I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, everyone for your golf club input! It was actually a good thing to contact his teacher. He had someone donated a set so DS will be coming home with one tomorrow :) It will be good enough hopefully until we know if it is something he will continue with. Maybe a Christmas present since right now his list consists of nothing so the tree will be very empty. Not that it matters since we'll be in Punta Cana and Orlando for the holiday.

As some of you may know I started churning in May 2018 to save for a WDW trip in April 2020. Hard to believe that trip is now booked! And I will soon have to part with my URs. So since Disney is no longer on the portal I've been trying to figure out the best way to pay with my URs. I figured cashing out to buy discounted Disney gift cards would be my best bet. I'm still looking to grab a few more cards and I came up with this plan.
I'd like about $6000 in Disney gift cards, so...
if I apply for a Chase Ink Cash and buy $3000 worth of Disney gift cards at Staples. I'd get $650 back between the 5% and the SUB.
So it would basically cost me $2350 for $3000 in DGCs
Then I would have DH sign up for a CIU and again buy $3000 worth of Disney gift cards getting back $545 between the 1.5% and the SUB.
making the cost for $3000 in DGC = $2455
Add those together and I have $6000 worth of Disney gift cards that cost $4,805 - which is about a 20% savings right?
I would then plan to use my existing URs to pay the balance on the cards or maybe better to get a check and deposit it and pay it off from a bank account.
I just came up with this idea and would love to hear some thoughts on it. Am I missing anything obvious (or not so obvious) that would make this not work?
Thanks as always!!!

ETA: I just realized for the CIU spend we could even buy at BJs for a bit more of a discount!
Definitely consider @SouthFayetteFan 's suggestion. As for your current plan, don't forget about the support bonus for having DH sign up for CIU from your CIC. (it's confusing but CIC can support CIU. no support for CIC :( )

Off the top of my head -

Option 1: 2 CIC's
You both sign up for CIC's and get all your GCs at office supply stores. That'd be $650+$650=$1,300. That should be about 21% off.

Option 2: 1 CIC > 1 CIU
You get the CIC, use your support link for DH to get the CIU. Use the CIC to get the 3k at office supply stores. Use the CIU at stores with a discount. Let's use BJ's as an example for now.

CIC would be $650 + $150 (assuming the support tracks) for $800.
CIU would be $545 + $120 (assuming 4% discount from BJ's) for $665. [But you'd need to make up that $120 in other spend to make the 3k threshold, to keep it simple-ish]
That should be 6k of Disney GC's for $4535 OOP, so close to 25% off.

Option 3: 2 CIU's
You sign up for CIU, use your support link for DH to get the CIU. Use the CIU's at stores with a GC at a discount. Assuming the support tracks, I think that'd be $665+665+$150=$1480. I believe that's also close to 25%.

3 weeks ago I shared a comment all about the Southwest Companion Pass (SW CP) on DISchurners entitled: A Fireside Chat with SouthFayetteFan on the Southwest Companion Pass

If you didn't have a chance to read it and you are pursuing a 2020/2021 companion pass (or even are mildly interested in the CP), I recommend taking a look:
Within that comment I share that my recommended CP strategy is 2 biz cards founded a little bit in paranoia but perhaps also a logical argument around the 1 SW card rule.

I am sharing this again today because I feel strongly that Thursday or Friday is the absolute safe zone to apply for your first SW card in pursuit of the 2020/2021 CP. Some people have already applied and that is fine, but if you were waiting to give yourself some buffer, 10/10 and beyond should be a good date with little stress around how to make it all work.

Additionally you want to note that Ads have been circulating on the Southwest Performance Business Card 80,000 Point Bonus stating that this offer ends on 10/16/2019 (next Wednesday). Nobody truly knows what will happen with this bonus after that date but there is certainly a risk that it will decrease and 80,000 SW points from one bonus is a phenomenal deal. The 80,000 point offer is NOT available via support link so you aren't able to cross-support or self-support and there is no need to check DISchurners on that one. However, when you pursue your 2nd card (likely in Dec or Jan for most people) there is probably a chance to pay it forward with some support on that one.

Good luck to all pursuing a CP. If you are interested in some specific guidance on this, don't hesitate to drop me a PM here on the DIS.

EDIT: There are now 5 SW cards (3 personal and 2 Biz) with various bonuses and rules across each so if you haven't been keeping up with CP news recently then it's important to develop a strategy before you pull the trigger on the first card. Things have changed a lot over the past 12+ months there.

Last edited:
Hey all! :wave:

I am back! So took some time off from the board after my wife said no more trips. Was just a bit painful to watch everyone have so much fun. HAH. Anyway finally convinced my wife to go on another tip after our bad experience with room checks last year. Still bummed that Chase has not added Disney back yet, was really hoping by the time we went back they would have reversed their decision. Booked the rooms last night, staying the arrival night at the Hyatt (Points) then moving to Pop early the next morning to get a full day in, then the last two nights we are staying at AoA Finding Nemo suite for free from Disney. Put the tickets and dining plan on the first res and figured we would not need the DP on the last. Prob going to just cash out what points are left in Chase after moving some to SW for the flights when they release the summer schedule.

PS... Take it easy on me, I skipped like 2,000 pages.

American and Alaska ended their partnership last week so you can't redeem one mileage currency for flights on the other amy more.
I believe that goes into effect 3/1/2020, so there should be a few months left. But not something I'd plan on for a long term redemption.

Additionally you want to note that Ads have been circulating on the Southwest Performance Business Card 80,000 Point Bonus stating that this offer ends on 10/16/2019 (next Wednesday). Nobody truly knows what will happen with this bonus after that date but there is certainly a risk that it will decrease and 80,000 SW points from one bonus is a phenomenal deal. The 80,000 point offer is NOT available via support link so you aren't able to cross-support or self-support and there is no need to check DISchurners on that one. However, when you pursue your 2nd card (likely in Dec or Jan for most people) there is probably a chance to pay it forward with some support on that one.

