! Grown up drinks and virgin drinks! Fun tiki mugs! Kitschy tiki decor with a little imagineering magic, and lively bartenders! Kids are allowed to sit inside, but just not at the bar. But it’s a really small space and indoor seats are very limited. There’s an outdoor patio that seats a lot more, but you’ll miss the special effects that happen when someone orders certain drinks. Trader Sam’s does have live Hawaiian music on Friday and Saturday nights. Try the pupu platter for a sampling of the menu. They share a kitchen with next door Tangaroa Terrace, so if nothing on the menu appeals to DS, you can order from next door. They serve Dole Whips at the bar outdoor, too.

One more in DCA - we really like Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta. Their pasta plates are very good and massive, so our family of 3 just splits a plate.
Thanks for taking time out of your vacay! I really appreciate it.
So last time we I think did Storytellers at GCH but it was Chip and Dale, plus Pluto and one of the Bears. I love the hotel and restaurant, Craftsman is totally my style. Lol. I just wanted to eat there for the atmosphere. If they have Mickey now, I’m in.
We had Mickey beignets last time, but to-go and didn’t eat anything else at Cafe Orleans so I’ll add it to the list. We didn’t make it to either DL Hotel or Paradise Pier. I have heard Trader Sam’s has long lines, so that deterred us. The pupu platter sounds great. Gyoza/potstickers are in DSs top 5 favorite foods, so he’d be thrilled.

Link your tickets to the DLR app and then you can purchase MaxPass through the app for the day as soon as you’re scanned in at the turnstile. It’ll charge to the credit card linked to your Disney account. There’s no way that I’m aware of to pay for MaxPass with a Disney GC on the app. You may be able to at a ticket booth, but that’s going to take up precious morning park time.
Still on vacay! It’s not yet 7 am Hawaii time but my body is telling me it’s time to get up.

AFAIK, yes if you buy a ticket from a third party, or even from Disneyland and didn’t add MaxPass when you bought it, you can only buy MaxPass on the day of after you’ve scanned in for the day. And yeah, MaxPass via the app doesn’t code as travel, probably entertainment.
So I think I’ll buy a ticket with MaxPass from UCT for $440, use the TC then apply URs for the other $140. I can get the other 2 tix with MaxPass with TY points.

If it was on the side maybe it was gravy. But risotto itself usually makes a creamy sauce coating the rice. I like all sorts of food and have forced myself to eat stuff until I tolerate it. Like okra has this sliminess, hated it but forced myself to eat it. I can’t say I love it, but now if it’s in a dish, I won’t pick it out.
I’m really not sure if it was gravy or not. I’m not really a foodie and I’m terrible at describing food lol. I used to hate broccoli but I can tolerate it now. It has to be separate from all my other food though

So I think I’ll buy a ticket with MaxPass from UCT for $440, use the TC then apply URs for the other $140. I can get the other 2 tix with MaxPass with TY points.

FWIW, I used an UCT ticket w/o MaxPass last year, and was able to add MaxPass and select FPs almost right away after it was scanned. Buying MaxPass on the fly probably added less than 2 minutes or so. Also, YMMV extremely on this, but we were there at the front of the line at RD, and after I chatted with the CM at the turnstile about MaxPass and what we wanted to do, he was kind enough to scan our tickets a few minutes before opening, so that I could add it before we walked through the turnstiles. (Interestingly, I couldn't select a FP until people were actually let in through the turnstiles, which is the "almost right away" I mentioned above.)

Last edited:
thatnks- this still leaves my question about EP...say we have a large family group, and I have EP for 5 souls..... can we share those room cards among us as needed? Like I can hand the card (I should get 5) to my bro,who can use it to ride,etc? This way we can share the love a little among our group....
They take your picture at most of the rides for EP, I assume they're using that to make sure the correct person is using it, but I've never really tested that. You might want to ask on the Universal part if the boards to find out for sure though...
They are definitely looking At the photos. A few times the light didn’t turn green for me at first and they looked at the previous picture. Now two sisters or two brothers could probably pass but male to female or ivery different facial features (ie DS has a beard) probably would get flagged and not allowed.

I think someone could have a bad story about every airline out there. For us, it’s United. Flew RT to China. Flight there was fine, flight back was terrible. We were skipped for food service, I was yelled at for asking for hot water for baby formula, DH was kicked by flight attendant, plus it was a turbulent flight. But honestly if they had the seats I wanted for points or price I wanted, I’d fly United. We’ve flown AA multiple times in the past 5 years and never had a problem (to Orlando, California and Vancouver) but of course there are people who have had issues.
Is flying ever enjoyable? I don’t think I’ve ever gotten off a flight and thought”Gee that was fun” It’s just a way to get from point A to point B with varying levels of discomfort.

FYI - Save $10 on $100+ MCGCs at Safeway and Albertsons et al, from now through 10/26/19. Check your Just 4 U app and add this offer ASAP, as these coupons have been known to disappear before the expiration date.

More details at DISchurners:
riJdP4D.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!