Well shoot, this changes everything... Ah really nothing, who we kidding I had no plan I just showed up 30 seconds ago! Might have to get the wife on this one and go for her CP. My CP expires at the end of this year, I just terminated the $69 SW card last night and was planning on killing the $99 one next week.

Last edited:
3 weeks ago I shared a comment all about the Southwest Companion Pass (SW CP) on DISchurners entitled: A Fireside Chat with SouthFayetteFan on the Southwest Companion Pass

If you didn't have a chance to read it and you are pursuing a 2020/2021 companion pass (or even are mildly interested in the CP), I recommend taking a look:
Within that comment I share that my recommended CP strategy is 2 biz cards founded a little bit in paranoia but perhaps also a logical argument around the 1 SW card rule.

I am sharing this again today because I feel strongly that Thursday or Friday is the absolute safe zone to apply for your first SW card in pursuit of the 2020/2021 CP. Some people have already applied and that is fine, but if you were waiting to give yourself some buffer, 10/10 and beyond should be a good date with little stress around how to make it all work.

Good luck to all pursuing a CP. If you are interested in some specific guidance on this, don't hesitate to drop me a PM here on the DIS.

EDIT: There are now 5 SW cards (3 personal and 2 Biz) with various bonuses and rules across each so if you haven't been keeping up with CP news recently then it's important to develop a strategy before you pull the trigger on the first card. Things have changed a lot over the past 12+ months there.
I double-checked this morning and there is still no Biz Performance support. I'll continue to check and let everyone know if one appears.

What is up with GE appointments? Both my girls need appointments for our March trip and the best I could find was Dallas 12/24. I really don't want to drive to Dallas on Christmas Eve.
Keep checking, things change frequently. Or you could do like we did. I scheduled a short trip to Vegas to get our appointments there!

I'm starting to think I made a big mistake.

Upgraded my Chase Freedom U to a CSR last week. The picture converted over (number obviously stayed the same). I have transferred a few smaller point balances to CSR, no problem. Converted husbands small balances to CSR, no problem. Go to my business account and it wont let me add any card outside of my business cards to move points. Am I screwed? Can I call customer service? I SWEAR I've done this before but maybe I was just always moving to my business account and never out of....

Upgraded my Chase Freedom U to a CSR last week. The picture converted over (number obviously stayed the same). I have transferred a few smaller point balances to CSR, no problem. Converted husbands small balances to CSR, no problem. Go to my business account and it wont let me add any card outside of my business cards to move points. Am I screwed? Can I call customer service? I SWEAR I've done this before but maybe I was just always moving to my business account and never out of....

Let me start with I have been gone well over 2,000 pages, but this happened to me a few years back. It turned out you could only link each card to one account... So to move stuff around I had to form chains, Like my wifes card to my CF, then to my CIC then to my CIP... I still use this process to date, so not sure anything changed yet. In each step the points pool forward all the way to the end were I want them.

Let me start with I have been gone well over 2,000 pages, but this happened to me a few years back. It turned out you could only link each card to one account... So to move stuff around I had to form chains, Like my wifes card to my CF, then to my CIC then to my CIP... I still use this process to date, so not sure anything changed yet. In each step the points pool forward all the way to the end were I want them.

Right! I swear this is what ive done in the past.....but I have 3 BIZ cards and I tried every card I had and nothing would link, kept getting the unexpected error. It will only let me add cards and transfer to other biz cards. :(

Nope, you just need to daisy chain the accounts. So you move your biz points to DH's account and then move the points from DH's account to your CSR. I have to do this also with my CIU, CIP and CIC. I move to DH's CIC and then move my CSR.

Unfortunately, it seems for a cobranded card , they want to see some more credit history than being and AU. My DD got denied for a Marriott card (from a mailer sent to her) and had had her own credit union Visa and a Discover for almost a year. At one year of having that card, she was approved for a Freedom. She hasn't tried again for a cobranded card...but soon!
If she can't get that card, try the CFU. My DD and other college kids on this thread were able to start with that card and very minimal (far, far less than what you listed) income.

Thank you for the comments. That's kind of a bummer. She's heard me talk about everything points and flying and staying places for free and wanted to get in on the action. We figured since she was sent a mailer she would be qualified. It looks like she is probably not going to get the card. I hope she's not too discouraged to try again for awhile.

How long would you suggest waiting to try for the CFU? I guess if she got that one, she could transfer the points to my UR accounts and I could book her tickets that way. At this point, she is still living at home, so I assume that would work.

Right! I swear this is what ive done in the past.....but I have 3 BIZ cards and I tried every card I had and nothing would link, kept getting the unexpected error. It will only let me add cards and transfer to other biz cards. :(
I'd remove them and give it 24 hours and try again. I had this issue too and that's worked for me to get them sent back to a card in my personal login.

Crazy observation - the r/churning Daily Discussion thread has generated only 59 comments on a non-holiday Fall Monday as we near the end of the work day on the east coast. It definitely feels like churning is dying down a bit. Or perhaps people are moving into other groups away from that mainstream reddit sub. (Or both??)

I'm glad we have OUR community here where while churning is the bond that brings us together, we also talk about other things as well and keep that community feel going even when churning news is slow. :D :D

Last edited:
I think I've seen this discussed before, how many times do you need to use a SW CP for it to be "worth it"?
For us it was worth getting as close to the beginning of the year as possible to get almost 2 years out of it.
.back then we used it once a year, We continue to get it now that we travel SW more often visiting our son.

I think it depends on your situation and what other cards you could be applying for instead of two SW cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!